What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
bertilak

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby bertilak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Thrifty Femme wrote:Singing in the Rain. The dance scenes were amazing and quite athletic.

That's one my favorite old movies, it's the best movie musical ever in my ignorant opinion. I could do without many of the dance scenes near the end.

I am occasionally (and pleasantly) surprised by the skills on display in those old musicals. My reaction is usually "No wonder those people were famous!"
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:51 pm

If you can appreciate bizarre movies, you might want to try The Greasy Strangler. I can't say we either liked or disliked it, maybe I'm still trying to figure that out. It's definitely memorable.

Koogie

Postby Koogie » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:53 pm

bertilak wrote:I am occasionally (and pleasantly) surprised by the skills on display in those old musicals. My reaction is usually "No wonder those people were famous!"

Apropos: you may or may not have seen this video. A clip of amazing dancers from the era of dance movies set to a modern song.

66 (Old) Movie Dance Scenes Mashup (Mark Ronson-Uptown Funk ft.Bruno Mars) 30MM+ views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1F0lBnsnkE

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:01 pm

bertilak wrote:
Nicolas wrote:My wife and I both loved it. Me especially, as I've been a detectorist myself. There may be a third season, we will see.
http://renewcanceltv.com/detectorists-s ... ming-back/

Well, I would welcome it!

Detectorists has been renewed for a third and final season!
http://renewcanceltv.com/?s=Detectorists

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:55 pm

Paterson

Paterson is a good-hearted, low key bus driver in Paterson, New Jersey
and has a very predictable, unswerving routine. He does have one passion:
in snippets of free time he writes poetry. Paterson meets some intriguing
characters during his prescribed days that add charm to this subtle and
unhurried film. I enjoyed this movie.
7.5/10

Robert The Bruce

Postby Robert The Bruce » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Just watched "The Wedding Ringer" Kevin Hart, Josh Gad, Kaley Cuoco. Funny at times, stupid at other times. I fast forwarded through 2 or 3 parts.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0884732/

Also, watched "Gone Girl" recently. Verdict - I don't know, liked most of it, as others have mentioned ending was unexpected.
The stone age didn't end for lack of stone.

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:13 am

Skinwalkers, Coyote Waits, and Thief of Time, a trilogy of TV movies based on the Tony Hillerman books, mysteries involving Navajo Tribal Police and set in the four corners area. I enjoyed these movies, which are available from Netflix.
Last edited by ruralavalon on Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:15 am

bertilak wrote:OK, not a movie but a 13-episode British TV comedy: detectorists. (Lowercase is how they put it in the opening credits.)

Thank you for this recommendation, I am enjoying this series immensely. Other Brit series I love are The IT Crowd, Black Books, and Snuff Box

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:44 am

Elsebet wrote:
bertilak wrote:OK, not a movie but a 13-episode British TV comedy: detectorists. (Lowercase is how they put it in the opening credits.)

Thank you for this recommendation, I am enjoying this series immensely. Other Brit series I love are The IT Crowd, Black Books, and Snuff Box

The thirteen episodes constitute two seasons. It has been recently announced that there will be a third (and probably final) season coming out at the end of 2017. I don't know when it will hit the streaming services.

I'll check out those others. Do you get them on Netflix? Amazon? Other? That Snuff Box looks unhealthy!
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:49 pm

Last night I watched the documentary Jago: A Life Underwater because it was recommended by a couple friends. Maybe my expectations were too high but I wasn't that impressed.

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:04 pm

bertilak wrote:I'll check out those others. Do you get them on Netflix? Amazon? Other? That Snuff Box looks unhealthy!

IT Crowd and Black Books are streaming on Netflix.

Snuff box is available on disc from Netflix but not streaming. If you liked the Monty Python Undertaker sketch, you will love Snuff Box.

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Elsebet wrote:
bertilak wrote:I'll check out those others. Do you get them on Netflix? Amazon? Other? That Snuff Box looks unhealthy!

Snuff box is available on disc from Netflix but not streaming. If you liked the Monty Python Undertaker sketch, you will love Snuff Box.
I love that aspect of British comedy, taking a really dark subject and laughing at it.

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Snuff box is available on disc from Netflix but not streaming. If you liked the Monty Python Undertaker sketch, you will love Snuff Box. I love that aspect of British comedy, taking a really dark subject and laughing at it.

sid hartha

Postby sid hartha » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:32 pm

wilson08 wrote:Paterson

Paterson is a good-hearted, low key bus driver in Paterson, New Jersey
and has a very predictable, unswerving routine. He does have one passion:
in snippets of free time he writes poetry. Paterson meets some intriguing
characters during his prescribed days that add charm to this subtle and
unhurried film. I enjoyed this movie.
7.5/10

Looks interesting. Thanks for the tip!

Teague

Postby Teague » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:41 pm

sixtyforty wrote:
Thrifty Femme wrote:Get Out, very deep. I need to see it again.

+1 Great plot. Excellent acting. Anyone reading this that want to see the movie.. don't watch the trailer. Gives away too much.

I did go see it twice and that was worthwhile.
Reaction the first time: "Oh, wow, geez! Gotta think about this a little."
Reaction the second time: "Ah-ha! Yep, now I see. Gotta think about this a little more..."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:46 pm

Blue Caprice on Netflix. A story of the D.C. Sniper years ago.
Last edited by abuss368 on Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

High Income Parent

Postby High Income Parent » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:54 pm

We just finished the Netflix series,

A Series of Unfortunate Events

The whole family enjoyed it. It seems tough to find things I can watch with my kids, but we all enjoyed it.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:34 pm

Watched Nocturnal Animals last night, great cast and decent noir flick. I love Michael Shannon in almost everything he does.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:28 pm

Elsebet wrote:Watched Nocturnal Animals last night, great cast and decent noir flick. I love Michael Shannon in almost everything he does.

I'm not a big Michael Shannon fan but if you like him I would recommend Bug... if you like really weird movies.

Bug has Shannon and a young, hot Ashley Judd. It starts off pretty normal but gets progressively weirder and weirder throughout the movie. By the end I was scratching my head going [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] am I even watching...

Calygos

Postby Calygos » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:00 pm

I finally got around to seeing Rogue One Tuesday evening since it was available for rent from the iTunes store. It was as bad as I'd been expecting, but to be fair, I'd completely spoilered it by watching the Red Letter Media videos that discussed it. About the only things I liked about it were the aesthetics and Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen).

LeeInTN

Postby LeeInTN » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:59 am

We watched "Trumbo" and "The Light Between Oceans" this week. Both are excellent though quite different. It helps to have read the novel first.

lostdog

Postby lostdog » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:26 pm

"13 reasons why" on Netflix.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/meditation-modern-life/201507/henry-david-thoreau-simplify-simplify

billthecat

Postby billthecat » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Calygos wrote:I finally got around to seeing Rogue One Tuesday evening since it was available for rent from the iTunes store. It was as bad as I'd been expecting, but to be fair, I'd completely spoilered it by watching the Red Letter Media videos that discussed it. About the only things I liked about it were the aesthetics and Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen).

That imperial droid was the only thing I liked. He had some good lines. The rest was [(removed) --admin LadyGeek].

Calygos

Postby Calygos » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:16 pm

billthecat wrote:
Calygos wrote:I finally got around to seeing Rogue One Tuesday evening since it was available for rent from the iTunes store. It was as bad as I'd been expecting, but to be fair, I'd completely spoilered it by watching the Red Letter Media videos that discussed it. About the only things I liked about it were the aesthetics and Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen).

That imperial droid was the only thing I liked. He had some good lines. The rest was [(removed) --admin LadyGeek].

K2S0 definitely had some good lines and was a far better droid, IMHO, than C3P0 ever was (that cameo was cringeworthy), plus I really like Alan Tudyk (RIP Wash). The movies was beautiful, though, and Mads was criminally underused.

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Just watched "Contact" again.

I hadn't remembered some details quite right, but I sure did remember the essence.

When the Jodie Foster character is testifying at the end, it gets ... deeper than one might have expected.

And then there is the subsequent scene about timing [trying to avoid spoiler here].

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:46 pm

Reasonable Doubt, on Netflix. A crime and suspense thriller with some interesting twists. Samuel L. Jackson has a role. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

upperleftcoast

Postby upperleftcoast » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:44 am

Rust and Bone. French. Very good. Great acting, believable.
How I Ended This Summer. Russian. Pretty good. Again, great acting. Visually stunning (Russian arctic, if you like that) but story a little weak.

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:07 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:I'm not a big Michael Shannon fan but if you like him I would recommend Bug... if you like really weird movies.

Bug has Shannon and a young, hot Ashley Judd. It starts off pretty normal but gets progressively weirder and weirder throughout the movie.

Saw that one, and agree with your consensus. :) Not quite as weird, but still a little off, is Take Shelter.

denismurf

Postby denismurf » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:48 pm

Going In Style just plain did it for me, with lots of chuckles and out loud laughter. It probably helps to be an old geezer who truly believes that many seniors are getting the shaft these days.

The cast is super. No need to watch on a big screen.

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Neruda

A hedonistic Chilean communist/poet/politician plays cat and mouse
with a police detective who is on his trail after communism was outlawed
in 1948 Chile. Billed as a drama/biography it seems more of a satire/comedy
than a historical treatise. Ok but not exceptional.
5/10

market timer

Postby market timer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:06 am

The Fog of War: Eleven Lessons from the Life of Robert S. McNamara (2003)

Watched this on Netflix. I knew nothing of McNamara before watching this documentary. He had a fascinating life. The documentary mostly covers the time period from his role in the Tokyo fire bombings in WW2 to the Vietnam War. Highly recommended.

maria00200

Postby maria00200 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:19 am

"A dog's Purpose." It was heartwarming and made me cry at least 4 times throughout the movie. I highly recommend it.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:55 pm

Last night, I finished watching the first season of Jane the Virgin. The series stars Gina Rodriguez, Andrea Navedo, Yael Groblas, Justin Baldoni,
Ivonne Coll, Brett Dier, Jaime Camil, with voice-over narration by Anthony Mendez.

On the surface, I didn't think that this would be something that would interest me, but in one word, this series is great. Gina Rodriguez is a great and a real find, as is everyone else in the cast, and Anthony Mendez does a hilarious narration. I highly recommend the series. My library has only the first season, but Netflix has both Season One and Season Two. CW currently is airing Season Three, and CW has renewed the series for a fourth season.
Gordon

steve roy

Postby steve roy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:12 am

Watched "Anchors Aweigh" in eye-popping Technicolor for the first time, and the singing and dancing are great. Frank Sinatra taps up a storm with Gene Kelly, and you don't see THAT happen very often. Jerry the mouse cuts a mean rug with Gene as well, but then animated characters don't have to breathe.

The only weak link in the enterprise is the story, which is (at best) semi-coherent. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:05 pm

steve roy wrote:Watched "Anchors Aweigh" in eye-popping Technicolor for the first time, and the singing and dancing are great. Frank Sinatra taps up a storm with Gene Kelly, and you don't see THAT happen very often. Jerry the mouse cuts a mean rug with Gene as well, but then animated characters don't have to breathe. ...

Also enjoyed the movie many times going waaay back. True that animated characters don't have to breathe, but they must look and act as if they' are and doing everything else naturally. Jerry, thanks to Hanna and Barbera, could dance (and skate) like no other animated mouse I've ever seen. See the Academy Award-winning Johann Mouse , also Mice Follies, and Snowbody Loves Me (latter directed by Chuck Jones).
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:46 pm

Schindler's List on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 pm

Teague wrote:
sixtyforty wrote:

+1 Great plot. Excellent acting. Anyone reading this that want to see the movie.. don't watch the trailer. Gives away too much.

Reaction the second time: "Ah-ha! Yep, now I see. Gotta think about this a little more..."

1st viewing. Great horror-comedy. Other than the language, it should be rated PG. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a horror flick, as well as social commentary. :mrgreen:

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:51 am

Hidden Figures.

An excellent movie about three black female "computers" (a job title) who worked for NASA at the beginning of the space program in the late 50's and early 60's.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:33 am

Lion,
A really good movie that both my wife and I enjoyed.
I highly recommend it.
Dan999

MP173

Postby MP173 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:45 am

Started "Better Call Saul" season 2 last night and burned 4 episodes. Not really a movie, but entertaining.

ed

corwin

Postby corwin » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:57 pm

htdrag11 wrote:
Teague wrote:
sixtyforty wrote:

1st viewing. Great horror-comedy. Other than the language, it should be rated PG. I thoroughly enjoyed it as a horror flick, as well as social commentary. :mrgreen:

I saw this movie and "Hidden Figures" on the same weekend. "Get Out" was much more thought-provoking on matters of race. "Hidden Figures" seems to be inspiring to people but it was the same Hollywood formula as seen in so many other movies.

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Fate and the Furious.

One of the stupidest movies I have ever seen. Was dragged there by a friend, who has poor taste in movies.

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:28 pm

La La Land - I'm bias. I'm the kind of person who likes Elvis movies but not your typical Broadway musicals, with the exception of Les Mis and Phantom of the Opera.

With that in mind, I did not find this movie living to the kind of hype being an Oscar winner. There is chemistry between the 2 leads who had done Gangster Squad. How they met and fell in love is not very convincing. Not a jazz fan but the music is OK, not great. The last musical I liked was Moulin Rouge.

If you enjoy nostalgic Hollywood/Bollywood type of movie, this one is for you. It's a family movie for all ages, a rarity. I do appreciate the ending, but not the singing (except the "Audition" performance).
Last edited by htdrag11 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

bowtie

Postby bowtie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:20 pm

I saw a trailer for Truman, and it looks interesting, and no, it is not about Truman Capote, it is film in Spanish with subtitles.

SGM

Postby SGM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:54 am

We just saw in a theater, Going in Style with Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Alan Arkin. This is very funny with actors who seemed to have had a lot of fun making the movie.

SGM

Postby SGM » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:56 am

abuss368 wrote:Blue Caprice on Netflix. A story of the D.C. Sniper years ago.
I lived through the D.C. Sniper so I don't want to see a movie about it.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:44 am

SGM wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Blue Caprice on Netflix. A story of the D.C. Sniper years ago.
I lived through the D.C. Sniper so I don't want to see a movie about it.

I can not imagine.

amateurnovice

Postby amateurnovice » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:50 am

Chef (2014) Jon Favreau, John Leguizamo, Scarlett Johansson. Cute film about a renowned chef that tries to cook things up his way against the prescribed old menu favorites of the restaurant's owner (Dustin Hoffman). He eventually leaves the restaurant after some viral marketing mishaps and goes into the food truck business, going across the country cooking up delicious Cubanos with Leguizamo and his son. Delightful. (4/5)

The D Train (2015) Jack Black, James Marsden. Black stars as a guy that just lived a normal life after college, and as he's helping prepare for his twenty year high school reunion, he sees a Banana Boat sunblock commercial starring his high school friend (Marsden). Mistakingly assuming his actor friend for a true movie star, he sets out across the country to Hollywood to enlist him to save the reunion. Plays more like a film about a midlife crisis that never quite realizes itself, but redeeming qualities of humor exist within the plot. (3/5)

Ruby Ridge (2017) and Oklahoma City (2017). PBS documentaries about the events surrounding both national tragedies. The films are structured logically and clearly. I remember elements of the Oklahoma City bombing from childhood and as an adult was able to understand how the two sieges, Ruby Ridge and Waco, tied into McVeigh's reasoning for the destruction of so many lives. Interviews with survivors and voice-overs from McVeigh shed light on details that were likely too small for the media to take note of apart from the events themselves. (5/5)

Big Dutch

Postby Big Dutch » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:35 am

Although I enjoy film noir (most recently Nocturnal Animals, superb!), my wife has a lighter taste in movies. One movie that we both really enjoyed recently was Song of the Sea. It's an animated film with a beautiful score. The style is more drawn rather than CGI. The story is a mythical quest and I thought it was engrossing and beautiful. PG, family friendly. I'd highly recommend it!

~Big Dutch

magazinewriter

Postby magazinewriter » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:37 pm

A Street Cat Named Bob -- on Netflix

This is based on a true story of a U.K. homeless musician/drug addict who turned his life around with the help of a cat. Heartwarming.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”