What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
MP173

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by MP173 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:02 pm

Watched "Bridge of Spys".

Excellent look at the cold war and the Gary Powers saga.

Lots of interesting comparisons of late 1950s to today...
Building a wall, "all lives matter", civil liberties, homeland security, etc.

Tom Hanks was great as always, as was the actor who played the Russian spy.

ed

KidneyMD

Post by KidneyMD » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:22 pm

Saw "I Am Not Your Negro" yesterday.

Amazing.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:43 pm

Just watched

Lost in Translation

again, getting ready for our first trip to Japan in the spring.

For some reason, it seemed a bit more of a "downer" than the previous time we watched it (last year).
It was still wonderful to see the various locations and activities, and it definitely further whetted our appetites for this trip.

OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS for movies about/involving/set in Japan would be welcome!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:51 pm

ResearchMed wrote:OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS for movies about/involving/set in Japan would be welcome!

Silence. Not contemporary Japan, however.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:49 pm

ResearchMed wrote:OTHER RECOMMENDATIONS for movies about/involving/set in Japan would be welcome!

If you want contemporary Japan, these come to mind:

Jiro Dreams of Sushi [a documentary]
Tampopo
A Taxing Woman

And of course, just about everything directed by Kurosawa (but his best work IMO is not contemporary).

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:57 pm

House Blend wrote:A Taxing Woman.

I saw this film many years ago. I was struck by the contrast between how this woman was very nice and polite, and at the same time she was highly dedicated to and effective in her job which involved serious confrontations with other people.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

StormShadow

Post by StormShadow » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Arrival

Kind of a slower, creepier version of Contact. Enjoyed Contact more. Thought Arrival was ok, but will likely pass on getting the DVD. I had a similar response to A.I. and Interstellar.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:50 pm

StormShadow wrote:Arrival

Kind of a slower, creepier version of Contact. Enjoyed Contact more. Thought Arrival was ok, but will likely pass on getting the DVD. I had a similar response to A.I. and Interstellar.

Haven't seen Contact, but I greatly enjoyed Arrival. I may see it again this week with a friend who missed it.
I wasn't as impressed with either A.I. or Interstellar, though both were good movies. I preferred Arrival to Interstellar, and Interstellar to A.I. .

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:44 am

The Maltese Falcon, with Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet.

I love this classic.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:06 am

ruralavalon wrote:The Maltese Falcon, with Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet.

I love this classic.

It is a classic because of the actors AND because of the great director John Huston. He's a really good actor too. See Chinatown.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 am

bertilak wrote:
ruralavalon wrote:The Maltese Falcon, with Humphrey Bogart, Mary Astor, Peter Lorre and Sidney Greenstreet.

I love this classic.

It is a classic because of the actors AND because of the great director John Huston. He's a really good actor too. See Chinatown.

That and Casablanca are two of my all-time favorite movies.
Gordon

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:21 pm

madbrain wrote:
StormShadow wrote:Arrival

Haven't seen Contact, but I greatly enjoyed Arrival. I may see it again this week with a friend who missed it.
I wasn't as impressed with either A.I. or Interstellar, though both were good movies. I preferred Arrival to Interstellar, and Interstellar to A.I. .

StormShadow nailed it with his description of Arrival, even though I hadn't thought of it like that until I read his/her post. If you liked Arrival I would recommend watching Contact.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:38 pm

La La Land. I knew nothing about it except the title, which turned me off. But DW wanted to see it.... so we did. We both loved it!
JW
Retired at Last

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:58 pm

DH and I just got back from Hidden Figures.

Amazing.

The story... the casting... the acting...

Wow.

We both had tears in our eyes at the end, and there were some powerful feelings throughout.
(Also brought back some unpleasant memories of life in the '50's.)

Now to read the book, which I have waiting here.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

William4589

Post by William4589 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:29 am

Passengers

- Excellent CGI and beautiful cinematography (think of the movie Oblivion without the drones)
- Great chemistry between Chris Pratt & Jennifer Lawrence
- Good Sci-Fi story with no battle scenes and that's a nice change to me
- The movie Arrival was more though provoking but Passengers is just easy watching
- Still at the theater but should be on DVD soon

Conch55

Post by Conch55 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:01 am

Eye In The Sky - a provocative film dealing with the politics and reality of drone warfare.

TedSwippet

Post by TedSwippet » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:13 pm

Departures.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am

Finding Babel

Isaac Babel's writings are subversive masterpieces, challenging the ideology of the early Soviet Union and resulting in his arrest and execution in 1940. On the 75th anniversary of Babel's execution, Andrei Malaev-Babel went on a journey to visit places associated with his gransfather's life, work, and legacy, including Russia, Ukraine, Poland (parts that are now Ukraine), France, and Brighton Beach, NYC.

This was a special sneak-peak premier in the Washington, DC area, followed by a discussion with Andrei Malaev-Babel and the director David Novak, and a reception. More information is available at http://www.findingbabel.com/

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:50 pm

Miss Sloane is not my type of movie, but Jessica Chastain always delivers. It was unfortunate that most folks did not see this one but it was entertaining for a political film when we had enough of it last year.

This is one powerful female lead role. After seeing Arrival, it's hard to compare these 2 leading ladies. The former might be longer but has a much fast er pace than Arrival that had some dull moments.

Both are worthy. I enjoyed brainless movie like Doctor Strange more, pure pop corn fun with fantastic CGI than Arrival.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:51 pm

20th Century Women

A collection of 1979 characters trying to find their niche and
the meaning of life. The central character is a middle age
woman (who smokes incessantly) dealing with her teenage son
who is becoming more alienated from her.
There are some occasional gems of humor but crude dialog and
an awfully timeworn theme put this in the "not recommended"
category from my perspective.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:36 pm

Saw Arrival, quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen. Take the Rotten Tomatos review with a BIG grain of salt.

rene

Post by rene » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Hunter Gatherer..... excellent movie, stellar performances

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:18 pm

Get Out. Inspired satire. The movie is both scary and funny. Highly recommended.

http://www.newyorker.com/goings-on-abou ... es/get-out

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:45 pm

The Accountant. Really good.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:45 am

Magnus, on Netflix. It's a documentary how the Norwegian chess champion, Magnus Carlsen, got his title. The language is listed as English, but that doesn't cover some of the personal interviews which are in Norwegian.* If you don't understand Norwegian, turn on the subtitles at the start of the movie.

It won a few awards and is worth watching. I liked the up-close and personal perspective, including some insight into real life of the cities he visited.

I thought Somm was a better documentary, but you really need to understand wine to appreciate it. You don't need to understand chess to watch Magnus.

* I don't know the exact spoken language. Background info is here: The Norwegian language
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Had a bad day today. Came home and watched "A Street Cat Named Bob", a truly feel good movie based on a biography.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3606888/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Bob stole most of the scenes. Ginger cats are more friendly in nature. The director Roger Spottiswoode has 2 other animal films, Turner and Hooch, and Midnight Sun (polar bear), as well as 007 movie.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:02 pm

bertilak wrote:
amateurnovice wrote:There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane (2011). Documentary about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway car crash in which 8 people were killed including 4 children. If you haven't heard of this before, I would recommend researching the accident prior to watching the documentary. The Wikipedia on it is quite thorough. The details that lead to the events of the accident aren't investigated thoroughly in the documentary, in my opinion. The documentary also doesn't discuss what I feel would've made a more compelling film, that being the denial the remaining members of the Schuler family. It's something of a mystery, but I think that it could be resolved if the widower and sister-in-law would be more forthcoming with the events of the camping trip prior to the accident. (3/5)

I have traveled ALL of The Taconic State Parkway many, many times and am quite familiar with it, or at least as it was 20+ years ago.
It is a divided four-lane road with the north and south bound lanes widely separated from each other by wild, rough, country (woods, cliffs and other rocky features). It really is a "parkway." It actually intersects the Appalachian Trail.

There are many places where you cannot see the opposite lanes. The two lanes going in one direction can easily be mistaken for a simple two lane country road. Old country roads intersect it at right angles with nothing more than stop signs at the intersection. (I think they have put in some overpasses.) The stop signs at the north and south bound lanes can be many yards apart with the second sign not even visible when stopped at the first. It would be VERY easy to turn onto the the parkway in the wrong direction, especially by someone in a confused state as described by that Wikipedia write-up. Parts of the road have sharp, steep, bends requiring more than normal concentration to navigate safely, even on a clear sunny day. 85 mph could be a challenge!

That and, you know, completely stoned drunk.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:09 pm

Jaws (1975) Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Scheider. Obviously, unless you've been living on Mars the last forty years, you've either heard about it or seen it. I haven't seen it since childhood, but back then I probably saw it hundreds of times. Of course, now it's a little dated, and at times, a little hokey. BUT - the parts of it that are suspenseful, like the build-up just before the second major attack with the boy on the raft, are still just as startling. I appreciated the back and forth between Dreyfuss and Shaw more now as well. 5/5

P.S.

I went on YouTube after watching it to watch the ending of Jaws 4: The Revenge because I forgot how the final movie ended, or rather how the shark was killed. I know those movies dropped off very steeply in quality after the first one, but holy hell, that was the worst ending ever. Just go watch it on YouTube but fast forward to finale instead of watching the mindless build-up beforehand.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:58 pm

amateurnovice wrote:Jaws (1975) Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Scheider. Obviously, unless you've been living on Mars the last forty years, you've either heard about it or seen it. I haven't seen it since childhood, but back then I probably saw it hundreds of times. Of course, now it's a little dated, and at times, a little hokey. BUT - the parts of it that are suspenseful, like the build-up just before the second major attack with the boy on the raft, are still just as startling. I appreciated the back and forth between Dreyfuss and Shaw more now as well. 5/5

P.S.

I went on YouTube after watching it to watch the ending of Jaws 4: The Revenge because I forgot how the final movie ended, or rather how the shark was killed. I know those movies dropped off very steeply in quality after the first one, but holy hell, that was the worst ending ever. Just go watch it on YouTube but fast forward to finale instead of watching the mindless build-up beforehand.

There are some movies that, if I run across one of them on TV, I am almost sure to start watching from whatever point they happen to be at. Jaws is one of those, especially if Robert Shaw or Richard Dreyfuss is on screen. Both those guys brought a real intensity, each in their own way, to the screen.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:11 pm

amateurnovice wrote:Jaws (1975) Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss, Roy Scheider. Obviously, unless you've been living on Mars the last forty years, you've either heard about it or seen it. I haven't seen it since childhood, but back then I probably saw it hundreds of times. Of course, now it's a little dated, and at times, a little hokey. BUT - the parts of it that are suspenseful, like the build-up just before the second major attack with the boy on the raft, are still just as startling. I appreciated the back and forth between Dreyfuss and Shaw more now as well. 5/5

P.S.

The Deep

Worth it just for the first five minutes: a young still gorgeous Jacqueline Bissett swimming around underwater in just a thin white t shirt.

All joking aside it's a pretty decent movie. Young couple goes scuba diving and stumbles upon a piece of a treasure. They try to find out what they've found and get it for themselves while trying to keep it out of the hands of locals.

Think "Into the Blue" but from the 70's.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:10 pm

Hell or High Water - really enjoyed this dark comedy. Although it is supposed to be a thriller I found the characters very funny most of the time, which is why I say dark comedy.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Ivanhoe, the 1952 movie. Interesting.

I strongly suspect Sir Walter Scott and his 1820 novel Ivanhoe as been the ancestor of most popular ideas of how knights and kings and minstrels and jesters and Robin Hood talked and acted. (In A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, Mark Twain certainly was familiar with La Mort d'Arthur but I suspect it of being more of a burlesque on Ivanhoe than La Mort d'Arthur).

Similarly, I suspect the movie as being the fount of our visual and cinematic ideas of all that stuff. I was too young to be aware of it--I remember a big deal being made about the Charlton Heston Ben-Hur, but not Ivanhoe, and it's a more-or-less forgotten movie now. However, it was a fairly big deal at the time. In "glorious Technicolor" and, yes, that was the wording in the ads. Most expensive movie MGM had made, big-risk effort, Technicolor, built an entire castle; Elizabeth Taylor when she was a big star but not yet a superstar, Joan Fontaine, Robert Taylor who I guess was big; Emlyn Williams, who was a very big deal on the live stage, as the jester Wamba. Rave review by Bosley Crowther.
Producer Pandro S. Berman and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer have fetched a motion picture that does them, Scott and English history proud... those who emerge most triumphant are the producers of this film—they and the myriad able craftsmen and actors who helped to achieve this brilliantly colored tapestry of drama and spectacle, now on the Music Hall's screen. But Sir Walter is not in any way slighted in this bursting re-creation of his tale of English knights and ladies, of twelfth-century kings and knaves. As a matter of fact, his stirring story of regal intrigues and factional feuds, of jousting and storming of castles and the wooing of beautiful maids, is surprisingly well reconstructed...
Well, OK. So it's not bad but it's sort of boring because we've seen the visual and dramatic ideas copied so often since then.

It's like the great mystery of special effects. Why is it that the special effects in a movie like Conquest of Space or even the earliest Star Wars, that looked totally convincing at the time look cheesy and fake now? I think the answer is because we don't see what's wrong with the special effects but we do see that they have the same "look" as other things that we know are special effects. We may not recognize that something was done with matte paintings, but we recognize everything done with matte paintings as having the same "look."

Anyway: watchable, and interesting to see how they cut down the plot to fit the movie. For example, the castle, Torquilstone, has to burn down, and they don't have time to put in the character who does it or the long plot machinery that explains why she does it, so they leave that out. During a swordfight, someone happens to knock over a five-foot-high ceramic jar, shaped to be as tippy as possible, which has been left conveniently near a grate and fire so that the contents, which appear to be highly flammable, catch fire.

There are these impressive scenes of really a lot of archers, with the air really full of arrows. But the problem is that it looks as if the arrows are made of Nerf. They don't seem to go very fast, and they kind of turn sideways in flight. Of course then we switch to a closeup in which arrows slam convincingly deep into solid wood with a dramatic THOCK! (They knew how to do sound design in 1952).

But, oh, man, there's every cliche you can ever imagine, Saxon kings eating turkey legs with their fingers and feeding scraps to the dogs, and Bad Guys who nevertheless wouldn't dream of breaking their word because they are chivalrous, etc. Some interesting handling of the antisemitism theme. Rebecca and Rowena are almost BFF's despite both loving Ivanhoe...

I don't recommend it except as being "kinda interesting."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:38 pm

Elsebet wrote:Hell or High Water - really enjoyed this dark comedy. Although it is supposed to be a thriller I found the characters very funny most of the time, which is why I say dark comedy.

Agree.
All the Best, | Joe

spin_echo

Post by spin_echo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:35 pm

John Wick 2

I liked about 1/3 of John Wick 2. The body count and endless shots to the head became a little too much. And, John Wick seemed to become more and more like a "superman". B-.

By comparison, I though John Wick was A- as far as action flicks go

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Not new, but I just watched Interstellar - and found it fascinating. So much so that I've been watching How The Universe Works on the Sci channel and reading various books on the universe ever since (about 3 weeks). Delightfully complex (for my peanut brain), I have to watch some episodes more than once, and there are some knowns and theories that may always be beyond my comprehension.

You only live once...

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:12 pm

^^^ I had a different opinion. Subject: What Movie Have You Recently Watched? (Aug 02, 2015)

LadyGeek wrote:Interstellar. The opinions in this thread run from "best" to "worst" movie ever. No doubt, it's the worst movie ever - at least for those above "B" grade production quality. Then again, maybe not.

They couldn't get any scientific concepts right. From launch, to landing and taking off, to black hole, it was just totally wrong. No, it was not so bad a movie that it was fun to watch, it was just bad.

The last part of the movie was the worst allusion to 2001 A Space Odyssey I've ever seen. I'll bet Stanley Kubrick rolled over in his grave when this movie came out.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

travellight

Post by travellight » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:52 pm

I finally saw La La Land, right before the Oscars. I loved it.

d0gerz

Post by d0gerz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:27 am

jginseattle wrote:Get Out. Inspired satire. The movie is both scary and funny. Highly recommended.

http://www.newyorker.com/goings-on-abou ... es/get-out

Saw it tonight, great movie!

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:39 am

The Accoutant. You have to pay attention.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:38 am

Allied (2016) Brad Pitt, Marion Cotillard. A laughable waste of time. Don't bother. Watch Casablanca again instead.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:54 am

Nicolas wrote:A laughable waste of time.

Brad Pitt cast as an RCAF intelligence officer from Québec working with the French resistance? 'Nuff said. You've been warned. :oops:

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:26 am

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ I had a different opinion. Subject: What Movie Have You Recently Watched? (Aug 02, 2015)

LadyGeek wrote:Interstellar. The opinions in this thread run from "best" to "worst" movie ever. No doubt, it's the worst movie ever - at least for those above "B" grade production quality. Then again, maybe not.

They couldn't get any scientific concepts right. From launch, to landing and taking off, to black hole, it was just totally wrong. No, it was not so bad a movie that it was fun to watch, it was just bad.

The last part of the movie was the worst allusion to 2001 A Space Odyssey I've ever seen. I'll bet Stanley Kubrick rolled over in his grave when this movie came out.

It's a poor documentary, but then Hollywood features usually are. It was certainly far fetched, but wormholes, tesseracts and many other depictions aren't known, we don't know what's right or wrong. You reference 2001 A Space Odyssey, considered a great movie, no more scientifically correct...

I guess what I liked about Interstellar wasn't the movie itself, it was the curiousity the movie piqued in me to read and learn what we do know, and theorize, about the universe. Mind boggling stuff.
You only live once...

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 pm

The Quiet Man, with John Wayne, Maureen O'Hara, and Victor McLaglen. Directed by John Ford.

An Irish-American boxer has quit prize fighting after killing an opponent in the ring, returns to his native Irish village to live, and romances a local spinster over the violent objections of her brother.

My wife was surprised to see John Wayne playing someone other than a cowboy.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:02 am

Topper Returns, with Carole Landis, Joan Blondell, Roland Young, Billie Burke, and Eddie Anderson.

A funny, almost slapstick comedy/mystery set in an old seaside mansion on a wintry night.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:28 am

The Physician, on Netflix. Set in the medieval time frame, a healer (barber) travels to Persia seeking training from the word's best physician. Ben Kingsley plays one of the lead roles. I liked it.

anoop

Post by anoop » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:49 am

Geneyus

Post by Geneyus » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:40 pm

P.S.

We just watched The Shallows with Blake Lively on Netflix. It's basically a Jaws remake, but not as good. There are several parts in the movie where they zoom up on her pretty face or her body as she undresses to surf in the ocean. The movie wasn't totally bad, but they cheapened it with the "hot chick" scenes. I wouldn't watch it twice.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:03 pm

" American Pastoral", a unique dark drama.
All the Best, | Joe

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:30 am

A Shot in the Dark, with Peter Sellers, Elke Sommer, and Herbert Lom. Directed by Blake Edwards.

This is a fun comedy/mystery in the "pink panther" series featuring the Inspector Clouseau character.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:51 pm

I just finished watching Sully. Amazing real life story... but I'd give the movie just a B- or C+. Hanks acting was superior as usual however. His on screen wifes acting I could do without.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282