What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
theunknowntech

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby theunknowntech » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:01 pm

'Eye in the Sky', which is a lovely film that will test your ethical stamina. We are not allowed to talk about politics here, but none are required.

joe8d

Postby joe8d » Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:28 pm

theunknowntech wrote:'Eye in the Sky', which is a lovely film that will test your ethical stamina. We are not allowed to talk about politics here, but none are required.

Yes.
All the Best, | Joe

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:33 am

Spotlight, on Netflix.

I just started a Netflix account and discovered several of my choices weren't available. The movie was mentioned in this thread several times, so I gave it a try. It was pretty good.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

victw

Postby victw » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:39 am

Captain Fantastic.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:56 am

LadyGeek wrote:Spotlight, on Netflix.

I just started a Netflix account and discovered several of my choices weren't available. The movie was mentioned in this thread several times, so I gave it a try. It was pretty good.

It deserved its Oscar.

Can't think of a newspaper film since All the President's Men (Hoffman/ Redford - the Watergate scandal) that so well caught the world of newspapers and reporters.

Because it does not sensationalize, avoids flashbacks and obvious emotionally manipulative tricks, it is all the more powerful for it-- the horror as the revelations unfold, down to the final and cataclysmic one.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:59 am

6miths wrote:Star Trek Beyond. DW and I enjoyed it as did two of our teens who attended. Much more enjoyable than the latest Star Wars IMHO.

The original purpose of the series-- about science, exploration, human drama on the frontiers of the universe, has been lost. It has fallen into the formula of "oops, times for another vertiginous fight scene"-- like eating dessert a dozen times over.

The characters are developing nicely, and ditto their interactions. But the movies are samey. Plot macguffins to keep us dazzled-- especially the final revelations.

It was a good way to waste 2 hours, but like eating dessert many times, doesn't leave a lasting positive after feeling.

Star Wars (also JJ Abrams) was simply a remake of the first movie (Episode III).

The teaser trailer for Rogue One looks great, but apparently Disney has ordered some recuts. So it, too, may well disappoint.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:01 am

Jeff Albertson wrote:'Boom, Bust, Boom' by Terry Jones, on Netflix.

Terry Jones presents Boom Bust Boom. The result of a meeting between writer, director, historian and Python Terry Jones and economics professor and entrepreneur Theo Kocken. Co-written by Jones and Kocken and featuring John Cusack, Nobel Prize winners Daniel Kahneman, Robert J. Shiller and Paul Krugman, the film is part of a global movement to change the economic system through education to protect the world from boom and bust. A unique look at why economic crashes happen, Boom Bust Boom is a multimedia documentary combining live action with animation and puppetry to explain economics to everyone.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boom_bust_boom/

Thank you.

Jones is a thoughtful guy. This should be very good.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:03 am

abuss368 wrote:We finished "Prison Break" series on Netflix. Enjoyed it.

The Dominic Purcell and Hamilton Wentworth pair have reappeared in the first season of "DC Legends of Tomorrow" in the US on the channel The CW.

The series is lightly entertaining in its own way, although as with all ensemble cast series, the characters are perhaps underdeveloped. But they are the 2 most interesting pair (along with the Professor Stein character). Spotting the Vancouver filming locations is great.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:08 am

Non7WoodUser wrote:No Escape. It's an accurate reminder of the realities of foreign travel. It confirmed that our decision to not renew our passports was the correct one.

Good grief. I apologize if I am missing an intended irony, but really?

It's really sad that an American, thinks that the rest of the world is an unsafe place to visit.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:59 am

Valuethinker wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Spotlight, on Netflix.

It deserved its Oscar.

Can't think of a newspaper film since All the President's Men (Hoffman/ Redford - the Watergate scandal) that so well caught the world of newspapers and reporters.

Because it does not sensationalize, avoids flashbacks and obvious emotionally manipulative tricks, it is all the more powerful for it-- the horror as the revelations unfold, down to the final and cataclysmic one.

I also saw the movie and agree on the solid journalistic approach, which I thought was embodied mainly in the character and performance of Michael Keaton. It also was so important, for perspective, to bring out the paper's failure to properly cover the story early on.

Having been a journalist for many years, as reporter and editor, I especially liked this from a review by A.O. Scott of the NYT: "Everything in this movie works, which is only fitting, since its vision of heroism involves showing up in the morning and — whether inspired by bosses or in spite of them — doing the job."
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Levett

Postby Levett » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:07 pm

We saw "Captain Fantastic," and it certainly had its moments. It's a throwback to the hippie road movies of yesteryear.

The film, sadly, becomes increasingly implausible with the journey to New Mexico.

On the other hand, "The Infiltrator" is rivetting--sensational performances by the entire cast, a relentless plot, and a pitch perfect ending.

I have to believe Tarantino would like this film.

Lev

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:06 pm

Recently saw League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Truly awful film but I stuck it through to the end -- not sure why, but it must have had something going for it! Perhaps it was Sean Connery. Perhaps it was because I read Dracula shortly before and recognized the character name Wilhelmina Harker.

Mediocre CGI. I think the 1977 Star Wars had better.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

vbdoug

Postby vbdoug » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:25 pm

"The Ten Scariest Short Films Ever Created" on YouTube. Time: 15 minutes

Serie1926

Postby Serie1926 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:46 pm

"My All American" on the Netflix.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:17 pm

"The In Laws" with Michael Douglas on Netflix.

Really funny.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:18 pm

"The Interview" on Netflix. The comedy about interviewing Kim Un in North Korea. Funny!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Cheese

Postby Cheese » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:34 pm

Tony Robbins - I am not your guru on Netflix. Say what you will about his investment advice - that is one incredible human being. This is well worth the time imo.

6miths

Postby 6miths » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:02 pm

Valuethinker wrote:
6miths wrote:Star Trek Beyond. DW and I enjoyed it as did two of our teens who attended. Much more enjoyable than the latest Star Wars IMHO.

The original purpose of the series-- about science, exploration, human drama on the frontiers of the universe, has been lost. It has fallen into the formula of "oops, times for another vertiginous fight scene"-- like eating dessert a dozen times over.

The characters are developing nicely, and ditto their interactions. But the movies are samey. Plot macguffins to keep us dazzled-- especially the final revelations.

It was a good way to waste 2 hours, but like eating dessert many times, doesn't leave a lasting positive after feeling.

Star Wars (also JJ Abrams) was simply a remake of the first movie (Episode III).

The teaser trailer for Rogue One looks great, but apparently Disney has ordered some recuts. So it, too, may well disappoint.

Can't disagree with what you are saying. We didn't go in expecting anything but a timewaster and that is what we got. But not a bad one.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

PortAlice

Postby PortAlice » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:56 am

Just finished "The Last Man on the Moon," (Netflix), a fascinating profile of Gene Cernan who in 1972 was the last man to leave the moon - one of only twelve to walk on its surface. Great historical review of the space program, wonderful archival film. A must in my book!

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:57 am

Cheese wrote:Tony Robbins - I am not your guru on Netflix. Say what you will about his investment advice - that is one incredible human being. This is well worth the time imo.

Going to check this out. My mother actually grew up with Robbins and she portrays him as a very odd human being, that has probably tainted my viewpoint - although I know little outside of his recent investing advice. I have a few friends who swear by him. Willing to give it a Friday night.

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:31 am

stoptothink wrote:
Cheese wrote:Tony Robbins - I am not your guru on Netflix. Say what you will about his investment advice - that is one incredible human being. This is well worth the time imo.

Going to check this out. My mother actually grew up with Robbins and she portrays him as a very odd human being, that has probably tainted my viewpoint - although I know little outside of his recent investing advice. I have a few friends who swear by him. Willing to give it a Friday night.

There was an article about him in the July 22 WSJ. Google Tony Robbins Faces His Fears" or try

http://www.wsj.com/articles/tony-robbin ... 1469199022

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:17 pm

On Netflix last night, I watched The Painted Veil, directed by John Curran and starring Naomi Watts, Edward Norton, Liev Schreiber, Diana Rigg, Toby Jones, and Anthony Wong Chau-Sang.

The screenplay is based on the 1925 novel of the same title by W. Somerset Maugham. Set in the 1920s, a young English couple, Walter (Norton), a middle class doctor, and Kitty (Watts), an upper-class woman, get married for all the wrong reasons and relocate to Shanghai. There, Kitty falls in love with another man (Schreiber). When Walter discovers her infidelity, in an act of vengeance, he accepts a job in a remote village in China that is being ravaged by a deadly epidemic and takes his wife along. There, Kitty embarks on a journey of self-discovery that leads to an unexpected chance at redemption.

This really is quite good. Very atmospheric and fine acting by the leads and the supporting cast. Naomi Watts and Edward Norton seem to have better onscreen chemistry than do Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber, surprising since Watts and Schreiber have been in a long-term personal relationship.

I have read several novels by Maugham but not this one. I intend to remedy that.
Gordon

Dave55

Postby Dave55 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:40 pm

Went to the theatre and saw the new Star Trek movie, "Star Trek Beyond" and the new Jason Bourne movie too.

Dave

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:23 pm

Somm, on Netflix. Noted earlier in the thread, this is a movie for wine enthusiasts. I agree. I'm a wine enthusiast and understood what was going on. It was a nice change of pace, the suspense really builds up on you.

Consider skipping this movie if you don't understand the subtleties of wine tasting or the details of wine history and grape varietals.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Dead Man Walking

Postby Dead Man Walking » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Jason Bourne in a revitalized theater that was built in the 1940's. I was impressed with the theater. The movie is an entertaining action flick. I've seen all of the Bourne films, so I knew that I wasn't going to see the best film of the year. However, I expected that this would be the final chapter. The ending provides an opportunity for the series to continue with a middle-aged Matt Damon assuming a role similar to a John Le Carre character.

DMW

kaudrey

Postby kaudrey » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:28 pm

Dead Man Walking wrote:Jason Bourne in a revitalized theater that was built in the 1940's. I was impressed with the theater. The movie is an entertaining action flick. I've seen all of the Bourne films, so I knew that I wasn't going to see the best film of the year. However, I expected that this would be the final chapter. The ending provides an opportunity for the series to continue with a middle-aged Matt Damon assuming a role similar to a John Le Carre character.

DMW

+1. It was about what I expected, although I'd say about 10 minutes too long on the action scenes at the end (car/fight).

TheBestOrNothing

Postby TheBestOrNothing » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:32 pm

The Great Gatsby

SuperSaver

Postby SuperSaver » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:13 pm

PortAlice wrote:Just finished "The Last Man on the Moon," (Netflix), a fascinating profile of Gene Cernan who in 1972 was the last man to leave the moon - one of only twelve to walk on its surface. Great historical review of the space program, wonderful archival film. A must in my book!

Just watched this today... Agree with the above. Wonderful, poignant story. Thanks for the tip

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:18 pm

Watching "Cape Fear" on Netflix.

peterinjapan

Postby peterinjapan » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:44 am

The Man from Earth. A sort of thought experiment about a man who had lived for the past 14,000 years through a freak of genetics. An amazing movie, just watch it.

Non7WoodUser

Postby Non7WoodUser » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:17 am

13 Hours. Should be required viewing prior to the election.

crynwr

Postby crynwr » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:12 pm

I saw Equity a few days ago, a financial drama that turns on an IPO where a prosecutor is sniffing around for possible insider trading. The conflict at the heart of the action involves three women, and the filmmakers are keen to explore the implications of their being women in a world made by and largely peopled by men.

Although the plot is not quite water tight, it nevertheless works effectively by turning around genre expectations, and the writing is crisp. Some terrific performances, too.

I'd be interested to know what other Bogleheads thought of the movie's portrayal of finance.

Cryn
Oh yes, I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly -- Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:36 pm

Hachi: A Dog's Tale. netflix. 2009. Richard Gere, and the dog that didn't get credit on IMDB. :(
I like dog stories. Just a hound here. :oops:
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

theunknowntech

Postby theunknowntech » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 pm

Marguerite, a luminously great French film now on disk. IMO it makes the most intensely moving use of Mozart's Figaro since the original. It's also quite funny.

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:55 pm

The Creature From the Black Lagoon.

A classic horror film of the early 1950s, worth watching for the nostalgia.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

MP173

Postby MP173 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Not exactly a movie but a series on HBO - "The Night Of". Pretty good.

ed

Dulocracy

Postby Dulocracy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:32 pm

We just watched "The Martian," and it was phenomenal. It is hard to have a good man vs. nature movie in a day when most of them have been done.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:49 pm

"And So It Goes" with Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton on Netflix. Really enjoyed the film.

happyhiker

Postby happyhiker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Hunt for the Wilderpeople. Loved it - very funny, heartwarming without being sappy. Made on a low budget in the New Zealand bush, so it's a gorgeous film as well.

Saw The Lobster at the same theater a few weeks earlier. Weird movie. It was interesting in a bizarre sort of way, but I wouldn't recommend it. The best thing about it was the trailer for Hunt for the Wilderpeople, so I'm glad I saw it.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:43 pm

Last night on Netflix, I watched Tallulah, starring Ellen Page, Allison Janney, Tammy Blanchard, Evan Jonigkeit, David Zayas, Uzo Aduba, Evangeline Ellis, and Liliana Ellis.

This 2016 comedy-drama film was written and directed by Sian Heder. The plot: A young, freewheeling woman (Page) rescues a baby from a neglectful mother (Blanchard) on an impulse and pretends the child is her own. Needing a place to stay, she seeks the help of her ex-boyfriend's estranged mother (Janney), telling her the baby is her granddaughter.

Excellent film with a strong cast headed by Page, Janney, and Blanchard.
Gordon

Dead Man Walking

Postby Dead Man Walking » Sat Aug 13, 2016 12:46 am

MP173 wrote:Not exactly a movie but a series on HBO - "The Night Of". Pretty good.

ed

+1

denismurf

Postby denismurf » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:34 pm

Florence Foster Jenkins:

Part comedy and part drama, so succeeds in neither. You might like this if you are really, really infatuated with Meryl Streep. Otherwise, probably not.

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:58 am

Eye in the Sky.
Really good movie. Makes you think.
My wife is not a war movie fan, but she said this was good
Dan999

bondsr4me

Postby bondsr4me » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:56 am

"High Noon"....
Gary Cooper and Grace Kelly.
Luv these old westerns.
Still watching "Gunsmoke" weekdays.
Have a great day.
Don

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:44 pm

Eddie the Eagle from Netflix DVDs. Based on the true story of Eddie Edwards, British Ski Jumper. With the Olympics on the movie is quite fitting. Great entertainment and motivational.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:59 pm

Knights of Badassdom, on Netflix. Categorized as a comedy horror, it's somewhat entertaining. My husband thought it was funnier than I did. Meh.

david99

Postby david99 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:49 pm

We just saw Pawn Sacrifice ---it is about American Chess prodigy Bobby Fischer. It takes place during the Cold War when the Russians and Americans are trying to out perform each other. It also chronicles Fischer's struggles with genius and madness. I thought that it was an excellent movie.

snowshoes

Postby snowshoes » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:49 pm

DSKNECTD : About Hyper-IT-connectivity w/neuroscience themes...

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:13 am

Tonight I watched Janis: Little Girl Blue on Netflix.

Originally broadcast on PBS, this Janis Joplin 2015 documentary is directed by Amy Berg and narrated by Cat Power. Her own words tell much of the story through a series of letters that she wrote home over the years and that are read by Chan Marshall, . It includes interviews with musicians Pink, Kris Kristofferson, Melissa Etheridge, Bob Weir, Juliette Lewis, members of Big Big Brother and the Holding Company and Kosmic Blues Band, two bands that she fronted, TV presenter Dick Cavett, filmmaker D.A. Pennebaker, the Joplin family, and others.
Gordon

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:17 am

denismurf wrote:Florence Foster Jenkins:

Part comedy and part drama, so succeeds in neither. You might like this if you are really, really infatuated with Meryl Streep. Otherwise, probably not.

I went to see it on Friday. I disagree with you. This was a great movie. Try and sing the Queen of the night badly, and then tell me this wasn't a riveting performance by Meryl Streep . I know I have, all weekend long.

Of course, the movie also hit quite close to home for me - let's just say I have been bad lately, and was prescribed a penicillin shot by my infectious disease doctor only the day before I saw the movie - and I had no idea of the subject of the movie. I could really relate to the dramatic story of disease, and I'm sure my husband could as well. Fortunately, he was much more forgiving to me than the real-life Mrs Foster-Jenkins was of her husband. Of course, we have antibiotics and antiretrovirals these days, which were not available in time for her.
Last edited by madbrain on Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”