What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bustoff

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Bustoff »

The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel

Thought the first one was better.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Brideshead Revisited
and
Becoming Jane.

Both are wonderful British films with intelligent plots, good language, and leaving you with something to think about.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Gone in 60 Seconds" with Nick Cage on Netflix.
Last edited by abuss368 on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

"Out of the Furnace" with Christian Bale on Netflix.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

"The Hunter" with Willem Dafoe on Netflix.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I watched two on a long flight yesterday. The Intern with Robert DeNiro and Ann Hathaway. Harmless even cute first half. Inane out of character 2nd half.

The other was the Meryll Streep (with Rick Springfield and Meryll's real life daughter) movie Ricki and the Flash. I really liked it, especially the music. What a range of roles Streep has done.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads,

I just watched a new preview for the upcoming Independence Day 2!!!

Wow!!!
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We watched "The Intern" with Robert De Niro and really enjoyed the film!
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

Billions A new series on AMZN on Wall Street/Hedge funds/ SEC / govt. intermingling drama with many familiar faces.
amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice »

The Hateful Eight (2015) Samuel L. Jackson, Tim Roth, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Kurt Russell. Tarantino joint about a few souls stuck together in a cabin in the mid 1800's in Wyoming during a blizzard. It's Tarantino, so go into it expecting Tarantino-esque film devices and not to mention, gore. I felt it was a weak film due to some of Tarantino's playful switcheroos he's known for, at least weaker than Django or IB. 3.5/5 for the story and dialogue.

Four Falls of Buffalo (2015) ESPN 30 for 30 documentary. This piece is about the early 90's Buffalo Bills and their ascension to the top of the mountain only to be knocked off four times in a row, something I can't believe they went through. I love football and remember these Bills teams with vivid clarity. 4.5/5

Making a Murderer (2015) Netflix original. Serial documentary about Steven Avery of Wisconsin, his eighteen conviction for rape for which he was exonerated in 2003, and the 2005 murder of a woman whose bones were found in a fire pit on his property for which he was sentenced to life in prison. If you've been online at all in the last couple weeks, you're at least aware of this exists. I watched all ten episodes in two days and restarted it over the weekend. I'm not so sure he's innocent, but that's for a different forum. It's definitely engaging and suspenseful and may make you go crazy trying to figure out if he's been set up or not. 4.5/5
Onion

Post by Onion »

The Martian

With a few elements that were a bit far-fetched, I enjoyed it.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Like most of the rest of the native population, I've now seen "Star Wars" -- a kind of mirror image of the 1977 original, and I can see why it's a hit. Disney tub-thumped it relentlessly, and it's well made, from script to released images.

But it's like cheese macaroni: really pleasant or even semi-gripping going down; at the end, essentially empty calories.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

steve roy wrote:Like most of the rest of the native population, I've now seen "Star Wars" -- a kind of mirror image of the 1977 original, and I can see why it's a hit. Disney tub-thumped it relentlessly, and it's well made, from script to released images.

But it's like cheese macaroni: really pleasant or even semi-gripping going down; at the end, essentially empty calories.
It will be the next one I see, but apparently George Lucas wasn't pleased with the retro aspect of the movie and spoke of Disney as white slavers. He later clarified ...

http://moviepilot.com/posts/3713110
telemark

Post by telemark »

steve roy wrote:Like most of the rest of the native population, I've now seen "Star Wars" -- a kind of mirror image of the 1977 original, and I can see why it's a hit. Disney tub-thumped it relentlessly, and it's well made, from script to released images.

This is the sequel I've been looking for. And boy was it a long wait...
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Unlike others, I liked "The Hateful 8". I suppose it helps to be a Tarantino fan, but the film is twisted enough to satisfy the most jaded viewer. Some mention the 15 minute intermission, but the theater I watched it at yesterday in 70mm had no intermission, even through "part 4" I believe mentioned "fifteen minutes ago". Perhaps they are responding to complaints about an unnecessary pause.

If you can get past the gore and the language it's a fairly good laugh in my opinion, but then again my wife and I also like "The Walking Dead" and loved "Breaking Bad". Some might gasp at the notion of "The Hateful 8" being a comedy, but it has its moments.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

the martian. heckuva lot better than interstellar.

not really a sci-fy fan so i didn't read the book.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

Star Wars tFA... since no one warned me; that movie is some derivative nonsense.

Spoilers

I can't believe how much I didn't like it. Seriously another death star? Seriously another trench run?!? I will say the beginning was decent after that it fell apart pretty quick.

JJ Abrams is now on my shit list. He mucked up Star Trek too... so disappointing.

Martian was good. The Water Diviner was better than I was expecting.
telemark

Post by telemark »

clutchied wrote:Star Wars tFA... since no one warned me; that movie is some derivative nonsense.
It's true. They even use the same music. My favorite movie reviewer, Joe Bob Briggs, used to say that the right way to make a sequel is just to make the exact same movie all over again, and that's pretty much what they did.

At least this time around we don't have to listen to Luke whining all the time.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

truenorth418 wrote:Just watched my favorite Christmas movie: Die Hard.
That would be Terminator for me, haha.
Get rich or die tryin'
Rotsevni

Post by Rotsevni »

The ridicilous 6

Great comedy adventure movie!!
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

Here's a vote for Ex Machina, even though I thought it was disturbing at the end. The older I get, the less I enjoy entertainment that's disturbing.

There were elements of A.I., Frankenstein, and even Stepford Wives. Maybe. A friend says I take things too seriously.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Here are my 2015 movie recommendations. (And I certainly haven't seen everything).

Amy.
What We Do In The Shadows.
Ex Machina.
Mad Max: Fury Road.
Inside Out.
Sicario.
The Big Short.
Bridge of Spies.
Spotlight.

I also liked...

Star Wars.
Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation.
Spectre.
It Follows.

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Star Wars.
A fool and his money are good for business.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

The Green Inferno by Eli Roth. If you are a fan of horror films like I am, this is a flesh eating good time.

New York college student Justine (Lorenza Izzo), a lawyer's daughter, meets a student activist named Alejandro (Ariel Levy) when he goes on a hunger strike on behalf of underpaid janitors. Smitten, Justine agrees to help Alejandro undertake his next project: to save the Amazon. She soon learns to regret her decision when their plane crashes in the Peruvian jungle and she and the rest of their group are taken captive by a tribe of hungry cannibals
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

denismurf wrote:Here's a vote for Ex Machina, even though I thought it was disturbing at the end. The older I get, the less I enjoy entertainment that's disturbing.

There were elements of A.I., Frankenstein, and even Stepford Wives. Maybe. A friend says I take things too seriously.
I really enjoyed this one too. I think you hit it right on the head with your description. I loved the disturbing ending.
Posted by amateurnovice
Making a Murderer (2015) Netflix original. Serial documentary about Steven Avery of Wisconsin, his eighteen conviction for rape for which he was exonerated in 2003, and the 2005 murder of a woman whose bones were found in a fire pit on his property for which he was sentenced to life in prison. If you've been online at all in the last couple weeks, you're at least aware of this exists. I watched all ten episodes in two days and restarted it over the weekend. I'm not so sure he's innocent, but that's for a different forum. It's definitely engaging and suspenseful and may make you go crazy trying to figure out if he's been set up or not. 4.5/5
I haven't binge watched anything since Breaking Bad, but this one I watched in one day. Everything I planed for that day was canceled. On a scale of 1 to 5, this one gets a 5. When it was over, I wanted more so I went on the internet to see more about the case, and according to information I found, the documentary leaves a lot of damming evidence out. This made me feel better, because after the doc., I felt they were innocent, but now, I'm pretty sure they are guilty. That gut wrenching feeling of seeing an innocent man and child spend the rest of their life behind bars was too much to digest, but like I said, search the net and a lot more info can be found, especially about Steven Avery.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

It's Such a Beautiful Day

It's a short, animated film on Netflix. I hesitate to recommend it. Probably not a good idea if you're not in a good place. Perhaps too absurd if you're not in a bad one.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
Matt48Ritchie

Post by Matt48Ritchie »

Posted by amateurnovice
I haven't binge watched anything since Breaking Bad, but this one I watched in one day. Everything I planed for that day was canceled. On a scale of 1 to 5, this one gets a 5. When it was over, I wanted more so I went on the internet to see more about the case, and according to information I found, the documentary leaves a lot of damming evidence out. This made me feel better, because after the doc., I felt they were innocent, but now, I'm pretty sure they are guilty. That gut wrenching feeling of seeing an innocent man and child spend the rest of their life behind bars was too much to digest, but like I said, search the net and a lot more info can be found, especially about Steven Avery.[/quote]

I would double check the evidence that was left out. If you look into it a bit more I think there is every reason to believe they should have been acquitted, guilty or not. Especially Brendan. But if you're interested we can PM about it so the thread isn't taken over by a debate about it.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

"The Big Short"
Expected better. Didn't like it at all.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

"Nebraska" on Amazon Prime. Thought it was very well done, good story and loved the black and white. If it had been in color the mood would have been completely different.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Ant-Man. I liked it.

I also saw Lucy. Meh. If you're going to do the "brain" thing, Limitless was better.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Prison Break Season 2 on Netflix.
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

The Martian, great film.
A Walk in the Woods. Good movie for older people like me, but the language was a bit offensive for family viewing.
Like them both.
Dan999
Dan999
CoAndy

Post by CoAndy »

Let's see....

Star Wars: The Force Awakens. Really enjoyed it.
The Hateful 8 (Tarantino, you lowlife). The musical score was good and it was not without its moments but I spent time wondering why exactly I was sitting in the theatre.
Also watched The Purge. Entertaining but not great.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Last night, I watched Love Actually, directed by Richard Curtis and starring Hugh Grant, Liam Neeson, Colin Firth, Laura Linney, Emma Thompson,
Alan Rickman, Martine McCutcheon, Bill Nighy, and Rowan Atkinson. The movie follows the lives of eight very different couples in dealing with their love lives in various loosely interrelated tales all set during a frantic month before Christmas in London, England. This 2003 film has become my favorite holiday movie. Unfortunately, the hold I placed with MCL didn't come up until the first of the new year. (Bill Nighy is a scream in this picture.)
Gordon
cfs

Post by cfs »

Just back from watching:

The Revenant

With Leonardo DiCaprio. What can I say about this movie? Well, we just watched an "academy-award-performance" by Leonardo DiCaprio. Highly recommended, but this type of movie is not for everyone.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

ant-man.

didn't like it and have no intention of seeing the sequel that they set up at the end.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Two movies that were better in previous editions:

"The Big Short": Great book, disappointing movie.

"The Walk": Much preferred "Man on Wire."
cfs

Post by cfs »

cfs wrote:Just back from watching:

The Revenant

With Leonardo DiCaprio. What can I say about this movie? Well, we just watched an "academy-award-performance" by Leonardo DiCaprio. Highly recommended, but this type of movie is not for everyone.
Not a bad night for this movie at the Golden Globe Awards this evening, with a 3-for-3 score.

- Best Director of a Motion Picture (Alejandro González Iñárritu, The Revenant)
- Best Actor in a Drama Motion Picture (Leonardo DiCaprio, The Revenant)
- Best Drama Motion Picture (The Revenant)

There is no award for this one, but imho "the best speech of the night award" goes to: Leonardo DiCaprio

Thank you.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
SGM

Post by SGM »

Big Short I compared notes to the many conversations I had with a bank examiner about the pending meltdown before it happened.

Brooklyn
Bridge of Spies
These two are excellent.
I am coming to the theaters later these days to avoid the inane and incessant trailers.
d0gerz

Post by d0gerz »

Sisters starring Tina Fey and Amy Poehler
As expected this is laugh out loud funny. Most surprisingly funny is pro-wrestler John Cena. I didn't know who he was until I saw Trainwreck last year (another hilarious movie), only knew the wrestler by name. Watch if you are okay with spilling your drink out your nose.
WhizKid

Post by WhizKid »

"The Look of Silence" , the sequel to The Act of Killing.
Movie is about the tragic events which took place in Indonesia in 1965.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

"the forest" with my 20 y/o son who chose the movie.

i thot it was "meh" but since i don't like the genre thats not a terrible rating. my son enjoyed it, gave it 7/10.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

Spy, with Melissa McCarthy. Some funny lines but overall, kind of tedious.
telemark

Post by telemark »

Following up on Star Wars, I watched Kurosawa's "The Hidden Fortress", currently available as a $0.99 streaming rental from Amazon. This is set in medieval Japan and was made before I was born, so I'm at two cultural removes. The princess is apparently intended to be an extraordinary character and central to the story (her song at the end is what saves them all). I can see this intellectually, but emotionally it just doesn't quite work. Likewise, the two peasants are supposed to be amusing, but I mostly found them annoying.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

THE WAY -- a grieving father (Martin Sheen) decides to walk The Camino de Santiago pilgrimage. I really enjoyed the film.
It's currently running on the Showtime channel.

THE WAY, was filmed entirely in Spain and France along the actual Camino de Santiago. Aside from the main actors, those seen on-screen are real pilgrims from all over the world.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

"Joy", a shaggy dog story wherein spunky Jennifer Lawrence rises above cramped poverty and a dysfunctional extended family that echoes the one in " You Can't Take It With You" (Kaufman-Hart) to become queen of a wonder mop.. There are some plot turns that strain credulity (and I've no idea if they're true or a lazy plot device) but it's an enjoyable flick and the Russell stock company is strong.
Last edited by steve roy on Wed Jan 13, 2016 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Star Wars 7 = A +
Hateful 8 = C+
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
rixer

Post by rixer »

Star Wars
Antman
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The Revenant. It's striking. But it's not particularly good.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... ilder-west
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

jginseattle wrote:The Revenant. It's striking. But it's not particularly good.
Haven't seen it yet, but I understand it's basically an unofficial remake of Man in the Wilderness. Saw that one on TV several years ago.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.