What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rixer

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby rixer » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:56 am

We saw "The Magnificent Seven" yesterday. It was a little different than the original but it was very good.
Denzel Washington is always good.

RoadHouseFan

Postby RoadHouseFan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986). The entire family enjoyed this movie.

DSInvestor

Postby DSInvestor » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:36 pm

12 Angry Men (1957 version) starring Henry Fonda. good stuff.

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:45 am

Hope Springs

Note : This is Hope Springs (2003) not Hope Springs (2012)
Two completely different stories.

A heartbroken artist from England travels to a small Vermont town seeking
some solace over his lost love and meets a lovely but "wacko" woman who
helps him cope but alas the love interest from England comes looking for him.
The Vermont autumn setting is nice but the movie is a little too silly and highly
predictable. Nice cast (Colin Firth, Minnie Driver, Heather Graham, and Mary
Steenburgen) but I would recommend a pass.
4/10

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Bottle Shock, free on amazon.com Prime. A true story of how the California wineries got a foothold into the French dominated wine industry. You don't need to know about the history of wines, but it helps. Not bad, somewhat better than Somm.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:15 pm

Hacksaw Ridge. Although it's at times over the top, this true war story is quite good. Vince Vaughn is excellent as a tough drill sergeant. The movie contains scenes of extreme violence.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... ksaw-ridge

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Marathoned movies on trip back from China.

All Togther, French with Enlish subtitles. Geraldine Chapin, Jane Fonda. Old friends coping with old age. Film festival award. Craft big on character.
Secret Lives of Pets For the Minion ages
the Heat. Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy. A mutt and Jeff, fat girl and skinny girl
13 hrs, sad coclusion to USA support of Arabic political spring.
Last edited by itstoomuch on Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

RoadHouseFan

Postby RoadHouseFan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:25 pm

Heartbreak Ridge (1986). Great movie! Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Highway (Clint Eastwood) constantly outsmarts his elitist rivals by teaching his platoon to adapt, improvise and overcome obstacles. This movie also features Mario Van Pebbles finest acting performance as the ayatollah of rock and rolla.

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:52 pm

Topper Returns, with Joan Blondell, Carole Landis, Roland Young, and Billie Burke.

This is a classic comedy/mystery, involving murder and a ghost in an old seaside mansion. It's free with Amazon Prime.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:29 pm

Gimme Danger. A great new documentary about the rock band The Stooges.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/movie ... .html?_r=0

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:05 pm

ruralavalon wrote:Topper Returns, with Joan Blondell, Carole Landis, Roland Young, and Billie Burke.

This is a classic comedy/mystery, involving murder and a ghost in an old seaside mansion. It's free with Amazon Prime.

Loved the two movies but it was the TV show I always associated with Topper. Probably because of Leo G. Carroll. I was surprised when I saw him in North by Northwest.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:46 pm

All The Way, based on events of the presidency of Lyndon B. Johnson and staring Bryan Cranston. Really well done and enjoyable.

soboggled

Postby soboggled » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:33 pm

RoadHouseFan wrote:Heartbreak Ridge (1986). Great movie! Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Highway (Clint Eastwood) constantly outsmarts his elitist rivals by teaching his platoon to adapt, improvise and overcome obstacles. This movie also features Mario Van Pebbles finest acting performance as the ayatollah of rock and rolla.

That's your usual uniquely slanted take on things. Actually, Clint is a violent drunk and petty criminal but an effective soldier during war with a secret heart of gold. In other words, a very fictional character. He can't get along with his ex-wife, gets into barroom fights and is in constant trouble with his military superiors because they are fools who don't believe in tough training for war. There is also some nonsense about some straw man villains who "hate Marines". The movie is entertaining nonsense, sort of a "Dirty Harry" goes to war.
A good movie if your idea of good food is Cracker Barrel.

island

Postby island » Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:33 am

Hacksaw Ridge. Great movie. Intense battle scenes though.

RoadHouseFan

Postby RoadHouseFan » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:57 am

soboggled wrote:
RoadHouseFan wrote:Heartbreak Ridge (1986). Great movie! Gunnery Sergeant Thomas Highway (Clint Eastwood) constantly outsmarts his elitist rivals by teaching his platoon to adapt, improvise and overcome obstacles. This movie also features Mario Van Pebbles finest acting performance as the ayatollah of rock and rolla.

That's your usual uniquely slanted take on things. Actually, Clint is a violent drunk and petty criminal but an effective soldier during war with a secret heart of gold. In other words, a very fictional character. He can't get along with his ex-wife, gets into barroom fights and is in constant trouble with his military superiors because they are fools who don't believe in tough training for war. There is also some nonsense about some straw man villains who "hate Marines". The movie is entertaining nonsense, sort of a "Dirty Harry" goes to war.
A good movie if your idea of good food is Cracker Barrel.

Merry Christmas!

michaeljc70

Postby michaeljc70 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:12 am

Nothing worth mentioning. Personally, I find movies are being surpassed by excellent tv series, particularly cable tv. Of course there are a few good movies here and there. I look at the reviews before I see anything and am still usually disappointed in movies.

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:29 am

michaeljc70 wrote:Nothing worth mentioning. Personally, I find movies are being surpassed by excellent tv series, particularly cable tv. Of course there are a few good movies here and there. I look at the reviews before I see anything and am still usually disappointed in movies.

I agree. I haven't been to a movie theater in years, I seldom watch a movie online, but I regularly binge watch TV shows, especially original content for Netflix and Amazon, BBC, etc.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:34 am

Jiro Dreams of Sushi, free with Amazon Prime. This is a documentary which follows someone who's considered the world's greatest sushi chef. The spoken language is Japanese - English subtitles were turned on. I thought the movie was accurate, insightful, and presented in a very classy and artful way.

For example, the artistic presentation to show sushi on the plate was subtle, yet powerful. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Misenplace

Postby Misenplace » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:01 pm

We just saw the new release 'Arrival'. Without giving too much away, it is about the sudden appearance of twelve alien spaceships around the world. The movie stars Amy Adams as a linguist tasked with figuring out how to communicate with a species whose concept of language is completely different than ours. For example, it involves time as a component. It was a very thought provoking film and we enjoyed it.

Now was it unboglehead to spring full price to see it at the movie theater? It was good to see on the big screen, and at 2.5 hours at least we got more bang for our buck.

LadyGeek- I also loved Jiro Dreams of Sushi- such a cool movie.

Bylo Selhi

Postby Bylo Selhi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:15 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Jiro Dreams of Sushi, free with Amazon Prime. This is a documentary which follows someone who's considered the world's greatest sushi chef. The spoken language is Japanese - English subtitles were turned on. I thought the movie was accurate, insightful, and presented in a very classy and artful way.

For example, the artistic presentation to show sushi on the plate was subtle, yet powerful. I liked it.

++i Kanpai! :beer

I'm a devotee of sushi and enjoyed the movie for all the reasons you gave above. But in addition to all that I found the themes with respect to quality, perfection, patience, dedication, tradition, legacy, father/son relationships, etc., very thought-provoking. Many people who have no interest in sushi will enjoy this film on more general levels.

closetoreality

Postby closetoreality » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:19 pm

Inside Job (Documentary)

Next will be 'Too Big To Fail' & 'Margin Line'.

travellight

Postby travellight » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:25 am

I also really enjoyed The hunt for the wilderpeople.

re if it is unboglehead to spring for seeing movies in the theater.... I have decided it is worth it and go one step further and splurge on the fancy theaters with plush recliner seats. It may cost $10 more but I look at it as flying first class instead of coach for 2 hours, for a measly $10 more, such a deal!

JW-Retired

Postby JW-Retired » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Misenplace wrote:We just saw the new release 'Arrival'. Without giving too much away, it is about the sudden appearance of twelve alien spaceships around the world. The movie stars Amy Adams as a linguist tasked with figuring out how to communicate with a species whose concept of language is completely different than ours. For example, it involves time as a component. It was a very thought provoking film and we enjoyed it.

Yes, we saw it on Friday, the first day in our nearby theater. We both liked it.

I had one problem in that a lot of the dialog is very subdued/quiet so I missed some of it. Left the hearing aids at home as usual since most all the movies we see are extremely loud.:oops:
JW
Retired at Last

Jazztonight

Postby Jazztonight » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:12 pm

Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words (2016) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5275830/

I've seen this film twice--once in the theater with a friend, and the second time with DW the other night (via Netflix). I thoroughly enjoyed it both times.

One's preconceived ideas of what Zappa was all about will most likely be shattered by watching this movie. He comes across as one of the most articulate people I've seen, particularly during TV interviews and especially when dealing with characters such as Tipper Gore and one of the Senate committee members who were attempting to apply censorship "guidelines" to music.

Sadly, he was a chain-smoker, and his prostate cancer took him at too early an age. I highly recommend this movie. It's not just about his music; it's more about his genius. That's my opinion, anyway.
Last edited by Jazztonight on Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

soboggled

Postby soboggled » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:17 pm

JW-Retired wrote:
Misenplace wrote:We just saw the new release 'Arrival'. Without giving too much away, it is about the sudden appearance of twelve alien spaceships around the world. The movie stars Amy Adams as a linguist tasked with figuring out how to communicate with a species whose concept of language is completely different than ours. For example, it involves time as a component. It was a very thought provoking film and we enjoyed it.

Yes, we saw it on Friday, the first day in our nearby theater. We both liked it.

I had one problem in that a lot of the dialog is very subdued/quiet so I missed some of it. Left the hearing aids at home as usual since most all the movies we see are extremely loud.:oops:
JW

Uh-oh. Plan to see it. Recent movies and even some TV with all their background and transient noise are indeed becoming harder to hear, even as they pump up the volume to excruciating levels. Then, if they have British accents, forget it. Closed caption?

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:35 pm

Jazztonight wrote:Eat That Question: Frank Zappa in His Own Words (2016) http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5275830/

I've seen this film twice--once in the theater with a friend, and the second time with DW the other night (via Netflix). I thoroughly enjoyed it both times.

Ones preconceived ideas of what Zappa was all about will most likely be shattered by watching this movie. He comes across as one of the most articulate people I've seen, particularly during TV interviews and especially when dealing with characters such as Tipper Gore and one of the Senate committee members who were attempting to apply censorship "guidelines" to music.

Sadly, he was a chain-smoker, and his prostate cancer took him at too early an age. I highly recommend this movie. It's not just about his music; it's more about his genius. That's my opinion, anyway.

Thanks for that, didn't know. He's a personal favorite. Will watch when DW comes back from business trip. :D

soboggled

Postby soboggled » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:37 pm

JW-Retired wrote:

JW

Just saw it. A terrific movie. Kind of a meditation on time, language's relationship to how we think, cooperation and our personal choices in life. The theater apparently turned the sound up.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:46 pm

The Heavy Water War on Netflix. About atomic research during World War II. Very good thus far.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

jrtexas

Postby jrtexas » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:13 pm

The Arrival,Fences,Monster Calls,Nocturnal Animals,Loving,Lion. Some not released. But when your wife is a Sag actress, you get screenings for free. Best movie this year? Hell or High Water with Jeff Bridges. Fences will likely be there with numerous nominations. Only movie we missed is Hacksaw Ridge,but should get a screener for that.

jrtexas

Postby jrtexas » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:18 pm

island wrote:Hacksaw Ridge. Great movie. Intense battle scenes though.

O'Reillys new book on the war in the Pacific,has a chapter about the lead character in this movie. Gets in deep about him. Really good.

snowshoes

Postby snowshoes » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:32 pm

BOSS a series, w/Kelsey Grammer portrayed as a mayor in current day Chicago on Netflix.

nannid

Postby nannid » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:59 pm

Just finished watching The Verdict on Netflix . Great courtroom drama .

Gnirk

Postby Gnirk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:59 pm

We took advantage of cheap Tuesday ( $5.75) and saw The Accountant. We go to the movies once or twice a year.

Gnirk

Postby Gnirk » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:02 pm

ruralavalon wrote:Topper Returns, with Joan Blondell, Carole Landis, Roland Young, and Billie Burke.

Love the Topper movies! Also enjoyed the tv show.

sschullo

Postby sschullo » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:13 pm

DSInvestor wrote:12 Angry Men (1957 version) starring Henry Fonda. good stuff.

I saw the movie and the play. Loved the dynamics of the strong-willed characters changing their biased minds when confronted with the evidence, while a some just changed their minds because of peer pressure. Powerful stuff!
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Icemodeled

Postby Icemodeled » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:22 am

We do not have Netflix or streaming services but we do rent free movies at the library constantly. Our last one we watched was Child 44.

Currently we have these checked out:
Back to the future trilogy
As above so below
Blackhat
Devils knot
Donnie darko
The Martian
Copycat

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:22 am

Florence Foster Jenkins

A wealthy and generous patron of music longs to sing publicly but
unfortunately her singing ability is atrocious. Her husband and close
cadre of friends try to protect her from ridicule. Set in New York City
during the World War II era this is a great movie with excellent
performances by Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant, and Simon Helberg.
Helberg plays a very endearing character, somewhat of a refined
and artsy Barney Fife.
8.5/10

HomerJ

Postby HomerJ » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Star Trek Beyond

Absolutely worst plot (zero plot?) I've ever seen.

Utahdogowner

Postby Utahdogowner » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Sky Ladder on Netflix, about the Chinese artist behind the Bejing Olympic fireworks and so much more. Absolutely breathtaking and mesmerizing visually.
Also, Sing Street is on Netflix now, and when the wife and I saw it in theaters shortly after its Sundance premier, we thought it a lovely little film. A musical coming-of-age teen works through his crush on a girl by adopting different musical styles.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:41 am

Arrival w Amy Adams and Jeremy Renner

An exceptional and thoughtful Science Fiction movie. Although slow moving, I really enjoyed it. Didn't spot the twists in advance.

I can really only compare it to "The Day the Earth Stood Still" in terms of its approach to a first alien contact-- aliens land 12 identical giant wedges all over the planet, and Amy Adams is the linguist recruited to talk to the one that lands in Montana.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:43 am

abuss368 wrote:The Heavy Water War on Netflix. About atomic research during World War II. Very good thus far.

Yes it's brilliant. Called The Saboteurs on British tv, and same story as the Kirk Douglas "Heroes of Telemark".

The way they interweave characters talking in Norwegian, German and English I thought was just excellent. A truly "multinational" film in the best sens of the word.

Also there is a Norwegian series "The Occupation" about a Putin takeover of Norway. It, too, is getting great reviews.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:59 am

East Side Sushi ... a struggling single-mom Latina tries to become a sushi chef despite prejudices in Oakland. I mention this for the other sushi movie watchers. My neighbor gave me his netflix dvd out of the blue, so I watched it. This low-key movie of normal life in Oakland won many awards despite its simple story.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:02 am

closetoreality wrote:Inside Job (Documentary)

Next will be 'Too Big To Fail' & 'Margin Line'.

Not sure if you have seen "Margin Call" with K Spacey and Jeremy Irons? Seen in sequence with The Big Short it gives a fictional, but pretty compelling, version of the Credit Crisis (MC- inside the investment bank (unnamed), TBS- outside).

Also there is a new one "Equity" which came and went quickly, supposedly a tv series in the offing.

Ketawa

Postby Ketawa » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:14 am

I saw Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night. I was pretty disappointed.

A big chunk of the plot rests on the idiocy of a character that we are supposed to be invested in. It tried to juggle too many plot lines at once and felt like a TV pilot. And even with all those plotlines, almost nothing has changed in the film's world between the beginning and the end. The characters were pretty thinly developed.

There's still some of the wizarding world magic and the CGI is excellent, but I wouldn't say it's a must-see.

CountryBoy

Postby CountryBoy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:32 am

RE: Arrival
JW Retired

I had one problem in that a lot of the dialog is very subdued/quiet so I missed some of it.

Wife and I both retired; liked the show. I found much of the dialogue to be mumbling.

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:19 pm

Took my wife to see Fantastic Beasts. Wife is a HUGE Harry Potter fan. I simply don't understand it, I think a 10yr old me would even find them silly and not entertaining. Half the theater was adults, dressed up in Harry Potter costumes, and they were making a ruckus throughout the entire movie. Some of them were literally in tears when it ended. My wife loved it, it was IMO poorly done and a very long 2.5hrs for me. It was the first Harry Potter movie that I made it through more than 20min without falling asleep though.

RoadHouseFan

Postby RoadHouseFan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:49 pm

Dirty Harry (1971). Great movie! Inspector Harry Callahan (Clint Eastwood) restores law and order to San Francisco in spite of the incompetence of his politically correct superiors.

joe8d

Postby joe8d » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:03 pm

Woody Allen's "Cafe Society". Worth a watch.
All the Best, | Joe

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:20 am

I finished "The Heavy Water War" on Netflix. That was excellent. I understand the overall theme was real but I did not know the movie and characters were based on a true story.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:21 am

If anyone is into "The Profit" I noticed on our CNBC app on our Apple TV last night, under CNBC Originals, that there is a "The Profit in Cuba" special in addition to the regular show. Looks interesting and I plan to watch.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”