What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jrtexas

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jrtexas »

bertilak wrote:OK, not a movie but a 13-episode British TV comedy: detectorists. (Lowercase is how they put it in the opening credits.)

A detectorist is someone who looks for lost treasures and/or archeological artifacts with a metal detector. The show centers around two friends (Andy and Lance) who are members of a small detectorist club.

This is the most gentile TV show (excepting Mr. Rogers!) I remember seeing. Try watching it right after something like Hawaii Five-O!

Andy is played by a well-known English actor, Mackenzie Crook who also writes and directs. You may know Crook from the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Game of Thrones and The Office (British version).

Lance is played by Toby Jones, another well-known English actor. He has been in The Hunger Games, Captain America, and Doctor Who, among others.

Believe it or not, Diana Rigg has a small part!

After the first episode I felt I'd seen enough, but something drew me back to it and now I love it. I'm up to episode 9 -- 4 more to go.

I say watch at least the first two episodes. You might get hooked.

It is available on Netflix.
Great series. Most Brit tv shows are, but this is really unique.
jrtexas

Post by jrtexas »

Logan. I'm not an X-men guy, but this was good. Also saw Hacksaw Ridge. This was the only nominated movie I had not seen. For some reason, Mel Gibson maybe, SAG did not send this out as a screener to view. This was by far the best of the nominated movies. Andrew Garfield deserved best actor. Casey Affleck just played himself. Me and him are from Boston,he was playing himself in his earlier years. Some reason Hollywood has a thing for the Afflecks. Brother Ben is not that nice of a guy. Besides that I got a Kong screening next week. will let ya know.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Went to watch Fences when it first came out [not my idea]. Painful. Did my best to keep at least one eye open for the duration of the movie. Thanks for reading ~cfs~
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

Thrifty Femme wrote:Get Out, very deep. I need to see it again.
+1 Great plot. Excellent acting. Anyone reading this that want to see the movie.. don't watch the trailer. Gives away too much.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Prometheus. I am a huge Alien and Aliens fan. I am looking forward to Alien:Covenant in May.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || VTI/VXUS/AOR
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I watched an Israeli film, Cupcakes. It is directed by Eytan Fox and stars Dana Ivgy (Zero Motivation), Kern Berger, Yael Bar-zohar, Anat Waxman, Ofer Schecter, and Efrat Dor.

Six diverse best friends gather to watch the w UniverSong competition. Appalled by the Israeli entry, they decide to create their own and record it on a mobile phone. Unbeknownst to them, their performance is seen by the judges and selected as the entry for next year's competition.

Not bad.
Gordon
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have been watching "Six" on History channel. This is a new television series about U.S. Navy Seal Team Six.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The Americans started up again on FX!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Sammismom

Post by Sammismom »

bertilak wrote:OK, not a movie but a 13-episode British TV comedy: detectorists. (Lowercase is how they put it in the opening credits.)

A detectorist is someone who looks for lost treasures and/or archeological artifacts with a metal detector. The show centers around two friends (Andy and Lance) who are members of a small detectorist club.

This is the most gentile TV show (excepting Mr. Rogers!) I remember seeing. Try watching it right after something like Hawaii Five-O!

Andy is played by a well-known English actor, Mackenzie Crook who also writes and directs. You may know Crook from the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Game of Thrones and The Office (British version).

Lance is played by Toby Jones, another well-known English actor. He has been in The Hunger Games, Captain America, and Doctor Who, among others.

After the first episode I felt I'd seen enough, but something drew me back to it and now I love it. I'm up to episode 9 -- 4 more to go.

Thx, bertilak! Really enjoying this. In addition to the humor and the kind treatment of the characters, there are some lovely views of the English countryside.

:happy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

"Hidden Figures." Excellent, excellent, excellent.

However, after you watch it, do read the Wikipedia summary of Departures from the story in the book ("John Glenn, who was much older than depicted at the time of launch, did ask specifically for Johnson to verify the IBM calculations, although she had several days before the launch date to complete the process.")

It's kind of a thrill for me to watch any movies set in the 1950s and 1960s. I don't know how they do it, I suspect some of it is being able to use CGI, but the period detail is so spot-on that it feels like time travel.

I was a little unsatisfied that (of course) none of the technical detail on the calculations themselves is convincing, and I am left in the dark as to the exact nature of what Katherine Johnson really did... I assume that the new "mathematics" they kept referring to meant orbital computational procedures and numerical analysis. The movie suggests that she was actually close to being a calculating prodigy, which I suspect is mixing up the idea of "calculating orbits" by designing and implementing algorithms with "calculating orbits" in the sense of personally performing arithmetic on a chalkboard.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Sammismom wrote:Thx, bertilak! Really enjoying this. In addition to the humor and the kind treatment of the characters, there are some lovely views of the English countryside.

Have you seen Paul and Art yet? That's how they are identified in the credits. We immediately recognized them before Andy (I think it was) first mentioned it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
market timer

Post by market timer »

The Handmaiden. A Korean film from the director of Oldboy, one of my favorite films of all time. This is so far my favorite film from 2016. It's an erotic psychological thriller set during the Japanese occupation of Korea.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I have recently seen

Get Out and Captain Fantastic

Both were 5 stars. I highly recommend them both!!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

market timer wrote:Saw Manchester by the Sea. Didn't really do much for me. Kind of tired of the theme of working class self-destruction.
Ditto your overdose on the theme of working class self-destruction.

It's too much like recent books that try to elicit sympathy for losers whose lack of any sense of personal responsibility wreaks havoc on their loved ones and on society generally. I'm thinking of Hillbilly Elegy, for example. I can't think of a movie like Manchester, but set in rural Appalachia.
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

:happy thanks, nisi, plan to see Hidden Figures soon.
Saw A United Kingdom, thought it excellent!
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

LadyGeek wrote:Lucky Number Slevin, on Netflix. This movie was reviewed as a poor attempted copy of Pulp Fiction. While I can see the similarities in the overall approach, it's very different. The plot is interesting and has some clever twists. There was even some humor at times.

Good acting can make up for a lot of deficiencies. Who's in it? Bruce Willis, Marvin Freeman, Sir Ben Kingsley, and Lucy Liu. I liked it.
Yes, that's a good movie. Try "Wicker Park" = same director and lead actor
Sammismom

Post by Sammismom »

bertilak wrote:
Sammismom wrote:Thx, bertilak! Really enjoying this. In addition to the humor and the kind treatment of the characters, there are some lovely views of the English countryside.

Have you seen Paul and Art yet? That's how they are identified in the credits. We immediately recognized them before Andy (I think it was) first mentioned it.

Oh yes - gave me quite a laugh. You were quicker than I was in recognizing - I got caught up in wondering what was up with that wig on Art's head.
jadestruck

Post by jadestruck »

MrNewEngland wrote:
jadestruck wrote:John Wick 2.
Quite a first post, Hemingway. I look forward to your wit and prose going forward.
Brevity is my forte. But looking forward to more posts as I gather my wits and wisdom form all of you.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

My wife and I both loved it. Me especially, as I've been a detectorist myself. There may be a third season, we will see.
http://renewcanceltv.com/detectorists-s ... ming-back/
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Logan was a bit violent (of course) but interesting. Just saw Kong in Skull Island. It was well done, and again a bit violent (H is choosing these movies). I really enjoyed Hidden Figures with one of my best friends and felt it was extremely well acted and gave a flavor of the time period; we both loved it.

I hope to see Captain Fantastic on the airplane, as that's where I watch a lot of movies that are no longer in theaters near us. I also really enjoyed Florence Foster Jenkins. I think Merle Streep is an amazing actress and deserves every bit of praise she's received and more. Star Wars was OK but I liked the prior episode better--I'm more a fan of happy.

Oh yes, Monument Men was an excellent movie as well, especially since it was based on true events. The actor who was accused of being a spy was very engaging. I can see why he was nominated for an acting award. (Saw this on the airplane.)
Last edited by HIinvestor on Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

sperry8 wrote:I just finished watching Sully. Amazing real life story... but I'd give the movie just a B- or C+. Hanks acting was superior as usual however. His on screen wifes acting I could do without.
I just saw the film and I agree completely with this review. I liked the crash scenes best.
"Grey Goose with a splash of water" as a Sully cocktail? That was good.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Nicolas wrote:My wife and I both loved it. Me especially, as I've been a detectorist myself. There may be a third season, we will see.
http://renewcanceltv.com/detectorists-s ... ming-back/
Well, I would welcome it!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Tonight, I watched Magnus on Netflix.

Born in 1990, Norwegian chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen becomes a grandmaster at age 13 and world champion in 2013.

This is pretty good, though I think if you are into chess, which I'm not, this would be more interesting.
Gordon
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

I've seen all the 2016 Oscar Best Picture Nominees.

Here's how I rate them.

Arrival - 9.25
Moonlight - 9
Manchester by the Sea - 9
La La Land - 8.75
Hidden Figures - 8.5
Fences - 8
Lion - 7.5
Hell or High Water - 6.75
Hacksaw Ridge - 6.5

The most surprising thing was Amy Adams not getting nominated for Best Actress. She had a superb performance in Arrival.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

[quote="LazyNihilist"]I've seen all the 2016 Oscar Best Picture Nominees.

Here's how I rate them.

Arrival - 9.25
Moonlight - 9
Manchester by the Sea - 9
La La Land - 8.75
Hidden Figures - 8.5
Fences - 8
Lion - 7.5
Hell or High Water - 6.75
Hacksaw Ridge - 6.5

I've seen your nos. 1, 3, 4, and 5. I'd stay with Arrival at #1, then put Hidden Figures at #2, with La La Land at dead last and Manchester just above it.

Different strokes, etc. Right?
nymeria.stark

Post by nymeria.stark »

nisiprius wrote:I was a little unsatisfied that (of course) none of the technical detail on the calculations themselves is convincing, and I am left in the dark as to the exact nature of what Katherine Johnson really did... I assume that the new "mathematics" they kept referring to meant orbital computational procedures and numerical analysis.
+1

I'm not a math geek, but I was frustrated by the vague allusions to "math that doesn't exist yet." WHAT math? WHAT DID SHE DO? WHAT WAS INVENTED?

Despite that, very cool story. Terrifying watching John Glenn go up in what seemed to be the most expensive tin can ever engineered. :P
Just a girl, standing in front of her finances, asking them to make more sense.
eldinerocheapo

Post by eldinerocheapo »

We tape movies on DVR late at night since neither of us can stay awake past 11pm these days. Well, we taped one called "Walk of Shame" with Elizabeth Banks, and it was hysterically funny. We roared with laughter throughout the movie and were amazed it didn't get the same box office clout that Adam Sandler and Melissa McCarthy get. Tape it or rent it, you will enjoy it.

Another unheralded classic is "Down with Love" with Ewan McGregor and Rene' Zellweger. It's a comedy set in the early sixties that really nails the Mad Men vibe that followed a few years later along with the battle of the sexes. Some of the scenes had me doubled over with laughter and the wingman/sidekick, David Hyde-Pierce just about stole the show.

I don't watch too many downer movies as I want to escape reality, not pay to see it.
"Dream, Dare, Do."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

gkaplan wrote:Tonight, I watched Magnus on Netflix.

Born in 1990, Norwegian chess prodigy Magnus Carlsen becomes a grandmaster at age 13 and world champion in 2013.

This is pretty good, though I think if you are into chess, which I'm not, this would be more interesting.
Good movie, watched it tonight. I'm a chessplayer, though not a good one. I enjoyed it, thanks for the tip. I'm using the app "Magnus Trainer" to improve my game.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

Aim High in Creation (2013) Australia. Environmental activists travel to North Korea to learn the art of propaganda filmmaking according to the tenets of Dear Leader Kim Jong-il. Mildly interesting.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

A movie I recently watched was Demolition Man (1993).
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Big Sleep, with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall. Directed by Howard Hawks.

Philip Marlow rescues damsels in distress, in a wonderful classic film noir mystery/thriller.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 »

Nicolas wrote:
gkaplan wrote:Tonight, I watched Magnus on Netflix.

Good movie, watched it tonight. I'm a chessplayer, though not a good one. I enjoyed it, thanks for the tip. I'm using the app "Magnus Trainer" to improve my game.
I'm not even into chess and found Magnus riveting for a variety of reasons. From a parental perspective, I thought Magnus was fortunate to have parents who recognized that their loner son, who was becoming isolated from his peers, could gain great benefits from his talent for chess.

It was also interesting to see how he handled defeat and his emotional challenges.

I was in awe of his ability to play and win simultaneous games and keep track of how the pieces were arranged on each board...all In his head.
travellight

Post by travellight »

jrtexas wrote:Logan. I'm not an X-men guy, but this was good. Also saw Hacksaw Ridge. This was the only nominated movie I had not seen. For some reason, Mel Gibson maybe, SAG did not send this out as a screener to view. This was by far the best of the nominated movies. Andrew Garfield deserved best actor. Casey Affleck just played himself. Me and him are from Boston,he was playing himself in his earlier years. Some reason Hollywood has a thing for the Afflecks. Brother Ben is not that nice of a guy. Besides that I got a Kong screening next week. will let ya know.
I really liked Hacksaw ridge as well. It is amazing that it is a true story. I love when a movie intrigues me to research the story further on my own.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

travellight wrote:
jrtexas wrote:Logan. I'm not an X-men guy, but this was good. Also saw Hacksaw Ridge. This was the only nominated movie I had not seen. For some reason, Mel Gibson maybe, SAG did not send this out as a screener to view. This was by far the best of the nominated movies. Andrew Garfield deserved best actor. Casey Affleck just played himself. Me and him are from Boston,he was playing himself in his earlier years. Some reason Hollywood has a thing for the Afflecks. Brother Ben is not that nice of a guy. Besides that I got a Kong screening next week. will let ya know.
I really liked Hacksaw ridge as well. It is amazing that it is a true story. I love when a movie intrigues me to research the story further on my own.
We really liked Hacksaw Ridge too. Quite the true story.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Carl53 wrote:
travellight wrote:
We really liked Hacksaw Ridge too. Quite the true story.
I saw one of the producers of Hacksaw Ridge at Sundance the day he got his Oscar nomination. I was watching another movie he produced with Jack Black called The Polka King. It was interesting to learn what a movie nerd he is. He watches 5 movies a day at the Sundance film festival and in his normal life, watches a movie every day.
sox2017

Post by sox2017 »

Just watched the OJ Simpson documentary on ESPN....excellent
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Just watched "The Verdict" again, with Paul Newman and Charlotte Rampling.

Somehow it captures us each time we see it.

"A washed-up, ambulance-chasing attorney gets a chance at redemption when his friend tosses him an open-and-shut medical malpractice case."
[Or almost...]

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, on Netflix, I finished watching Season One of Hostages. This was an Israeli series. Very suspenseful and well acted. I'm looking forward to the second season.
Gordon
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Gantz: 0, on Netflix. A Japanese anime (manga) film with English available. The CGI quality was excellent. This is the classic "monsters running amok" plot. The dialog was trite and predictable, but I liked the creativity of the monsters.

If you like anime or follow the Gantz series, it might be worth a try. Otherwise, meh.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Nothing Sacred, with Carole Lombard and Fredric March.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Passengers
My expectations were low, but decided to give it a try. It exceeded my expectations, but was slow in some places. My wife is really into
sci fi / space so she liked it also. Considering what is on tv these days, it was pretty good, and I would do it over.
Besides Jennifer Lawrence makes it easy to watch.
Dan999
Dan999
MP173

Post by MP173 »

"Billions" on Showtime. We binged watched 7 episodes of Season 1 over the weekend.

Great show on Hedge Funds and US Attorney and the chess game played.

Ed
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

MrNewEngland wrote:
abuss368 wrote:"London Has Fallen" on Netflix. I enjoyed the film.
It was a typical action film, but there were a few Triumph Street Triples in it so there were a few bonus points awarded.
London has Fallen, on Netflix. If you like lots of things blowing up and lots of action, this film is for you. The plot was a stretch, but it kept me somewhat interested.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

LadyGeek wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:
abuss368 wrote:"London Has Fallen" on Netflix. I enjoyed the film.
It was a typical action film, but there were a few Triumph Street Triples in it so there were a few bonus points awarded.
London has Fallen, on Netflix. If you like lots of things blowing up and lots of action, this film is for you. The plot was a stretch, but it kept me somewhat interested.
Plus the Triumph Street Triples were cool...
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

HIinvestor wrote:I hope to see Captain Fantastic on the airplane, as that's where I watch a lot of movies that are no longer in theaters near us.
Heh, it might be cheaper to rent movies from Netflix or RedBox instead of buying plane tickets to see movies you missed in theaters... :)
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

HomerJ wrote:
HIinvestor wrote:I hope to see Captain Fantastic on the airplane, as that's where I watch a lot of movies that are no longer in theaters near us.
Heh, it might be cheaper to rent movies from Netflix or RedBox instead of buying plane tickets to see movies you missed in theaters... :)
Netflix and Amazon allow for downloading of content for offline viewing. I believe Capt Fantastic is available for free on Amazon Video for prime subscribers and can be downloaded.
Wiki
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Tonight, I watched Sweet Dreams, the Patsy Cline bio-pic, directed by Karel Reisz, and starring Jessica Lange, Ed Harris, Ann Wedgeworth, David Clennon.

I've always liked Patsy Cline, going back the sixties, but I never got around to seeing this film made in the eighties. I really liked this film, and Jessica Lange is great in it. I do have several misgivings, however.

1. Ed Harris and Jessica Lange have zero chemistry, at least I thought so.

2. The film has several historical inaccuracies, such as the 1961 car crash that nearly cost Patsy Cline her life and the depiction of the 1963 plane crash that killed her.
Gordon
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I watched Denial, directed by Mick Jackson and starring Rachael Weisz, Tom Wilkinson, and Timothy Spall.

When Deborah Lipstadt spoke out against Holocaust denier David Irving over his falsification of history, she discovered that the stakes are higher than ever in the battle for historical truth. Faced with a libel lawsuit in British court, Lipstadt and her attorney have the heavy burden of proving that the Holocaust actually happened, as opposed to the United States where it is up to the person "libeled" his or her case.

I read the Lipstadt book when it first came out and liked it. I had my doubts how well the book could be adapted to the screen, but this movie did a very good job. Rachael Weisz, in particular, is superb.
Gordon
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

Singing in the Rain. The dance scenes were amazing and quite athletic.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Thrifty Femme wrote:Singing in the Rain. The dance scenes were amazing and quite athletic.
That's one my favorite old movies, it's the best movie musical ever in my ignorant opinion. I could do without many of the dance scenes near the end.