What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
matti

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by matti » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:18 pm

I watched Texas Chainsaw 3D a few nights ago. I'm a horror movie fan, but this movie wasn't particularly good. It was a far cry from the original 1970s Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

GolfGuy123

Post by GolfGuy123 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:17 pm

market timer wrote:
GolfGuy123 wrote:Someone mentioned Grand Budapest Hotel, I saw this a few months ago and thought it was awesome. It just had a different "feel" than the majority of movies today, hard to explain without actually seeing it. The aesthetics and cinematography really made it stand out.

The feel is very similar to other Wes Anderson films. If you liked Grand Budapest, check out some of his other work. Rushmore is one of my favorite movies.

Watching The Royal Tenenbaums now, awsesome film - fell asleep half way through last night and looking forward to finishing the rest today. You are totally right about the "feel" being the same! Something so unique about it...I also watched the trailer for Rushmore, really pumped to watch it, not only does it seem like my type of movie but Jason Schwartzman is one of my favorite actors. The irony is I usually find his characters "annoying" but in a comical, cant take your eyes off the screen kind of way. I think thats the point with a lot of his characters though lol. There is another film he is in that I am looking forward to watching as well "Listen Up Philip" not sure if you have seen that one? Thanks again for suggesting to watch other WA films.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:37 pm

Kill them softly with Brad Pitt. On Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

island

Post by island » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:10 pm

In the theatre:
Mockingjay
Gone Girl. Read the book first so expected a letdown, but the movie was very good too,
Wild. Enjoyed it, but book much better and expected better scenery.

At home today:
Lone Survivor
Hidalgo

Bunch of old Xmas movies past couple of weeks.

Going to check out some others mentioned in this thread. Thanks.

market timer

Post by market timer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 2:28 am

GolfGuy123 wrote:I also watched the trailer for Rushmore, really pumped to watch it, not only does it seem like my type of movie but Jason Schwartzman is one of my favorite actors. The irony is I usually find his characters "annoying" but in a comical, cant take your eyes off the screen kind of way. I think thats the point with a lot of his characters though lol. There is another film he is in that I am looking forward to watching as well "Listen Up Philip" not sure if you have seen that one? Thanks again for suggesting to watch other WA films.

Rushmore is special for me, not only because I like Wes Anderson films, but because my experience in school was very similar to the Schwartzman character. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea, though. Have not seen, or even heard of, "Listen Up Philip." I'm overseas and get very limited US releases, usually have to wait for DVD. Will keep an eye out for it.

Exuberent

Post by Exuberent » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:33 am

'71 - British soldier is separated from his unit while on patrol in Belfast - tense and well done.

Mintee

Post by Mintee » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:17 pm

We really enjoyed the Imitation Game.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:19 pm

Recent notable films--

Interstellar: Entertaining, engaging, and filled with quality acting, credible and exciting special effects, and nice cinematography. But the more I think about it, the less sense it made, and what started out as the promise of something amazing sort of petered out into a sprawling mess that on one hand tried to neatly tie everything up in a bow, but on the other succeeded in answering none of the big questions the movie appeared to pose. I think the movie suffered from being too ambitious. It couldn't deliver on being in a class with "2001" and ultimately felt like a strange mix of "Contact" and "Armageddon."

The Imitation Game: This was another competently directed and well-acted movie, that I completely enjoyed, and the director did a nifty job of intermixing the three periods in Turing's life (as a young person in school, work on the Enigma project, and the last horrible year of his life). I did find that its deviation from historical fact was so frequent and pervasive that the movie would have been, in my estimation, much better had all of the characters been fictionalized and it had been merely "based on" Alan Turing's life, rather than purporting to be some sort of biopic. (As in, not even call Alan Turing by his real name and instead create a fictional character who was very closely modeled on him--this would have made the deviations from historical fact so much less jarring).

Wild: The best movie I saw recently in the theater, and unexpectedly so. Reese Witherspoon's performance was fantastic and the screenplay was terrific--the screenwriter and director skillfully wove in Cheryl's memories into the present day, so although the movie had a somewhat nonlinear feel, it was pulled off in a way that felt totally natural. It was done in a way that you really were able to imagine Cheryl processing the difficult memories she had while she was on the Pacific Crest Trail, but at the same time the flashback scenes were introduced in a way that allowed you to follow a meaningful and coherent narrative of her life and understand why she felt the things that she felt. Also impressive was the way in which the film managed to depict the challenges that a single, female hiker would experience along the way.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 pm

Trading Places (on Netflix)

I seem to always watch this during the New Year's holiday.
I guess it's kind of a tradition for me.

david99

Post by david99 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:05 pm

I recently saw Argo. Very good movie about the Iranian hostage crisis in the 1980's --- People were taken from the US embassy and held hostage but a few managed to go to the Canadian embassy. I got the video from the library. In the special features section it also had an interview of Jimmy Carter and the CIA agent involved in the case.

Robert44

Post by Robert44 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:08 pm

The Third Night at the Museum movie.
Unbroken
The Imitation Game.

All Good.
My favorite was The Imitation Game.

Can't wait to see American Sniper.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:15 am

Mintee wrote:We really enjoyed the Imitation Game.

Very much so. I can't recall having gone to a movie in the past and having the audience clap in appreciation of the story at the end.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

clast

Post by clast » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:39 am

Only Lovers Left Alive (2014)

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycOKvWrwYFo

I recommend it. It's about two vampires living in modern times, who have been married for a few hundred years. It made me think about what it would be like to have lived for 500 or 1000 years (imagine that compound interest!)

avenger

Post by avenger » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:22 pm

The Out of Towners (1999 remake with Goldie Hawn and Steve Martin). Kind of ridiculous but easy enough to watch. Funny, and surprised I hadn't seen it before.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:35 pm

We started "Orange in the New Black" on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:49 pm

abuss368 wrote:We started "Orange in the New Black" on Netflix.

One of my favorites. I hope you enjoy it as much as my wife and I did.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

GenXer

Post by GenXer » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:26 pm

In theaters: Top Five (Chris Rock). About a stand-up comedian turned movie actor struggling to remain funny and relevant. Interesting observations on fame, success, and "the industry." One pretty raw (but humorous) sex scene. R+

On Netflix: Sneakers (1992) with Robert Redford, Dan Aykroyd, Sidney Poitier, Ben Kingsley, River Phoenix. Caper film involving computer hacking and the NSA set in SF and Silicon Valley. Somehow missed this when it came out. Seeing all the footage of SF 20 years ago (when I lived there) was really a trip. Seems incredibly prescient in some ways.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:35 pm

The movie binge continues. Last night I watched The Way, Way Back, which I got out of the library since it is not on Netflix. Good, solid family/coming-of-age comedy with those hard to watch moments that remind you of how painful family together time could be when you were a kid.

island

Post by island » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:28 pm

Downloaded Academy Award nominated Martin Scorsese directed film from 2011 called "Hugo". Really enjoyed it. Quite a departure from his usual gangster films.

"Django Unchained" Thumbs up!

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Selma. Arguably the best movie of 2014.

Here is a link to the review from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/arts/ ... eroes.html

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:25 pm

I watched Zero Dark Thirty Wednesday night on a DVD I borrowed from my library. I saw it twice when it first came out several years ago but wanted to see it again.
Gordon

Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:45 am

protagonist wrote:Out of the Past. 1947 classic noir with Robert Mitchum, Krik Douglas and Jane Greer- considered by many one of the best noirs ever. Great 40s dialogue and cigarette smoking styles throughout.... I was at the edge of my seat until the ending, which was a bit of a "Then they all got run over by a truck" ending. For that reason I would not put it in the same category as, say, The Big Sleep, Chinatown or LA Confidential.

Thanks for the recommendation. In addition to the dialog (Kathie Moffat: "You're no good for anyone but me. You're no good and neither am I. That's why we deserve each other." <smooch>), I also liked the period cars. I wasn't too disappointed by the ending, figuring the Hayes Code would have something like that in store.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:09 am

Saw Selma tonight. Thought it was good, but was also a little underwhelmed, perhaps from having my sights set too high.

Oh man Out of the Past is GREAT!

SGM

Post by SGM » Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:09 am

Mr. Turner. Excellent photography. Turner grunts a lot and lacks social graces. It held my interest throughout.

Regal 56

Post by Regal 56 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:18 pm

nisiprius wrote:I still think the Pink Elephants sequence from Dumbo is simply astonishing. I first saw it when I was five years old and, uh, it holds up six decades later. Not only the animation, but the song itself.

Walt Disney had a lurid bent for conjuring nightmares and putting them into children’s movies.

Is there a name for the metrical and musical device, that interrupted flow of meter?

Maybe the word you’re looking for is “syncopation.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQPcup4sbAE

investor

Post by investor » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:35 pm

Just saw SELMA. I was in the military during the actual event and missed much of the news. So this movie clarified a spot of history for me. Good movie.

investor

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:55 pm

gkaplan wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
Munir wrote:"Ida"- a Polish/Danish film. Best in 2014.

It's a great film. I watched it several months ago at a film festival.

Victoria

Make that three of us.

Four.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

hq38sq43

Post by hq38sq43 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 8:27 pm

The Americanization of Emily (1964). Great Directo: Arthur Hiller; Great cast: James Garner, Julie Andrews, Melvyn Douglas, James Coburn, Joyce Grenfell, Keenan Wynn, Edward Binns, et al; quirky story set in England just before 1944 D Day invasion. Proudly coward admiral's "dog robber" (admiral's aide) played by Garner, loved for being so by triply bereaved widow played by Andrews, ordered by admiral to photograph first dead man on Omaha Beach (who admiral insists must be a sailor) winds up almost being that dead sailor. Great movie on many levels.

Enjoy,
Last edited by hq38sq43 on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harry at Bradenton

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:13 pm

Cinderella Man. It`s my favorite movie.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:29 pm

My goal this year is to see 50+ movies.

This week's movies:

The Hundred Foot Journey
In Search of General Tao
Troop 491 - The Adventure of the Muddy Lions

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:33 pm

Inherent Vice. A good movie about a bad trip. I would recommend it to the more adventurous moviegoers.
Last edited by jginseattle on Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bsteiner

Post by bsteiner » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:37 pm

Over the holiday weekends and this past weekend I saw Annie, Imitation Game and Selma. I enjoyed all three.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:43 am

Unbroken - directed by Angelina Jolie. Awesome!!!
After a near-fatal plane crash in WWII, Olympian Louis Zamperini spends a harrowing 47 days in a raft with two fellow crewmen before he's caught by the Japanese navy and sent to a prisoner-of-war camp.

Based on a true story.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

davebarnes

Selma

Post by davebarnes » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:40 pm

jginseattle wrote:Selma. Arguably the best movie of 2014.l

Saw it today. Very good.
The opening scene from Birmingham should be studied by every filmmaker. Just perfect.
A nerd living in Denver

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:03 pm

Quite possibly the greatest movie ever made... Guardians of the Galaxy. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

iamageek

Post by iamageek » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Shawshank Redemption...........for the umpteenth time :=) hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies. :=)

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:43 pm

I put Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix on last night in the background while simulating my taxes (put off estimated tax to the last minute .....!). It was suitably ominous and helped me get the job done.

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:45 pm

The Imitation Game. A great movie.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

uglystickrules

Post by uglystickrules » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 am

Inherent Vice - not what I had hoped, too foggy of a script, but fits the fog in the main character's head...I usually love PTA, but this reminded me of The Counselor - lots of talent and promise and a script that didn't quite tell the whole story

Nightcrawler (back in November) - Gyllenhaal knocked it out of the park, but got snubbed by the Academy. Great noir

Birdman - Keaton/Norton are amazing, and it's hilarious.

Also finally got around to seeing 12 Years A Slave - great film through and through, although Pitt's character is a bit Hollywood in the way he plays it (no surprise)

The Hobbit Battle of the Five Armies - disappointing trilogy, should've been one movie with all the spoon-feeding allusions to the other books/movies left out of it. The last one was a lot of romance/action/catharsis that felt hurried, and I swear Orlando Bloom's Legalos was buffer, blonder, and had brighter contacts in his eyes in these films than the others.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:37 pm

American Sniper. Overrated.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:01 pm

Macmungo wrote:Earlier this week we watched "The Grand Budapest Hotel". A bit arch and 15 minutes too long but an unexpected pleasure. When I was young I could not bear the Austrian writer Stefan Zweig. on whose material about pre-World War II Central Europe the film is based, but director Wes Anderson has made at least a cashmere purse out of Zweig's unlikely material. ...)

Not that familiar with Zweig, but do like Anderson and agree on "Hotel." Despite the many films I've seen of a coming WWII in Europe, this one for some reason was most chilling. Something about the normalcy aboard the train, papers seemingly in order - until they aren't and a new world breaks in.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

roka

Post by roka » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:04 pm

Blackhat. Very disappointing!

betterinvestor2012

Post by betterinvestor2012 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:28 pm

Just saw Gone Girl. I must say I am shocked at how popular this is. I thought the story was so ridiculous and acting poor I found it hard to watch. A lot of people like it though so I must really be missing something.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:31 pm

Just got back from seeing American Sniper. It was a good movie, as expected, and I can't turn down a good war movie. I've never heard such a quiet crowd coming out of the theater.

I also finally watched The Godfather for the first time today, and will be watching The Godfather Part II tomorrow.

david99

Post by david99 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:23 am

The Railway Man. It's about a British prisoner of war who was captured by the Japanese. Excellent movie. It's based on a true story-- I think that the book has the same title.
Last edited by david99 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlwaysaQ

Post by AlwaysaQ » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:52 am

Recent theater movies have been Interstellar, Gone Girl, and yesterday I saw The Imitation Game. I plan to see American Sniper next.

rixer

Post by rixer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:11 am

We rented "The Equalizer" from Redbox. It stars Denzel Washington as an ex agent trying to live a normal life in society. He works at a Home Improvement center like Home Depot.
A prostitute he speaks with at a diner is beaten and left for dead by a mob boss and there's nobody to help her.

Enter Denzel, the "Equalizer".
I give this movie two thumbs up! :thumbsup :thumbsup

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:23 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy. A mix of Firefly and Star Wars gone bad.

I would classify this as a slasher film, as the music from '70s and '80s was hacked in ways that would make the original composers turn over in their graves.* The music was also used as background for some the action scenes. Ugh.

It was somewhat entertaining, though.

* They're still alive, but might drop dead if they heard the sound track.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:28 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy. A mix of Firefly and Star Wars gone bad.

I would classify this as a slasher film, as the music from '70s and '80s was hacked in ways that would make the original composers turn over in their graves.* The music was also used as background for some the action scenes. Ugh.

It was somewhat entertaining, though.

* They're still alive, but might drop dead if they heard the sound track.

Your "gone bad/slashing/hacking/turn over in graves/ugh/drop dead" review has convinced me I've got to see this movie. Seriously. Thanks! :)
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:55 pm

You're welcome. Be sure to look for Stan Lee, who gives a brief cameo in every Marvel comic movie.