What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
6miths

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by 6miths »

Went to see 'Yesterday' yesterday. DW and I quite enjoyed it. Some great music, obviously!
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
OCDinvestor

Post by OCDinvestor »

Philadelphia... one of Tom Hank’s most underrated movies. Free on Amazon Prime TV app.

Top 5 best Tom Hanks movies of all time... ? Anyone?
ilovedogs

Post by ilovedogs »

sedonashine wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:00 am "A SINGLE FRAME" amazon prime....heartbreaking,yet very inspired ..one American's quest to find a child in a photo taken in war torn Kosovo

I watched "A Single Frame" yesterday and it was very well done and memorable. Thanks for telling me about it.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

Pavarotti

First rate documentary about the legendary tenor
Luciano Pavarotti. Beautifully crafted film radiating
the charm, enthusiasm, and exuberance of the singer.
The documentary touches on the personal side of
Pavarotti behind the scenes and many public performances.
One does not have to be into opera or know a lot about
it to enjoy this film.
Highly recommended.
Viewed at a theater.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Bottle Rocket (early Wes Anderson) - 8.75/10
Was free on Roku.

Have seen this movie multiple times in the past, but I think this is the first time watching it with a music subscription.

This song has been stuck in my head for days.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=899Wypv4rd0
btenny

Post by btenny »

Went to Yesterday last night. Very good movie with great music and a pretty good story line. DW and I both liked it a lot.....

Enjoy and Good Luck...
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

OCDinvestor wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:40 pm Philadelphia... one of Tom Hank’s most underrated movies. Free on Amazon Prime TV app.

Top 5 best Tom Hanks movies of all time... ? Anyone?
Big
The 'Burbs
League of their Own
Saving Private Ryan
Apollo 13

Edit - After a quick perusal of IMDB, I'll replace Saving Private Ryan with Road to Perdition.
Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 »

Really liked Yesterday at the theater. Based on the story's premise thought it might be "Hollywooded" at the end, but it wasn't.

The music though was oddly familiar.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Today's movie was The Lion King (2019). A slight disappointment. Everyone that I went with thought that it was not as good as the animated version.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Detective Dee: The Four Heavenly Kings (2018). Back in the day, which would be the early 1990s, Tsui Hark used to make amazing movies in Hong Kong on tiny budgets. Now he's making amazing movies on much larger budgets, and a good thing too.

Because I had watched the two previous Detective Dee movies when they were on Netflix, Netflix notified me as soon as this one became available ha ha who am I kidding I found it by accident while looking for something completely different. Because whatever Netflix is keeping my viewing history for, making useful recommendations isn't part of it.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood. Quentin Tarantino's new film is leisurely-paced and very entertaining. Recommended if you're a fan of the director's work.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/movi ... eview.html
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

ruralavalon wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 am WHOA!
SPOILER ALERT!
:twisted:
SoAnyway wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm
joe8d wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm

Never heard of that one.What's it about?
Duuuudddeee....Where ya been? :confused

It's a Marvel (2019) animated action-docu-comeddrama. Think: Mashup of "Avengers" meets "Big Bang Theory" meets "Jack Bogle" meets "normal people like us". That last one's to be taken at face value, btw - not a (respectively) film/TV show/celebrity-Lord-God-King-our mentor, RIP - just "us". ; ) Ok, SoAnyway....

Setting: Finance internet forum. Basic plot: A poster on the forum hits "Submit" on a post that shouldn't have been submitted. The poster realized a bit too late that if it remained on the forum in its current state DISASTER might strike; the entire forum might be thrown off its purpose; some thin-skinned hypersensitive reader might get offended and raise a stink that the mods feel the need to respond to; and/or whatever.....

Due to forum settings over which the non-admin poster has no control, the poster has no way of "undoing" the "Submit".... In desperation, the poster simply hits "Edit" and deletes the entire content and hits "Submit".

Plot twist: The algorithm responds that the poster's edit cannot be submitted because it (and I quote) "contains too few characters". Say WHAT??? :confused Oh no! :o

Poster quickly says "Fine", and goes in again with 6 characters (To wit: "Delete") and hits "Submit". Success! :sharebeer

Here's where things get even more fun! Hearing the poster's "SOS", in come the REAL heroes: Fearless Leader LadyGeek (think "Black Widow" or "Wonder Woman", wearing similar gear but with a pocket protector), along with her team of superheroes (similarly - same gear, with pocket protectors, high water pants and plaid shirts that don't match, etc.) swoop in and remove the post in its entirety along with your reply AND this one....

THE END. :sharebeer
RM [with missing pocket protector, but with some nice slide rules, including circular] :happy
I am totally speechless. :D
My gosh :shock: , someone else remembers slide rules.
ResearchMed, LadyGeek, RuralAvalon - Hooray and yay you!! :sharebeer Y'all are my superheroes....
Thank you for your very well-played responses, and more importantly, for all you do to make the forum a better place. :happy

A couple sidebars/"SoAnyway"s:
- RM, you rock! First, I hope the slide rules didn't do any damage to your shirt pockets back in the day if you were going "condomless" (as it were), hahaha. I've not used or seen a slide rule in years - standard or otherwise - but remember them fondly and well. You still have your circular slide rules? Dang. Now THAT's impressive.... :shock: Second, please let the record show that the above-quoted exchange between us rendered LadyGeek (and I quote) "totally speechless". Yeah, THAT doesn't happen every day.....! :shock:
- Joe8d, yeah I kinda "got" that you were kidding. Which is why I responded the way I did. More to the point: Thanks for pitching the meatball. I dare say that with the assistance of the superheroes named above, we hit it out of the park. Hopefully, some readers found the exchange entertaining, which - to keep things on-topic - is the point of all of the films discussed in this thread.
:sharebeer
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

SoAnyway wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:55 pm
Artful Dodger wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 pm
SoAnyway wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:52 pm
miles monroe wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:24 pm yesterday which i thot was worth the investment in time and money seeing it at the theater.
yesterday is the story of an unsuccessful musician who wakes up after a 12 second global power outage -- and is the only person in the world who has ever heard of the beatles.
Thanks, MM! I'm really looking forward to seeing "Yesterday". Based on your input, I might even spring for seeing it on the big screen vs. waiting for my library to pull it into the digital catalog, lol..... ; ) BTW, I'm also looking forward to the upcoming film that premiered at Sundance (to great applause) about a Pakistani guy in England who becomes a HUGE Bruce Springsteen fan. (see links below)

Stepping back, it's interesting to me how several films of late are/have been coming out that bring forth the music/artists/lyrics/rhythms that SO spoke to this Gen-Xer in my youth and "re-ignite" what I felt then - albeit with my Baby Boomer elder siblings' heavy influences on my tastes. (Sidebar: Also interesting how many of the films coming out involve/include immigrants out of the chaos in South Asia at the time, btw.)

My earlier posts in this thread re. Queen/"Bohemian Rhapsody"/Freddie Mercury are a good example. BTW, I was a big fan of the musicianship and artistry of Elton John/Bernie Taupin in my youth, but all the costumes/weirdness of Elton's early days - that the recent film "Rocket Man" covers - was a distraction, I thought back then; I was glad when he decided to drop all that, and just let his sick-brilliant work/who he was speak for themselves. So "Rocket Man" is on the list for e-library download vs. big screen - I'll be more interested in seeing the film of his work from the time AFTER that phase of his career.... ; )

SoAnyway, as the Grammy campaign a while back hilariously illustrated: "Music Unleashes Us". ; ) Happy viewing, all! :sharebeer

Links to Trailers:
Yesterday (Beatles) 3:10*
Blinded by the Light (Springsteen) 02:35
Rocket Man (Elton John) 02:32
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen/Freddie Mercury) 02:30

Links to 2014 "Music Unleashes Us" Grammy campaign ads:
"Roar" (Katy Perry) 00:30
"Just Give Me a Reason" (Pink) 00:31
"Can't Hold Us" (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) 00:30

*It's worth watching this "Yesterday" trailer just for the whole "Hey Dude" sequence starting at 2:46.... I almost died laughing, hahaha.... :happy
My wife and I saw Yesterday a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. I joked that maybe the ending will be like Dallas, and he'll wake up from a dream, but it was actually well thought out. Some touching moments at the end as well. I don't know if you've seen the trailers, but the scene where Ed Shearon is telling him to change Hey Jude to Hey Dude is pretty funny. EDIT - I see you did see the trailer.

We had planned to go see Rocketman, but it was nowhere near us so we went to Yesterday, which had just come out. Maybe Rocketman hasn't been that well received. Really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody.
Thank you, AD!! We're kindred musical/film spirits, for sure. :sharebeer More to the point, thanks for not "spoiling", as I've not yet seen "Yesterday" (but WILL!). :happy

SoAnyway.... Like you, having seen the "Yesterday" trailer, I wondered/worried about the ending and whether it would be some lame Hollywood bs "quick wrap-up" intended for the "middle-of-the-bell-curve/rode-the-short-bus-to-school" crowd in order (understandably) to boost sales, etc. If so, obviously I'd be better off "getting for free" via library download later vs. paying price of admission now to see on the big-screen.

I'm glad to hear your POV - as well as MM's as noted upthread. Having seen the trailer, it was clear to me that the character of Jack - freakin' brilliantly depicted by Himash Patel - just wanted the world to understand and hear the message. Again, I'm happy to hear that the ending you saw was thoughtful...

Ok, maybe I need to stop being my frugal BH-self and see it on the big screen, hahaha.... :confused
Many thanks to ArtfulDodger and the many others who've commented on "Yesterday" in this thread. (Here's lookin' at you, milesmonroe/bearcub/6miths/btenny/Mickey7....) I did decide to pony up to see it in on the big-screen - and treated one of my Baby Boomer BFFs, a HUUGE Beatles fan who remembers getting the first Beatles album as a 13th birthday present back in the early 60s, to join me. We had a blast. Candidly, as a GenXer I'm not sure I needed to see it on the big screen but it made all the difference for my BFF. That alone made it a very worthwhile experience. SoAnyway....

What others have said re. the ending is accurate: Very thoughtful. I didn't love the ending, but was grateful at how thoughtful it was. Without spoiling, there's a scene toward the end where a door opens. As it rolled, instinctively and without words both my companion and I - in split-second quick succession - gasped out loud; said "Oh my God" out loud; and reached for each other's hand in the darkened theatre. THAT's the power of art.

After the movie was over and the song credits were rolling, we both marveled at the "body of work" of the Fab Four and particularly Lennon & McCartney, knowing full well that the portion included in the film was only a small portion of the message they were trying to send to us younger fools way back when. To Gen X and Gen Y/Millennials and "iGen"/whatever-the-generation-after-the-Millennials is being called, whatever music speaks to you, please let it inspire you and follow it. It will make you your better self in this crazy world. :happy
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
FreemanB

Post by FreemanB »

SoAnyway wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:31 amAfter the movie was over and the song credits were rolling, we both marveled at the "body of work" of the Fab Four and particularly Lennon & McCartney, knowing full well that the portion included in the film was only a small portion of the message they were trying to send to us younger fools way back when. To Gen X and Gen Y/Millennials and "iGen"/whatever-the-generation-after-the-Millennials is being called, whatever music speaks to you, please let it inspire you and follow it. It will make you your better self in this crazy world. :happy
My wife and I saw "Yesterday" as well and loved it. We're Beetles fans as well, and we'd been excited about seeing it since the first previews came out. After seeing the movie though, I did have one question, which is really impossible to answer, but interesting to ponder, and your point reminded me of it. If the Beetles had never existed in their own era, and someone started introducing the same songs today, would they have the same reception and impact? Over two generations later, music tastes have changed, people have changed, and the entire world is different. From my personal experience, I didn't really discover Beetles music until later in life, so I think their songs would still be just as popular. However, that's my opinion, and it wouldn't necessarily translate to the same reaction to the originals.(Or to what happened in Yesterday)
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

I haven't seen the movie yet, but plan to do so. So, my comments don't directly reference the movie.

To a significant extent, I think it is impossible to separate the songs from the albums from the band from their game and influence (and let's not forget George Martin). But I think you can set aside the Beatlemania phenomenon to a certain degree.

The Beatles still attract new fans every year. Both of my sons are huge fans, especially my youngest, and they recognize the genius talent that the Beatles had as songwriters and performers. I think there is little doubt that there are 10 to 20 songs that are absolute masterpieces, and would resonate no matter when they would be released.

Having said that, there aren't many covers of Beatles songs that I really like, but I think it's because I am so familiar with the originals. Cheap Trick has done some very good versions, though.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

FreemanB wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:56 am
SoAnyway wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:31 amAfter the movie was over and the song credits were rolling, we both marveled at the "body of work" of the Fab Four and particularly Lennon & McCartney, knowing full well that the portion included in the film was only a small portion of the message they were trying to send to us younger fools way back when. To Gen X and Gen Y/Millennials and "iGen"/whatever-the-generation-after-the-Millennials is being called, whatever music speaks to you, please let it inspire you and follow it. It will make you your better self in this crazy world. :happy
My wife and I saw "Yesterday" as well and loved it. We're Beetles fans as well, and we'd been excited about seeing it since the first previews came out. After seeing the movie though, I did have one question, which is really impossible to answer, but interesting to ponder, and your point reminded me of it. If the Beetles had never existed in their own era, and someone started introducing the same songs today, would they have the same reception and impact? Over two generations later, music tastes have changed, people have changed, and the entire world is different. From my personal experience, I didn't really discover Beetles music until later in life, so I think their songs would still be just as popular. However, that's my opinion, and it wouldn't necessarily translate to the same reaction to the originals.(Or to what happened in Yesterday)
My "pondering"
  • The Beatles were a product of their time but remain somehow eternal. Back in the day people knew there was something very special going on with the Beatles although we took it for granted. Other music may have captured our attention but the Beatles became a constant. They are still part of us all -- including many who weren't yet born at the time. Even elevator music has a Beatles influence!
  • Between them there was a tremendous amount of skill, originality and dedication. If those things were to come together today those hypothetical Beatles might produce a similar body of work and its associated long-lasting impact.
  • I was going to give a favorite album, song, or (perhaps) period but can't. It too much depends on the mood I'm in.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

deanbrew wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 am Having said that, there aren't many covers of Beatles songs that I really like ...
How about Joe Cocker?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

bertilak wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:03 am
deanbrew wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:32 am Having said that, there aren't many covers of Beatles songs that I really like ...
How about Joe Cocker?
Amen...talk about a cover that's miles better than the original.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

How about Joe Cocker?
Yeah, that's certainly a good one. I could probably come up with others if I really thought about it. The Smithereens have done some good covers. Of course, being a Beatles fan, I've been drawn to bands like Cheap Trick, The Smithereens, Electric Light Orchestra, The La's and others who are unabashed Beatles fans themselves.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

deanbrew wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:14 am
How about Joe Cocker?
Yeah, that's certainly a good one. I could probably come up with others if I really thought about it. The Smithereens have done some good covers. Of course, being a Beatles fan, I've been drawn to bands like Cheap Trick, The Smithereens, Electric Light Orchestra, The La's and others who are unabashed Beatles fans themselves.
Wut, no mention of Jeff Beck?

A Day In The Life, live at Ronnie Scott’s. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hHHY3eRUMsM
Jason and Vinnie do their usual great job, and Tal Wilkenfeldt outdoes herself in a mature (for her young years), subtle, and understated job on bass. SoAnyway, this one’s for you. Btw, iirc, Clapton was in the audience. :D

ETA: Deanbrew, Jeff gives a lot of credit to George Martin. http://blogs.reuters.com/world-wrap/201 ... hem-to-be/
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

deanbrew wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:14 am
How about Joe Cocker?
Tiffany did an excellent cover of "I saw her standing there" in the 80s :-)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Please stay on-topic, which is about movies. Music, cover songs, etc. should be discussed in a different thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mak1277

Post by mak1277 »

Aside from Yesterday, what movies have the best cover versions of songs in them? I recently re-watched The Departed and it has an amazing cover of Comfortably Numb sung by Van Morrison.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

White Heat (1949) James Cagney, Edmond O’Brien, Virginia Mayo
A psychopathic criminal with a mother complex makes a daring break from prison and leads his old gang in a chemical plant payroll heist. Shortly after the plan takes place, events take a crazy turn.

Film Noir doesn’t get any better than this! I don’t know how I missed this film till now. Highly recommended!

I recorded it from broadcast TV.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Just saw "Once upon a time... in Hollywood". Acting was excellent. I'll be surprised if Brad Pitt doesn't win best supporting actor and Leonardo DiCaprio Best Actor. It's Definitely a Tarantino film.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

0n Netflix: The Great Hack :(2019) a documentary and an analysis of the data available & its online influence in todays world.

"About an online populations personal psychological profile of feelings and reactions" via Cambridge analytica's online Brexit analysis & its psychological outcome via surveys and data points.

A main theme in the movie is "How much data is freely available online", much of it via peoples personal input.

Very interesting, imo.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
swordandscales

Post by swordandscales »

aspirit wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:26 pm 0n Netflix: The Great Hack :(2019) a documentary and an analysis of the data available & its online influence in todays world.

"About an online populations personal psychological profile of feelings and reactions" via Cambridge analytica's online Brexit analysis & its psychological outcome via surveys and data points.

A main theme in the movie is "How much data is freely available online", much of it via peoples personal input.

Very interesting, imo.
Indeed it is our payment to “thrive” in a connected world. The old adage abides: “if it’s free, you’re the product”.
Discipline is freedom. | -Jocko Willink
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

Foyle’s War!
This week it was voted the show viewers most miss from the past 20 years, with a message as relevant as ever - that’s why our TV critic says the greatest Foyle mystery of all is his own disappearance.

Author Anthony Horowitz puts it succinctly: ‘Why would anyone be interested in one solitary murder on the English South Coast, when 50 miles away, just across the Channel, thousands of people are being slaughtered?’

It’s a fascinating paradox. And it’s one that has lost none of its appeal in the 20 years since he first turned that idea into a gripping detective serial, Foyle’s War — voted this week as the TV show from the past two decades we would most like to see revived.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... rance.html
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Last Black Man in San Francisco. The movie is highly theatrical and at times the cinematography becomes obtrusive, but this is one of the year's best.

Recommended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/06/movi ... =google_kp

The Farewell.

Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... ncredible/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... nd-revelry

Both are currently in theaters.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

On utube Fall of Empires: Rome vs USA Multi-9 episode series by Mike Maloney.

Questions like these are discussed. :thumbsup :happy

The quality of a society is directly proportional to quality of its money?
Debasement of currency leads to demise of empires ?
Currency enthusiast will like it.

Additional movies:
"The 4 Horsemen" by Renegade inc. on UTube.
"The History of Money" by Niall Ferguson on Utube both are informative.

Good luck!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Wild Rose. Jessie Buckley gives a terrific performance as an aspiring country singer in Glasgow, Scotland.

Strongly recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... ght-notes/

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2019 ... s-it-again
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

I am always a couple years behind on movies. I just watched The Finest Hours(2016) which is available for streaming on Amazon.

The movie tells the story of the folks from the Chatham, MA Coast Guard station and their rescue of 32 survivors of the Pendleton which broke in half off Cape Cod in the winter of 1952.

I enjoy nautical and New England, so I naturally enjoyed the movie.

Article from the 60th anniversary of the event.
https://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2012/02/ ... on-rescue/
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Matilda, in Amazon Prime.

Grandson is visiting this week, he wears us out, but enjoy having him. This is a nice family film starring Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman as the clueless parents of an extraordinary daughter who is terrorized by a villainous school principal.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Pink Panther, on Netflix.

This is the 2006 version starring Steve Martin and Kevin Kline. The plot is nothing like the original movie. This is wonderful family entertainment, our visiting grandson laughed almost all the way through this slapstick movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

This weekend's movies:

Zathura, A Space Adventure - a creative science fiction movie about a game that launches two brothers into

The Farewell - A great film about the "Big Lie." A family uses a wedding to bring together the entire family as the matriarch is dying of cancer. The only thing is that the matriarch has not been told she is dying. It is quite an excellent and funny film.
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

watched 47 meters down today because wife wanted to go to studio movie grill and that was the only film that started at a convenient time... absolutely awful. First 15% of film is horrible made-for-tv level plot setup, the remaining 85% is just staring at a near pitch black screen and listening to annoying teens scream in the water.
nonfacebookuser365

Post by nonfacebookuser365 »

Once upon a time in Hollywood

Best movie in the last several years.
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

"Phantom Thread" starring Daniel Day-Lewis (HBO free trial). Excellent art house film. Cerebral drama set in 1950's London.

IMDB:
"Set in 1950s London, Reynolds Woodcock is a renowned dressmaker whose fastidious life is disrupted by a young, strong-willed woman, Alma, who becomes his muse and lover. "

Also on Amazon Prime for a fee.
black jack

Post by black jack »

"Blinded by the Light" - moving story, great music!
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
reason-logic

Post by reason-logic »

Rocketman.

Disappointed, I wish it had focused on Elton’s good works, found it kind of depressing.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Blinded by the Light.

The movie tells the story of a Pakistani teen in a small British factory town who struggles to get along with his traditionalist father, school and social pressures, making friends, and trying to fit in to 1990s British life. He wants to go to University and be writer.

A Sihk schoolmate introduces him to the music of Bruce Springsteen, and his life changes. We enjoyed the movie.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

reason-logic wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:39 am Rocketman.

Disappointed, I wish it had focused on Elton’s good works, found it kind of depressing.
That was basically our reaction too. We wanted the movie to get past the sad part into the good part.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

"The Mule" on HBO. Waste of two hours.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Went to see Ready or Not, horror comedy in theaters now. I was surprised at how much I liked it. Some corny dialogue and hammy acting, but the third act blew me away.
A new bride marries into a family whose wealth is built on board games and a pact with the devil. The tradition Is that new family members must play a game chosen at random, (most of the time the game is benign with no real stakes) but she gets hide and seek. The family needs to kill her and perform a satanic ritual by dawn, using weapons that were available when the pact was made in the 1800s. You are kept guessing about whether the pact with the devil is real or the family is just crazy. Some comedic kills break up the seriousness of the stakes, until it turns into a gore fest in the third act. Worth a watch for b movie horror fans.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

^^^

Ready or Not was the worst movie of the year so far. Fortunately, I had a free pass and did not have to pay for it. Yes, the premise was interesting. There were a number of funny moments in the movie. However, all of that is offset by the gratuitous violence and the blood gorefest of the last 10-15 minutes of the movie.

=================

The second movie was "Isn't it Romantic." It is a lightweight romantic comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously. It is probably worth seeing.

I probably should have just west to see the Bollywood space classic that was showing this week.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Gratuitous violence and over the top gorefest is why I go to B horror movies. It does bring out differing opinions, although it does have an 87% rotten tomatoes score, which is unusual for horror movies.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Avengers: End Game on Bluray.

I saw it in the theater and wasn't that impressed on first view. This was probably tainted by the fact that I hate watching anything in the theater and haven't enjoyed a theater film for over fifteen years.

On bluray, it's a fairly enjoyable movie and mostly fun (there are still some cringe-worthy jokes, however). The movie wasn't nearly as good as Avengers: Infinity War and left several plot holes (as well as missing some obvious good plot ideas), but overall a fairly satisfying ending to the Avengers franchise. (Though ending on Avengers: Infinity War would have been both unexpected and incredible.) Hopefully over the next few movies and shorts they can give flashbacks that fill in some of the plot holes.

Of course there will be other Marvel movies after this, but it's a fairly good bookmark ending for this chapter of the franchise.
Calli114

Post by Calli114 »

Went to see Peanut Butter Falcon in the theater, about a Down Syndrome patient who breaks out of a nursing home because he wants to be a pro wrestler.
All of us thought it was pretty enjoyable, including my special needs brother.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Not sure if this counts under "movie" or TV, but...

We just watched an old performance of a Metropolitan Opera Gala, celebrating Luciano Pavarotti.
He sang parts of 3 operas, with others singing with him in fully staged performances.
It was wonderful. If only we could have been there!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

Shattered Glass - Starz "The story of a young journalist who fell from grace when it was discovered he fabricated over half of his articles from the publication The New Republic magazine".

I'm old enough to remember this, but I had no clue. Fascinating.

CBGB - Amazon Prime "A look at the New York City punk-rock scene and the venerable nightclub, CBGB".

I was surprised at the well know bands & artists who got their start in this uh...dump. Very enjoyable.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.