What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dottie57

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 pm

wilson08 wrote:
Tue May 28, 2019 2:04 pm
Apollo 11 (2019)

I thought I knew the story of Apollo 11 but this amazing film, with
footage not shown before, was a revelation. This documentary
focused not only on the mission but also the myriad of people and
events behind the scenes that gave the endeavor success. The film
does not have the fuzzy, old film, dated look so a lot of high tech
must have gone into remastering the originals resulting in images
and sounds that are crystal clear.
Highly recommended.
Agree . Watched twice. The reactions of those at mission control was wonderful to watch.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:12 pm

Rocketman.

This is a musical and biography of Elton John. It is 90% depressing. I was not a fan at the time. I would have liked more focus on his life after drugs and alcohol, but overall a hesitant thumbs up :thumbsup
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

michaelingp

Post by michaelingp » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:01 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 pm
michaelingp wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:27 pm
Just saw Rocketman (Elton John biopic) at the neighborhood multiplex. If you haven't been to a movie in a few years, you should go. The digital projectors are incredibly sharp, film making has improved unbelievably, the sound is great, where we went they have lounge chairs that are far apart from others. You have reserved seats, so show up when you want, and it wasn't that expensive ($11 a seat). We loved the "film", but my main reaction was, "We have to get out more often!"
Out of curiosity, how state-of-the-art is your home viewing setup? I ask, because in the past n years, tremendous strides have been made there also. I no longer go to movie theaters, and wonder if I’m missing something; that said, my home theater is leagues better than it was 10 years ago.
Ouch! To be honest, my home viewing setup is a bit dated. I have high def TV and surround sound, but the TV screen size is quite small by today's standards and there's not really room to easily increase it. If you watch mostly what I call "people" movies (say, "Booksmart"), you don't really need theater-style technology, but something like Rocketman (or, say, La La Land) where you have huge choreographed outdoor scenes (spectacle) it's nice, and I don't think I'll ever have that at home.

But what's changed at the multiplex is not just the technology. It is so nice not to have to worry about sitting behind someone tall, or besides someone wide, or getting early to get a good seat.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm

michaelingp wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:01 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
michaelingp wrote:
Just saw Rocketman (Elton John biopic) at the neighborhood multiplex. If you haven't been to a movie in a few years, you should go. The digital projectors are incredibly sharp, film making has improved unbelievably, the sound is great, where we went they have lounge chairs that are far apart from others. You have reserved seats, so show up when you want, and it wasn't that expensive ($11 a seat). We loved the "film", but my main reaction was, "We have to get out more often!"
Out of curiosity, how state-of-the-art is your home viewing setup? I ask, because in the past n years, tremendous strides have been made there also. I no longer go to movie theaters, and wonder if I’m missing something; that said, my home theater is leagues better than it was 10 years ago.
Ouch! To be honest, my home viewing setup is a bit dated. I have high def TV and surround sound, but the TV screen size is quite small by today's standards and there's not really room to easily increase it. If you watch mostly what I call "people" movies (say, "Booksmart"), you don't really need theater-style technology, but something like Rocketman (or, say, La La Land) where you have huge choreographed outdoor scenes (spectacle) it's nice, and I don't think I'll ever have that at home.

But what's changed at the multiplex is not just the technology. It is so nice not to have to worry about sitting behind someone tall, or besides someone wide, or getting early to get a good seat.
I asked in sincerity, not to give you an Ouch moment. Sorry.

I also watch mostly people movies, and don’t really do hyper surround sound kinds of stuff. But, a good system is more immersive, comfortable seats are wonderful and attainable at home as much as in a theater, and most importantly for me, my home doesn’t have people crinkling candy wrappers, texting their friends, explaining the plot to their date, etc. And, if my dogs or I need a bio break, we can pause the show.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:46 pm

Jungle Fever... Old Spike Lee flick with Samuel L Jackson and a young Halle Berry...
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:12 pm

“The Commuter” on Hulu.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

Minot

Post by Minot » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:46 am

A reminder from Moderators' edits to OP:

"Please mention how you saw the movie (DVD, in-person, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.). --admin LadyGeek]

[To keep this on topic, please include whether you would recommend it in your replies - admin alex]
"

I especially appreciate posters who take the time to tell me something about the movie, as well as whether they liked it or not.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 am

Saw on Youtube> full length.

Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall in "The Big Sleep", also "To Have and Have Not"
Romance (wonderful chemistry)

Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in "indiscreet" (1958)
Romantic comedy.

Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in "Notorious"
Suspense, romance.

Gregory Peck and Ingrid Bergman in "Spellbound"
Suspense, romance.

Loved them all. Still do.
These films focus on deep character and relationships. Much of the meaning unspoken or in subtle lines.
Very easy to "get lost" in them.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:27 pm

Rattlesnake wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:46 pm
Jungle Fever... Old Spike Lee flick with Samuel L Jackson and a young Halle Berry on Netflix DVD... We thought it was good....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:18 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:12 pm
Rocketman.

This is a musical and biography of Elton John. It is 90% depressing. I was not a fan at the time. I would have liked more focus on his life after drugs and alcohol, but overall a hesitant thumbs up :thumbsup
Different than what I expected, but I really liked Rocketman.

For those who like romantic comedies, we really enjoyed Crazy Rich Asians.
Last edited by MDfan on Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:22 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm
michaelingp wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:01 pm
TomatoTomahto wrote:
michaelingp wrote:

I asked in sincerity, not to give you an Ouch moment. Sorry.

I also watch mostly people movies, and don’t really do hyper surround sound kinds of stuff. But, a good system is more immersive, comfortable seats are wonderful and attainable at home as much as in a theater, and most importantly for me, my home doesn’t have people crinkling candy wrappers, texting their friends, explaining the plot to their date, etc. And, if my dogs or I need a bio break, we can pause the show.

I think there are certain movies that really need to be seen in theaters (movies like Avengers, Star Wars, war movies), and there are certain movies that are perfectly fine to watch at home (dramas, romantic comedies). Some movies just don't translate to the smaller screen for me.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:40 am

MDfan wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:22 am
TomatoTomahto wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:27 pm
I think there are certain movies that really need to be seen in theaters (movies like Avengers, Star Wars, war movies), and there are certain movies that are perfectly fine to watch at home (dramas, romantic comedies). Some movies just don't translate to the smaller screen for me.
Watching war movies and such on an 85” screen that our seats are close to, with good surround sound, is engaging. The only thing I miss, IME, is the crowd’s laughter during a good comedy.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:16 pm

Bathtubs Over Broadway

Off-beat, entertaining film about industrial musicals, which flourished
during the 50s, 60s, and 70s, but were not meant to be seen by the
general public. These Broadway style productions, that promoted various
products, were for sales personnel, distributors, and retailers.

Funny, creative, and sometimes lavish musicals.
Viewed at movie theater but it is currently streaming on Netflix,
YouTube, and others.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 pm

“Vice” on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle - Two Fund Portfolio: Total Stock & Total Bond. "Simplicity is the master key to financial success."

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:00 pm

This morning's movie was ... The Secret Lives of Pets 2.

While generally, sequels are not good, this movie was actually funnier than the original. There were a lot of good laughs, perhaps mpre from the adults than the children.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:01 am

jlawrence01 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:00 am
We were in a small town with limited movie options. We were going to see Booksmart but after watching the trailer, decided against it.

Instead, we watched A Dog's Journey which was excellent and was well worth the price of admission and tolerating a less than ideal Dolby system. It is highly recommended due to the excellent character development.
Glad you enjoyed it, jlawrence, and I look forward to seeing it when more broadly/cheaply available via my free routes!

For those who don't know, "A Dog's Journey" is actually the sequel to "A Dog's Purpose" which is widely available on DVD/library download these days. "A Dog's Purpose" is an absolute must-see for any dog lover, or for any Dennis Quaid fan for that matter. (He was his masterful self, as always.) I suspect based on the above review and others, "A Dog's Journey" will be also be a must-see for all who are one or the other (or both). I've linked both trailers below. Happy viewing! :happy

Trailers:
A Dog's Purpose
A Dog's Journey

P.S. BTW, these films are loosely based on somebody's novel I haven't read. If anyone reading enjoyed the novel, feel free to post not here but in the BH thread re. "What book have you recently read?" or somesuchsimilar thang....
Last edited by SoAnyway on Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:25 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
michaelingp wrote:
If you haven't been to a movie in a few years, you should go. The digital projectors are incredibly sharp, film making has improved unbelievably, the sound is great, where we went they have lounge chairs that are far apart from others. You have reserved seats, so show up when you want, and it wasn't that expensive ($11 a seat). We loved the "film", but my main reaction was, "We have to get out more often!"
..... I no longer go to movie theaters, and wonder if I’m missing something......
I concur with michaelingp that if you're in a major metro locale that the film distribution companies are focused on, going to the movies these days is COMPLETELY different than a few years ago, for all the specifics above and more. TT, you owe it to yourself to experience it. In short, to answer your question about wondering if you're missing something, one word: YES. You ARE. Esp. for certain types of films. But it's not my job to convince you.

If you want to believe that your home theatre set-up is all you and your family need and ever will, by all means don't ever go. ; )
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:36 pm

Backdraft 2 on Netflix. Not bad at all.

Ragman

Post by Ragman » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm

Rolling Thunder Review on Netflix. It can teach you a lot about life.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:13 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:11 pm
“Vice” on Hulu. Enjoyed it.
I'd second abuss368 w/ "Vice" w/Christen Bale as VP Cheney, it was great presentation imo.

As well as Niall Fergusons (Money & Banking 1*& 2*) as well as his other presentations including a "Hidden .gov Related Networks" movie about operations like Fannie & Freddie, & The Fed.etc. Fergusons opinions seem forthright & plausible.
Last edited by aspirit on Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:27 pm

Ragman wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm
I enjoyed that one, too. (I assume you enjoyed it). For those who are not familiar with it, it's a documentary about Bob Dylan's mid-seventies tour.

Recommended if you like Dylan.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:49 pm

North Dallas Forty
Funding secured

G12

Post by G12 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:53 pm

John Wick 3, thought it was the worst of the 3. Well, other than the Malinois and JW's Pittie.

Rocketman - saw this with my wife. I enjoy most of EJ's music, have seen him in concert 2x, yet I didn't really enjoy the "fantasy" aspects of the movie. My wife liked it much more than me. As a comparison, I enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody much more.

Dark Phoenix - mmmm, not so much but enjoyed the $7 ticket and Dolby sound. Might be Jessica Chastain's worst role ever. I believe this movie has bombed.

The Captain - Netflix DVD, I found this very interesting although it is sub-titled. It is a full 1:50 long and in B&W with very good clarity, the subject matter becomes a bit intense as to how things can quickly change under stress. It did less than $245k in the US, yet I think it is well worth watching. Here is a description, don't read it if you want to know the plot:

"A German army deserter finds a Nazi captain's abandoned uniform during the final weeks of World War II. Emboldened by the authority it suddenly grants him, he amasses a band of stragglers that cedes to his every command -- despite the suspicions of some. Citing direct orders from Hitler himself, he soon takes command of a camp that holds German soldiers accused of desertion -- and begins to dispense harsh justice."

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:26 pm

"Lion" on Netflix was a pleasant surprise. We had skipped over it several times for other titles, but finally decided to watch it last night. It was very good, better than most of the films we had chosen in its place. I hadn't noticed until the end that it was based on a true story. This makes the final scenes especially moving, and it provides an inspiring perspective on a mother's love.
I definitely recommend it.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:55 am
Saw on Youtube> full length.
...Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman in "Notorious" ...
One of my favorite lines from the movie, via Alex's mother after he tells her he's married to an American agent: "We are protected from the enormity of your stupidity, for a time."
John Bogle on his often bumpy road to low-cost indexing: "When a door closes, if you look long enough and hard enough, if you're strong enough, you'll find a window that opens."

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 pm

Ragman wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:40 pm
"Only people that wear masks tell the truth," said Bob Dylan while not wearing a mask.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:43 pm

bengal22 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 pm
"Only people that wear masks tell the truth," said Bob Dylan while not wearing a mask.
Maybe his mask was his stage persona.

See The Bob Dylan Mask:
  • Dylan's persona let him keep the most precious part of himself private, behind the front of a kid on the run, abandoned by parents and society, someone who blew in with the wind. He wasn't Robert Zimmerman, college dropout. He was Bob Dylan, master folksinger, the man who knew, like Woody, that guitars don't lie, who knew words placed just right could lead people over pain, who burned with a fiery drive to sing truth to power.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

hdas

Post by hdas » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:51 pm

Brexit HBO movie....dreadful. :greedy
"whenever there is a randomized way of doing something, then there is a nonrandomized way that delivers better performance but requires more thought" ET Jaynes

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:37 pm

John Wick 3 - saw at the movies. Action (violence) throughout the movie. Didn't see Wick 1 or 2 but still enjoyed the 3rd installment. Granted I missed out how some of the characters were connected but still a good movie.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:57 pm

"Get Hard" on Hulu. Enjoyed it.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:43 pm
bengal22 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:28 pm
Maybe his mask was his stage persona.

See The Bob Dylan Mask:
  • Dylan's persona let him keep the most precious part of himself private, behind the front of a kid on the run, abandoned by parents and society, someone who blew in with the wind. He wasn't Robert Zimmerman, college dropout. He was Bob Dylan, master folksinger, the man who knew, like Woody, that guitars don't lie, who knew words placed just right could lead people over pain, who burned with a fiery drive to sing truth to power.
I think everyone knows that Bob Dylan changes personas like most people change socks. No news there. I was just pointing out the humor in Dylan's music and words.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:00 pm

Unfair: Exposing the IRS by Judd Saul. W/AMZN prime its free.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:19 am

I am Mother, on Netflix. A 2019 sci-fi drama thriller (PG-14).

I watched this movie based on a recommendation from my favorite security podcast, Security Now! (Episode #719). So much for the hype. The movie did indeed have some suspense and it kept me interested until the end. However, I was disappointed in the ending. It seemed like "let's end the movie now" without thought for closure. Or, they have a sequel planned.

Was it worth watching? Yes, but don't go overboard trying to see it. It's a nice change of pace.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 am

We saw the Ron Howard documentary Pavarotti on Friday.

Matinee: $7 per ticket
Beverage Local Tap Beer: Priceless and Tasty

Ron Howard did an excellent job capturing the life, personality, charisma, talent, and voice of operatic legend Luciano Pavarotti in this touching documentary. You'll laugh, cry, and spend your emotions thanks to his humanity, music, and the telling of his life story.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

typical.investor

Post by typical.investor » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:55 am

Wandering Earth - on Netflix

If you like science fiction, I recommend it.

Per the wikipedia page:

It became China's second highest-grossing film of all time,[5] 2019's third highest-grossing film worldwide,[6] the second highest-grossing non-English film to date, and one of the top 20 highest-grossing science fiction films to date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wandering_Earth

Dark Phoenix - in theater

I loved it, but then again I was taking all my paper route money at age 11 and riding the bus alone downtown to the comic book store to buy every issue of xmen I could get. Was great seeing Nightcrawler in action. The XMen franchise under Fox has been kinda disappointing really, but the underlying themes I read years ago are so very, very dear to my heart.

wabbott

Post by wabbott » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:04 pm

Toy Story 2, on Freeform TV. Believe it or not, I only just watched the original Toy Story movie a month ago, on a VHS tape bought for our daughter 24 years ago. I had NO IDEA those movies were that good. I eagerly anticipate TS3 & TS4. Easily as good as ANY Disney classic ever made.

We visited WDW a couple of months ago for the first time in 25 years, so I'm still kind of in the Disney Bubble.

apple44

Post by apple44 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Always be my maybe on Netflix is a very good romantic comedy starring two East Asians and Keanu Reaves. It's very funny. It's a romantic comedy so it follows the genre's general formula but it's done very well. If you like comedy/rom-com, you'll like it.

Yesterday I watched Zodiac on Netflix. It got good reviews but I'm so upset after watching it, because:
[spoiler alert][spoiler alert]

----------------------------------------------------
It's a serial killer case and we still don't know who's the killer!!! I googled it afterwards, and turned out it's a real case in the 60's and 70's and still open! I'm fine if we know who did it but for whatever reason (usually legal) the killer can't be convicted. But in this case, we have a favorite suspect but none of the hard evidence (DNA, fingerprint, etc) supported that theory. A movie about "who did it?" with an ending of "we don't know" is very very unsatisfying!

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm

Late Night. I'm sure this will please a lot of viewers. The two stars are very appealing, but I found the movie to be too predictable and artificial. I recommend Booksmart if you're looking for a good comedy.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:03 pm

apple44 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm
Always be my maybe on Netflix is a very good romantic comedy starring two East Asians and Keanu Reaves. It's very funny. It's a romantic comedy so it follows the genre's general formula but it's done very well. If you like comedy/rom-com, you'll like it.

Yesterday I watched Zodiac on Netflix. It got good reviews but I'm so upset after watching it, because:
[spoiler alert][spoiler alert]
See my post here on how to do a proper spoiler. You should use the format in the next post (background color 1).

If you want assistance, I can fix the post for you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:43 pm

DW and I went to see Rocketman last night and quite enjoyed it. Both of us are EJ/BT fans. I really enjoyed Bohemian Rhapsody as well but thought this was just a bit better in some ways. Thanked DW for getting me out to EJ concerts afterwards. A great talent.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:04 pm

“Interstellar” on Hulu. Enjoyed it.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:07 pm

Because we just vacationed in Tucson, we watched two movies that had been made in Tucson: The Living Desert, a 1953 Walt Disney "True-Life Adventure," and Rio Bravo, a 1959 Western with John Wayne, Dean Martin, Ricky Nelson and Angie Dickinson, directed by Howard Hawks.

I was actually amazed at the sharpness and detail in the photography of The Living Desert. I'm glad I borrowed a Blu-Ray copy, it is absolutely a high-definition movie. I saw it when I was a kid, and it was sort of a big deal because it was one of the first feature-length nature documentaries made. It was both much better and much worse than I remembered. The relentless anthropomorphism was really awful, and so were the clumsy attempt to impose a storyline, and so were the so-obviously staged fights between animals. To say nothing of the scorpion square dance, in which scorpions were made to appear to be executing dance figures by alternating forward and reverse footage.

Rio Bravo unfortunately had less exterior footage than I had hoped for. Nevertheless, it was instantly recognizable as Tucson--or at least as Sonoran desert. That is to say, it was instantly recognizable as not Texas, where the story supposedly takes place. My wife and I thought we recognized the scenes in the opening credits as having been filmed near Gates Pass Road. When we were planning our vacation I thought I might be interested in visiting Old Tucson Studios, where many Westerns were made, but my interest dropped to zero when I learned that it had been almost completely destroyed in a fire in 1995, so even if I were a Western movie buff there I wouldn't have been able to see any of the sets that had been in the films.

Rio Bravo must be the most overrated movie I've ever seen in a long time. I simply cannot believe the degree of praise heaped upon it by critics and cineastes. It struck me as a decent, watchable, thoroughly commercial piece of slick, plastic entertainment. Ars gratia pecuniae. How people can see it as Great Cinema is beyond me. Yes, it is interesting to see Dean Martin acting in a serious part and doing it well. Yes, John Wayne is excellent, as usual, in the role of John Wayne. But there's got to be something beyond what's on the screen that I'm not getting that would explain the encomia. Politics, maybe? "Rio Bravo" was apparently made as a direct response to "High Noon."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Timmy_Tenders

Post by Timmy_Tenders » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:20 pm

Pet Sematary remake

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:04 pm
I have a different opinion (from 2015):
LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:58 am
Interstellar. The opinions in this thread run from "best" to "worst" movie ever. No doubt, it's the worst movie ever - at least for those above "B" grade production quality. Then again, maybe not.

They couldn't get any scientific concepts right. From launch, to landing and taking off, to black hole, it was just totally wrong. No, it was not so bad a movie that it was fun to watch, it was just bad.

The last part of the movie was the worst allusion to 2001 A Space Odyssey I've ever seen. I'll bet Stanley Kubrick rolled over in his grave when this movie came out.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:25 pm

Zoo ,Takes place in Ireland during ww2 blitz. Saving a elephant

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:56 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:24 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:04 pm
I have a different opinion (from 2015):
LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:58 am
Interstellar. The opinions in this thread run from "best" to "worst" movie ever. No doubt, it's the worst movie ever - at least for those above "B" grade production quality. Then again, maybe not.

They couldn't get any scientific concepts right. From launch, to landing and taking off, to black hole, it was just totally wrong. No, it was not so bad a movie that it was fun to watch, it was just bad.

The last part of the movie was the worst allusion to 2001 A Space Odyssey I've ever seen. I'll bet Stanley Kubrick rolled over in his grave when this movie came out.
Interesting!

wabbott

Post by wabbott » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:54 am

I was actually amazed at the sharpness and detail in the photography of The Living Desert. I'm glad I borrowed a Blu-Ray copy, it is absolutely a high-definition movie. I saw it when I was a kid, and it was sort of a big deal because it was one of the first feature-length nature documentaries made. It was both much better and much worse than I remembered. The relentless anthropomorphism was really awful, and so were the clumsy attempt to impose a storyline, and so were the so-obviously staged fights between animals. To say nothing of the scorpion square dance, in which scorpions were made to appear to be executing dance figures by alternating forward and reverse footage.
I share your "big deal" about The Living Desert. IIRC, it was one of the very first movies that I can recall seeing, and it began my lifelong love of Disney stuff - comics, movies, WDW, etc. And, a couple of years later, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea absolutely sealed the deal for me. That movie still works, 64 years on.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:13 pm

apple44 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:21 pm

Second this one...both my wife and I enjoyed it, particularly after the dark seriousness of watching Chernobyl. We needed a little laughter and this story line was well arced and filled with characters you care about.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:24 pm

yesterday which i thot was worth the investment in time and money seeing it at the theater.

yesterday is the story of an unsuccessful musician who wakes up after a 12 second global power outage -- and is the only person in the world who has ever heard of the beatles.
Last edited by miles monroe on Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:13 pm

The White Crow

Gripping story of Russian dancer Rudolph Nureyev who defected in
1961 while on tour Paris. The movie is not just about the defection
but traces the events that forge the thinking, outlook, and burning
ambition of Nureyev beginning with childhood.
The defection itself is a moment of intense tension that has you
rooting for him through every crucial and anxious moment.
Excellent film. Viewed at a theater.