What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Iliketoridemybike

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:05 pm

Game Night

Enough twists and turns to keep you guessing, but without the need for lots of deep thought. Good Saturday afternoon flick.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:22 pm

Koogie wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 am
VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:20 am
The Death of Stalin
Yesterday I have attended an advanced showing of the film followed by a discussion with the director Armando Iannucci. This is a fantastic film, the best one I've seen in years.
Victoria
I did enjoy it but wouldn't say it was flawless. As a farce about the struggle for power in the Politburo after the death of Stalin it definitely worked. Rather than being a broad comedy it is a farce focused on the banality of evil and the egos of powerful elderly men.

Great performances by almost all of the cast. And using their native British or American accents plays up the comedic aspects.

One I would definitely watch again.
I agree that it probably had flaws. But I was smitten with the film's brilliant weaving of tragedy and comedy, humanity and villainy, historical backdrop and liberties taken with the history--that I was unable to be critical.

The Death of Stalin is banned in Russia and several other former Soviet republics. During the Q&A, Iannucci joked that the Russians are the most advanced nation in pulling restricted content from the web.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
The Death of Stalin...
In case you haven't already seen it, World War Two: Behind Closed Doors—Stalin, the Nazis and the West.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:22 pm
I agree that it probably had flaws. But I was smitten with the film's brilliant weaving of tragedy and comedy, humanity and villainy, historical backdrop and liberties taken with the history--that I was unable to be critical.
The Death of Stalin is banned in Russia and several other former Soviet republics. During the Q&A, Iannucci joked that the Russians are the most advanced nation in pulling restricted content from the web.
Victoria
I was fairly smitten with it as well. And it is great that you got to hear Armando speak about his own film.

I thought that Jason Isaacs did a great job as Zhukov. It was a brilliant idea to use a no nonsense Northern accent for the character.

At the risk of going off topic, I read the Wikipedia entry on Marshall Zhukov afterwards. What an incredible general. The personal friendship based on mutual admiration that apparently developed between him and Dwight Eisenhower was extraordinary. If it hadn't been stymied by their respective governments perhaps the history of the Cold War could have been quite different.

jpsc

Post by jpsc » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:52 pm

Just saw Tomb Raider last night - I give it a 5 Stars, you want to see that in big screen !!
A lot better than the sleeper Wrinkle in time

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Bylo Selhi wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:50 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
The Death of Stalin...
In case you haven't already seen it, World War Two: Behind Closed Doors—Stalin, the Nazis and the West.
Thank you, Bylo, I will check it out,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:01 pm

Koogie wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:12 pm
I thought that Jason Isaacs did a great job as Zhukov. It was a brilliant idea to use a no nonsense Northern accent for the character.

At the risk of going off topic, I read the Wikipedia entry on Marshall Zhukov afterwards. What an incredible general. The personal friendship based on mutual admiration that apparently developed between him and Dwight Eisenhower was extraordinary. If it hadn't been stymied by their respective governments perhaps the history of the Cold War could have been quite different.
In The Death of Stalin, Zhukov is a fearless no-nonsense leader. His achievements during WWII are widely admired, and he deserves some credit for the victory of the Allied forces. However, Stalin had propensity for getting rid of precisely such people, people who were talented, admired, famous, and could challenge Stalin's competence or power. In the Soviet Union, we had jokes about Stalin periodically calling Zhukov and asking him "Comrade Zhukov, how come you are still not of jail?"

Under Stalin, only idiots and jokers (like Khrushchov) could survive. But Zhukov could not pretend to be an idiot. And his global fame could not protect him. The Russians never had qualms about getting rid of well known people and did not worry about the deniability or the public opinion.

And so for me it was a bit strange to see assertive Krushchov and Zhukov so soon after Stalin's death. But perhaps, that's exactly how they had to be to get rid of Beria and the most egregious abuses of the Stalinism.

Victoria

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:26 pm

Annihilation.

It is a difficult film to sell to the public as well as reviewing it. It's kind of reminiscent of the typical answers that I heard earlier in the movie's dialogue, "I don't know".

It's more similar to the Russian's 1979 Stalker than Ridley Scott's Alien from the same year. Walked out with my brain hurting. Some (especially movie critics 87% from Rottentomatoes) will enjoy this one while others (the public 68%) will blow it off.

Take your poison.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:16 pm

Koogie wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:37 am
VictoriaF wrote:
The Death of Stalin
Yesterday I have attended an advanced showing of the film followed by a discussion with the director Armando Iannucci. This is a fantastic film, the best one I've seen in years.
Victoria
I did enjoy it but wouldn't say it was flawless. As a farce about the struggle for power in the Politburo after the death of Stalin it definitely worked. Rather than being a broad comedy it is a farce focused on the banality of evil and the egos of powerful elderly men.

Great performances by almost all of the cast. And using their native British or American accents plays up the comedic aspects.

One I would definitely watch again.
Here is a good review.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018 ... evil-funny

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:30 pm

Black Panther. Very good for a comic book movie.

The Darkest Hour. I'd heard mixed things about this, but I enjoyed very much.

I recommend both.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:20 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:26 pm
Annihilation.

It is a difficult film to sell to the public as well as reviewing it. It's kind of reminiscent of the typical answers that I heard earlier in the movie's dialogue, "I don't know".

It's more similar to the Russian's 1979 Stalker than Ridley Scott's Alien from the same year. Walked out with my brain hurting. Some (especially movie critics 87% from Rottentomatoes) will enjoy this one while others (the public 68%) will blow it off.

Take your poison.
I enjoyed it. I thought it was underhyped.

timmy

Post by timmy » Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Game Night

A bit crude so if you are turned off by such things, not your movie. Otherwise, it was very funny.

Iliketoridemybike

Post by Iliketoridemybike » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:42 pm

The Shape of Water. One of a kind. Great movie.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:56 pm

"Dirty Money" on Netflix. Revealing, entertaining and very well done.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:41 pm

To Rome With Love (2012) Woody Allen, Roberto Benigni, Alec Baldwin, Penelope Cruz. Hated it, painful to watch. Woody Allen isn't funny anymore. Only bright spots were Benigni and the Rome cityscapes. Avoid.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:34 am

Ladybird

Funny in part, tragic in part, interesting in other parts. Something of a coming of age story, also focused on teenager's relationships with parents and friends.

This one follows Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri that I saw last weekend.

Also funny, also tragic. A story dealing with one woman's way of getting the attention of her local "officials" lol. Frances McDormand shines here.

This must be the new formula, humor plus tragedy plus gratuitous vulgarity. I am hardly a prudish person, but the trash talk subtracts from the value of potentially more clever or intelligent script writing.

Oh well. Perhaps younger audiences need this, maybe that's how they are now selling film.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:18 pm

Murder on the Orient Express (2017) with Kenneth Branagh as Poirot

Of course there is only one Poirot, David Suchet. Never-the-less, this production got the mustache correct, if one goes by Agatha Christie's writings.

The acting for the main characters was quite good. The plot is, of course, Dame Agatha's and is one of her best. The movie did not, thankfully, try to improve on it, other than perhaps, a dramatic soliloquy or two for the actors to show their chops above and beyond filling out the plot.

One quibble, and I guess a big one: This is one of those recent movies with sweeping, grandiose, majestic scenery and action sequences, all of which is CGI. The recent CGI technology, although a big advance over earlier technology, has a certain synthetic look that jumps out at me. I find it distracting. Perhaps I'm just being pedantic!

All told, it was an enjoyable movie that I recommend.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:43 pm

Destiny (1921, Germany, silent) Director: Fritz Lang. A tale of the supernatural, a young engaged couple meet Mr. Death. Recommended.

Last edited by Nicolas on Sun May 13, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
De gustibus non est disputandum.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:43 am

Saw I Tonya yesterday. Great acting throughout and an interesting approach to telling the story. I told a friend it was like Shameless X 10. Recommended.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:36 pm

I saw Tomb Raider last night; very formulaic and unremarkable. I don't recommend it.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:42 pm

The Death of Stalin. Biting satire. Recommended.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:06 pm

45 Years

A post-retirement couple are approaching a celebration for their
45th wedding anniversary. The husband receives startling news that
the body of a woman he had known (and loved) 50 years earlier had
been found. She had fallen down a crevice and disappeared on a
mountain climbing excursion in Switzerland.
The news creates an obsession in him to find old pictures, letters, and
other memorabilia related to this woman, much to the chagrin of his
wife. Reflective, pondering, and delicate film. Recommended.
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

winterfan

Post by winterfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:34 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:34 am
Ladybird

Funny in part, tragic in part, interesting in other parts. Something of a coming of age story, also focused on teenager's relationships with parents and friends.
I just saw this too. I really liked it. I totally identify with the mom.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:43 pm

jginseattle wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:30 pm
The Darkest Hour. I'd heard mixed things about this, but I enjoyed very much.
Watched The Darkest Hour this weekend.

The movie needed subtitles---I've been told that Churchill spoke English, but I can't confirm that to be true based solely from this movie. I also found the movie to be a tad boring and I'm glad that I didn't directly pay anything to see it.

Dead Man Walking

Post by Dead Man Walking » Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:29 am

DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:15 am
I watched Atomic Blonde, Charlize Theron is the main actress. I think I enjoyed it, especially when I get to watch it free in business/first class on Hawaiian Airlines.
Atomic Blonde is a great action film of the international intrigue genre. I have to admit that I have a crush on Charlize Theron, but it was a fun action pic and may be relevant considering the current "Russian situation."

DMW

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:41 am

Saw four movies this weekend, all from Mexico.

LOS ADIOSES (THE ETERNAL FEMININE)
EL VIGILANTE (THE NIGHT GUARD)
ME GUSTA PERO ME ASUSTA (I LIKE IT, BUT IT SCARES ME)
ODO LO DEMÁS (EVERYTHING ELSE)

I have to say that none of the films were very good. Me Gusta did have some good slapstick moments, however.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:15 am

Dead Man Walking wrote:
Tue Mar 27, 2018 12:29 am
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:15 am
I watched Atomic Blonde, Charlize Theron is the main actress. I think I enjoyed it, especially when I get to watch it free in business/first class on Hawaiian Airlines.
Atomic Blonde is a great action film of the international intrigue genre. I have to admit that I have a crush on Charlize Theron, but it was a fun action pic and may be relevant considering the current "Russian situation."

DMW
I really enjoyed it as well. It was a little more hardcore than expected. The song towards the beginning was a nice surprise: (hope it's ok to post a link to it (blue monday)) https://youtu.be/cYtGJGp-9hA The larger the subwoofer, the better. Though isn't that the case with most songs?

I also just watched the new Jumanji. I got many more laughs out of it compared to the original.

DelcoEE

Post by DelcoEE » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:16 am

I just watched Black Mass (movie about Whitey Bulger).
I would not consider it a great gangster movie like Goodfellas or the Godfather but it was a compelling movie since it was a case study in how truth is stranger than fiction. AND Johnny Depp (believe or not) was terrifying as stone cold psychopath Whitey Bulger.

Black Mass - Official Main Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_F-lVhSfx8

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:39 am

Saw "The Death of Stalin" earlier this week. There are a few slow spots and sometimes the near slapstick comedy doesn't quite work, but despite the flaws this is a really good movie. The combination of absurd comedy and deadly horrific actions keeps one totally engaged in this story. You don't know whether to keep laughing so hard or be horrified by what's going on. Similar to the feelings I got many years ago when first watching "Dr Strangelove". I particularly liked the touch of how they obtained the services of the conductor for the Mozart concert. :D

In today's Russia some things don't seem to have changed that much from the bygone period depicted in the film.
From the NYTimes.
In November, shortly after the film’s release date was announced, the Russian culture minister, Vladimir Medinsky, dismissed any suggestion that “The Death of Stalin” would be banned. “We have freedom of speech,” he told journalists at the time, according to the news agency RIA Novosti.

On Tuesday (in late January), two days before the movie’s official release in Russia, the Culture Ministry withdrew the film’s distribution license. The ministry’s lawyers recommended that the film be banned on grounds of “extremism,” citing its unfavorable portrayal of historical figures like Georgy Zhukov, the Red Army marshal lionized in Russia for his role in defeating Hitler’s forces. :wink:
Link to article - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/movi ... ussia.html

BobK :D :( :shock:
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Florida Project. It was as the old Hank Williams song, " A Picture from Life's Other Side ".
All the Best, | Joe

bearcub

Post by bearcub » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:44 pm

Altered State with William Hurt. Movie was a trip.LOL.

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:35 pm

The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling,

Parts 1 & 2.
bogleheads, don't knock state lotteries. They helped defund the mafia.

golfCaddy

Post by golfCaddy » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:40 pm

Darkest Hour and 12 Strong - both great, although Gary Oldman in Darkest Hour is phenomenal.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 am

DelcoEE wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:16 am
I just watched Black Mass (movie about Whitey Bulger).
I would not consider it a great gangster movie like Goodfellas or the Godfather but it was a compelling movie since it was a case study in how truth is stranger than fiction. AND Johnny Depp (believe or not) was terrifying as stone cold psychopath Whitey Bulger.

Black Mass - Official Main Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_F-lVhSfx8
I really enjoyed this movie, and I think it is my favorite Depp performance.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:32 am

bobcat2 wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:39 am
Saw "The Death of Stalin" earlier this week. There are a few slow spots and sometimes the near slapstick comedy doesn't quite work, but despite the flaws this is a really good movie. The combination of absurd comedy and deadly horrific actions keeps one totally engaged in this story. You don't know whether to keep laughing so hard or be horrified by what's going on. Similar to the feelings I got many years ago when first watching "Dr Strangelove". I particularly liked the touch of how they obtained the services of the conductor for the Mozart concert. :D

In today's Russia some things don't seem to have changed that much from the bygone period depicted in the film.
From the NYTimes.
In November, shortly after the film’s release date was announced, the Russian culture minister, Vladimir Medinsky, dismissed any suggestion that “The Death of Stalin” would be banned. “We have freedom of speech,” he told journalists at the time, according to the news agency RIA Novosti.

On Tuesday (in late January), two days before the movie’s official release in Russia, the Culture Ministry withdrew the film’s distribution license. The ministry’s lawyers recommended that the film be banned on grounds of “extremism,” citing its unfavorable portrayal of historical figures like Georgy Zhukov, the Red Army marshal lionized in Russia for his role in defeating Hitler’s forces. :wink:
Link to article - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/24/movi ... ussia.html

BobK :D :( :shock:
I saw this last night and loved it. It was one of the most original movies I have seen. I loved how all of these actors portraying Russians did it in their native accent, some sounding like New York mafia... with the hilarious current coarse language. It far exceeded my expectations.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:32 pm

We recently watched old classics.

Casablanca, with Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid, Claude Rains, Peter Lorre, and Sydney Greenstreet.

The Maltese Falcon, with Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Pete Lorre, and Sydney Greenstreet.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

galectin

Post by galectin » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:50 pm

I saw Ready Player One yesterday at the movie theater and enjoyed it. I am sure that I missed some of the eighties references, but got a number of them. I have read the book and liked it as well. My wife enjoyed the movie even without having read the book.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:10 pm

I'm torn on the Death of Stalin. Intellectually, I enjoyed it. It's clever. There were a couple of moments where I laughed out loud. I was never bored.

But at the end, I didn't come out feeling like "Man I really loved that movie" like I did when I came out of The Florida Project and The Shape of Water. Even a movie like the new Jumanji I enjoyed significantly more than the Death of Stalin.

I would recommend it to the right people. But if I were assigning a rating, it would be 2.5 out of 4 stars.

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:11 pm

An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth To Power, this is an update about the global climate issue by Al Gore, and the history of his work and world activities relating to such since the first movie titled, An Inconvenient Truth. I recommend as required watching, you will learn a lot.

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:29 pm

A thought provoking documentary: "All Wars are Bankers Wars"(2013). I'd suggest anyone interested in banking, currencies, economics, or the like view it. Rated 7+ by its viewers so far. https://topdocumentaryfilms.com/all-war ... kers-wars/
It's on amazonprime free!
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:02 pm

Finally got around to watching The Last Jedi (since it became rentable on iTunes this past week) and it was as disappointing as I expected. Granted, I'd disliked The Force Awakens and spoiled TLJ by watching the Red Letter Media Half in the Bag review of it long ago, but I tried to go into it with a relatively open mind. The How It Should Have Ended video for it was much better than the actual movie. "Finn and who?" :mrgreen:

skepticalobserver

Post by skepticalobserver » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:45 pm

Watched "The Dinner" the other night (on Netflix). Confused and dull. Don't waste your time. Hard to believe Richard Gere got involved in the project.
Looking forward to "The China Hustle," a documentary available on Comcast ( https://www.thechinahustlefilm.com/), reverse mergers, etc.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:34 pm

"The Breadwinner". Afghanistan Animation. Very Engrossing.
All the Best, | Joe

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:02 am

"Unsane", in the theater. Excellent drama inside a mental institution, with several twists. This patient gives it 5 stars.

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:30 am

We just saw The Death of Stalin. It didn't live up to the reviews calling it a great comedy. There were some very funny moments. However, the cesspool made up of Stalin's closest allies was too disgusting. Krushchev seemed more civilized than I recall from the newspapers back in the 1950s, but I was only a child who had to periodically tolerate drills where we sat in the hallway as if to simulate a nuclear attack response. Just how helpful sitting in the hallway would be escaped me. DW recalls seeing posters all over the Metro of Krushchev saying, "We will bury you."

Apparently, Stalin is still considered by some Russians to be a hero. I recently read. Martin Cruz Smith's book Stalin's Ghost .

Still I would give the film 4/5 stars.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 am

htdrag11 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm
Last Flag Flying, a dramedy by Carell, Cranston and Fishburne from Amazon.

I enjoyed Steve Carrell as an actor and have not been disappointed. Politically it might not be everyone's cup of tea. As aside, the human drama and tragedy were handled rather delicately about the death of a son in the Iraq War, uniting 3 old Vietnam war buddies and their past tribulation.

It's kind of long but please watch the ending. The young guy who played the son's war buddy also did a splendid job. Cicely Tyson appeared for about 5 minutes but had an impact on the movie. It was a bittersweet moment to see how Cranston character finally showed his human side and transformed onward.

7 out of 10.
As a result of your post I watched the movie and I'm glad that I did.

The movie meanders a bit, but has some pretty humorous moments and it made me think, which I appreciated.

Thanks for mentioning the movie.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:37 am

Random Poster wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:19 am
htdrag11 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:52 pm
Last Flag Flying, a dramedy by Carell, Cranston and Fishburne from Amazon.

I enjoyed Steve Carrell as an actor and have not been disappointed. Politically it might not be everyone's cup of tea. As aside, the human drama and tragedy were handled rather delicately about the death of a son in the Iraq War, uniting 3 old Vietnam war buddies and their past tribulation.

It's kind of long but please watch the ending. The young guy who played the son's war buddy also did a splendid job. Cicely Tyson appeared for about 5 minutes but had an impact on the movie. It was a bittersweet moment to see how Cranston character finally showed his human side and transformed onward.

7 out of 10.
As a result of your post I watched the movie and I'm glad that I did.

The movie meanders a bit, but has some pretty humorous moments and it made me think, which I appreciated.
I saw it over the weekend. Thought it was ok, but nowhere near great.

The performances of the three main characters, but especially Bryan Cranston's, struck me as phony. It never seemed real to me. (I do think Cranston is a good actor. He was spectacular in Breaking Bad.)

In fact I remember having the distinct feeling that Cranston was doing a pale imitation of Jack Nicholson in the classic 1970s movie The Last Detail. I also noticed that the two movies shared a similar plot structure--three military guys on a road trip.

So I was shocked and amazed when I read reviews afterwards and learned that LFF was based on a novel by the same author who wrote TLD. Not only that, the novel was intended as a sequel to TLD, and I believe that the Cranston character, in the novel, was the same character played by Nicholson in TLD!

If you haven't seen The Last Detail, it's well worth checking out.

SGM

Post by SGM » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:23 pm

We dug out from an April snow and went to see Leisure Seekers. Good acting and no surprises. It hits a little close to home after losing elderly parents who needed a lot of care and were a constant worry.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:54 pm

"Shattered Glass", with Hayden Christensen. Tomatometer 91% critics, 79% audience.

In a 2003 film based on a true story, Christensen plays a popular young reporter for The New Republic magazine, and is eventually discovered to have fabricated the majority of his articles.

I'm not a big fan of Christensen's acting chops, but the story and characters keep one's attention well enough. It's worth a watch if not much else is worth watching.

anoop

Post by anoop » Fri Apr 06, 2018 1:50 am

Full Disclosure -- a free < 20 min chick flick which I think everyone should watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFXKcNMCRTM

(I saw it a few months ago.)