What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby VictoriaF » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:30 pm

Phil's Camino, http://philscamino.com/

The film is very inspiring, which i think is true even for those who have not walked the Camino de Santiago.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Manchester by the Sea. Not plot driven, but acting driven, if that is your thing. It is my thing.

Brilliantly acted. Moving, not dramatic, real. Watch it if you want to see good acting, don't watch it if you can't stand having your heart wrenched a bit.

Again, real.
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 am

"La La Land"
Turned it off after 5 minutes.

(uh, so technically I didn't watch)

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:32 pm

Bustoff wrote:"La La Land"
Turned it off after 5 minutes.

(uh, so technically I didn't watch)

I'm not into musicals so I didn't even attempt to watch it.

HomerJ

Postby HomerJ » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Batman vs. Superman Ultimate Edition

I saw the theatrical version in the theater and left underwhelmed.

The Ultimate Edition (basically director's cut) is much better (although it still has some plot holes), but with 30 extra minutes, it holds together much better, and the movie goes from a C- to a solid B+

They couldn't release this edition in theaters because of the length, and because the extra footage changes the rating to R instead of PG-13.

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:08 pm

Here is one oldie but goodie by Sydney Pollack and Robert Mitchum from 1974 - The Yakuza.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073918/?ref_=rvi_tt

Unlike Ridley Scott's Black Rain, Pollack did a lot of research and employed a Japanese team, so we do not get the usual American or Hollywood bias. The ending was a surprise to me, as well as the many twist and turns. Mitchum was a great character actor and I enjoyed this one.

There is a bit of gore but violence was kept to a minimum, except for the finale.

snowshoes

Postby snowshoes » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:11 pm

Unsealed Conspiracy Files 10 various TVDocumentaries on Netflix.

Calygos

Postby Calygos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:22 pm

I just rewatched Margin Call the other night. Really entertaining even though I don't fully understand the finances, especially when they're calling all of their prospects near the end.

Love it when Spock explains to the one boss guy that he's a rocket scientist. :D

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:37 pm

Last night, I finished watching Season Two of Girlfriends' Guide to Divorce. Season One was interesting. Season Two was disappointing. In fact, it was horrible. I don't know what the producers/scriptwriters were thinking.
Gordon

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 pm

Not really a movie, per se, but we've been watching The Crown (2016) on Netflix streaming, and felt I had to say something. It's so good! I don't remember the last time I felt this way about entertainment. You must see it.

sbienkowski

Postby sbienkowski » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:27 pm

Logan. Dystopian, R-rated X-man movie. Good, even if you didn't see or care for the rest of the X-man franchise.
Santa Clarita Diet. Netflix zombie family comedy (zom-com?), series, not a movie.

HIinvestor

Postby HIinvestor » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:28 am

We saw Logan last night. I am unfamiliar with x-men and the whole comic genre, but found it interesting, especially upon learning that Hugh Jackman has been playing this character for 17 years. It was rather dark much of the time but it seemed well done. H loved it, which is why we were there anyway. Personally, I preferred Moana and Hidden Figures, but it's nice to let him have what he prefers sometimes.

jadestruck

Postby jadestruck » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:10 am

John Wick 2.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:17 pm

jadestruck wrote:John Wick 2.

Quite a first post, Hemingway. I look forward to your wit and prose going forward.

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:40 pm

Welcome to the forum :) .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:40 am

Toni Erdmann

A father who is a couple of notches past middle age(and sporting
a Captain Kangaroo hairstyle) is obsessed with pranks and elaborate
jokes sometimes to the chagrin of his ambitious daughter seeking an
upward path in the corporate world. His pranks were his unconventional
way of trying to get closer to his daughter.
The humor is reminiscent of the absurd but creative Peter Sellers/Inspector
Clouseau style only ramped up a few levels. When I saw the movie lasted
2 hours and 42 minutes I was apprehensive but it did not detract at all.
Very unique.
7.5/10

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:46 am

Nicolas wrote:Not really a movie, per se, but we've been watching The Crown (2016) on Netflix streaming, and felt I had to say something. It's so good! I don't remember the last time I felt this way about entertainment. You must see it.

I saw the final Episode 10 a couple of days ago and I am really looking
forward to Season II. Fantastic series.

Youngblood

Postby Youngblood » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:02 am

Captain Fantastic, meh.

Actors all good, but movie is too long and Captain Fantastic's character development is at times inexplicably hard to fathom.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch

High Income Parent

Postby High Income Parent » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:16 am

Temple Grandin

A great story about an amazing lady. It gave me a lot of insight into Autism and what patients and families deal with.
Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work. | | C. S. Lewis

Bylo Selhi

Postby Bylo Selhi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:22 am

gaspony wrote:Temple Grandin

Stars Claire Danes in the title role. She's also the Golden Globe/Emmy-winning star of Homeland where she plays a CIA agent with bipolar disorder. Amazing actress.

denismurf

Postby denismurf » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:17 pm

I just watched 2001; A Space Odyssey for the umpteenth time, on a huge screen with a dynamite sound system. One of the world's many divisions is between people who are mesmerized by this movie and those who aren't. I am among the mesmerized, whose eyes still get a little moist when the bone tossed in the air becomes a space vehicle bound for the moon, accompanied by a Strauss waltz.

Message for the mesmerized: If 2001 returns to a big screen near you, go see it again. The magic is still there.

DSInvestor

Postby DSInvestor » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:22 pm

High Income Parent wrote:Temple Grandin

A great story about an amazing lady. It gave me a lot of insight into Autism and what patients and families deal with.

I saw this several years ago and really enjoyed it. Amazon Prime subscribers can watch it for free on Amazon video. I'll watch it again tonight.

Youngblood

Postby Youngblood » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 pm

High Income Parent wrote:Temple Grandin

Saw this a couple of years ago and thought it was excellent and insightful too. As a special education teacher I have worked with several autistic kids in the Stone Age of autism.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | | Bernard M. Baruch

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:57 pm

Edward Snowden. A really good movie.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dottie57

Postby Dottie57 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:06 pm

Denial. Is a great movie. I purchased it after renting. And I don't do that often.

And for Harry Potter fans, the actor who played Wormtail. Is a main character in this movie.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:30 pm

Mississippi Grind.

I loved it... Ryan Reynolds and Ben Mendenhol (sp?) play a couple of degenerate gamblers driving their way down to New Orleans. Both play their parts perfectly.

I loved it but I can see why some people wouldn't "get" this movie. Free on Prime.

black jack

Postby black jack » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:53 pm

htdrag11 wrote:Here is one oldie but goodie by Sydney Pollack and Robert Mitchum from 1974 - The Yakuza.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073918/?ref_=rvi_tt

Unlike Ridley Scott's Black Rain, Pollack did a lot of research and employed a Japanese team, so we do not get the usual American or Hollywood bias. The ending was a surprise to me, as well as the many twist and turns. Mitchum was a great character actor and I enjoyed this one.

There is a bit of gore but violence was kept to a minimum, except for the finale.

Loved The Yakuza when I saw it in 1974, and again in the 1980s, especially Takakura Ken's performance. Thanks for reminding me of it, I'll have to watch it again.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:12 pm

OK, not a movie but a 13-episode British TV comedy: detectorists. (Lowercase is how they put it in the opening credits.)

A detectorist is someone who looks for lost treasures and/or archeological artifacts with a metal detector. The show centers around two friends (Andy and Lance) who are members of a small detectorist club.

This is the most gentile TV show (excepting Mr. Rogers!) I remember seeing. Try watching it right after something like Hawaii Five-O!

Andy is played by a well-known English actor, Mackenzie Crook who also writes and directs. You may know Crook from the Pirates of the Caribbean films, Game of Thrones and The Office (British version).

Lance is played by Toby Jones, another well-known English actor. He has been in The Hunger Games, Captain America, and Doctor Who, among others.

Believe it or not, Diana Rigg has a small part!

After the first episode I felt I'd seen enough, but something drew me back to it and now I love it. I'm up to episode 9 -- 4 more to go.

I say watch at least the first two episodes. You might get hooked.

It is available on Netflix.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

jadestruck

Postby jadestruck » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:46 pm

ruralavalon wrote:

Welcome to the forum :) .

Thanks Ruralavalon.

Minot

Postby Minot » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:15 am

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:19 am

Minot wrote:.....

I think I saw that.
Gordon

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:23 am

Tonight, on Netflix, I finished watching the fourth and final season of Rectify.

I couldn't get into the first season, nor about half the second season. The lead character kind of bugged me. Then I started to get a feel for his role and the series. By Season Three, I was hooked. I hated to see the series end. It had to, though, because the storyline had run its course.
Gordon

Koogie

Postby Koogie » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:55 am

bertilak wrote:OK, not a movie but a 13-episode British TV comedy: detectorists. (Lowercase is how they put it in the opening credits.)
A detectorist is someone who looks for lost treasures and/or archeological artifacts with a metal detector. The show centers around two friends (Andy and Lance) who are members of a small detectorist club.
This is the most gentile TV show (excepting Mr. Rogers!) I remember seeing. Try watching it right after something like Hawaii Five-O!

I enjoyed it too. A nice slice of English country life and especially neat in light of the recent actual incredible finds by detectorists in the UK. Some amazing bronze age hordes.

Although, surely you meant genteel and not Gentile ? :o

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:40 am

The Thin Man, with William Powell and Myrna Loy.

Inventor disappears just before daughter's wedding date, both his ex-wife and girlfriend are suspected of foul play, his daughter asks amateur detective friend to help.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Flymore

Postby Flymore » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:46 am

10 Cloverfield Lane

Really good movie. Lots of twists in the plot - hard to figure out the ending
Would recommend it. :D

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:42 am

Koogie wrote:
bertilak wrote:OK, not a movie but a 13-episode British TV comedy: detectorists. (Lowercase is how they put it in the opening credits.)

I enjoyed it too. A nice slice of English country life and especially neat in light of the recent actual incredible finds by detectorists in the UK. Some amazing bronze age hordes.

Although, surely you meant genteel and not Gentile ? :o

Oops! I meant gentle, like Mr. Rogers, but not genteel. genteel: polite, refined, or respectable, often in an affected or ostentatious way.
The characters are (mostly) polite and respectable but not refined, affected or ostentatious.

The use of some of the words and phrases I learned from Top Gear (and now Grand Tour) probably rule out refined: tosser, wanker, etc. The good old Anglo Saxon F-word gets an occasional airing.
Last edited by bertilak on Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:52 am

gkaplan wrote:Tonight, on Netflix, I finished watching the fourth and final season of Rectify.

I couldn't get into the first season, nor about half the second season. The lead character kind of bugged me. Then I started to get a feel for his role and the series. By Season Three, I was hooked. I hated to see the series end. It had to, though, because the storyline had run its course.

I'll watch anything with Abigail Spencer.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:07 am

ruralavalon wrote:The Thin Man, with William Powell and Myrna Loy.

Inventor disappears just before daughter's wedding date, both his ex-wife and girlfriend are suspected of foul play, his daughter asks amateur detective friend to help.

If you liked this first of the film series, which may be the best (great scene where Powell shoots the Christmas tree ornaments), check out the rest. Two I especially like are Another Thin Man, with more fun, slightly goofy scenes at a nightclub and an apartment house with Marjorie Main, and After The Thin Man with Jimmy Stewart in an early-career role.
Last edited by Fallible on Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

CyclingDuo

Postby CyclingDuo » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:14 am

Hidden Figures

Loved it!

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:55 pm

Zodiac. Beautifully made, excellent screenplay, great cast, wonderful acting, but the purpose of it all escapes me. Or maybe it's just director David Fincher who escapes me since I had a similar reaction to his psych thriller Gone Girl. The murders were horrifying, but two scenes almost as frightening were the interview of the main suspect by the three detectives, and the silent meeting between Graysmith and the suspect. John Carroll Lynch as the suspect was oustanding.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:05 pm

Get Out, very deep. I need to see it again.

market timer

Postby market timer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:37 pm

Saw Manchester by the Sea. Didn't really do much for me. Kind of tired of the theme of working class self-destruction. People praise the acting, but it felt off to me. The flashbacks were jarring. Not a bad movie, just a bit overhyped, in my opinion.

KidneyMD

Postby KidneyMD » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:00 am

Watched Moonlight last night (on Amazon Prime to rent). So glad this got Best Picture instead of La La Land (yes, I wasn't that impressed with La La Land).

avenger

Postby avenger » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:25 am

Saw Logan last night. Was disappointed. Without all of the gratuitous violence, there really wasn't much of a story there.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [3 fund portfolio: VTI, VXUS, SV fund (yield 3.01%)]

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:29 am

Lucky Number Slevin, on Netflix. This movie was reviewed as a poor attempted copy of Pulp Fiction. While I can see the similarities in the overall approach, it's very different. The plot is interesting and has some clever twists. There was even some humor at times.

Good acting can make up for a lot of deficiencies. Who's in it? Bruce Willis, Marvin Freeman, Sir Ben Kingsley, and Lucy Liu. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:42 pm

Kubo and the Two Strings. Really enjoyed it. Great story. Actually thought I was watching a dubbed version of a Japanese film, surprised to learn it's an American original.

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:55 pm

My wife turned off parental controls on my Amazon Prime account because she was tired of putting in the password, and I found out this morning when I received and email that my 5yr old daughter bought "Trolls" on my account. $17 for a movie I had no interest in seeing. My daughter liked it.

GoldenFinch

Postby GoldenFinch » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:53 pm

Executive Suite with Barbara Stanwick. I liked it a lot.

Lion. Spent the whole movie crying. Really good movie, but I don't like crying.

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:19 pm

Caught Run Boy Run on Netflix.
A German 2013 production (original title: Lauf Junge Lauf).

Based on a memoir documenting the incredible story of an 8 year old boy who escapes the Warsaw ghetto in 1942 and survives by his wits in the countryside.

Haunting. Great acting and cinematography. Highly recommended.

If you liked The Pianist or Angela's Ashes, you have to see this too.

MrNewEngland

Postby MrNewEngland » Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:42 pm

Get Out.

I only saw it because it has such a buzz about it and people keep raving about it.

I don't get what all the fuss is about. It was fine, but nothing special or particularly original. There was never a great tell or reveal and I actually though almost everything was very predictable.

YMMV

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”