What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rj342
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by rj342 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:00 pm

Definitely NOT everyones cup of tea, but I enjoyed Dragged Across Concrete (R for some disturbing violence) w Gibson and Vaughn on streaming recently.
It has a certain minimalist bleakness: dialog, atmosphere (no background soundtrack at all) that gives a feeling hard to describe.

A couple of older cops suspended for being too rough taking down a bad guy, feeling very unappreciated decide to cross the line further and get some of themselves. It does not go smoothly is an understatement.

Interesting storytelling. Even though they star and have large majority of screen time, you could argue that they are not the main characters.

btenny
Posts: 5383
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by btenny » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:07 pm

We just watched Men In Black International on the big screen. This third installment in the series was fun and fast with tons of action like the first shows. But it lacked the humor of the space aliens and the humor of Will Smith and his partner. So much less entertaining. I give it a 3/5 grade. Anyone else watch it?

Bacchus01
Posts: 3182
Joined: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:35 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:26 am

Hell or High Water on Netflix

Pretty good cast that does well with the writing they had. Story had all kinds of promise, but the writing was slow and bleak. I can’t believe it was nominated for four Oscars.

Would not recommend

User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 20097
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:06 am

“The Next Three Days” on Hulu. Liked it.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:52 pm

miles monroe wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:24 pm
yesterday which i thot was worth the investment in time and money seeing it at the theater.
yesterday is the story of an unsuccessful musician who wakes up after a 12 second global power outage -- and is the only person in the world who has ever heard of the beatles.
Thanks, MM! I'm really looking forward to seeing "Yesterday". Based on your input, I might even spring for seeing it on the big screen vs. waiting for my library to pull it into the digital catalog, lol..... ; ) BTW, I'm also looking forward to the upcoming film that premiered at Sundance (to great applause) about a Pakistani guy in England who becomes a HUGE Bruce Springsteen fan. (see links below)

Stepping back, it's interesting to me how several films of late are/have been coming out that bring forth the music/artists/lyrics/rhythms that SO spoke to this Gen-Xer in my youth and "re-ignite" what I felt then - albeit with my Baby Boomer elder siblings' heavy influences on my tastes. (Sidebar: Also interesting how many of the films coming out involve/include immigrants out of the chaos in South Asia at the time, btw.)

My earlier posts in this thread re. Queen/"Bohemian Rhapsody"/Freddie Mercury are a good example. BTW, I was a big fan of the musicianship and artistry of Elton John/Bernie Taupin in my youth, but all the costumes/weirdness of Elton's early days - that the recent film "Rocket Man" covers - was a distraction, I thought back then; I was glad when he decided to drop all that, and just let his sick-brilliant work/who he was speak for themselves. So "Rocket Man" is on the list for e-library download vs. big screen - I'll be more interested in seeing the film of his work from the time AFTER that phase of his career.... ; )

SoAnyway, as the Grammy campaign a while back hilariously illustrated: "Music Unleashes Us". ; ) Happy viewing, all! :sharebeer

Links to Trailers:
Yesterday (Beatles) 3:10*
Blinded by the Light (Springsteen) 02:35
Rocket Man (Elton John) 02:32
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen/Freddie Mercury) 02:30

Links to 2014 "Music Unleashes Us" Grammy campaign ads:
"Roar" (Katy Perry) 00:30
"Just Give Me a Reason" (Pink) 00:31
"Can't Hold Us" (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) 00:30

*It's worth watching this "Yesterday" trailer just for the whole "Hey Dude" sequence starting at 2:46.... I almost died laughing, hahaha.... :happy
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

Capsu78
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am

SoAnyway,
Thanks for the heads up on "Blinded by the Light". Having been an early fan of Bruce as well as someone who liked "Bend it like Beckham" it will definitely go on my list.
How early a fan? $4 a ticket to see him play 3.5 hours for 1800 people in a small state college basketball arena 3 weeks before the release of Born to Run (sorry for the brag, but it totally is a brag!) Sadly, I find much of his work after to be unlistenable anymore due to over exposure...

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 10630
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:17 am

Capsu78 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am
SoAnyway,
Thanks for the heads up on "Blinded by the Light". Having been an early fan of Bruce as well as someone who liked "Bend it like Beckham" it will definitely go on my list.
How early a fan? $4 a ticket to see him play 3.5 hours for 1800 people in a small state college basketball arena 3 weeks before the release of Born to Run (sorry for the brag, but it totally is a brag!) Sadly, I find much of his work after to be unlistenable anymore due to over exposure...
The same. Loved him before. I don’t think it’s only overexposure. I intentionally limit his music in my house, and still no longer care for it.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:25 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:17 am
Capsu78 wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:14 am
SoAnyway,
Thanks for the heads up on "Blinded by the Light". Having been an early fan of Bruce as well as someone who liked "Bend it like Beckham" it will definitely go on my list.
How early a fan? $4 a ticket to see him play 3.5 hours for 1800 people in a small state college basketball arena 3 weeks before the release of Born to Run (sorry for the brag, but it totally is a brag!) Sadly, I find much of his work after to be unlistenable anymore due to over exposure...
The same. Loved him before. I don’t think it’s only overexposure. I intentionally limit his music in my house, and still no longer care for it.
Sooo with you both.... Thank you!! :happy
And oh btw, you earned those bragging rights, Capsu!! :sharebeer

Having seen him many times live, as I'm sure you know, Bruce rarely performs for <3.5 hours - He feels he owes it to the hard-working folks who fork over whatever ridiculous amount of their hard-earned money was the price of admission (over which he has little control) to make sure they leave feeling like they got their money's worth. So most Springsteen concerts push or surpass the 4-hour mark. But wow - $4 in a small venue.... :o

As you also probably know, not sure if it's still the case but years ago, I'd no idea at the time but apparently at all of his concerts he had some of his "peeps" go into the "nosebleed seats" - it was written into all of Bruce's contracts with the promoters that he was allowed to do this - chatting up and seeking out the "real" workin'/strugglin' folks his music/lyrics were intended for who really couldn't afford to be there but nevertheless scraped together what they could to buy that ticket.... Those his peeps chose from their various conversations with folks up there were then "re-seated" within the first 10 rows, given backstage passes, met Bruce/Clarence/et al. in person/etc.

If you'll now forgive my "brag": Without going into too much detail, I was actually lucky enough to be among the "chosen" many many many years ago - escorted from the last row in the stadium to right in front of the stage. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.... SoAnyway....

Like I said, I hear you. Sadly, he became - to use your word, Capsu78 - "unlistenable". Born to Run/Darkness on the Edge of Town/The River changed my life. In my search for more, I gained appreciation for its precedents, i.e. Greetings from Asbury Park/The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle. Sadly, he kinda lost me with Nebraska ; Born in the USA just saddened me; and I've not paid much attention since.

HOWEVER, there's hope: I dare say that what we witnessed from Born in the USA to now was simply the Boss's journey. Much like all of ours.
More to the point: He's thinking more seriously now about his legacy and how his art will be remembered. Which is why I'm guessing that he chose to grant the filmmakers of "Blinded by the Light" the rights to use his music - something he's always been VERY particular about granting - knowing that they planned to use only his early/best work. Another bit of hope: He came out 2 weeks ago with a new album that the critics are saying are finally (FINALLY!) a return to his roots, and what we remember. I've not heard the album nor seen the film, but I hope the producers of both did justice. Everybody - even The Boss - works for somebody. And most feel a first responsibility to take care of their family.

P.S. "Bend It Like Beckham"? (Link to trailer here for those not familiar.) Loved it as well, and definitely in the same vein.... :sharebeer
P.P.S. The guy on the treadmill at Planet Fitness singing Katy Perry's "Roar" in the first Grammy ad I linked? Um yeah, that's me. Every week. :) (I stopped caring a long time ago about what anyone noticing/watching thought, hahaha....I know why I'm doin' what I'm doin'.) As for goals, no matter how old I get I aspire to be like the woman in the third ad I linked above, rockin' out to Macklemore.... ; )
Last edited by SoAnyway on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63961
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:25 am

Shrek, the original 2001 release on DVD. The character voices include Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz, and John Lithgow. I thoroughly enjoyed watching this movie again.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Dead Man Walking
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:51 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Dead Man Walking » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 pm

A Star is Born on HBO. The movie was a good platform for Lady Gaga to demonstrate her talent without her usual makeup and costumes. Bradley Cooper portrays a sympathetic character, but it wasn’t his best work. It is a romantic tearjerker that my wife enjoyed. The suicide was tastefully depicted. Not a great movie, but an entertaining one.

DMW

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 56th and Wabasha, Ashtabula, OH

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:13 pm

Life is Beautiful (Italy 1997, La vita è bella (original title)) Written, directed, and starring Roberto Benigni. Nicoletta Braschi.

My first viewing since 1998, a great, great film. I had to fight the tears. Won the Academy Award for Best Actor and the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, among other awards. We borrowed it from our local public library.

Synopsis from IMDb: When an open-minded Jewish librarian and his son become victims of the Holocaust, he uses a perfect mixture of will, humor, and imagination to protect his son from the dangers around their camp.

Note: IMBd is wrong; he was a bookseller and not a librarian.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118799/?r ... flmg_act_8
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 14771
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by HomerJ » Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:58 pm

Toy Story 4.

Yes, they did it again.

I don't know how, but that franchise hits it out of the park every freaking time.
A Goldman Sachs associate provided a variety of detailed explanations, but then offered a caveat, “If I’m being dead-### honest, though, nobody knows what’s really going on.”

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63961
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:02 pm

Shrek 2, the original 2004 release on DVD. It has the same main characters as Shrek and new character voices by Antonio Banderas, Julie Andrews, John Cleese, Rupert Everett, and Jennifer Saunders. Like Shrek, I thoroughly enjoyed watching it again.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
6miths
Posts: 776
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by 6miths » Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:16 pm

rj342 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Definitely NOT everyones cup of tea, but I enjoyed Dragged Across Concrete (R for some disturbing violence) w Gibson and Vaughn on streaming recently.
It has a certain minimalist bleakness: dialog, atmosphere (no background soundtrack at all) that gives a feeling hard to describe.

A couple of older cops suspended for being too rough taking down a bad guy, feeling very unappreciated decide to cross the line further and get some of themselves. It does not go smoothly is an understatement.

Interesting storytelling. Even though they star and have large majority of screen time, you could argue that they are not the main characters.
DS teed up Dragged Across Concrete the other night. Agree not for everyone but DW and I enjoyed it. Very strong cast. A bit of a morality play. Also watched Baby Driver again last night. Still enjoyable.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

mancich
Posts: 843
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:05 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by mancich » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:21 am

The Sum of All Fears with Morgan Freeman and Ben Affleck. I had never seen it, and watched it on Amazon Prime video yesterday. it was actually pretty good. Really drove home the point of how miscalculation and misunderstanding between countries can potentially result in disaster.

michaeljc70
Posts: 6708
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 am

Gifted. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It is a couple years old. It stars Chris Evans and is about an Uncle raising a math prodigy and an ensuing custody fight with his mother.

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 934
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 pm

SoAnyway wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:52 pm
miles monroe wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:24 pm
yesterday which i thot was worth the investment in time and money seeing it at the theater.
yesterday is the story of an unsuccessful musician who wakes up after a 12 second global power outage -- and is the only person in the world who has ever heard of the beatles.
Thanks, MM! I'm really looking forward to seeing "Yesterday". Based on your input, I might even spring for seeing it on the big screen vs. waiting for my library to pull it into the digital catalog, lol..... ; ) BTW, I'm also looking forward to the upcoming film that premiered at Sundance (to great applause) about a Pakistani guy in England who becomes a HUGE Bruce Springsteen fan. (see links below)

Stepping back, it's interesting to me how several films of late are/have been coming out that bring forth the music/artists/lyrics/rhythms that SO spoke to this Gen-Xer in my youth and "re-ignite" what I felt then - albeit with my Baby Boomer elder siblings' heavy influences on my tastes. (Sidebar: Also interesting how many of the films coming out involve/include immigrants out of the chaos in South Asia at the time, btw.)

My earlier posts in this thread re. Queen/"Bohemian Rhapsody"/Freddie Mercury are a good example. BTW, I was a big fan of the musicianship and artistry of Elton John/Bernie Taupin in my youth, but all the costumes/weirdness of Elton's early days - that the recent film "Rocket Man" covers - was a distraction, I thought back then; I was glad when he decided to drop all that, and just let his sick-brilliant work/who he was speak for themselves. So "Rocket Man" is on the list for e-library download vs. big screen - I'll be more interested in seeing the film of his work from the time AFTER that phase of his career.... ; )

SoAnyway, as the Grammy campaign a while back hilariously illustrated: "Music Unleashes Us". ; ) Happy viewing, all! :sharebeer

Links to Trailers:
Yesterday (Beatles) 3:10*
Blinded by the Light (Springsteen) 02:35
Rocket Man (Elton John) 02:32
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen/Freddie Mercury) 02:30

Links to 2014 "Music Unleashes Us" Grammy campaign ads:
"Roar" (Katy Perry) 00:30
"Just Give Me a Reason" (Pink) 00:31
"Can't Hold Us" (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) 00:30

*It's worth watching this "Yesterday" trailer just for the whole "Hey Dude" sequence starting at 2:46.... I almost died laughing, hahaha.... :happy
My wife and I saw Yesterday a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. I joked that maybe the ending will be like Dallas, and he'll wake up from a dream, but it was actually well thought out. Some touching moments at the end as well. I don't know if you've seen the trailers, but the scene where Ed Shearon is telling him to change Hey Jude to Hey Dude is pretty funny. EDIT - I see you did see the trailer.

We had planned to go see Rocketman, but it was nowhere near us so we went to Yesterday, which had just come out. Maybe Rocketman hasn't been that well received. Really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody.

rick51
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:33 pm
Location: Maryland

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by rick51 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:25 pm

Took my tweenage grandsons to Spiderman - Far From Home (in theater). I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the film, but this was more about bonding with the grandkids and they really enjoyed the film.

Thesaints
Posts: 3455
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:25 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Thesaints » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Midsommar.
No debate about SWR in Hårga, Sweden.
Last edited by Thesaints on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jlawrence01
Posts: 1631
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:26 pm

Today's movies:

The Mustang - a good film about prison convicts training wild horses and preparing them for sale

All is True - A story about the last years of William Shakespeare. While slow-moving, this British film does examine the complexities of his personal relationships.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 56th and Wabasha, Ashtabula, OH

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:42 pm

Frantz (France, 2016) Pierre Niney, Paula Beer. Directed and co-written by François Ozon. Part is in B&W and part in color. It’s based on Maurice Rostand's 1930 French play L'homme que j'ai tué, and not on the 1932 Ernst Lubitsch film Broken Lullaby, as the director makes clear in the Q&A session in the extras. He said he wasn’t aware of the earlier film.

Synopsis from IMDb: In the aftermath of WWI, a young German who grieves the death of her fiancé in France meets a mysterious Frenchman who visits the fiancé's grave to lay flowers. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5029608/?r ... f_=nv_sr_2

It’s a touching and interesting film, I recommend it. With the plot twists and score I thought I was watching a Hitchcock film. We borrowed the DVD from our local public library.
Last edited by Nicolas on Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:55 pm

Artful Dodger wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 pm
SoAnyway wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:52 pm
miles monroe wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:24 pm
yesterday which i thot was worth the investment in time and money seeing it at the theater.
yesterday is the story of an unsuccessful musician who wakes up after a 12 second global power outage -- and is the only person in the world who has ever heard of the beatles.
Thanks, MM! I'm really looking forward to seeing "Yesterday". Based on your input, I might even spring for seeing it on the big screen vs. waiting for my library to pull it into the digital catalog, lol..... ; ) BTW, I'm also looking forward to the upcoming film that premiered at Sundance (to great applause) about a Pakistani guy in England who becomes a HUGE Bruce Springsteen fan. (see links below)

Stepping back, it's interesting to me how several films of late are/have been coming out that bring forth the music/artists/lyrics/rhythms that SO spoke to this Gen-Xer in my youth and "re-ignite" what I felt then - albeit with my Baby Boomer elder siblings' heavy influences on my tastes. (Sidebar: Also interesting how many of the films coming out involve/include immigrants out of the chaos in South Asia at the time, btw.)

My earlier posts in this thread re. Queen/"Bohemian Rhapsody"/Freddie Mercury are a good example. BTW, I was a big fan of the musicianship and artistry of Elton John/Bernie Taupin in my youth, but all the costumes/weirdness of Elton's early days - that the recent film "Rocket Man" covers - was a distraction, I thought back then; I was glad when he decided to drop all that, and just let his sick-brilliant work/who he was speak for themselves. So "Rocket Man" is on the list for e-library download vs. big screen - I'll be more interested in seeing the film of his work from the time AFTER that phase of his career.... ; )

SoAnyway, as the Grammy campaign a while back hilariously illustrated: "Music Unleashes Us". ; ) Happy viewing, all! :sharebeer

Links to Trailers:
Yesterday (Beatles) 3:10*
Blinded by the Light (Springsteen) 02:35
Rocket Man (Elton John) 02:32
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen/Freddie Mercury) 02:30

Links to 2014 "Music Unleashes Us" Grammy campaign ads:
"Roar" (Katy Perry) 00:30
"Just Give Me a Reason" (Pink) 00:31
"Can't Hold Us" (Macklemore & Ryan Lewis) 00:30

*It's worth watching this "Yesterday" trailer just for the whole "Hey Dude" sequence starting at 2:46.... I almost died laughing, hahaha.... :happy
My wife and I saw Yesterday a few days ago, and really enjoyed it. I joked that maybe the ending will be like Dallas, and he'll wake up from a dream, but it was actually well thought out. Some touching moments at the end as well. I don't know if you've seen the trailers, but the scene where Ed Shearon is telling him to change Hey Jude to Hey Dude is pretty funny. EDIT - I see you did see the trailer.

We had planned to go see Rocketman, but it was nowhere near us so we went to Yesterday, which had just come out. Maybe Rocketman hasn't been that well received. Really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody.
Thank you, AD!! We're kindred musical/film spirits, for sure. :sharebeer More to the point, thanks for not "spoiling", as I've not yet seen "Yesterday" (but WILL!). :happy

SoAnyway.... Like you, having seen the "Yesterday" trailer, I wondered/worried about the ending and whether it would be some lame Hollywood bs "quick wrap-up" intended for the "middle-of-the-bell-curve/rode-the-short-bus-to-school" crowd in order (understandably) to boost sales, etc. If so, obviously I'd be better off "getting for free" via library download later vs. paying price of admission now to see on the big-screen.

I'm glad to hear your POV - as well as MM's as noted upthread. Having seen the trailer, it was clear to me that the character of Jack - freakin' brilliantly depicted by Himash Patel - just wanted the world to understand and hear the message. Again, I'm happy to hear that the ending you saw was thoughtful...

Ok, maybe I need to stop being my frugal BH-self and see it on the big screen, hahaha.... :confused
Last edited by SoAnyway on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:27 am

Nicolas wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:13 pm
Life is Beautiful (Italy 1997, La vita è bella (original title)) Written, directed, and starring Roberto Benigni. Nicoletta Braschi.

My first viewing since 1998, a great, great film. I had to fight the tears. Won the Academy Award for Best Actor and the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, among other awards. We borrowed it from our local public library.

Synopsis from IMDb: When an open-minded Jewish librarian and his son become victims of the Holocaust, he uses a perfect mixture of will, humor, and imagination to protect his son from the dangers around their camp.

Note: IMBd is wrong; he was a bookseller and not a librarian.
One of the greatest films of all time. Esp. for anyone who - like most parents - would do ANYTHING to protect their kids. And yet worries about the "how" they're going about it.
Thanks Nicolas. :sharebeer
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 am

Delete
Last edited by SoAnyway on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63961
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:22 pm

typical.investor wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:55 am
Wandering Earth - on Netflix

If you like science fiction, I recommend it.

Per the wikipedia page:

It became China's second highest-grossing film of all time,[5] 2019's third highest-grossing film worldwide,[6] the second highest-grossing non-English film to date, and one of the top 20 highest-grossing science fiction films to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wandering_Earth

Dark Phoenix - in theater

I loved it, but then again I was taking all my paper route money at age 11 and riding the bus alone downtown to the comic book store to buy every issue of xmen I could get. Was great seeing Nightcrawler in action. The XMen franchise under Fox has been kinda disappointing really, but the underlying themes I read years ago are so very, very dear to my heart.
Wandering Earth, on Netflix. Thanks for the recommendation. I like science fiction and have read The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin (discussed in Good Modern Science Fiction).

I found the continual suspense to be somewhat repetitive, i.e. there was always something going wrong..., but the ideas on what went wrong and what happened next were fascinating. The action kept me interested to the end.

My husband left the room after 20 minutes, so I'm guessing this movie doesn't appeal to everyone.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the novella which this movie was based on.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

rj342
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by rj342 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:23 pm

mancich wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:21 am
The Sum of All Fears with Morgan Freeman and Ben Affleck. I had never seen it, and watched it on Amazon Prime video yesterday. it was actually pretty good. Really drove home the point of how miscalculation and misunderstanding between countries can potentially result in disaster.
My only disappointment with it is that they went PC and threw out the very well written Islamist terrorists (with basis in reality, pre-911) and fabricated wealthy European neo-Nazis (with no real basis). Hope that comment doesn't run afoul of mod, but is is an entirely objective and factual comment on the movie versus the excellent book by Tom Clancy.

rj342
Posts: 726
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by rj342 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:24 pm

6miths wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:16 pm
rj342 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:00 pm
Definitely NOT everyones cup of tea, but I enjoyed Dragged Across Concrete (R for some disturbing violence) w Gibson and Vaughn on streaming recently.
It has a certain minimalist bleakness: dialog, atmosphere (no background soundtrack at all) that gives a feeling hard to describe.

A couple of older cops suspended for being too rough taking down a bad guy, feeling very unappreciated decide to cross the line further and get some of themselves. It does not go smoothly is an understatement.

Interesting storytelling. Even though they star and have large majority of screen time, you could argue that they are not the main characters.
DS teed up Dragged Across Concrete the other night. Agree not for everyone but DW and I enjoyed it. Very strong cast. A bit of a morality play. Also watched Baby Driver again last night. Still enjoyable.
Stay home with the baby!!!!!

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4429
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by joe8d » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm

SoAnyway wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 am
Delete
Never heard of that one.What's it about?
All the Best, | Joe

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm

joe8d wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm
SoAnyway wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 am
Delete
Never heard of that one.What's it about?
Duuuudddeee....Where ya been? :confused

It's a Marvel (2019) animated action-docu-comeddrama. Think: Mashup of "Avengers" meets "Big Bang Theory" meets "Jack Bogle" meets "normal people like us". That last one's to be taken at face value, btw - not a (respectively) film/TV show/celebrity-Lord-God-King-our mentor, RIP - just "us". ; ) Ok, SoAnyway....

Setting: Finance internet forum. Basic plot: A poster on the forum hits "Submit" on a post that shouldn't have been submitted. The poster realized a bit too late that if it remained on the forum in its current state DISASTER might strike; the entire forum might be thrown off its purpose; some thin-skinned hypersensitive reader might get offended and raise a stink that the mods feel the need to respond to; and/or whatever.....

Due to forum settings over which the non-admin poster has no control, the poster has no way of "undoing" the "Submit".... In desperation, the poster simply hits "Edit" and deletes the entire content and hits "Submit".

Plot twist: The algorithm responds that the poster's edit cannot be submitted because it (and I quote) "contains too few characters". Say WHAT??? :confused Oh no! :o

Poster quickly says "Fine", and goes in again with 6 characters (To wit: "Delete") and hits "Submit". Success! :sharebeer

Here's where things get even more fun! Hearing the poster's "SOS", in come the REAL heroes: Fearless Leader LadyGeek (think "Black Widow" or "Wonder Woman", wearing similar gear but with a pocket protector), along with her team of superheroes (similarly - same gear, with pocket protectors, high water pants and plaid shirts that don't match, etc.) swoop in and remove the post in its entirety along with your reply AND this one....

THE END. :sharebeer
Last edited by SoAnyway on Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

SoAnyway
Posts: 421
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by SoAnyway » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:20 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 am
Gifted. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It is a couple years old. It stars Chris Evans and is about an Uncle raising a math prodigy and an ensuing custody fight with his mother.
With no disrespect intended Michaeljc70, I'd have given it 11 out of 10.
"This is Spinal Tap"
, anyone, hahaha?
SoAnyway, I have my reasons. Short version is that it hit close to home.

From a business perspective, I "get" from the Hollywood business perspective the audience was limited: The enthusiastic audience such as myself for the film are those who either
(a) are/were tagged as gifted at a young age, and/or
(b) were/are a parent of a gifted kid who's lapping them and they're not quite sure how to deal, and/or
(c) both.
But that doesn't mean it's easy out there....

Short version: I was that little girl, brilliantly depicted by McKenna Grace. See trailer here.
If anyone here is/has been in similar pain, please PM me. Happy to help.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 10267
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 am

WHOA!
SPOILER ALERT!
:twisted:
SoAnyway wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm
joe8d wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm
SoAnyway wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 am
Delete
Never heard of that one.What's it about?
Duuuudddeee....Where ya been? :confused

It's a Marvel (2019) animated action-docu-comeddrama. Think: Mashup of "Avengers" meets "Big Bang Theory" meets "Jack Bogle" meets "normal people like us". That last one's to be taken at face value, btw - not a (respectively) film/TV show/celebrity-Lord-God-King-our mentor, RIP - just "us". ; ) Ok, SoAnyway....

Setting: Finance internet forum. Basic plot: A poster on the forum hits "Submit" on a post that shouldn't have been submitted. The poster realized a bit too late that if it remained on the forum in its current state DISASTER might strike; the entire forum might be thrown off its purpose; some thin-skinned hypersensitive reader might get offended and raise a stink that the mods feel the need to respond to; and/or whatever.....

Due to forum settings over which the non-admin poster has no control, the poster has no way of "undoing" the "Submit".... In desperation, the poster simply hits "Edit" and deletes the entire content and hits "Submit".

Plot twist: The algorithm responds that the poster's edit cannot be submitted because it (and I quote) "contains too few characters". Say WHAT??? :confused Oh no! :o

Poster quickly says "Fine", and goes in again with 6 characters (To wit: "Delete") and hits "Submit". Success! :sharebeer

Here's where things get even more fun! Hearing the poster's "SOS", in come the REAL heroes: Fearless Leader LadyGeek (think "Black Widow" or "Wonder Woman", wearing similar gear but with a pocket protector), along with her team of superheroes (similarly - same gear, with pocket protectors, high water pants and plaid shirts that don't match, etc.) swoop in and remove the post in its entirety along with your reply AND this one....

THE END. :sharebeer
RM [with missing pocket protector, but with some nice slide rules, including circular] :happy
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

BarbBrooklyn
Posts: 642
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:33 am
Location: NYC

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:10 am

Hamlet. Benedict Cumberbatch. Nice production. Not perfect.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

BogleLearner
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:21 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by BogleLearner » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 am

Pavarotti!

In theaters now - please go see it!

User avatar
jjunk
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:52 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jjunk » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:15 am

Spiderman: Far From Home - loved it but I'm an MCU and Spiderman homer so it wasnt shocking. Really looking forward to what they do with this iteration of Spiderman

Toy Story 4 - it didnt do it for me or my wife. We absolutely loved the first three movies and were genuinely excited to see this one so we went on opening night. It just didnt have the magic of the last movies and they would have been better off stopping with #3 IMO

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 63961
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 am
WHOA!
SPOILER ALERT!
:twisted:
SoAnyway wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm
joe8d wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm
SoAnyway wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 am
Delete
Never heard of that one.What's it about?
Duuuudddeee....Where ya been? :confused

It's a Marvel (2019) animated action-docu-comeddrama. Think: Mashup of "Avengers" meets "Big Bang Theory" meets "Jack Bogle" meets "normal people like us". That last one's to be taken at face value, btw - not a (respectively) film/TV show/celebrity-Lord-God-King-our mentor, RIP - just "us". ; ) Ok, SoAnyway....

Setting: Finance internet forum. Basic plot: A poster on the forum hits "Submit" on a post that shouldn't have been submitted. The poster realized a bit too late that if it remained on the forum in its current state DISASTER might strike; the entire forum might be thrown off its purpose; some thin-skinned hypersensitive reader might get offended and raise a stink that the mods feel the need to respond to; and/or whatever.....

Due to forum settings over which the non-admin poster has no control, the poster has no way of "undoing" the "Submit".... In desperation, the poster simply hits "Edit" and deletes the entire content and hits "Submit".

Plot twist: The algorithm responds that the poster's edit cannot be submitted because it (and I quote) "contains too few characters". Say WHAT??? :confused Oh no! :o

Poster quickly says "Fine", and goes in again with 6 characters (To wit: "Delete") and hits "Submit". Success! :sharebeer

Here's where things get even more fun! Hearing the poster's "SOS", in come the REAL heroes: Fearless Leader LadyGeek (think "Black Widow" or "Wonder Woman", wearing similar gear but with a pocket protector), along with her team of superheroes (similarly - same gear, with pocket protectors, high water pants and plaid shirts that don't match, etc.) swoop in and remove the post in its entirety along with your reply AND this one....

THE END. :sharebeer
RM [with missing pocket protector, but with some nice slide rules, including circular] :happy
I am totally speechless. :D
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18550
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:10 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:01 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:54 am
WHOA!
SPOILER ALERT!
:twisted:
SoAnyway wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm
joe8d wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm
SoAnyway wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 am
Delete
Never heard of that one.What's it about?
Duuuudddeee....Where ya been? :confused

It's a Marvel (2019) animated action-docu-comeddrama. Think: Mashup of "Avengers" meets "Big Bang Theory" meets "Jack Bogle" meets "normal people like us". That last one's to be taken at face value, btw - not a (respectively) film/TV show/celebrity-Lord-God-King-our mentor, RIP - just "us". ; ) Ok, SoAnyway....

Setting: Finance internet forum. Basic plot: A poster on the forum hits "Submit" on a post that shouldn't have been submitted. The poster realized a bit too late that if it remained on the forum in its current state DISASTER might strike; the entire forum might be thrown off its purpose; some thin-skinned hypersensitive reader might get offended and raise a stink that the mods feel the need to respond to; and/or whatever.....

Due to forum settings over which the non-admin poster has no control, the poster has no way of "undoing" the "Submit".... In desperation, the poster simply hits "Edit" and deletes the entire content and hits "Submit".

Plot twist: The algorithm responds that the poster's edit cannot be submitted because it (and I quote) "contains too few characters". Say WHAT??? :confused Oh no! :o

Poster quickly says "Fine", and goes in again with 6 characters (To wit: "Delete") and hits "Submit". Success! :sharebeer

Here's where things get even more fun! Hearing the poster's "SOS", in come the REAL heroes: Fearless Leader LadyGeek (think "Black Widow" or "Wonder Woman", wearing similar gear but with a pocket protector), along with her team of superheroes (similarly - same gear, with pocket protectors, high water pants and plaid shirts that don't match, etc.) swoop in and remove the post in its entirety along with your reply AND this one....

THE END. :sharebeer
RM [with missing pocket protector, but with some nice slide rules, including circular] :happy
I am totally speechless. :D
My gosh :shock: , someone else remembers slide rules.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4429
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by joe8d » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:24 pm

SoAnyway wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:46 pm
joe8d wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:40 pm
SoAnyway wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 am
Delete
Never heard of that one.What's it about?
Duuuudddeee....Where ya been? :confused

It's a Marvel (2019) animated action-docu-comeddrama. Think: Mashup of "Avengers" meets "Big Bang Theory" meets "Jack Bogle" meets "normal people like us". That last one's to be taken at face value, btw - not a (respectively) film/TV show/celebrity-Lord-God-King-our mentor, RIP - just "us". ; ) Ok, SoAnyway....

Setting: Finance internet forum. Basic plot: A poster on the forum hits "Submit" on a post that shouldn't have been submitted. The poster realized a bit too late that if it remained on the forum in its current state DISASTER might strike; the entire forum might be thrown off its purpose; some thin-skinned hypersensitive reader might get offended and raise a stink that the mods feel the need to respond to; and/or whatever.....

Due to forum settings over which the non-admin poster has no control, the poster has no way of "undoing" the "Submit".... In desperation, the poster simply hits "Edit" and deletes the entire content and hits "Submit".

Plot twist: The algorithm responds that the poster's edit cannot be submitted because it (and I quote) "contains too few characters". Say WHAT??? :confused Oh no! :o

Poster quickly says "Fine", and goes in again with 6 characters (To wit: "Delete") and hits "Submit". Success! :sharebeer

Here's where things get even more fun! Hearing the poster's "SOS", in come the REAL heroes: Fearless Leader LadyGeek (think "Black Widow" or "Wonder Woman", wearing similar gear but with a pocket protector), along with her team of superheroes (similarly - same gear, with pocket protectors, high water pants and plaid shirts that don't match, etc.) swoop in and remove the post in its entirety along with your reply AND this one....

THE END. :sharebeer
Was just kidding.
All the Best, | Joe

User avatar
Elsebet
Posts: 872
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm
Location: Erie, PA

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Elsebet » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:05 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:22 pm
Wandering Earth, on Netflix. Thanks for the recommendation. I like science fiction and have read The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin (discussed in Good Modern Science Fiction).

I found the continual suspense to be somewhat repetitive, i.e. there was always something going wrong..., but the ideas on what went wrong and what happened next were fascinating. The action kept me interested to the end.

My husband left the room after 20 minutes, so I'm guessing this movie doesn't appeal to everyone.

Disclaimer: I haven't read the novella which this movie was based on.
We watched this recently also and my husband fell asleep on it pretty quick. I thought the pacing was very odd and overall it just felt like a very arduous movie to get through with constant things going wrong as you mentioned. However the imagery was amazing and there were a lot of cute/funny moments interspersed with the more serious ones. I think it might have been better with some tighter editing or created as an animated feature rather than live action. The plot seemed more fantasy/relationship based like a Miazaki feature.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

bearcub
Posts: 1053
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:54 am
Location: Twilight Zone

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bearcub » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:35 am

Yesterday. Cute kinda love story with some life lessons built in. Beatle"s music..... what more can you say.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18550
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:29 am

Murder Mystery, on Netflix

A frivolous comedy, with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. A New York City policeman and his wife go to Europe for a vacation, become involved in the murder of a billionaire. Suspected of being the killer, they solve the murder mystery.

We like frivolous comedies.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
bertilak
Posts: 7515
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:23 pm
Location: East of the Pecos, West of the Mississippi

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by bertilak » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:29 am
Murder Mystery, on Netflix

A frivolous comedy, with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. A New York City policeman and his wife go to Europe for a vacation, become involved in the murder of a billionaire. Suspected of being the killer, they solve the murder mystery.

We like frivolous comedies.
Saw it. Liked it, as far as Adam Sandler movies go. If you like Adam Sandler movies (I do) you will like this one.

Unfortunately, Sandler set the bar a little high with Happy Gilmore's vicious, all-out, fight between Sandler and Bob Barker. Not sure if he'll ever match that!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Capsu78
Posts: 344
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 10:30 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Capsu78 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:12 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 am
Gifted. I'd give it a 7 out of 10. It is a couple years old. It stars Chris Evans and is about an Uncle raising a math prodigy and an ensuing custody fight with his mother.
Thanks! Enjoyed it, wife teared up a couple of times... better her tearing up over a movie that tearing up over her choice in men!

User avatar
Topic Author
abuss368
Posts: 20097
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:40 pm

Finished season 3 of "Shooter" on Netflix. That was the final season. Was not bad.
John C. Bogle: Two Fund Portfolio - Total Stock & Total Bond - “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 56th and Wabasha, Ashtabula, OH

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:48 pm

At Eternity’s Gate (2018) Willem Dafoe, Rupert Friend, Oscar Isaac. Directed by Julian Schnabel. An attempt to look inside the mind and madness of Vincent van Gogh in a way other films haven’t, and is very well executed, in my opinion, and a beautiful film.

At the end of the film it states that the found book of sketches shown in the film was his work as settled fact but nothing in the extras talked about it. So I looked it up online and was disappointed to read that the Van Gogh Museum has declared it to not be by Van Gogh.
https://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/en/news-an ... ogh-museum

The film also presents the alternate theory of the circumstances surrounding his death, that it was not by suicide but that he was shot by a group of teenagers, which I think is plausible.

We borrowed the film from our local public library.
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

lostdog
Posts: 2747
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by lostdog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:44 am

bertilak wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 am
ruralavalon wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:29 am
Murder Mystery, on Netflix

A frivolous comedy, with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston. A New York City policeman and his wife go to Europe for a vacation, become involved in the murder of a billionaire. Suspected of being the killer, they solve the murder mystery.

We like frivolous comedies.
Saw it. Liked it, as far as Adam Sandler movies go. If you like Adam Sandler movies (I do) you will like this one.

Unfortunately, Sandler set the bar a little high with Happy Gilmore's vicious, all-out, fight between Sandler and Bob Barker. Not sure if he'll ever match that!
+1

Saw this a few weeks ago. Very good.
Global Market Cap Equity/1 Year Cash/Bonds || 25x Expenses

User avatar
Go Blue 99
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:42 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Go Blue 99 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am

I know it's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but I thought "Searching" with John Cho was a terrific mystery. It is currently on the rental charts and also available on Starz.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7668870/

If you are the type of person that likes to guess the ending, this movie is for you as the director (a former Google employee) puts in a bunch of subtle clues through-out the film.

stoptothink
Posts: 7865
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:53 am

Go Blue 99 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:33 am
I know it's been mentioned a couple of times in this thread, but I thought "Searching" with John Cho was a terrific mystery. It is currently on the rental charts and also available on Starz.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7668870/

If you are the type of person that likes to guess the ending, this movie is for you as the director (a former Google employee) puts in a bunch of subtle clues through-out the film.
Probably the most creative movie I've seen in a few years.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1979
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Location: 56th and Wabasha, Ashtabula, OH

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Nicolas » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:22 pm

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt, Bruce Bennett, Alfonso Bedoya. Written by B. Traven and John Huston, directed by John Huston.

Fred C. Dobbs and Bob Curtin, two Americans searching for work in Mexico, convince an old prospector to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains.

My all-time favorite movie. I’ve seen it seven or nine times, but not for the last twenty years till now. The film is perfection itself. It’s a tale of what gold can do to a man’s soul.

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.

It’s probably Bogie’s and Walter Huston’s finest performances. The father/son team of Walter and John Huston were both awarded oscars for their work in the same film, the only time that ever happened.

We borrowed the film from our local public library.Image
When you haven't got the coin you're always in the way — Geo. M. Cohan

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 18550
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:22 pm
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948) Humphrey Bogart, Walter Huston, Tim Holt, Bruce Bennett, Alfonso Bedoya. Written by B. Traven and John Huston, directed by John Huston.

Fred C. Dobbs and Bob Curtin, two Americans searching for work in Mexico, convince an old prospector to help them mine for gold in the Sierra Madre Mountains.

My all-time favorite movie. I’ve seen it seven or nine times, but not for the last twenty years till now. The film is perfection itself. It’s a tale of what gold can do to a man’s soul.

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges.

It’s probably Bogie’s and Walter Huston’s finest performances. The father/son team of Walter and John Huston were both awarded oscars for their work in the same film, the only time that ever happened.

We borrowed the film from our local public library.Image

this is an excellent movie, one of my favorites, everyone should try it.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

sedonashine
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:14 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by sedonashine » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:00 am

"A SINGLE FRAME" amazon prime....heartbreaking,yet very inspired ..one American's quest to find a child in a photo taken in war torn Kosovo

Post Reply