What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bengal22

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby bengal22 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:02 pm

I really thought that A MONSTER CALLS was an excellent, powerful, emotional movie. The movie was not at all from the monster genre(as title implies) but instead was an engrossing portrait of how a young boys deals with a very traumatic situation both in his family and in his school life. Solid A in my book.

Calygos

Postby Calygos » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:27 pm

abuss368 wrote:
SGM wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Blue Caprice on Netflix. A story of the D.C. Sniper years ago.
I lived through the D.C. Sniper so I don't want to see a movie about it.

I can not imagine.

This really sucked to say the least. I was out running the day it started (I lived in No. VA) and found out from the news when I got home.

To stay tangentially on topic, I actually haven't watched anything new (to me) in months now except my aforementioned Rogue One. I've found my interest in movies, already low, has seriously waned over the years. The only one I have any desire to see this year is (coincidentally) The Last Jedi and even with that I'm still waiting for a full trailer that doesn't spoil the movie, as I was underwhelmed by the teaser trailer. I did originally have a desire to see Thor: Ragnarok but I found the trailer off-putting, actually, as I was not in the camp that like Guardians of the Galaxy and this definitely has that vibe to it.

a2z

Postby a2z » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:46 pm

We sure enjoyed the series Time in Between. I followed it up reading Spain in Our Hearts about the role & presence of Americans in the Spanish Civil War in which the movie is also based. Both gave terrific understandings of Spain in the late 1930s.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Enjoying the new season of The Americans on FX. Really like that show.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:56 pm

Their Finest. A very likable film about a British movie company making a morale-booster during World War II.

http://www.seattletimes.com/nation-worl ... e-in-wwii/

Logan. I liked it but it may be too violent and bleak for some viewers.

Serie1926

Postby Serie1926 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:49 am

Sand Castle on the Netflix was quite good.

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:43 am

The Sense of an Ending

A British man pushing 70 revisits the 1960s and a long ago
love after someone bequeaths him a diary in their will.
Jim Broadbent is excellent in the lead. Nice film.
8/10

chuckb84

Postby chuckb84 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:47 am

Just saw "Their Finest" and liked it. Not a -fabulous- movie, but entertaining, and I'm a sucker for the whole film-within-a-film plot. Gotta go watch "The Stuntman" again...

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:39 am

chuckb84 wrote:Just saw "Their Finest" and liked it. Not a -fabulous- movie, but entertaining, and I'm a sucker for the whole film-within-a-film plot. Gotta go watch "The Stuntman" again...

Yes, I remember seeing The Stunt Man during its first run--thought it was terrific. I wonder if it would still seem terrific to me now. Hard to go wrong when Peter O'Toole is involved.

A classic of the genre that I saw for the first time recently is Truffaut's Day for Night (1973).

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:00 pm

Watched Lion earlier this week. It was enjoyable, but unlike most people I liked the first half better than the second.

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:13 pm

I watched "There will be blood" yesterday. The acting was good, but the storyline was very depressing and wish I had not watched it.
I guess there are people like that, but fortunately, most people in the world are not. Maybe rugged oil men at the turn of the century had to be.
Dan999

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:20 pm

Dan999 wrote:I watched "There will be blood" yesterday. The acting was good, but the storyline was very depressing and wish I had not watched it.
I guess there are people like that, but fortunately, most people in the world are not. Maybe rugged oil men at the turn of the century had to be.
Dan999

If you like Daniel Day-Lewis go rent "In the Name of the Father". Hands down his best film, IMO. Great story, great acting.

5th_Dimension

Postby 5th_Dimension » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:46 pm

magazinewriter wrote:A Street Cat Named Bob -- on Netflix

This is based on a true story of a U.K. homeless musician/drug addict who turned his life around with the help of a cat. Heartwarming.

I will second this recommendation for A Street Cat Named Bob. It is heartwarming without insulting your intelligence. Very well done.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Steven Spielberg's The BFG, based on Roald Dahl's great book. Mark Rylance IS the big, friendly giant, at least as I imagined him from the book and he gives a wonderful, heartwarming performance in the movie, the best it had to offer, along with beautifully detailed scenes. The NYT critic A.O. Scott wrote that Rylance's "unique blend of gravity and mischief imbues his fanciful character with a dimension of soul that the rest of the movie lacks."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:46 pm

Diva.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082269/?ref_=rvi_tt
It's a delicious French film based on a novel. Acting was OK but the plot was intriguing. If you enjoy music and crime, this is a sweet treat for both sound and cinematography (video is OK since it was not restored).

TerryDMillerMBA

Postby TerryDMillerMBA » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:00 am

I watched a couple minutes of "The Great Wall."

I am a Matt Damon fan. I am a fantasy fan. I am (for the most part) an epic movie fan.

But I realized early on that movie stinks. It's just not hitting the right buttons for me, despite my predisposition to its cast and style.

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:04 am

The Eagle Huntress,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3882074/?ref_=rvi_tt

It's about the fighting spirit of a 13-year old Mongolian girl who desired to be the first of her kind in competing in a men's world to be an Eagle Hunter, a very uplifting story with gorgeous cinematography. Song was by Sia and narrated by Daisy Ridley.

Geneyus

Postby Geneyus » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:05 am

Just watched, "Lion", about a boy who was lost in India and adopted to another country, and he searches for his original family.

The movie was pretty slow, and I found myself checking my phone at times. The ending was good.

dduke12

Postby dduke12 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:14 am

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--saw it on HBO--wonderful movie. Had studied about the HeLA cells in med school.
Great movie--sad to realize things like this were done in the past--today, taking tissue from someone w/o consent and make millions of dollars from that would never happen.
I am not the biggest Oprah fan, but she did a wonderful job in this movie.

Highly recommended.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:34 am

Fantastic Four, on Netflix. Produced in 2005, this is the original movie on how they got their superpowers. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

TX_Man

Postby TX_Man » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

MP173

Postby MP173 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Finished "Better Call Saul" season 2 last night.

Ed

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Tue May 02, 2017 9:16 pm

This weekend, I watched two documentaries I borrowed from my library.

Vanport: During the early 1940s, Vanport, Oregon was the second largest city in the state. On a Sunday afternoon in May 1948, however, it disappeared completely – destroyed by a catastrophic flood. This is the story of Vanport: what it was like to live there; how it suddenly ended; and how it changed the face of Portland. Part of the Oregon Experience series. Oregon Experience is a co-production of Oregon Public Broadcasting and the Oregon Historical Society.

Ishi: the Last Yahi: Narrated by Linda Hunt. Based on original research by Jed Riffe and the book Ishi, the last Yahi: a Documentary History, edited by Robert F. Heizer and Theodora Kroeber. Originally produced as an episode of the television program The American Experience in 1992. Tells the story of Ishi, who, as the last survivor of California's Yahi people after the rest of his tribe perished in massacres in the 1860s and 1870s, emerged into white society in 1911.
Gordon

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Wed May 03, 2017 6:46 pm

Personal Shopper. All the elements are in place for a spooky ghost story: Twin psychics, one of whom is deceased. A creepy unoccupied house. A grisly murder.

Kristen Stewart is very good.

http://www.newyorker.com/goings-on-abou ... al-shopper

Rattlesnake

Postby Rattlesnake » Wed May 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Watching Trailer Park Boys on Netflix.... Kinda funny....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Wed May 03, 2017 8:22 pm

Rattlesnake wrote:Watching Trailer Park Boys on Netflix.... Kinda funny....

The first time my friend watched that he was stoned out of his mind and he thought it was really a documentary.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun May 07, 2017 1:27 pm

d0gerz wrote:Kubo and the Two Strings. Really enjoyed it. Great story. Actually thought I was watching a dubbed version of a Japanese film, surprised to learn it's an American original.

Kubo and the Two Strings, on Netflix. I agree. It was a good story and fun to watch.

My husband picked up early-on this was not a Japanese film. It doesn't detract in any way from a good story, but something seemed to be "missing" compared to one made in Japan.

The music for the ending credits was a very nice touch. I was also pleasantly surprised to see George Takei and Brenda Vaccaro in the cast.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

fsrph

Postby fsrph » Sun May 07, 2017 5:46 pm

"Guardians of the Galaxy"

Sci fi with tons of CGI / special effects.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

MP173

Postby MP173 » Sun May 07, 2017 5:50 pm

"Fences" last night. We really enjoyed it....very emotional and moving.

Of course it doesnt hurt that Denzel Washington is in it.

I put it up there with Forest Gump as my all time favorites.

Ed

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Mon May 08, 2017 1:17 am

Tonight I finished watching on Amazon Prime the seven-part John Adams miniseries, based on the 2006 David McCullough book and originally broadcast on HBO in 2008.
Gordon

Loon11

Postby Loon11 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:02 pm

Recommend Manchester by the Sea, great, although not a happy movie.

Random Musings

Postby Random Musings » Tue May 09, 2017 6:14 pm

Sing on DVD with the kids.

I thought is was enjoyable.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

flamesabers

Postby flamesabers » Tue May 09, 2017 8:27 pm

Last Saturday I watched the movie Zulu (1964). This was the first movie I saw on the Anglo-Zulu war.

retire57

Postby retire57 » Tue May 09, 2017 8:46 pm

Finally got around to watching Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room. Chilling.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Tue May 09, 2017 9:50 pm

High Income Parent wrote:Temple Grandin

A great story about an amazing lady. It gave me a lot of insight into Autism and what patients and families deal with.

Thank you for the recommendation. Great movie.

I have to say that everything Claire Danes touches turns to gold.
Homeland is the best show on TV.
Temple Grandin was just fascinating to watch.
Family Stone was a better than average movie but if you don't fall in love with Claire Danes' character in that movie then you have no soul. And she's not even my type. Not even close.

High Income Parent

Postby High Income Parent » Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 am

MrNewEngland wrote:
High Income Parent wrote:Temple Grandin

A great story about an amazing lady. It gave me a lot of insight into Autism and what patients and families deal with.

Thank you for the recommendation. Great movie.

I have to say that everything Claire Danes touches turns to gold.
Homeland is the best show on TV.
Temple Grandin was just fascinating to watch.
Family Stone was a better than average movie but if you don't fall in love with Claire Danes' character in that movie then you have no soul. And she's not even my type. Not even close.

Glad you liked it. My wife teases me about liking Claire Danes a little too much. Her and Sandra Bullock.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Wed May 10, 2017 10:14 am

Silence - a film by Martin Scorcese about two Jesuit priests in the 17th century who travel from Portugal to Japan to spread their faith and also search for their missing mentor. Based on true events. It's a long, slow movie.

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Wed May 10, 2017 10:41 am

High Income Parent wrote:[snip..]
Glad you liked it. My wife teases me about liking Claire Danes a little too much. Her and Sandra Bullock.

I'm with you on Sandra Bullock, but just don't get it with Ms. Danes. I loved Temple Grandin (had read her book) and enjoy watching Homeland, but lordy lordy, if I spent 10 minutes in a room with Claire Danes, you'd have to hide the guns. She was young at the time (24), but her behavior with Billy Crudup was not what I'd expect of a Yale grad :D . Billy Crudup leaving Mary Louise Parker, 7 months pregnant at the time, for Claire Danes is a trade I wouldn't have made, but such is life.

Leaving the gossip pages, we return you to the regularly scheduled thread.

HomerJ

Postby HomerJ » Thu May 11, 2017 9:41 am

dduke12 wrote:The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks--saw it on HBO--wonderful movie. Had studied about the HeLA cells in med school.
Great movie--sad to realize things like this were done in the past--today, taking tissue from someone w/o consent and make millions of dollars from that would never happen.
I am not the biggest Oprah fan, but she did a wonderful job in this movie.

Highly recommended.

Oprah should win an Oscar for her acting in that movie. Seriously.

Globalviewer58

Postby Globalviewer58 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:18 am

I am not Your Negro

The writings of James Baldwin focus on his experience as an African-American born in the USA. Since I had not read his works this was a real revelation of the thoughts of an articulate, educated black man experiencing racism in America. The film gives wider exposure to today's audience of mightily relevant issues still facing us.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Thu May 11, 2017 11:33 am

d0gerz wrote:Silence - a film by Martin Scorcese about two Jesuit priests in the 17th century who travel from Portugal to Japan to spread their faith and also search for their missing mentor. Based on true events. It's a long, slow movie.

I really, really dislike both Adam Driver and Andrew Garfield. I like a lot of Scorcese's films and this looked fairly interesting... I just don't think I could sit though those two for three hours.

Onion

Postby Onion » Thu May 11, 2017 12:37 pm

Lion

I read the book first and really enjoyed the movie.

letsgobobby

Postby letsgobobby » Fri May 12, 2017 9:23 pm

hidden figures. despite the sanitization, the principals and history are so compelling that I loved the movie. especially rewarding taking my daughter.

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Fri May 12, 2017 9:34 pm

Inferno. The book was better.

IFRider

Postby IFRider » Fri May 12, 2017 10:31 pm

Losing Sight of Shore on Netflix. 4 Women row across the Pacific in support of breast cancer.

Rotating shifts of 2 hours rowing, 2 hours sleeping for nearly a year. An excellent film.

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 am

Queen of the desert with Nicole Kidman. True story about a highly educated and determined English woman who ventured into various Arab cultures around the first world war.
Wife and I both enjoyed it.
Dan999

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Sun May 14, 2017 11:47 am

IFRider wrote:Losing Sight of Shore on Netflix. 4 Women row across the Pacific in support of breast cancer.

Rotating shifts of 2 hours rowing, 2 hours sleeping for nearly a year. An excellent film.

Thank you for the heads up. Without it, I might not have watched it last night, and I would have missed a small, but worthwhile, film. :beer

magazinewriter

Postby magazinewriter » Mon May 15, 2017 3:40 pm

The Founder - the story of Ray Kroc and the brothers who actually came up with the idea for McDonalds and opened the first restaurant. Not a documentary at all. I really enjoyed it. Kroc was ruthless. If you rent the DVD, as I did from Redbox, it includes a panel discussion with the actors and the grandsons of the original founders.

20th Century Women with Annette Bening. Very slow but in the end I was glad that I watched it. It is set in 1979 in Santa Barbara and is mostly a study of characters.

magazinewriter

Postby magazinewriter » Mon May 15, 2017 3:49 pm

wilson08 wrote:The Sense of an Ending

A British man pushing 70 revisits the 1960s and a long ago
love after someone bequeaths him a diary in their will.
Jim Broadbent is excellent in the lead. Nice film.
8/10

This sounds interesting. Thanks for mentioning it. I just watched the trailer. I see that it will be on DVD on June 6 and I'll watch for it on Netflix, too.

Random Poster

Postby Random Poster » Mon May 15, 2017 4:00 pm

Loon11 wrote:Recommend Manchester by the Sea, great, although not a happy movie.

I watched it this weekend.

I think that the movie was over-hyped and given too many accolades----it isn't difficult to act "sad," and there was no real point to the movie that I could discern. Glad that I didn't pay any money out of pocket to watch it.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”