What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbk734

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by mbk734 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:21 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
mbk734 wrote:Foreign - Curse of the Flying Daggers - awesome cinematography

Which one of these did you see or both?

Curse of the Golden Flower; House of Flying Daggers (great cinematography - Yes).

Haha thanks. Both were very good. Very good director although tragic endings in many of his movies.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:03 pm

Just saw Jurassic World. I'm not into special effect movies and I despise super hero movies of all kinds. My wife and daughter love them, so I went with them. It wasn't my thing but the IMAX Screen and 3d made it kind of bearable.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:39 am

St Vincent with Bill Murray.
Good movie to rent on PPV.
Will never be a classic, but good evening entertainment.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:53 am

Recently watched Bronson (2008) starring Tom Hardy. He plays a psychotic criminal with a penchant for the theatrical that spends the majority of his life in solitary confinement for his heinous and often weird crimes. Hardy is fantastic, but the movie has a little thread of a plot so it's not something that most people will have the patience for.

Also watched Platoon again. It's probably my favorite war movie and possibly my favorite movie.

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:16 am

Just watched Wild Tales (Cuentos Salvajes is the title in the original Spanish). 6 vignettes regarding revenge of various sorts. Some are hilarious, some are sad, some are just gruesome .... a great great great time. One reviewer suggested that Tarantino needs to watch this movie in order to get some new ideas. Highly highly recommended.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:28 am

12:00 High on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:28 am

The latest season for "Orange in the New Black" has been released on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:42 am

abuss368 wrote:The latest season for "Orange in the New Black" has been released on Netflix.

And was devoured between Saturday and Sunday. :happy

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:03 pm

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
abuss368 wrote:The latest season for "Orange in the New Black" has been released on Netflix.

And was devoured between Saturday and Sunday. :happy

Hi TerryDMillerMBA,

Was it good?

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:58 am

Welcome to Me
Zany woman wins the lottery and buys her own talk show from
a cash strapped TV studio. Humorous, sad, unpredictable, and
unique.
Last edited by wilson08 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:59 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Was it good?

It was VERY good. It is very far from stale. You would think that there are only so many humorous and/or insightful things to explore season after season, but the writing is still hitting home runs. The expository flashbacks are becoming my favorite parts of the episodes.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:13 pm

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:21 pm

jginseattle wrote:Inside Out is flat out brilliant.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/19/movie ... versa.html

Glad to hear that and not surprised after reading the NYT review and watching the trailer. Will watch it soon. Haven't been this eager to watch a Pixar film since WALL-E and Up.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:00 am

Love and Mercy. It's the Brian Wilson/beach boys movie, starring John Cusack.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:57 am

Not exactly a movie, but the wife and I are watching Season 2 of House of Cards....pretty good stuff.

Ed

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Also not movies, but watched part of the new HBO series Ballers with Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock. It's a half hour show about a former football player turned financial advisor. I lasted about 10 minutes. It portrays the life of NFL athletes: women, parties, cars, money, etc. Oh and football?

I also watched part of HBO's The Brink with Tim Robbins and Jack Black. Also a half hour. It was OK, sort of a foul parody of Dr. Strangelove? I'll try another episode.

Also watched the first episode of the 2nd season of True Detective with Vince Vaughn, Colin Farrell,and Rachel McAdams. I enjoyed it; my wife did not. This season the story is in California. Lot's of characters and too soon to tell.

island

Post by island » Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:49 pm

Monuments Men. Meh, no comparison to the book.

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Inside Out. could/Should have been great. Far too dark for my taste.

cfs

Post by cfs » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:03 pm

This past weekend I took my family to watch Jurassic World. Was sold out, so we had to wait in line for the second round (this was the second time I had to wait in line to watch a movie, the first one was in the summer of 1993 for Jurassic Park). As far as Jurassic World, I took a nice nap, went to the restroom, came back and the movie was over. This was my third time at the movies this year and so far The Imitation Game is winning by a landslide (I will trade 5 CDs of Jurassic World for 1 CD of The Imitation Game).
~ Donating Member ~

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:19 pm

i thot jurassic world was entertaining. i could nitpick and say it was predictable and the role played by chris pratt didn't utililize his comedic talents but i won't. its a movie about dinosaurs. wasn't expecting a masterpiece. it entertained me for a couple hours and the a/c felt great. and my son paid. what more could one ask for?

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:30 pm

snyder66 wrote:Inside Out. could/Should have been great. Far too dark for my taste.

I'll be watching it soon, but am wondering what you mean by "too dark." I've been intrigued by whether 'movies can think' (as the NYT's A.O. Scott put it in his review of the film).
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:28 am

Jupiter Ascending 3D. Directed by the Wachowskis (of Matrix fame). This movie was made for 3-D, meaning that the special effects are a futile attempt to cover a weak plot. I don't have 3-D, so I watched it in 2-D. I don't think there would be much difference, as effects in either dimension get boring after a while. Meh.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:49 am

Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters. I watched this one because it disappears from Netflix in a few days, and it was better than I expected. I think it would have been better with a little less emphasis on all the action scenes. There's a decent story there, but it needs more room to breathe.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:46 pm

I saw A Royal Affair on Netflix last night, starring Alicia Vikander, Mads Mikkelsen, and Mikkel Følsgaard. This 2012 historical drama is set in the 18th century, at the court of the mentally ill King Christian VII of Denmark (Følsgaard). It focuses on the romance between the king's wife, Caroline Matilda of Great Britain (Vikander), and the royal physician Johann Friedrich Struensee (Mikkelsen). Really well done and very enjoyable. (Not to mention Alicia Vikander is easy on the eyes.)
Gordon

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:40 pm

Knockout with Stone Cold Steve Austin on Netflix.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:27 am

Inside Out. Since it was Pixar, we have high expectation. Yes, there will be sequels, as always.

I think that Joy (Amy Poelher) really carried the movie, more than the main character Riley. There are moments that we as parents and children could all relate to. It was surprisingly short, only 1.5 hours. There was a short movie called Lava before the main event, so the whole duration was stretched out to like 1.45 hours. We watched the 2D version.

This movie is more about the story than technology. It's family entertainment at its best. Can't wait for the BluRay to come out.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:32 pm

i rented interstellar from redbox last nite. 8+/10 rating on imdb.

2 reviews that i could find on this site. one person loved it, the other hated it. i'm kinda in the middle. i'm not gonna say where i found the movie lacking because that would require me to reveal spoilers. i think if you are a big fan of sci fi (i'm not) you will enjoy the movie.

a google search will display many websites where the end of the movie is explained. this cleared up some of the confusion for me. but shouldn't a 2 hour 45 minute movie be able to explain everything - even to non sci fi buffs?

poker27

Post by poker27 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:39 pm

MP173 wrote:Not exactly a movie, but the wife and I are watching Season 2 of House of Cards....pretty good stuff.

Ed

I am in the process of re watching the first 2 seasons. For whatever reason I couldnt get into season 3 after waiting for it to come out, so now I'm excited again :)

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm

A classic: Wall Street with Gordon Gekko.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:14 pm

Do any Bogleheads know if there will be a Wall Street III?

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:47 pm

Last night, on Netflix, I watched Donnie Brasco, directed by Mike Newell and starring Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, Michael Madsen, Bruno Kirby, James Russo, and Anne Heche.

I saw parts of the film years ago on television and liked what I saw, so I was eager to see it in its entirety, and I'm glad I did. This was a terrific film. Great acting. Great music.
Gordon

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:28 pm

gkaplan wrote:Last night, on Netflix, I watched Donnie Brasco, directed by Mike Newell and starring Johnny Depp, Al Pacino, Michael Madsen, Bruno Kirby, James Russo, and Anne Heche.

I saw parts of the film years ago on television and liked what I saw, so I was eager to see it in its entirety, and I'm glad I did. This was a terrific film. Great acting. Great music.

Great film.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 1:27 pm

The Hospital 1971 with George C. Scott and Diana Rigg. It was hilarious.

Now I fully appreciate why most of my friends in the healthcare field did not like to check in to the hospitals. It is well worth the 100 minutes of relaxation. :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:11 pm

Ged wrote:Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. About a young engineer who is too near-sighted to be a pilot who then goes on to design the Japanese Zero fighter plane.

Lots of insight into engineering culture and pre-war Japan. Most notable were the Great Kantō earthquake scenes which are utterly brilliantly done.

The Wind Rises. I absolutely loved it. This is a story of following your passion, along with falling in love.

The animation is hand-done, which brings a certain "feel" to the movie that can't be replicated in CGI. This movie deserves it's accolades for visual quality.

The movie was produced in Japanese. For an animated film, it shouldn't be all that difficult to overlay spoken English. Or so I thought until I watched the bonus feature "Behind the Microphone." Trying to lip-sync Japanese with English turned out to be incredibly difficult to do. The fact that they made the experience watchable without subtitles is a credit to the production team and the voice actors.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:17 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Ged wrote:Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. About a young engineer who is too near-sighted to be a pilot who then goes on to design the Japanese Zero fighter plane.

Lots of insight into engineering culture and pre-war Japan. Most notable were the Great Kantō earthquake scenes which are utterly brilliantly done.

The Wind Rises. I absolutely loved it. This is a story of following your passion, along with falling in love.

The animation is hand-done, which brings a certain "feel" to the movie that can't be replicated in CGI. This movie deserves it's accolades for visual quality.

The movie was produced in Japanese. For an animated film, it shouldn't be all that difficult to overlay spoken English. Or so I thought until I watched the bonus feature "Behind the Microphone." Trying to lip-sync Japanese with English turned out to be incredibly difficult to do. The fact that they made the experience watchable without subtitles is a credit to the production team and the voice actors.

Yes, I agree.Please see his " Grave of the Fireflies " if haven't already.
All the Best, | Joe

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:44 pm

Attack Of The Puppet People :happy
https://youtu.be/aQsRE2tVQNM
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:47 pm

Wall Street II - Money Never Sleeps

Will there be a part three?

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:00 pm

Sunday night, on Netflix, I watched What Happened, Miss Simone?, a biographical documentary on blues singer, civil rights activist Nina Simone.
Gordon

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:55 pm

Amy. A pretty good documentary about Amy Winehouse. The movie is thrilling whenever her formidable talent is on display. But, for me, there is too much material on her downward spiral, and this makes the movie feel misshapen. The documentary indulges in the very thing it condemns.

A review...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/03/movie ... .html?_r=0

peppers

Post by peppers » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:31 pm

Mortdecai...with Johnny Depp and Gwyneth Paltrow. Well.......at least it was a free rental from the public library. I will be kind and stop there.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:53 pm

The Man from Laramie.....Jimmy Stewart

Tonight it's gonna be The Sons of Katie Elder....The Duke John Wayne and Dean Martin....

I never get tired of watching the old cowboy movies...

Don

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:55 pm

The Expendables 3
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:10 pm

bondsr4me wrote:The Man from Laramie.....Jimmy Stewart

Tonight it's gonna be The Sons of Katie Elder....The Duke John Wayne and Dean Martin....

I never get tired of watching the old cowboy movies...

Don

I'm the same way. I love the old John Wayne movies. Martha Hyer had my heart before I a teenager. :sharebeer
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:46 pm

While We're Young with Ben Stiller. I like Ben Stiller, and it got good reviews, but my wife and I didn't care for it at all. We turned it off about halfway through. The premise had potential, but we just didn't find it funny.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:05 pm

Uncommon Valor with Gene Hackman on Netflix. Vietnam POW film.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:27 pm

Dead Man Walking, very moving, didn't expect the ending.

John Wick. I was into it immediately. Hook, line, and sinker. Action-packed, touching, fast-paced. Keanu can still kick ass after all these years.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:19 pm

I'm not into kid movies (well past that phase) but went to Inside Out with kids and grand kids. Liked it a lot - so creative.

Then spent a couple of additional days with them after the movie. The lessons of the movie came through to the grand kids, even though they were two and four years old. That really impressed me.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:23 pm

NightCrawler :happy

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:35 am

Toons wrote:NightCrawler :happy

Last fall, my wife and I went out on our first movie night in about a year with the intent to see Interstellar. Last minute, we switched to Nightcrawler just because of the movie poster. So glad we did.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:22 pm

"Stolen" with Nick Cage on Netflix. Good film.