What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Elsebet

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Elsebet » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:01 pm

Watched "The Death of Stalin" last night based on recommendations from this thread. I really enjoyed the subtle and dark comedy elements and the cast was fantastic. My poor husband fell asleep halfway through as usual. :) I will buy it so we can watch it again.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm

Watched "The Shape of Water" on Saturday, was pretty underwhelmed. Super simple plot half full of stereotypical characters. Yawn. Maybe it was supposed to be kind of like starship troopers which is very good.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:57 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm
Watched "The Shape of Water" on Saturday, was pretty underwhelmed. Super simple plot half full of stereotypical characters. Yawn. Maybe it was supposed to be kind of like starship troopers which is very good.
I have to agree, I could not understand why it won so many awards.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:39 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:10 pm
Agreed, I didn't like it either.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:41 pm

khh wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:10 am
The Nutty Professor (1963).

The bold colors are striking, especially the beginning scene. Howie Morris and Kathleen Freeman are hilarious. You can also see a young Greg Morris in the class at the beginning.
I like it too, Jerry's masterpiece.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:48 pm

Blacklist - Season 3 on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Requiem for a Heavyweight (1962) Anthony Quinn, Jackie Gleason, Julie Harris, Mickey Rooney, & cameos by Cassius Clay (as he was then known) and Jack Dempsey playing themselves. Written by Rod Serling. Directed by Ralph Nelson. A prize fighter at the end of his career faces cold reality. A truly great film. Masterful performances by all around.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:21 pm

The Children Act

A British judge(played by Emma Thompson) is consumed by her job consisting
oftentimes of heartrending cases involving personal and family matters. This
career preoccupation places her marriage in jeopardy. She finds some brief
respite through her music and is an excellent pianist.
A teen just under the legal age to be classified as an adult needs life saving
transfusions quickly, but he and his parents object on religious grounds. The
judge must decide the case. The decision has unexpected and complex results
which makes the story more far reaching than a one time courtroom decision.
Great cast, moving drama.

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 3:12 pm

Traveling Salesman on Amazon Prime. I ran across a review of it at plus.math.org; most characters (there are not very many) are mathematicians; Traveling Salesman is the classic optimization problem; four eminent mathematicians (a winner of the Fields Medal etc) are winding up a government grant and are at a debriefing with the grant manager. They have unexpectly come up with a solution to general optimization so that p=np; at least that is how I remember it being phrased in the movie. They are a bit vague on the details of how that was done. The movie covers their discussion of the implications of this discovery (there will no longer be any form of encryption that is too expensive to solve, etc).

The movie manages to generate a certain amount of tension over its course, along with paranoia and mathematical name-droppping. I enjoyed it very much.

FBN2014

Post by FBN2014 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:42 pm

'14 Back" Great movie if your a baseball fan. All about the 1978 collapse of the Red Sox who held a 14 game lead over the Yankees going into September and then lost the division title in a one game playoff. Bucky Dent a journeyman player hit a 3 run homer to crush the Sox.
"October is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May March, June, December, August and February." - M. Twain

grok87

Post by grok87 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:50 pm

Tea with the dames.

I liked it. thought it was well done. I was not that familiar with Eileen Atkins.
Keep calm and Boglehead on. KCBO.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:21 pm

Hanky Panky, on Amazon Prime, starring Gene Wilder and Gilda Radner.

He flees arrest for a murder he didn't commit, she searches for her brother's killer. This is a comedy. I liked this movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:26 pm

Beirut (2018).

A good spy thriller set in Beirut (mostly) during the early 1980s before the Israeli invasion. It's not a James Bond/Jason Bourne type thriller, but rather in the mold of le Carre. That is, no heroics but plenty of character flaws and shifting alliances. Change the CIA to MI-6 and replace Jon Hamm with Pierce Brosnan, and you'd swear that it had to be based on a le Carre novel.

Pigeon

Post by Pigeon » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:52 pm

Saw A Simple Favor today. Loved it. Lots of plot twists and fun characters

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 am

Farewell, My Lovely, on Amazon Prime.

The movie is based on a novel by Raymond Chandler, and stars Robert Mitchum and Charlotte Rampling. Philip Marlow searches for the girlfriend of a recently paroled convict. This is a good movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Atomic Blond on either HBO or Netflix.

I thought this movie was amazing with the use colored lights and one of the best fight scenes I've seen. It was like a live action pop art with great visual composition of each scene. Whoever did the wardrobe needs an award too. The stairwell fight scene was made to look like a single cut that's probably 10 minutes long. Its also pretty dialogue heavy so watch it when you can pay attention.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 pm

A post reviewing the "Black Panther" and a reply have been removed. Please avoid any opinions which describe the racial makeup of this movie (offensive).

As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
avoid profanities, obscenities, lewd and otherwise offensive words and remarks
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:40 pm

Maniac on Netflix. Really enjoyed it.
Fukunaga channels Charlie Kaufman (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Adaptation, Being John Malkovich, others) and Kubrick.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:54 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:57 pm
A post reviewing the "Black Panther" and a reply have been removed. Please avoid any opinions which describe the racial makeup of this movie (offensive).

As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
avoid profanities, obscenities, lewd and otherwise offensive words and remarks
Fair enough. Perhaps I got carried away so my sincere apologies to anyone I have offended. Following is my modified post ...

Watched Black Panther recently. The only good thing about the movie is some great acting from Michael Jordan. In fact I was hoping to see a twist in the story where he becomes the Black Panther. IMO, he would've made a much better Black Panther. Chadwick Boseman is a good actor but not convincing as a super hero material. In fact, so far in all Marvel movies, I think only Robert Downey Jr. (as Ironman) has been able to carry a movie by himself. Of course, he is an actor first and a star next so there's that. Hopefully, Boseman will get paired with other great actors (like they did for Thor, Captain America etc.) so he won't have to carry the movie himself.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Mon Oct 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Netflix's 'Once upon a time in America' (84)
Director Sergio Leone's epic crime drama of the rise of ethnically organized crime factions blossoming as to be recognized in the 1929 crash era. I found it quite realistic watching its characters age in the movie timeline set initially in the 30's to first world trade center basements bombing era.... (Rated (R) back then no doubt )
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:20 pm

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:55 pm

Operation Finale - very good. I was in High School when Eichmann was tried in Israel. I recommend it.

This article http://time.com/5373420/true-story-operation-finale/ notes the differences between the movie and actual history.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm

Saw 'First Man' tonight with DW. We both enjoyed it very much.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 am

Leave no trace.

Great movie by the director of winter bones
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:12 pm

6miths wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm
Saw 'First Man' tonight with DW. We both enjoyed it very much.
Thanks. I was wondering if that is something I might like.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:58 am

Lone Star 1996 by Chris Cooper and several big names who played with more a supporting role, such as Mathew McConaughey and Frances McDormand.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116905/?ref_=nv_sr_1

It is a great crime story with excellent twist at the end, both the killer and the love story behind the drama. Guess this is or new western. For those who enjoyed this genre, I also highly recommend Hell Or High Water.

The movie was over 2 hours but I enjoyed the pace and character development and the many subplots with flashbacks.

On the previous night, I watched Pay It Forward by Kevin Spacey and Helen Hunt. It is a work of fiction but a heart warming story about altruism and its impact of lives of others. The child actor was Haley Joel Osment who delivered his excellent performance again.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:51 am

Black Panther, on Netflix. In comparison to previous Marvel movies, I thought the plot was creative and was presented from a very different perspective. Stan Lee made his expected cameo appearance. I liked it.

Previously - Wonder Woman, on DVD. The first half was boring and predictable. It got more interesting towards the end. Meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:54 am

Columbus

The real star of this film is Columbus, Indiana, which is a mecca of the Modernist period in architecture - particularly the works of Finnish architect Ero Saarinen (sp?).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5990474/

However the 2 main actors, one Korean-American (John Cho - Mr Sulu in the new Star Trek movies) and Cary Lu Richardson, give amazing performances. Very natural and they fill their characters.

A man flies in from Seoul, Korea, to visit his father who is in a coma in the local hospital. His father was an architect or professor of architecture. His relationship with his father is part of what we will discover.

He meets a young woman who is living with her mother after high school, but has not progressed on to college. Why is part of the story that unfolds.

She shows him the buildings in the town that she loves.

This is a very touching film, thought provoking. Nothing much happens in it - it's almost European cinema in its sensibilities. It's the director's first full length feature and he majors, for example, on fixed camera shots (no panning) where the characters talk and interact moving around in that frame.

I have to say I enjoyed this as much as any film I have seen in the last twelve-month.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:03 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:51 am
Black Panther, on Netflix. In comparison to previous Marvel movies, I thought the plot was creative and was presented from a very different perspective. Stan Lee made his expected cameo appearance. I liked it.

Previously - Wonder Woman, on DVD. The first half was boring and predictable. It got more interesting towards the end. Meh.
The cinematography when she charges across No Man's Land is peerless. When it cuts to the German soldiers' view of this apparition, charging at them.

Some of the character portrayals were fantastic - particularly Danny Huston as General Ludendorf (a historical figure). And Gal Godot (Wonder Woman) herself. Chris Pine (Steve Trevor) at least keeps out of the way and lets her fill the screen.

As the first superhero movie with a woman director, and (one of) the first with a female lead, I think this was a pretty important film. What Black Panther did for non-white, non-Aryan superheroes, and Jin Erso (Felicity Jones) did in dominating the screen in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Rey (Daisy Ridley) isn't quite there yet, but I think the characterization and plots are weaker*), so did Wonder Woman for female superheroes.

* Solo: A Star Wars Story - is a stronger script which honours the original tone and themes of the series very well (Japanese Samurai movie/ Western set in space) and with some very strong performances. But the sense of desperation and sacrifice in Rogue One and of titanic forces doomed to collide -- that plus Felicity Jones' performance (and the robot K2) -- I just found myself glued to the screen.

Episodes VII & VIII are so far retellings of the original series -- down to almost frame by frame reconstructions of some shots.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:20 am

Hotel Artemis (not what I came for but, because I saw the Lady at the video store put 4 back on the shelf yesterday from Saturday night rentals)....

Jody Foster and crew in action.... Not great but, I've seen worse....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 am

bengal22 wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:12 am
Leave no trace. Got DVD from library. About a vet with PTSD and his daughter. He is unable to live in society but she is starting to want a normal life with people.

Great movie by the director of winter bones
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 am

DW and I watched "Mama Mia....Here We Go Again" on Friday night........

It was very good.....not as good as the first "Mama Mia"....but still very entertaining.

Didn't realize that Meryl Streep was not in the second movie until we started watching it. She was at top performance in the first one,......really missed her in the second.....but still give it an "8".

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:27 am

The Wife

A writer is notified that he has won the Nobel Prize for literature.
In truth, his wife was the ghost writer behind the scenes that
gave his books success. How things developed this way unfolds
in an intriguing way with carefully crafted flashbacks.
Stellar performances by Jonathan Pryce and Glenn Close.
Recommended

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:03 pm

fishandgolf wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:00 am
DW and I watched "Mama Mia....Here We Go Again" on Friday night........
It was very good.....not as good as the first "Mama Mia"....but still very entertaining.
Didn't realize that Meryl Streep was not in the second movie until we started watching it. She was at top performance in the first one,......really missed her in the second.....but still give it an "8".
Yes - I liked it as well. So did I.

If you saw the first one (as I did), some of the story line and "continuity" was a little strange.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:13 pm

Saw the latest iteration of "A Star is Born" starring Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga. There will be some Oscars handed out for this one.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:45 pm

I continue to be puzzled at the generally high cost of going to the movies in person. Maybe I am just living in the past.. :oops:

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:00 pm

“A Star Is Born” — Bradley Cooper does a good job as director and co-star. It’s the old chestnut first concocted by William Wellman in 1937, bit if you accept the story for the fairy tale it is, the flick is enjoyable.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:31 pm

Just watched 'First Man'.

TravelforFun

Index24

Post by Index24 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Ready Player One. I read the book first and didn't think the movie was as good.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 pm

Chappaquiddick. Film attempts to chronicle the kennedy family and democrat party cover up in the death of Mary Jo Kopechne.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:27 pm

Monsters and Men. The film struck a sensitive chord in me. It deals with three men of color who are faced with separate, difficult choices in the aftermath of an explosive, tragedy, in light of their differing backgrounds and goals. The acting was quite good, and the story telling from one setting to another was seamlessly done. I wondered after the movie how the men of color in my family would react to the tests of character faced by the men in the film. An excellent film from my standpoint.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 pm
Chappaquiddick. Film attempts to chronicle the kennedy family and democrat party cover up in the death of Mary Jo Kopechne.
OK - your opinions are fine with me. I suggest, though, using the correct words.

The party is the Democratic party and a person who belongs to that party is a Democrat.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:52 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:54 am
Columbus

The real star of this film is Columbus, Indiana, which is a mecca of the Modernist period in architecture - particularly the works of Finnish architect Ero Saarinen (sp?).

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5990474/

This is a very touching film, thought provoking. Nothing much happens in it - it's almost European cinema in its sensibilities. It's the director's first full length feature and he majors, for example, on fixed camera shots (no panning) where the characters talk and interact moving around in that frame.

I have to say I enjoyed this as much as any film I have seen in the last twelve-month.

I would really agree with this analysis. It is a very slow moving film but with some strong and interesting charachters.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:57 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:34 pm
Atomic Blond on either HBO or Netflix.

I thought this movie was amazing with the use colored lights and one of the best fight scenes I've seen. It was like a live action pop art with great visual composition of each scene. Whoever did the wardrobe needs an award too. The stairwell fight scene was made to look like a single cut that's probably 10 minutes long. Its also pretty dialogue heavy so watch it when you can pay attention.
Movie wasnt bad. Not really my genre, but loved the music(early - mid 80s new wave/alternative) very good visuals as you indicate.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm

Just saw Free Solo, the documentary of Alex Honnold free soloing El Capitan. Easily one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, and probably the greatest athletic achievement of all time.
Last edited by dustinst22 on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:21 pm

Watched July 22 ( Based on the terrorist attack in Norway) on Netflix this evening.

Good movie, slow at times but overall a well done glimpse into the events that unfolded that day as well as the trial that followed.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 am

dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm
Just saw Free Solo, the documentary of Alex Honnold free soloing El Capitan. Easily one of the best documentaries I've ever seen, and probably the greatest athletic achievement of all time.
Here's a link to the Ted Talk he did. It's only about 12 min long but still manages to convey the magnitude of his accomplishment.

If you think planning and risk management is important in finance, watch Alex put his life on the line [or rather lack thereof] on El Cap ;)

How I Climbed a 3,000-Foot Vertical Cliff Without Ropes

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:27 am

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:20 am
dustinst22 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:15 pm
Here's a link to the Ted Talk he did. It's only about 12 min long but still manages to convey the magnitude of his accomplishment.

If you think planning and risk management is important in finance, watch Alex put his life on the line [or rather lack thereof] on El Cap ;)

How I Climbed a 3,000-Foot Vertical Cliff Without Ropes

Thanks for sharing, good listen. Whats really striking to me is how awkward he is talking to people. He clearly memorized this speech and it comes across as totally unnatural for him to deliver it. He comes across as very introverted and unemotional. Intriguing guy. The documentary is phenomenal.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:39 pm

New Jack City. [OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

2b2

Post by 2b2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:43 pm

But New Jack City is fiction, right?

2b2