What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
telemark

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by telemark »

Stonehearst Asylum, on Netflix. This came out in 2014 and somehow I missed it completely. It starts with the idea from an Edgar Allen Poe story and takes it in a longer and rather different direction. Excellent casting with Ben Kingsley as the standout.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I recently saw The Grand Seduction on Netflix, starring Brendan Gleeson and Taylor Kitsch. The movie is based on a 2003 French-Canadian film, Le Grande Séduction. I wanted to see this when it first came out last year, but it opened and closed in just one week.

The film is sort of like Doc Hollywood (the Michael J. Fox movie) transported to Newfoundland, but not nearly as good. It still had its moments, however.
Gordon
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Spy Game with Robert Redford and Brad Pitt. Tony Scott was involved with this excellent film.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Tony_L

Post by Tony_L »

Saw "The Imitation Game" today. Very, very interesting. I highly recommend it for all ages beyond 10 or 12.
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water.

I fell asleep.
duffman12

Post by duffman12 »

American Sniper, 10/10 would watch again.

Also, can't wait for Jurassic World to come out ! :D
"Greed may not be good, but it’s not so bad, either. People think greed is just for money and power. But everyone wants something they don’t have." | ChasingGains.org
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

Saw Foxcatcher yesterday. Just could not get into this story. I saw it because Steve Carrell was nominated for the best actor oscar. I don't see him getting the award for this.

Saw "A most violent year" last friday - this one I enjoyed. Jessica Chastain was very good as almost always. This movie wasn't nominated for any oscar, but it already has one great oscar - Oscar Isaac, as the lead.
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I took my youngest to see the new Sponge Bob movie in the early afternoon. In the evening, my wife and I saw Fury with Brad Pitt. I enjoyed it.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Went to see the disappointing Jupiter Ascending. Boy, did the Wachowskis let their fans down for this one. It is ok if you just want to disengage your brain completely, and just enjoy the special effects. It is fun watching Mila Kunis fall, only to be caught at the last second, but then you get to wacht Mila fall only to be caught at the last second, but boy, the part where Mila falls and is caught at the last second?> wow.
Mike
seeshells

Post by seeshells »

Money for Nothing, Inside the Federal Reserve: Netflix : just like the books I've read on this topic, biased, volatile and dramatized, its a "movie".
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Today's movie:

Deux Jours, Une Nuit (Two Days, One Night)

I did not find it as amazing as most of the reviewers did. It was a French film that moved very slowly.
meowcat

Post by meowcat »

thenextguy wrote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Spoiler alert!
I was gonna watch that tonight! :oops:
I know!! I was going to watch Titanic but somebody told me the ship sinks, is that true? :mrgreen:
What the bold print givith, the fine print taketh away. | -meowcat
singern

Post by singern »

"Chef"

I've seen it before I'll watch it again. Its a heartwarming story about redemption and food, lots of delicious food. The soundtrack is also on point, fun fact it was largely compiled by Robert Downey Jr. who has a small role in the movie and it close friends with director/star Jon Favreau.

If your having a bad day/trying to get hungry its a great move.
I haven't "needed the money" since I took Archie's milk money in the third grade.... but I like it - The Departed, 2006.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

"Killing Them Softly" on Netflix. Pretty intense with a lot of violence. First half was a bit slow but a good build up to the second part. The story isn't unpredictable. Title is apt ... very very apt. I thought Brad Pitt, Ray Liotta did a solid job. James Gandolfini part was different than his usual roles even if it was a typecast. Overall a pretty good movie and worth watching once if you're okay with violence/under-world kind of stuff.

On my list ...

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Fury
3. The Imitation Game
4. Birdman
5. Gone Girl
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
ELROY VERDE

Post by ELROY VERDE »

The Theory of Everything
Both leads, male and female, are worthy of Academy Award consideration.
Excellent story on the life of Stephen Hawking.
Although I don't see how he could continue to survive ALS unless there was an obvious misdiagnosis.
chaz

Post by chaz »

To Be Or Not To Be, a classic with Jack Benny and Carol Lombard.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

srt7 wrote:"Killing Them Softly" on Netflix. Pretty intense with a lot of violence. First half was a bit slow but a good build up to the second part. The story isn't unpredictable. Title is apt ... very very apt. I thought Brad Pitt, Ray Liotta did a solid job. James Gandolfini part was different than his usual roles even if it was a typecast. Overall a pretty good movie and worth watching once if you're okay with violence/under-world kind of stuff.

On my list ...

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Fury
3. The Imitation Game
4. Birdman
5. Gone Girl
I recently watched that movie and overall it was good.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Stonehearst Asylum :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Just saw Hachi: A Dog's Tale. Based on a true story from Japan about a very loyal Akita. If you're a crazy dog lover (like me) you will like it. You will also want an Akita puppy!
Altephor

Post by Altephor »

Just watched Birdman. Was not really into it. The plot is a bit all over the place I thought, and the ending a bit pretentious. But I do like Emma Stone, which is why I wanted to see it.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

Blood Ties by Sigmund Brouwer
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

The Imitation Game was not bad. Seeing it in a movie theater meant I couldn't fast forward through it, which I like to do if I'm watching DVDs, since it means you can skip all the boring parts to get to the conclusion.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

"Force Majuere" -- which I never heard of until watching the Golden Globe Awards where it was nominated for Best Foreign Language Film.
It did not win the Golden Globe. After seeing the film I understand why it didn't win.
AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ »

I DVRed Twelve O'Clock High shown on TCM earlier in the week and watched it last night. A 1949 movie about American pilots based in England in 1942. I've seen it a few times and still find it very interesting.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Scoped out The Kingsman today. IT was WONDERFUL. I can't give this enough praise. Note that it is heavy on the blood, (think Kill Bill etc.) but is filled with dark humor. Sam Jackson chews up the scenery, the plot is nonsensical, the sick joke at the End is groan worthy, but I can't wait to see it again. I loved the Church Scene, and the Fireworks scene, which means that my mind is truly warped and depraved. Think of it as if Quenton Tarantino and Terry Gilliam got together to make a Bond film.
Mike
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

Got to see The Kingsman today. FUN -- definitely worth the price of admission.
This will be the first of many, if it's taken up in the right spirit, as a new age 007.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.
Munir

Post by Munir »

"Still Alice". Highly recommend the film and Julienne Moore's performance.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Dracula Untold. If you like Dracula movies, this one has a different approach. It's rated PG-13 so you don't get overloaded on the intense stuff. I liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

This is where you leave me

Just not a very good film ...
Sportswhiz00

Post by Sportswhiz00 »

sans souliers wrote:Got to see The Kingsman today. FUN -- definitely worth the price of admission.
This will be the first of many, if it's taken up in the right spirit, as a new age 007.
My wife dragged me to this yesterday. It was the first time I walked into a movie without having seen a preview for it. I absolutely loved it. In addition to FUN, which I think is the perfect word, I would describe it as a light-hearted action movie with a ton of violence and a few appropriately timed bits of humor. Yes, there are contradictions in that description, but it is what it is.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Just caught "Millers Crossing" again. Forgot how good it was. The best of the Coen brothers and by far one of the best gangster movies ever. Excellent one liners, the killer says to Tom "how'd you get that fat lip?.....(response) its old but it flares up around morons"
poker27

Post by poker27 »

American Sniper - I haven't been to a theater in nearly a year, but went to one for it. Good/ great movie, I will see it again. Not sure I thought it was as good as some people said, but happy I went.

Gone Girl- Good movie. I personally thought it was a bit obvious what was happening, but all around enjoyed it.

John Wick - Ehhhh it was OK.

Mr. And Mrs.- found it on Netflix. First 30 minutes was worth watching, after that the movie dragged. I'd take my 90 minutes back.

House of Cards- Obviously not a movie, but just started watching it. A week in and I think I've seen nearly 20 episodes. First season was pretty darn good, IMO season 2 is off to a slow start. I never watch TV shows but have been glued to this one.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Saw Jersey Boys. Sad story with good songs.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
avenger

Post by avenger »

Edge of Tomorrow with Tom Cruise. Watched it in our mancave on the big screen TV - great effects and decent story.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
rokidtoo

Post by rokidtoo »

"Apocalypse Now Redux" for the umpteenth time.

For me, this movie captures the weirdness and contradictions of the Vietnam War and the culture shock felt by millions of Americans experiencing Southeast Asia for the first time.

The Plantation Scene, which did not appear in the original movie, provides a succinct history and justification, from the French perspective, for the First Indochina War. In contrast, the plantation owner, Hubert de Marais, declares in disgust that, because we are not fighting to hold a colony, "“You Americans fight for the biggest nothing in history,”. Somehow this scene, reminds me of the perspective and warnings uttered by the French Indochina War correspondent, Bernard Fall, prior to our "boots on the ground" involvement in Vietnam.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

Just saw American Sniper & Imitation Game - Both Excellent

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I also watched the new Harry Bosch TV series on Amazon Prime - Enjoyed it Very Much

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Tony_L wrote:Saw "The Imitation Game" today. Very, very interesting. I highly recommend it for all ages beyond 10 or 12.
+1 and ditto

Very much enjoyed it.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Dave55 wrote:I also watched the new Harry Bosch TV series on Amazon Prime - Enjoyed it Very Much

Dave
++2 I loved it and am resisting watching all the episodes straight through. The lead, Titus Welliver, does a heck of a job and his facial expressions tell a story all on their own.
Highly recommended and I hope they have multiple seasons which I will gladly pay for.
I read everything Michael Connelly wrote.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I watched "Nowhere Boy", which is a biopic about John Lennon. It's a very solid movie, and a must see if you are a Beatles fan. It's about the relationship between John andhis aunt (who raised him) and his mother. It also touches on the formation of the Beatles.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Kingsmen. Don't waste your time on this one.

A review...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/movie ... tered.html
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

jginseattle wrote:Kingsmen. Don't waste your time on this one.

A review...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/13/movie ... tered.html
I watched it on friday. I thought it was entertaining, though I didn't care for the most violent scene (you will know which one if you watch it).

I also rented a Blu-ray of Predestination - nice Scifi movie, but the logic of the story escapes me a little. Now I have to read the Heinlein novel.
One of the 4 subwoofers in my home theater blew up during that movie - the oldest 16 year old one. Don't know why. The amp was set at 25% volume like it's always been.

I also rented and watched - "No good deed". Good thriller.
spin_echo

Post by spin_echo »

NIghtcrawler -F-, blah -basically a character study of a sociopath. Watched 30 minutes and quit watching. I can't believe this was so highly rated on rottentomatoes.com. I feel duped.
Predestination - B+, great time travel mind bender
Guardians of the Galaxy - A, actually bought this one.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Just saw Birdman. This would be my choice for Best Picture. I'll probably see it in the theater again next week.
Dave C.

Post by Dave C. »

The "Homesmen". Likely in my TOP 2 movies for the year. Seriously. Hilary Swank"s best pperformance since "'Million Dollar Baby". Tommy Lee Jones (not always my favorite)....outstanding performance. Not to give anything away but my jaw dropped into my lap and my mind started working overtime when something happened about three quarters of the way through the film. No flying car crashes, no monsters, no fist fights on the wing of a 747 jetliner.....but as realistic a period-piece as "Deadwood", with serious character development throughout the movie. 8-)
Easy does it/Live & Let Live/One day at a time. Thanks Bill.
gl

Post by gl »

Inspired by a low-key Oscars celebration on tap for tonight, here are brief comments re: recent family dramas that I've enjoyed, in order:

Boyhood (wanted more from it, but the best I've seen, of the few Oscars movies I've viewed.)
Skeleton Twins (really surprised how much I enjoyed this movie! expected a screwball comedy, given the cast)
Certified Copy (good relationship drama, if you like mostly dialogue-- reminded me of before sunrise trilogy)
Force Majeure (interesting gender analysis, but also mostly dialogue. i expected more.)

Also, had a chance to see Hobbit: Battle of Five Armies. Love the genre, but hoped for more from this installment of the book. Still fun to see.
6miths

Post by 6miths »

I saw 'The Theory of Everything' on Friday night with DW and we both enjoyed it immensely. Not quite as good as 'The Imitation Game' but very well done.

On Saturday, saw 'Kingsmen' with DD and DS's x2. We all very much enjoyed it. Dr. No for the 21st century.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Tusk. A horror/thriller.

If you are looking for a "guy" movie, meaning a stupid plot and trite dialog, this is it. Don't blame me, my husband bought it. He liked it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
peppers

Post by peppers »

American Sniper
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Inside Job produced by the owner of the Philadelphia Eagles: Jeffery Lurie. Unbelievable documentary with Matt Damon on the financial crisis. It is presently playing on Crackle.