What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Husker4theSpurs

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Husker4theSpurs » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:14 pm

I caught "Brittany Runs A Marathon" at the theater recently ... highly recommend it.

Others viewed recently in the theater that I can recommend:

"One Child Nation" - about China's past child bearing policy
"Ready or Not" - fun and decent, not great
"Blinded By the Light" - must see
"The Farewell" - maybe the best film I've seen this year
"Luce" - worthwhile discussion on race

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:24 pm

Echo in the Canyon

Documentary that features the music of the Laurel Canyon,
California bands that were at their peak in the 1964-1967
era. Highlights the Byrds, Beach Boys, Mamas and the Papas,
Buffalo Springfield, etc. Multiple interviews with many of
the surviving band members.
One disappointment: about 25% of the featured music was
the well known, best-of-group songs but about 75% seemed
to be the more obscure, second-rate, forgettable songs--
couldn't figure that one out. All in all, not bad. 7/10
Viewed at a theater.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:05 pm

Love & Mercy - 8/10
Biopic about Brian Wilson during recording of Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, and Smiley Smile, interlaced with him 20 years later as his current wife saves him from a nefarious doctor using him for his wealth.

The scenes of him in the studio are fantastic; Paul Dano nails the persona of young Brian during this period.

deanbrew

Post by deanbrew » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:17 pm

batpot wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:05 pm
Love & Mercy - 8/10
Biopic about Brian Wilson during recording of Pet Sounds, Good Vibrations, and Smiley Smile, interlaced with him 20 years later as his current wife saves him from a nefarious doctor using him for his wealth.

The scenes of him in the studio are fantastic; Paul Dano nails the persona of young Brian during this period.
I saw this movie a couple of years ago, and still recommend it to friends regularly. I think it is a great movie.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 am

Soylant Green was on yesterday. Seems to be coming true hmmm..

Elric

Post by Elric » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:05 pm

DW and I saw the documentary "Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice" in the theater earlier tonight. :thumbsup :thumbsup
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

Juliajones54

Post by Juliajones54 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Downton Abbey yesterday and Linda Ronstadt this afternoon. Both 10/10 for us. We really enjoyed Laurel Canyon too.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:58 pm

Two movies this week:

Poms - I will admit that the movie has a weak plot. However, it is probably one of the funniest movies in a long time, sometimes intended, sometimes not.

The Band's Visit - Explores the relationship between an Egyptian band that is dropped off in the wrong Israeli town and the relationships they develop in one night.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:01 am

Wall-E. The pessimist side of me thinks this what we will evolve into.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:02 am

Grey Wolf on Prime.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Elric

Post by Elric » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am

Juliajones54 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 pm
Downton Abbey yesterday and Linda Ronstadt this afternoon. Both 10/10 for us. We really enjoyed Laurel Canyon too.
Is Laurel Canyon on a streaming service? If so, which one? Thanks!
"No man is free who works for a living." | Illya Kuryakin

rst113

Post by rst113 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:59 am

Elric wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:13 am
Juliajones54 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:31 pm
Is Laurel Canyon on a streaming service? If so, which one? Thanks!
It looks like you can watch for free on sonycrackle with ads. I like to use justwatch.com to find where movies/shows are available to stream which might be useful for many here.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:26 pm

(warning, possibly minor spoilers)

The Avengers: Endgame

Before I explain what I liked / didn't like about this movie I want to explain that when I watched Avengers: Infinity War I honestly thought that was the last Avengers movie and I was beyond thrilled with the ending because it was unexpected and deliciously dark. When I found out that there would be another installment I was a little disappointed because I figured the superheros would figure out some silly way to undo what Thanos did. I guess I just like movies that end in surprising ways instead of the usual tropes. I also am not a comic book fan so I don't know much about the characters outside of the movies.

What I liked about The Avengers: Endgame was the humor and great acting. Honestly this is a really well performed movie with good pacing, beautiful cinematography, and great bits of humor flecked all through it. It is a 3 hour movie but entrancing the entire way through. (Minor spoiler here) My one bone to pick is the time travel plot, I really think it is the laziest thing a movie can do and am disappointed it went this route. That's the only thing I have against the movie. Maybe time travel is something normal in the comics but in my opinion only one movie has done time travel well and that is Primer.

I will definitely watch both movies again and try to contain my disappointment in Endgame enough to enjoy the 95% of the movie that is excellent.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Ad Astra. The movie is trite and pretentious. Not recommended.

Brad Pitt is a talented and engaging actor. But he seems to pick a lot of bad projects. Or perhaps Hollywood just doesn't have a lot of good ideas these days.

Check out Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood to see what Pitt can do in a good role.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:56 pm

jginseattle wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:31 pm

Brad Pitt is a talented and engaging actor. But he seems to pick a lot of bad projects. Or perhaps Hollywood just doesn't have a lot of good ideas these days.

Check out Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood to see what Pitt can do in a good role.
I agree with you, though the critics seem to , for reasons I don't understand, like Ad Astra.
The problem wasn't Pitt. The problem was that the whole thing was tedious, and the conclusion was unsatisfying. I just kept asking myself "Is that all there is???"
I could sit through 45 minutes of 2001 A Space Odyssey without hearing one word of dialogue because it was so captivating , and I recall spending hours discussing the meaning of the ending. Not so with Ad Astra.....I kept fighting to keep my eyes open.
OUAT in Hollywood was excellent.

Stormbringer

Post by Stormbringer » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:38 pm

I watched The Gambler (2014). Bad movie, but has one of the most Boglehead-ish scenes I've ever watched (warning: NSFW, profanity).
"Compound interest is the most powerful force in the universe." - Albert Einstein

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Classic, but please don't use that phrase (nor any abbreviation associated with it) in this forum. It's above our family-friendly threshold. Thanks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:30 pm

bearcub wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 am
How so?
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:35 pm

I saw these 5 in the theater last week.

1. Linda Ronstadt: The Sound of My Voice - fabulous documentary about her life and music. Highly recommended.

2. Miles Davis Birth of the Cool - documentary about his life and music. A must for any jazz fan.

3. Downton Abbey - well done, entertaining worth seeing if you watched the TV series.

4. Ad Astra - well done, good acting, plot fell flat.

5. The Goldfinch - well done, good acting, I enjoyed it even though I did not read the book.

Dave

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:38 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:30 pm
bearcub wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:43 am
How so?
See https://soylent.com/

Note that the cover flavor is, well, packaged in green (mint).

The ingredients have not yet matched the movie, but there are indeed those suggesting that something vaguely similar be explored.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:05 pm

Wolf of Wall Street. Every time I see it: crazy!
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:48 pm

One week this week:

Luce - One of the better suspense thrillers that I have seen in a while. I am not sure that I have figures out who is the evil party in this story.

Momus

Post by Momus » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:16 am

Recently, I binged marvel and DC movies:

Deadpool 2 8/10

Dark Phoenix 6/10

Ant and wasp 7/10

Aquaman 8/10 - new underwater concept, crappy story development, good cgi

Avengers end game 9/10 - hard to top this one off for superheroes genre

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:34 am

bengal22...how so. Animal agriculture, overpopulation, shrinking resources,etc. I hope for the best + prepare for the worst. Goverments are.... fill in the blank.

josehde

Post by josehde » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:06 am

jginseattle wrote:

Haven't seen Ad Astra yet, but was also very impressed with Pitt on Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. It's his bad projects that made me think of him before as only there for his good looks, but then you see him on stuff like OUATIH and realize he is more than just a pretty boy.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:43 pm

Honeyland

The previews led me to believe this docudrama would be an
intriguing story of a modern peasant keeping bees in rural
Macedonia and would be a kind of human to bees symbiotic
relationship in a natural setting. It turned out to be depressing
and not nearly enough about the bees.
The film was more about poverty and deprivation and the
horrors of crude, unruly new neighbors thrashing the serenity
of the beekeeper.
I endured until a little past the midpoint and then made my
departure. 2/10

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:02 pm

Bell Book and Candle on DVD

1958 Technicolor starring James Stewart and Kim Novak
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

bpp

Post by bpp » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:38 am

Aniara, Swedish SF, picked up on a lark at DVD rental store without knowing anything about it.

It was good! Turns out to be based on a poem by Nobel prize winner Harry Martinson. Very moody, “slow SF.” Thought I caught a couple of homages to Tarkovsky’s Solaris (almost-duplicate of opening shot of Solaris shows up briefly at one point, and the big round windows from the Solaris station seem to be referenced in one place.)

Recommended for those who liked Solaris (Tarkovsky’s version, not Soderbergh’s short-attention-span version), Arrival, or Blade Runner 2049.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am

Just watched Light of my Life about a father and daughter existing in a post plaque world where almost all females perished. A very simple, slow moving touching story. I thought it was a very good movie with a positive feminine message.

nonfacebookuser365

Post by nonfacebookuser365 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:53 am

Joker.

Not bad. The violence is not any worse than the average movie.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:02 pm

Downtown Abbey. Enjoyable but:

- plot lines were entirely predictable
- the Maggie Smith character had too many snarky lines. On the TV show they seemed less frequent, more well-placed and therefore extremely effective. In the movie I thought the screenwriter (Julian Fellowes) used too many, probably because he thought that's what the audience wanted.

Those two points aside, I certainly do recommend the movie.
Friar1610

anonenigma

Post by anonenigma » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:12 pm

Parasite. Incredible film from South Korea. Picks up where last year's Shoplifters (Japan) and Burning (South Korea) left off. Metacritic score: 95.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 pm

Peanut Butter Falcon, in theaters now. Beautiful movie.

7eight9

Post by 7eight9 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Molly's Game - Molly's Game is a 2017 American biographical crime drama film written and directed by Aaron Sorkin (in his directorial debut), based on the memoir of the same name by Molly Bloom. It stars Jessica Chastain, Idris Elba, Kevin Costner, Michael Cera, Jeremy Strong, Chris O'Dowd, and Bill Camp. The film follows Bloom (Chastain), who becomes the target of an FBI investigation of the underground poker empire she runs for Hollywood celebrities, athletes, business tycoons, and the Russian mob.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molly%27s_Game

It is available on DVD. I liked it so much I watched it twice.
Last edited by 7eight9 on Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:01 pm

josehde wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:06 am
jginseattle wrote:

Haven't seen Ad Astra yet, but was also very impressed with Pitt on Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. It's his bad projects that made me think of him before as only there for his good looks, but then you see him on stuff like OUATIH and realize he is more than just a pretty boy.
My friend and I both were frustrated by Ad Astra. Excited to see a near future apparently more realistic SF story with good actors and production budget. Quite disappointed in the just plain dumb writing that did no live up to their apparent aspirations/pretensions. While watching the movie you could easily visualize the 4th group of screen doctors to take a crack at it thinking 'let's graft on this cool looking shootout that in no way advances the plot or characterization" and "this spooky space station bit of horror" stupidly tacked on side quest. Again... dumb. And the big danger motivating his mission is just... an accident?

If it was supposed to be a somewhat more grounded, more psychological Interstellar, it failed miserably.

rich126

Post by rich126 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:15 pm

I'm not a big movie goer, I prefer the comforts of my home but I have a friend who likes going so we go to a nice theater (fancy recliners) for a matinee.

Anyhow we saw Joker on Friday. It was well done but not what I expected. I thought it was very slow for about 75% of the movie. My friend (an older guy) found parts of it tough to watch (didn't ask why). The acting was good. I'm actually surprised that the movie is doing as well as it is since it doesn't play into the action type of movies that usually do better.

And I wasn't someone who was a big fan of the superhero movies since many of them seemed to be very similar (big fight, destroy a city).

I wouldn't see it again. At least it was only 2 hrs (I'm not a fan of long movies).

And I did see the newest Spiderman on Amazon Prime (some special for $4). That was entertaining and I preferred it over a bunch of the other superhero type movies.

rj342

Post by rj342 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:24 pm

rich126 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:15 pm
I'm not a big movie goer, I prefer the comforts of my home but I have a friend who likes going so we go to a nice theater (fancy recliners) for a matinee.

Anyhow we saw Joker on Friday. It was well done but not what I expected. I thought it was very slow for about 75% of the movie. My friend (an older guy) found parts of it tough to watch (didn't ask why). The acting was good. I'm actually surprised that the movie is doing as well as it is since it doesn't play into the action type of movies that usually do better.

And I wasn't someone who was a big fan of the superhero movies since many of them seemed to be very similar (big fight, destroy a city).

I wouldn't see it again. At least it was only 2 hrs (I'm not a fan of long movies).

And I did see the newest Spiderman on Amazon Prime (some special for $4). That was entertaining and I preferred it over a bunch of the other superhero type movies.
What's funny is some people dismiss Joker as a mere comic book movie, but the whole point is that it does a pretty good job at transcending - or expanding -- the genre. It is intentionally NOT another Marvel blockbuster. others seem to be disappointed that it isn't.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:29 pm

Watched Fractured on Netflix. They completely Telegraphed where the movie was headed, which when they did end that way I thought "why did I just watch this?".

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:11 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:18 pm
Peanut Butter Falcon, in theaters now. Beautiful movie.
We saw this movie too and thought it was great. I highly recommend it.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:29 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am
Just watched Light of my Life about a father and daughter existing in a post plaque world where almost all females perished. A very simple, slow moving touching story. I thought it was a very good movie with a positive feminine message.
Thanks, just added this to my Netflix queue. When I saw the cover I immediately thought of one of my favorite books (and movie) "The Road".
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:37 pm

Downtown Abbey the movie, which I found enjoyable despite never seeing the TV show.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:49 am

Elsebet wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:29 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:51 am
Thanks, just added this to my Netflix queue. When I saw the cover I immediately thought of one of my favorite books (and movie) "The Road".
Yes indeed. Not a lot of action but the story is fascinating. Hope you enjoy. Into the Forest is another doomsday film that focuses on a father and 2 daughters. I get movies from my library.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53 am

El Camino (Netflix).

Continues "Breaking Bad" and tells what happened to Jessie Pinkman after the final episode of BB.

Well worth it for BB fans.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am

bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53 am
El Camino (Netflix).

Continues "Breaking Bad" and tells what happened to Jessie Pinkman after the final episode of BB.

Just found out about this movie.
DW and I planning to watch it this week.
j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:59 am

John Wick 3

DW and I "endured" watching this to the end.
Video Game fans might enjoy the style of filming and thin plot line, and non stop action. (like watching a video game).
Movie fans might not.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:00 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:57 am
bloom2708 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:53 am
El Camino (Netflix).

Just found out about this movie.
DW and I planning to watch it this week.
Would have watched it already but my wife is out of town and she'd kill me (possibly literally) if i watched it without her. For me, easily the most anticipated movie of the year.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:01 am

Green Book

DW and I enjoyed this movie.
Wonderfully done.
Thoughtful.

*Based on a true story.
Synopsis:
Dr Don Shirley is a world-class African-American pianist, who is about to embark on a concert tour in the Deep South in 1962. In need of a driver and protection, Shirley recruits Tony Lip, a tough-talking bouncer from an Italian-American neighbourhood in the Bronx. Despite their differences, the two men soon develop an unexpected bond while confronting racism and danger in an era of segregation.

Horton

Post by Horton » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:15 pm

We rarely watch movies, and even more rarely go to the theater, but we've had more leisure time than normal the past couple months and have watched a fair number of films. Browsing through our Prime Video history, here are the films we have watched in the past couple months:

Rocky I
Rocky II
Forever My Girl
Becket
The Perfect Game
Henry Poole is Here
Into the Storm
I Can Only Imagine
Saint Ralph

Rather eclectic selection, IMO. Depending on the mood, I would probably watch all of them again.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:20 pm

Cate Blanchett is hilarious in Richard Linklater's Where'd You Go, Bernadette? Recommended.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... ts-command

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:43 pm

“Hidden Figures”. True story regarding the early years of NASA. Enjoyed it.