What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wilson08

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by wilson08 »

The Good Catholic

An affable, dedicated young priest goes through his daily routine
but you get the sense there is some restlessness and unfulfillment
deep within. Unexpectedly, a savvy, street smart woman enters
into his life and complexity sets in.
The antics of John McGinley, who plays a Franciscan friar, add some
great humor to the film.
8/10
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:02 pm
madbrain wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:23 am Molly's Game. Great movie. Jessica Chastain is perfect, as usual.
Have to agree, just watched that this weekend. Very entertaining.

We watched The Shape of Water last night and while it was enjoyable I'm not sure why it won so many awards. The ending seemed very predictable and rushed.
Loved Molly's Game. Also, knowing who one of the celebrity poker players may be (in real life), adds resonance. He's a jerk, to put it mildly.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Two movies still in theaters, A Wrinkle in Time and Tomb Raider. And a pattern I hadn't expected, young women setting out in search of their missing fathers. It's been a long time since I read the book, but I thought A Wrinkle in Time got the book mostly right. Since I consider it almost a miracle when a movie adaptation manages to get anything right, that makes it beyond miraculous. Tomb Raider was quite good, much better than I expected, but people with real bones (you know, the kind that break) should not try doing these things at home.
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

Avengers: Infinity War

It was .... something. Every bit the spectacle you assume it would be and probably the best use of CGI ever made. The acting was as good as it ever was. Marvel has always had a knack for choosing good actors to inhabit their characters. I won't discuss the plot at all.

Very enjoyable.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Hostiles with Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike and other terrific actors. A harsh drama covering a harsher American west in the 1800s post civil war. A story about a U.S. cavalry soldiers (Bale) hatred of Indians and his coming to terms and redemption while on a harrowing trek. By far one of the grittier westerns to hit the big screen that I have ever seen.
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

You Were Never Really Here. I give it 2 stars. Too disjointed for me, and I read the wikipedia plot explanation afterwards and thought, "were some scenes in my version of the movie edited out because I don't remember that."

Blockers. 3 stars, maybe 3.5. I though this was a fun and enjoyable movie with a different take on teens than most movies (and perhaps an unrealistic one).
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Thank You For Your Service.

It is a look at how 3 servicemen handle PTSD after a tour in Iraq. I found the movie to be disturbingly intense. Watching it once is enough.
MJW

Post by MJW »

reggiesimpson wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:20 pm Hostiles with Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike and other terrific actors. A harsh drama covering a harsher American west in the 1800s post civil war. A story about a U.S. cavalry soldiers (Bale) hatred of Indians and his coming to terms and redemption while on a harrowing trek. By far one of the grittier westerns to hit the big screen that I have ever seen.
I saw a preview for this movie a while back and thought it looked interesting, and then completely forgot about it until I saw your post. Might have to check it out.
SGM

Post by SGM »

Borg/McEnroe was a good film. I never knew how stressed Borg was and what a temper he had beginning as a top amateur as a kid. Borg was banned from top amateur play for 6 months when young. His future coach was almost a second father too him. Borg became obsessive compulsive and remained so in his 20s until his early retirement at age 26. McEnroe was well played by Shia LaBeouf and may win him an academy award nomination. You don't have to be nuts about tennis to enjoy this film. The psychological tribulations of these tennis stars would be of interest to most.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We were so looking forward to Mollie's Game, especially after reading such good reviews here.

Alas, although it was "good", we were rather disappointed.

We can't quite put our finger(s?) on what didn't quite click, but it just didn't seem to be such a "special" movie.

Parts of it were very good, but overall, a slight disappointment.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Just came back from "Bad Samaritan". Kept us on the edge of our seats, even though many parts of the movie are laughably implausible.
bpp

Post by bpp »

Darkest Hour. Disappointed in the historical inaccuracies (fatal flaw for an historical drama), but also the characterization of Churchill seemed off somehow. I think it was that the eyes seemed wrong, making him look like a scared rabbit all the time, even when delivering his most famous, impassioned speech. Needed a bit more bluster and smirk at times. Though perhaps that is my received notion speaking.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Annihilation. It's bad and not in a good way. Takes itself way too seriously.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Too Big To Fail". Really good.
Last edited by abuss368 on Sun May 06, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Inside Job". Jeff Luire, Owner of the Philadelphia Eagles, produced the film. Really good.
travellight

Post by travellight »

The Quiet place. It was very good. I didn't even want to see it because I don't like scary movies but it was very well made.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

travellight wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 7:20 pm The Quiet place. It was very good. I didn't even want to see it because I don't like scary movies but it was very well made.
Saw it tonight. It was very original and clever in that it was a concept that was original and unique yet very simple. It was very intense, to the point by an hour in I was kind of exhausted and done with it.

Walking out my wife and I were doing a lot of “why didn’t they just do this....”. They abandoned common sense and simple physics quite a few times.
Harley BenV

Post by Harley BenV »

Hey fellas, returning here after quite a long time. Hope everyone's good here.

Recently watched Avengers Infinity War, 12 Strong (war movie), a quite place, Black Panther, The ritual (Netflix) and Veronica from Netflix again. All these were good ones.
Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking »

Brimstone was good due to the way that the plot was revealed. It actually was revealed in reverse chronological order. I enjoyed the presentation more than the actual plot; however, I enjoyed Dakota Fanning's performance as the protagonist. Her character was a strong woman which seems to be a theme of more movies these days - a concept that is long over due.

DMW
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

Amazon primes : "When Banana ruled", directed by Mathilde Damoisel. A docu-dramatization of when power & capital in the 19th century = bananas.
The movies close to the literature I've researched on this era.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Life of the Party. Left after an hour. You've been warned.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Wonder.

My wife and I really enjoyed it, but it is emotional and can remind you of just how cruel growing up can be.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"Broken" with Sir Anthony Hopkins on Netflix. I enjoyed it.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Madeline - One of the few good movies made for girls.

The Rider - A good movie with first time actors showing the life of a "retired" rodeo cowboy
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Deleted
Last edited by Nicolas on Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav

Post by Pranav »

Raazi https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raazi
I recommend it.
Currently showing in some theaters.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki
Thrifty1

Post by Thrifty1 »

Disobedience: about what happens to people whose biology clashes with the principles of the religious sect they were born into. This movie has little to no action, but a lot of emotion, most of which is not spoken. Rachel Weisz is terrific.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

An American In Paris

Gene Kelly, Leslie Caron
Directed by Vincente Minnelli

My wife and I attended the St. Louis Symphony Orchestra Friday. The movie was shown on a screen was above the orchestra, with the musicians playing below. Oscar Levant's piano playing was from the film, but all the other music was provided by the orchestra. I was so happy I went to see this, as was my wife. I had seen the movie maybe 10 years ago, but this was the 60th anniversary digital remaster, and the picture and sound quality were outstanding. The SLSO played beautifully, and it was a treat seeing the movie on the big screen in a symphony hall. Amazing choreography by Kelly. Winner of six Oscars including 1951 Best Picture.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:13 am "Out of the Furnace" with Christian Bale on Netflix.
Quoting quite an old post but I watched this recently and loved it. However I grew up about 1.5 hours away from Pittsburgh and once I could drive we went there as often as possible. It was nice seeing some familiar scenes in that movie.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
chasingadvice

Post by chasingadvice »

The Body (2012)-- El cuerpo (original title) : One of the best plot twist which I didn't see coming.
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

The Leisure Seeker

An elderly couple embark (unannounced) on a journey from Massachusetts to
Key West in a vintage RV, much to the dismay of their grown children who
get check-in calls occasionally from the parents but have no idea where they
are. The man (Donald Sutherland) has Alzheimer's and the woman (Helen Mirren)
is in the advanced stages of cancer. Both actors, particularly Mirren, are excellent
in their roles.
Although much of the story is touching and timely, some of the humor and elements
of the plot are almost checklist predictable. I'll give it an ok, I do not feel like I
wasted my money due to the acting of the two leads but I was not enamored by the
film.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

TxAg wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:27 pm Hostiles

I really really liked this movie!
Just watched this last night. Usually I work while my husband and I are watching movies but I could not tear my eyes away from this one. Really enjoyed it, Christian Bale and Rosamund Pike and honestly the entire cast deliver as usual. My only question was that the buildings in the movie looked quite modern, however this could be accurate as I'm not an expert in that period's architecture.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Maigret Sets a Trap (2016), a TV movie staring Rowan Atkinson

So, can Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean, Johnny English) pull off playing an older, world weary, police detective in a serious noir film? Oddly enough, the answer is a resounding "Yes!" Atkinson was the heart and soul of the show. I was completely engrossed in this movie.

The story is by Georges Simenon, one of the most prolific mystery writers of the early to mid 20h century. He is most known for his Maigret novels/stories.

This TV movie is a wonderful period piece, the period being 1950's Paris France. The plot is one of Simenon's most popular, based on the number of adaptations.

I will summarize the plot without any spoilers. In Paris, a series of women are murdered. Maigret must find and stop the serial killer under pressure of his superiors wanting quick resolution and the threat of being removed from the case due to lack of progress. Clever (and psychological, and shoe leather) police work ensues! This is a police procedural and not a shoot-em-up action movie.

There are currently four of these movies plus a fifth "in production." I expect more will be coming. I've seen only this one. One more is available on Amazon streaming (with Britbox add-on subscription). The rest are apparently too new for streaming (2017, 2018). I don't know why they are not considered different episodes of a series, but instead listed as separate movies, perhaps because the original novels were independent.

I discovered this movie because I just finished a Simenon/Maigret novel and did an IMDB search for Maigret. I knew there were older adaptations and was surprised by this very recent set.
Last edited by bertilak on Tue May 29, 2018 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

Really enjoyed the German mini-series now on Netflix, Cheritè. It is a somewhat fictionalized, yet compelling, story about the medical research done at the Cheritè Hospital in Berlin during in the late 1800's. Looking forward to seeing Alicia Von Rittberg in more major roles.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 9:33 am Maigret Sets a Trap (2016), a TV movie staring Rowan Atkinson

So, can Rowan Atkinson (aka Mr. Bean, Johnny English) pull off playing an older, world weary, police detective in a serious noir film? Oddly enough, the answer is a resounding "Yes!" Atkinson was the heart and soul of the show. I was completely engrossed in this movie.

The story is by Georges Simenon, one of the most prolific mystery writers of the early to mid 20h century. He is most known for his Maigret novels/stories.

This TV movie is a wonderful period piece, the period being 1950's Paris France.The plot is one of Simenon's most popular, based on the number of adaptations.

I will summarize the plot without any spoilers. In Paris, a series of women are murdered. Maigret must find and stop the serial killer under pressure of his superiors wanting quick resolution and the threat of being removed from the case due to lack of progress. Clever (and psychological, and shoe leather) police work ensues! This is a police procedural and not a shoot-em-up action movie.

There are currently four of these movies plus a fifth "in production." I expect more will be coming. I've seen only this one. One more is available on Netflix streaming. The rest are apparently too new for streaming (2017, 2018). I don't know why they are not considered different episodes of a series, but instead listed as separate movies, perhaps because the original novels were independent.

I discovered this movie because I just finished a Simenon/Maigret novel and did an IMDB search for Maigret. I knew there were older adaptations and was surprised by this very recent set.
Thanks for mentioning this.

We watched it last night, and are looking forward to the next ones.

Which other Maigret episode is available on Netflix?

RM
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 am Which other Maigret episode is available on Netflix?
My mistake, now corrected above.

It is available on Amazon streaming but only if you get the Britbox add-on subscription. That's pretty cheap and has other fun stuff.

The other available show is Maigret's Dead man.

In total:
Maigret Sets a Trap on Britbox
Maigret's Dead Man on Britbox
Maigret's Night on the Crossroads not yet(?) on Britbox
Maigret in Montmartre not yet(?) on Britbox
Another ??? I could not find another Atkinson Maigret listed as "in production." There is another Atkinson movie that is "post-production" but it's not a Maigret. I may have misread it earlier.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 9:50 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 7:30 am Which other Maigret episode is available on Netflix?
My mistake, now corrected above.

It is available on Amazon streaming but only if you get the Britbox add-on subscription. That's pretty cheap and has other fun stuff.

The other available show is Maigret's Dead man.

In total:
Maigret Sets a Trap on Britbox
Maigret's Dead Man on Britbox
Maigret's Night on the Crossroads not yet(?) on Britbox
Maigret in Montmartre not yet(?) on Britbox
Another ??? I could not find another Atkinson Maigret listed as "in production." There is another Atkinson movie that is "post-production" but it's not a Maigret. I may have misread it earlier.
Thanks. We'll look for it.
We really enjoyed the first one.

Wasn't there a much older Maigret series, with a heavy-set actor?
Perhaps I'm thinking about a different old series?

And of course, we definitely miss Suchet's Poirot. He was the best...

RM
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 am Wasn't there a much older Maigret series, with a heavy-set actor?
There were several. I did see a few episodes of one earlier series. Might have been the 1990s Michel Gambon version but I would need to check to be sure.
Is there any other actor who so thoroughly defined or owned a role? I can think of a few candidates but they don't rise to the same level: Garner/Rockford+Maverick, Selleck/Magnum, Falk/Columbo. Why are they all detectives of one sort or another, Poirot included?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

bertilak wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:43 am
ResearchMed wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 10:03 am Wasn't there a much older Maigret series, with a heavy-set actor?
There were several. I did see a few episodes of one earlier series. Might have been the 1990s Michel Gambon version but I would need to check to be sure.
Is there any other actor who so thoroughly defined or owned a role? I can think of a few candidates but they don't rise to the same level: Garner/Rockford+Maverick, Selleck/Magnum, Falk/Columbo. Why are they all detectives of one sort or another, Poirot included?
Michael Gambon! That was it :happy

And I'll go with just *one* other: Peter Falk/Columbo.

The others? Sure Garner/Maverick was great, but I *could* imagine someone else in that role. I don't think it *had* to be "him".
We never bothered with Selleck in anything.

Ah, one other runner-up: Sean Connery as "Bond,James Bond"
None of those who followed had that same je ne sais quoi... (and one of them seemed a total misfit).

But Suchet/Poirot.... We miss him.... :(

Thanks!

RM
Reubin

Post by Reubin »

We just went to see Solo and we loved it. I recommend it.
PolarPineapple

Post by PolarPineapple »

Deadpool 2 - In theaters. Pretty solid

Online:
My Friend Dahmer - As told by a high school friend of Jeffrey Dahmer, before he became who famous serial killer. Not a bad flick.
Miss Sloane - Jessica Chastain playing a high powered female lobbyist taking on gun rights. Pretty good. Overall, better than Molly's Game, her other recent release.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Welcome to the forum :) .

PolarPineapple wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 am Deadpool 2 - In theaters. Pretty solid

Online:
My Friend Dahmer - As told by a high school friend of Jeffrey Dahmer, before he became who famous serial killer. Not a bad flick.
Miss Sloane - Jessica Chastain playing a high powered female lobbyist taking on gun rights. Pretty good. Overall, better than Molly's Game, her other recent release.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Solo: A Star Wars Story...pleasantly surprised how much we liked it.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We started "Blacklist" on Netflix. A few episodes in and we are really enjoying the show.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Consider posting that in: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 5:58 pm Consider posting that in: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show
Wouldn't it be better to have a generalized streaming thread? Netflix isn't the only streaming source. I have only Netflix and Amazon and still, I often don't remember where I saw something. There are others I haven't tried yet (e.g. Hulu).

The boundaries are getting fuzzy between streaming and Over the Air (OTA). How should one categorize DirecTV's on-demand?

Another boundary that is fuzzy is between Movies, TV Movies, TV Mini-series (e.g. Breaking Bad or HBO's Night Manager -- both of which have a single story arc) and something like the Maigret "show" I mentioned above. In some places (IMDB) the four available shows are treated as separate entities but Wikipedia lists the as four episodes in two series (2016 and 2017).

This is the most generalized thread.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Yes, it would.

After considering bertilak's post and receiving a PM from another member, I have combined the Netflix and Hulu threads and retitled that thread. See: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

This thread is for movies from any source (and in person). The other thread is for TV shows - more than 1 episode - from any source. The first post of both threads has been updated to explain the intent.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Big Sleep (1946) Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Elisha Cook Jr. Directed by Howard Hawks.

Fun to watch film noir but with an incomprehensible plot.

Synopsis from IMDB: "Private detective Philip Marlowe is hired by a rich family. Before the complex case is over, he's seen murder, blackmail, and what might be love.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm »

PolarPineapple wrote: Wed May 30, 2018 7:44 am Deadpool 2 - In theaters. Pretty solid
I just saw this tonight. Hilarious! :D
"I'm investing in stocks... chicken, beef, and vegetable. It's risky, but I know one day it'll pay off & I'll be a bouillonaire. Who knows, I might even open up a Broth IRA."
CookEMstr

Post by CookEMstr »

Chef on Netflix. Loved it!