What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Onion

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Onion » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:38 pm

Captain Fantastic

Recommended.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:34 pm

Sexy Beast.
An offbeat film with Ben Kingsley in a particularly sinister role. Excellent.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:04 pm

A very strong cast and some positive reviews may lead you to believe that Nocturnal Animals is worth seeing. You would be mistaken.

abstractionjackson

Post by abstractionjackson » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:35 pm

Finally watched A Most Violent Year last night. I was pleasantly surprised by the surplus of drama and lack of violent scenes. Great film. It opened my eyes to heating oil fraud too, which I never realized was "a thing."

PortAlice

Post by PortAlice » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:46 pm

Just finished watching "For The Love of Spock," on Netflix ... and was very impressed. Directed by Leonard Nimoy's son Adam, who experienced a lot of highs and lows through the years in his relationship with his dad, this documentary is open, honest but avoids being maudlin. Overall fun and upbeat, and a great look at a human being who became a pop culture icon. Recommended!
Last edited by PortAlice on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Bogleheads,

We have been watching "Narcos" on Netflix. The Netflix original is based on the empire of the Pablo Escobar. I have found the show excellent and very interesting.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:46 pm

The other Netflix original series that we are presently watching is Season 4 of "Orange is the New Black".
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:28 pm

^^^ I binge watched that one. This is a mature rated dark comedy and might not be for everyone.

On the literally other end of the spectrum, I'm watching the original 1939 "The Wizard of Oz" live now on TNT. There's nothing like watching a classic when you're young, then watching it again many years later. The phrase "I don't believe we're in Kansas anymore" is from this movie.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

wilson08

Post by wilson08 » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:00 pm

Girl Asleep

Surreal and sometimes bizarre Australian film about an awkward
but likable teenage girl coming of age. Set in the 1970s the movie
is replete with the music, culture, and gaudy clothes of that decade.
Lots of fantasy characters and scenarios that go in and out of reality.
A touch of the Napoleon Dynamite mode of humor. If you like
off-beat style movies you may enjoy this.
7/10

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:44 pm

The Night Manager. It is one of the best things I have seen on TV for some time. I'm watching it on Amazon streaming.

I will assume a TV mini-series counts as a movie. This format seems to outclass any new movies I have seen for many a year. I guess that's because big-screen spectacles, the place where movies shine, no longer grab me (as much). There needs to be more than that for me. That's not to say it doesn't have some spectacle. See especially episode 5 where the power of modern military weaponry is on display.

This is a suspenseful spy drama based on the John a le Carré novel. It is more action packed than the 2011 movie Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy, also based on his (famous) novel and executive produced by le Carré himself. That too is excellent. Even so, there is a lot of le Carré-style intrigue in The Night Manager. That sets the tone.

The artistry of the opening credits alone should not be missed even if the series as a whole is not your cup of tea. I often fast forward opening credits after I've seen them a couple of times. I don't do that here.

So far I've seen 5 out of 6 episodes so I don't know how it ends, nor even if it does end at 6 episodes.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:15 pm

The Kennel Murder Case, with William Powell and Mary Astor.

Phil Vance investigates, a locked room murder mystery. You have to pay attention or you get lost.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:32 pm

The Last Man Standing, a TV series with Tim Allen.

We have watched 70 + episodes on Netflix, I think it's hilarious. Tim Allen is father of three daughters -- a single mother, a very girly college student, and a high school tomboy. His wife is a geologist for an energy company. He is drowning in estrogen at home, and works in marketing at a very guy-oriented chain of outdoor stores. This is entertaining.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Inferno- adaptation of Dan Browns novel. Tom Hanks and Obie as the director/producer
Jack Reacher #2. - Tom Cruise and Cobie Smulders, the How-IMet-Your-Mother, girl.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

denismurf

Post by denismurf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:41 am

denismurf wrote:Another plug for Arrival, even though there were too many unnecessary implausibilities for my taste by the end.

I beg to differ with denismurf"s lukewarm assessment of Arrival.

I watched it again tonight, and its acting, effects, music, and suspense just blew me away. Strangely, knowing in advance what was going on made it possible for me to accept that this was a combination of science fiction and fantasy.

And what a brilliant combination! This one is definitely not for children. Again. be sure to see in a theater.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:03 pm

Spectral, a Netflix original. Just release on Netflix. An invader type of movie.
Rev90517; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

5th_Dimension

Post by 5th_Dimension » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:12 pm

itstoomuch wrote:Spectral, a Netflix original. Just release on Netflix. An invader type of movie.

I thought this was very well made. Netflix is really doing good original material.

Saphomd

Post by Saphomd » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 pm

I dont know if this counts as a movie, but I just finished watching on DVD:

The Grateful Dead, View from the Vault 111 (From the Shoreline in Mountain View, CA 1990).

I really enjoyed it.

Thank you.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:37 pm

A Christmas Spirit, Netflix, A formula Christmas story. All Christmas stories are good. Girl meets boy. :happy

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:31 pm

A Midsummer Night's Dream (1999), with Kevin Kline, Calista Flockhart, Christian Bale, and Michelle Pfeiffer.

This is a fun movie version of the Shakespeare play. Four lovers and six actors are manipulated by fairies.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:48 am

Computer Chess (2013)

Highly original documentary-style film based on a computer chess tournament one weekend in 1984. I enjoyed it.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:46 pm

Imageek2 wrote:
itstoomuch wrote:Spectral, a Netflix original. Just release on Netflix. An invader type of movie.

I thought this was very well made. Netflix is really doing good original material.

Spectral, on Netflix. I agree, it was very well made. The end of the movie, after the last "big" event, was especially artistic.

Does the writer / producer have a sense of humor only engineers will understand? I nearly rolled over laughing at the "let's reverse the polarity" to get a critical piece of equipment working. Also, building what's needed from piles of scrap parts doesn't work as well as it does in the movies.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:54 pm

^FYI, Earth, will soon undergo a polarity reversal which in itself isn't remarkable. It's the brief time when there will be a polar neutrality that worries me. :idea:

slowmoney

Post by slowmoney » Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:21 pm

My son, daughter and I just saw, "Rogue One".

They said, "Best ending to a Stars Wars film ever." I tend to agree.

Also, he said the best part of "The Force Awakens" was when Chewbacca got ticked. Ha!

Julieta

Post by Julieta » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:38 pm

The Night Manager. Wonderful!
Keep It Simple

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:36 pm

slowmoney wrote:My son, daughter and I just saw, "Rogue One".
They said, "Best ending to a Stars Wars film ever." I tend to agree.
Also, he said the best part of "The Force Awakens" was when Chewbacca got ticked. Ha!

+1 Much, much better than The Force Awakens. I agree with some reviewers who call it more of a war movie set in the Star Wars galaxy.

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:47 am

"Miss Sloane" with Jessica Chastain

I wanted to like it more than I did. Performances are solid, but everybody talks like they've just written out their little speech and committed it to memory. This makes the proceedings a wee bit stilted. (However, much of the talk is entertaining).

On the plus side, production values are good, and it covers a subject not often seen in movies: lobbyists pushing and shoving to get federal legislation passed. And the kicker at the end is nice.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 am

The Americans on Amazon Prime. It takes place during the Cold war Reagen era. Soviet spies completing missions in the United States. Very good series.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:19 pm

"Philomena" It is a true story

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:38 pm

lostdog wrote:The Americans on Amazon Prime. It takes place during the Cold war Reagen era. Soviet spies completing missions in the United States. Very good series.

It's not a very good series. It's a great series.
Gordon

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 pm

Spectral on Netflix. Great action sci fi.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:53 pm

"Florence Foster Jenkins," with Meryl Streep. Very good, and of course has sent me to the library for a couple of biographies to help me sort out what's factual and what's storytelling.

I'm not sure if this counts as a movie, and whether it will appear again or be released on DVD or what, but I saw "George Takei's Allegiance: The Broadway Musical on the Big Screen," i.e. a well-done filming of a stage performance. The musical is set during the days of the Japanese-American internment camps during the Second World War, and is loosely based on George Takei's personal experiences. It had me in tears.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Allied: way better than I expected, WWII spy/thriller/romance with Brad Pitt and Marian Cotillard that was well put together and had enjoyable references to Casablanca.

Miss Sloane: Jessica Chastain makes pretty much everything she's in better, and this movie was enjoyable enough even if it wasn't amazing. It felt like an extended episode of The Newsroom, which maybe isn't a terrific endorsement.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:06 am

jginseattle wrote:A very strong cast and some positive reviews may lead you to believe that Nocturnal Animals is worth seeing. You would be mistaken.

I saw it a week ago, and greatly enjoyed it, though there is much left unexplained. The story within the story alone is better than many horror movies, IMO.

This weekend, I saw 3 movies :

Jackie . Great performances, but just couldn't get into it very much. Perhaps because I'm not a contemporary.

Rogue One . Just couldn't get myself to care for this movie. There is not one likeable character the entire time. And they are all very forgettable. I was glad when it was over and with the way it ended, but that alone can't redeem what preceded. Even the score was disappointing. John Williams was not commissioned for it, and it really shows, in a bad way. I liked last year's "The Force Awakens" much more than this.

Miss Sloane. I would easily call this one of the best movies of the year. A great performance from Jessica Chastain. Very entertaining and full of surprises.

The movie has gotten only decent reviews from critics, which surprised me. But the user ratings are downright horrible, which apparently owes to its topic - gun control - a subject that's still controversial in this country, but long settled in the rest of the developed world. Most of the bad user reviews are from people who have not seen the film and have no intention of ever seeing it. Ignore them, and don't let them stop you from seeing this really entertaining political thriller.

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:44 pm

Black Hawk Down (2001). Powerful film about how our soldiers were betrayed by Somalia.

peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:49 pm

Blindness. A movie about everyone in the world suddenly going blind, except for one lady. Fantastically filmed movie, quite dark though.

LeeInTN

Post by LeeInTN » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:24 pm

"Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon" -- If you are a music fan or are interested in the entertainment industry and the cost of fame, this is very well done.

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:41 pm

Cocktail (1988). Great movie that features Tom Cruise's finest performance as the last barman poet while being mentored via "Coughlin's Laws."

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:18 pm

Again, TV shows rather than "official" movies.

Two COMPLETELY different takes on murder mysteries:

1. Wallander: Dark and (mostly) dismal police show featuring a detective (Kurt Wallander) who has lost his wife and takes his cases perhaps too personally. It takes place in (and is filmed in) Sweden but is produced by the BBC. Everyone speaks English but all road signs and other written material are in Swedish! I expect it's dubbed in Swedish when shown in Sweden. When I saw the first episode I thought I would not bother with another (too depressing?) but something in the back of my head made take another look and now I am just short of being a binge watcher!

2. Agatha Raisin: Light and (mostly) humorous amateur detective show. Agatha has left her big city Public Relations job to take life easier and live in the bucolic countryside near Cotswold. The location reminds one very much of Midsomer and its main city Causton. It certainly puts one in mind of the show Midsomer Murders, both the location and the story arcs, which I'm sure is intentional. Every show starts with a murder in strange circumstances. It even has a DCI and his assistant DI, just like Midsomer Murders. In this case though, the DCI is a likeable but nearly complete incompetent. His DI has more sense -- which includes knowing when to get our heroine Agatha involved -- shades of Miss Marple but Agatha relies more on pluck and personality than superhuman detective skills. That's pretty much always after a bit of initial reluctance and warnings from everyone to "stay out of it." This show can be light relief after watching Wallander.

I highly recommend both.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once. (There! I've said it.)

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:17 am

Paprika. Really interesting. Really artsy. Animated. If you do not consider yourself to be artsy, don't watch it. If you do, it may be worth the time! I really enjoyed it.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Big Dutch

Post by Big Dutch » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:31 am

I'll cast my vote for Nocturnal Animals, saw it in the theater last week and really enjoyed it. Not without its flaws, but it was a refreshing change of pace from the formulaic flicks that are so common today.

~Big Dutch

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:54 pm

The Summit.. on Netflix. A documentary of the 2008 K2 disaster where 11 climbers died.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:35 pm

I went to see Star Wars Rogue One. I loved it.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:29 pm

lostdog wrote:I went to see Star Wars Rogue One. I loved it.

I've heard good things. My friends told me it had the same "feel" as the old ones and did a good job filling in the gap between movies.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:19 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
lostdog wrote:I went to see Star Wars Rogue One. I loved it.

I've heard good things. My friends told me it had the same "feel" as the old ones and did a good job filling in the gap between movies.

+1. Saw it today with my daughter who is not a SW fan but she enjoyed it too.

Except for Episode V, this is the best of all the SW series. The tone is geared more toward adults. I appreciated the dialogue or "discussions" among the senate. Hope is eternal. Despite the somber note, SW as well as myself have mature over the years.

Kudos to director Edwards. Look forward to the next stand alone, not so much the Force Awaken though.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:25 pm

"Manchester by the Sea" with Casey Afflick. Very good movie. Excellent acting by Affleck. Sort of a local setting for me - it's set on the North Shore; I live on the South Shore.
Friar1610

Plymouth56

Post by Plymouth56 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:06 am

friar1610 wrote:"Manchester by the Sea" with Casey Afflick. Very good movie. Excellent acting by Affleck. Sort of a local setting for me - it's set on the North Shore; I live on the South Shore.

I also thought this an excellent movie, though a bit slow at times.
I did chuckle at the two Minnesota references.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:29 am

Just watched, "Mr Church" last night. Very good family movie. Top notch flick. I'd recommend it.
Knowledge is knowing that the Tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing better than to put the tomato in a fruit salad.

PStrider

Post by PStrider » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:42 pm

Dr. Strange

Solid 8/10. A bit biased because I'm a sucker for time/space/alternate universe stuff.

jrtexas

Post by jrtexas » Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:53 pm

We are Sag Union and attend many screenings out here. Briefly:

Hidden Figures- excellent. Underrated.
Moonlight-Horrid. Way Overrated.
Hell or High Water- May be the best.
Manchester by the Sea- Tv Movie.
Jackie- meh
Fences- will be best pic. Viola Davis had the best performance. By far.
Loving- Overrated.
Lion- This is no Slumdog Millionaire. Not even close.

I still think Jungle Book was the best movie I watched this year.
Oh,SING was really fun.

Not a good movie year. I did not see LaLa Land. I will not watch Gosling sing. Sorry.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:00 pm

The 100 Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared, free on amazon.com Prime. A Swedish somewhat dark comedy, narrated in English with English subtitles (spoken language is Swedish, R-rated). The reviews say this is similar to Forest Gump. I can see the similarities, but I wouldn't go that far. Be sure you're familiar with political leaders in the post WW-2 through the 1980 era, as there are some scenes that are absolutely hilarious. I liked it.