What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Youngblood

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Youngblood » Mon May 15, 2017 4:10 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
d0gerz wrote:Kubo and the Two Strings. Really enjoyed it. Great story. Actually thought I was watching a dubbed version of a Japanese film, surprised to learn it's an American original.
Kubo and the Two Strings, on Netflix. I agree. It was a good story and fun to watch.

My husband picked up early-on this was not a Japanese film. It doesn't detract in any way from a good story, but something seemed to be "missing" compared to one made in Japan.

The music for the ending credits was a very nice touch. I was also pleasantly surprised to see George Takei and Brenda Vaccaro in the cast.
I appreciate this thread because both my DW and I have been frustrated with the difficulty in selecting movies we actually like. We usually opt for TV series because then at least once we find something we both like we can enjoy the entire series for quite a while.

So, looked this one up. The only one I could find was annimation. IS that correct?

I was interested when Brenda Vaccaro was mentioned but if it is a cartoon...

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Mon May 15, 2017 4:17 pm

Random Poster wrote:
Loon11 wrote:Recommend Manchester by the Sea, great, although not a happy movie.
I watched it this weekend.

I think that the movie was over-hyped and given too many accolades----it isn't difficult to act "sad," and there was no real point to the movie that I could discern. Glad that I didn't pay any money out of pocket to watch it.
Me too, I really wanted to like this movie but just didn't. Perhaps it was simply too sad.

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Mon May 15, 2017 4:28 pm

Youngblood wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:
d0gerz wrote:Kubo and the Two Strings. Really enjoyed it. Great story. Actually thought I was watching a dubbed version of a Japanese film, surprised to learn it's an American original.
Kubo and the Two Strings, on Netflix. I agree. It was a good story and fun to watch.

My husband picked up early-on this was not a Japanese film. It doesn't detract in any way from a good story, but something seemed to be "missing" compared to one made in Japan.

The music for the ending credits was a very nice touch. I was also pleasantly surprised to see George Takei and Brenda Vaccaro in the cast.
I appreciate this thread because both my DW and I have been frustrated with the difficulty in selecting movies we actually like. We usually opt for TV series because then at least once we find something we both like we can enjoy the entire series for quite a while.

So, looked this one up. The only one I could find was annimation. IS that correct?

YB
It is animated but unless you really hate animated films in general don't let that dissuade you. It is one of the most stunning claymation films I have seen, and the story is really meant for adults I think. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it. Make sure you watch the end credits, they show you how it is done.

corwin

Post by corwin » Mon May 15, 2017 4:57 pm

magazinewriter wrote:The Founder - the story of Ray Kroc and the brothers who actually came up with the idea for McDonalds and opened the first restaurant. Not a documentary at all. I really enjoyed it. Kroc was ruthless. If you rent the DVD, as I did from Redbox, it includes a panel discussion with the actors and the grandsons of the original founders.
We watched The Founder over the weekend. I liked it and it sparked interesting conversations with my daughter about the value of a good idea vs the value of executing on the good idea. We also talked about the trade-offs involved in making financial decisions. Sometimes it is better to take the million dollars stress-free than to hold out for $100 million and die while it is being fought out in court. Kroc was not a nice man (per the movie) but he had the drive to make McDonalds a global company.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Mon May 15, 2017 5:05 pm

Baahubali 2: The Conclusion

I would recommend it and also the prequel Baahubali : The Beginning.
Last edited by Pranav on Mon May 22, 2017 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pranav

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Mon May 15, 2017 5:32 pm

Youngblood wrote:
Random Poster wrote:
Loon11 wrote:Recommend Manchester by the Sea, great, although not a happy movie.

I think that the movie was over-hyped and given too many accolades----it isn't difficult to act "sad," and there was no real point to the movie that I could discern. Glad that I didn't pay any money out of pocket to watch it.
Me too, I really wanted to like this movie but just didn't. Perhaps it was simply too sad.
I guess everyone saw it this weekend. Me too.

Yes, probably overhyped. But I thought it was good. Worth seeing. I gave it 4* out of 5. The way the circumstances of the Casey Affleck character were slowly revealed layer by layer was well done IMO. But yes, watching others struggle with grief and depression is not light entertainment, and probably not a great fit for date night.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd say if you saw and liked Blue Valentine (2010) (another movie featuring Michelle Williams), you should watch this too.

Still working my way through last year's AA nominees, but I'd say Hell or High Water is the best I've seen so far. Certainly deserved best screenplay over Manchester.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon May 15, 2017 8:33 pm

Bloodline is coming back this month.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon May 15, 2017 8:55 pm

Random Poster wrote:

I added the movie to my watch list on Amazon. Anything with Michelle Williams is worth watching for me.
Gordon

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Tue May 16, 2017 9:30 am

5th_Dimension wrote:
Youngblood wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

YB
It is animated but unless you really hate animated films in general don't let that dissuade you. It is one of the most stunning claymation films I have seen, and the story is really meant for adults I think. Both my wife and I really enjoyed it. Make sure you watch the end credits, they show you how it is done.
OK thanks, I will give it a try.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue May 16, 2017 11:12 am

Julieta

After the death of her husband at sea Julieta raises her
daughter alone. The daughter decides to disappear when
she becomes of age much to her mother's dismay and
bewilderment. The mother looks back and begins a journal
starting at her daughter's birth trying to piece the puzzle
together. Excellent film.
8/10

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue May 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Song of the Sea - animated movie, same people who did The Secret of Kells. Enjoyable with a great soundtrack mostly by Bruno Coulais who created the amazing Coraline soundtrack. If you like Miyazaki movies, you'll notice bits of inspiration from his films in this one.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed May 17, 2017 10:43 am

Just finished Season 1 of The Brokenwood Mysteries. This is a TV series filmed in New Zealand. There are currently two more seasons available. Each episode is 80 to 90 minutes which is, I think, a good length for a mystery story: time for interesting plots and character development.

Brokenwood is a pure murder-mystery. I say "pure" because there are no oddities. The main characters don't have major quirks nor psychological problems nor physical flaws. Neither do they have detecting super-powers (beyond actual competence). There are no gimmicks there just for amusement or to act as deus-ex-machina to save the plot. Here is the extent of the main character's quirks:
  1. He listens to country music. This provides the musical score for the show, so you'd better like it too! The selections are quite good. They are not random but relate to the ongoing plot.
  2. Holding a short "conversation" with the dead body helps him get a feel for the case.
  3. He drives an old car -- which he likes.
Of course there is a bureaucracy our heroes have to live with, but there are no stupid, nasty, jealous superiors trying to "get them off the case" or otherwise interfere with them gratuitously. This in itself is refreshing. (In one show, a superior DID "interfere" but it turned out he took some executive action that actually, surprisingly, and intentionally, helped!)

I like it.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Elsebet wrote:Song of the Sea - animated movie, same people who did The Secret of Kells. Enjoyable with a great soundtrack mostly by Bruno Coulais who created the amazing Coraline soundtrack. If you like Miyazaki movies, you'll notice bits of inspiration from his films in this one.
I also enjoyed this movie

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 pm

"Lion".Based on a true story. Very Good.
All the Best, | Joe

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 pm

joe8d wrote:"Lion".Based on a true story. Very Good.
I liked it to too, but it's a major tear jerker.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun May 21, 2017 6:15 pm

Norman: The Moderate Rise and Tragic Fall of a New York Fixer. Everything comes together beautifully in this comedy starring Richard Gere. Highly recommended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/13/movi ... -gere.html

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... hen-falls/

Levett

Post by Levett » Sun May 21, 2017 7:07 pm

HBO movie--"The Wizard of Lies" (Bernie Madoff). Instructive. Fine work by De Niro.

Lev

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 21, 2017 7:12 pm

Chef, on Netflix. A chef quits his job, ends up running a food truck, all while trying to keep his family together. Not bad, a nice change of pace.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun May 21, 2017 7:16 pm

I get a kick out of Netflix, Frankie and Grace. Jane (my secret love) has aged gracefully as I have :mrgreen: :? :annoyed :oops:
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sun May 21, 2017 7:25 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
joe8d wrote:"Lion".Based on a true story. Very Good.
I liked it to too, but it's a major tear jerker.
Agreed on both counts. I am not at all a crier, but during the ending credits, where they showed the real-life "Lion" and his step-mother meeting his birth family, I totally lost it. In a good way.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 pm

I just watched "Alien: Covenant" today, and, wow. A lot of WTF type moments in it. I didn't have an awful time at the theatre, but I would recommend it only for people whose sci-fi fandom means they have a wide tolerance for mediocre movies. It will make no one forget the original (or its outstanding James Cameron-directed sequel).

Regarding a movie posted about upthread: Kubo and the Two Strings--really liked this one! I had meant to see it in the theatre and missed it and was delighted when it showed up on Netflix.

High Income Parent

Post by High Income Parent » Sun May 21, 2017 10:30 pm

I just watched Captain Fantastic

I enjoyed the movie and it was very thought provoking. I enjoy a movie that doesn't give you a sense of a true protagonist or antagonist.
It is pretty crass though with language and one quick unnecessary full frontal male nude scene I did not expect. Just as a warning.
Overall as a home school family it had an entertaining way of portraying the father and his children.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Mon May 22, 2017 8:12 pm

Logan and Doctor Strange. Logan ain't your typical superhero movie. I wouldn't be surprised if it earns Oscar nominations for Jackman and Stewart. Doctor Strange was ok. Don't watch it under the influence of anything; you'll puke.

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Mon May 22, 2017 8:56 pm

Arrival

I would recommend it.
Pranav

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue May 23, 2017 9:56 am

The Seekers, a documentary from Netflix.

We have watched 4 of the 7 episodes of this documentary about the 1969 murder of a nun in Baltimore linked to a priest accused of sex abuse of high school students. The series is very good.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 23, 2017 11:50 am

On 22 May 2017, I saw Cloudy Sunday

Dir. Manoussos Manoussakis
(118 min, Greece, 2016)
Greek with English subtitles

A smash box-office hit in Greece, Cloudy Sunday tracks a tumultuous wartime romance between a Jewish girl and Christian resistance fighter. The sweeping epic brings to screen the untold story of Thessaloniki’s Sephardic community; the drama of a love torn asunder by the cruel realities of war; and acts as a testament to the indomitability of the human spirit. Set to the haunting music of legendary Sephardic composer Vassilis Tsitsanis.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue May 23, 2017 8:50 pm

VictoriaF wrote:On 22 May 2017, I saw Cloudy Sunday

(118 min, Greece, 2016)

A smash box-office hit in Greece, Cloudy Sunday tracks a tumultuous wartime romance between a Jewish girl and Christian resistance fighter. The sweeping epic brings to screen the untold story of Thessaloniki’s Sephardic community; the drama of a love torn asunder by the cruel realities of war; and acts as a testament to the indomitability of the human spirit. Set to the haunting music of legendary Sephardic composer Vassilis Tsitsanis.

Victoria
Thanks for the overview, Victoria. I "borrowed" the movie on Hoopla. I'm going to watch it this weekend.
Gordon

PeterWander8

Post by PeterWander8 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:46 pm

MoonOrb wrote:I just watched "Alien: Covenant" today, and, wow. A lot of WTF type moments in it. I didn't have an awful time at the theatre, but I would recommend it only for people whose sci-fi fandom means they have a wide tolerance for mediocre movies. It will make no one forget the original (or its outstanding James Cameron-directed sequel).

Regarding a movie posted about upthread: Kubo and the Two Strings--really liked this one! I had meant to see it in the theatre and missed it and was delighted when it showed up on Netflix.
oh lol.. did Ripley come back? save me $10 and let me know! :o

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 pm

gkaplan wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:On 22 May 2017, I saw Cloudy Sunday

(118 min, Greece, 2016)

Victoria
Thanks for the overview, Victoria. I "borrowed" the movie on Hoopla. I'm going to watch it this weekend.
Hi Gordon,

The overview is not mine, it's from the Washington Jewish Film Festival's site. Today, I watched another film which I highly recommend:
Past Life

Dir. Avi Nesher
(103 min, Israel, 2016)
English Hebrew German Polish with English subtitles

In 1977 Jerusalem, two sisters, the daughters of Holocaust survivors, investigate a taboo topic: the mystery of their father’s survival in Poland during World War II. In arguably his most daring film yet, 2015 WJFF Visionary Award honoree Avi Nesher confronts a trauma that weighs heavily on Nana, a combative liberal journalist, and younger sister Sephi, an introverted but ambitious classical music composer.

As they slowly unravel a disturbing wartime mystery, they realize that freedom from the shackles of the past often requires painful sacrifice.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed May 24, 2017 9:53 am

Thanks, Victoria. Amazon, Netflix, and Hoopla don't have Past Life.
Gordon

BanditKing

Post by BanditKing » Wed May 24, 2017 10:15 am

Recently watched a Horror/Comedy called "Cooties". It's a typical parody of the Horror film and Zombie memes, but the kicker is that all the zombies are children.

Ended up being one of those "so bad it's good" types of movies and a much-needed chuckle.

Plus, just imagining how much fun the kids had playing the part of killer zombies makes me smile.

Trailer: https://youtu.be/UvD-LZghP3o

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Wed May 24, 2017 1:18 pm

Just finished Hacksaw Ridge. A true story about a Conscientious Objector in WW II. Really good and really really violent, and bloody.
My wife did not watch it. I knew it was not her cup of tea.
I thought is was a great war movie, if you are into that sort of thing.
Dan999

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed May 24, 2017 1:29 pm

Get Out - Awesome movie...unique

Logan - More of the same from wolverine...I really hope they stop making these movies. The movie "get out" was probably 10x better than Logan.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed May 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Has anyone seen "The Galapagos Affair: Satan Came to Eden"?

It's on Nextflix and I'm pretty obsessed with those islands... I might give it a shot.

birdog

Post by birdog » Thu May 25, 2017 8:23 am

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol 2. I thought it was great. Better than the first. Made me appreciate 70's and 80's music again.
The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity -Bruce Lee

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu May 25, 2017 8:30 am

Chicago, with Renee Zellweger, Richard Gere, Catherine Zeta Jones, Queen Latifah and John C. Reilly.

A great movie musical. Always entertaining even after many views.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Fri May 26, 2017 3:13 pm

Just watched these three on a recent trip.

Silence - Martin Scorsese. Catholic priests trying to spread the faith in an isolated Japan in the 17th century. Decent movie. Well acted, very good cinematography. Not great pacing though so it really dragged at the end.

Assassins Creed - Michael Fassbender. Not sure why I watched this tripe. Maybe it was the glasses of wine they kept passing out on the plane. Bad, even for a video game movie. Fassbender and Jeremy Irons should be ashamed.

Miss Sloane - Jessica Chastain. A nasty DC lobbyist decides to lobby for gun control. It was okay. Political thriller lite. But, it had Jessica Chastain in it.. so my eyeballs were happy.. :happy

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun May 28, 2017 4:14 am

I watched two movies last night on Hoopla.

The first was The Women's Balcony, directed by Emil Ben-Shimon and starring Evelin Hagoel, Avraham Aviv Alush, Igal Naor, Orna Banai, and
Yafit Asulin.

When a charismatic rabbi enters their lives, some women in Jerusalem attempt to unite their neighborhood and preserve their traditions.
Borrowing from Aristophanes’ Lysistrata, the 2016 film shows the relationships and tensions between different groups within Orthodox Judaism in Jerusalem and provides a cautionary tale about religious fundamentalism. I borrowed this after seeing an interesting review in Hadassah magazine. The movie was excellent. Evelin Hagoel was particularly good, as was the actor who played her husband. (I'm not sure who that was.)

The second movie I saw was Cloudy Sunday, directed by Manousos Manousakis. I decided to watch this after Victoria posted an interesting description several days ago in this thread. The movie is about a Jewish girl and a Christian boy from Thessaloniki who fall in love during the German occupation. This too was excellent.
Gordon

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sun May 28, 2017 7:16 am

Hidden Figures. Too good of a story to be left to such banal script writing... too bad they turned something with such gravity into a Disneyesque cartoon tale.
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

ljb1234

Post by ljb1234 » Sun May 28, 2017 7:47 am

tludwig23 wrote:Just saw A Man Called Ove. Very good. I'd highly recommend for anyone.
+1

Pranav

Post by Pranav » Sun May 28, 2017 8:30 am

Lion. I would recommend it.
Pranav

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 28, 2017 9:32 am

Dr. Strange, rental on Amazon.com. This is yet another Marvel Comics movie. Rated PG-13 with a lot of action and visual effects. Not bad.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sun May 28, 2017 9:53 am

"War Machine" on Netflix - new Netflix produced movie loosely based on the career of General Stanley McChrystal. Mildly entertaining but a little disappointing IMHO.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon May 29, 2017 11:19 am

The Battle for Sevastopol, free on Amazon Prime. The dialog is in Russian (with some Ukrainian), English subtitles.

The movies description states "A biographical film about a woman who changed the course of history." doesn't do justice to this movie. Well produced, interesting dialog, realism; all from a perspective not normally seen by someone in the US. I liked it.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon May 29, 2017 12:19 pm

"Get Me Roger Stone" on Netflix. A documentary about the political establishment and the recent election. Informative.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon May 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Alien: Covenant. In my opinion this is the third best Alien movie after Alien and Aliens. I am looking forward to the sequel.

I recommend watching Prometheus before watching Alien: Covenant.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Tue May 30, 2017 10:09 am

LadyGeek wrote:Dr. Strange, rental on Amazon.com. This is yet another Marvel Comics movie. Rated PG-13 with a lot of action and visual effects. Not bad.
There are certain types of visual effects that leave me completely lost... and this movie had them. I could only see colors swirling around and couldn't follow what they were trying to portray. The Transformer movies are the same way, I never can see what's going on with the robots.

I assume there's something wrong with my eyes because I cannot play video games for this reason. I never can tell what's happening.

dadu007

Post by dadu007 » Tue May 30, 2017 4:25 pm

The (new) Magnificent Seven. It was barely worth the 99-cent Memorial Day weekend rental promo from iTunes.

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Tue May 30, 2017 7:03 pm

John Wick: Chapter 2 - Sequel to John Wick. Keanu Reeves is an ex-hitman for the mob trying to leave the life behind but can't. Plot is extremely simple, he's out for vengeance. Both movies are extremely violent. Styled after Hong Kong cinema's 'gun-fu' genre i.e. close quarters hand-to-hand combat but with guns thrown in the mix so there's a lot of bloodshed.

Chapter 2 isn't bad, though because some of the novelty of the style has worn off, I think I liked the first one better. For fans of the Matrix, this movie has Laurence Fishburne and Keanu Reeves reuniting for the first time since the trilogy.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:14 am

Last night, I stayed up to watch Schindler's List on Netflix. I had read the Thomas Keneally novel, on which the movie was based, years before but had never gotten around to see the movie until now. I don't understand why Liam Neeson didn't win an Academy Award for his portrayal of Oskar Schindler, nor why Ralph Fiennes didn't win an Academy Award for his portrayal of Amon Göth. Ben Kingsley wasn't even nominated for his role as Isaac Stern, which also seemed strange.

Fiennes seems to have an eerie resemblance to Neeson, and it took me awhile to differentiate the two in the movie, which was really eerie.
Gordon