What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:17 pm

Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour 2016: Washington, D.C. Program-C.

It's a fantastic annual event, and it becomes increasingly difficult to get tickets. Tickets are sold within a few minutes. I am fortunate to have a friend who works for National Geographic and alerted me to the sale and the need to act fast. I was unfortunate that on the days when I had tickets for Programs A and B, they were rescheduled due to the snowstorm. I will see Program-B next week but will miss Program-A.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:21 pm

Apollo 13. I liked it, in spite of the scientific inaccuracies and "made for movie" special effects.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Wildebeest

Postby Wildebeest » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm

traveler90 wrote:Spotlight is probably the best movie I have seen so far this year. Excellent acting and a great script.

9.5/10

If I had known what the movie's subject was, I would never have gone.

I would have missed a great movie.

The movie gripped me even while I knew the outcome, had read the articles etc. The acting was superb, the build up was fantastic and it kept you at the edge of your seat.
The audience applauded at the end of the movie and was slow to leave.

Two thumbs up. A ten.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

tredd351

Postby tredd351 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:10 pm

Weird , but on Netflix am renting the DVDs of the Resident Evil. My kids have all seen them all and wondered - what this was about..Not a bad movie but not a wife movie(she doesn't like these flicks)..
Also saw Intern - kinda corny...chick flick
T

cheese_breath

Postby cheese_breath » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:03 pm

Wife and I watched Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp this week. Really dumb, but the kind of dumb you can't stop watching. Watched the whole thing.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:18 pm

Several nights ago, I watched Pure on Netflix, starring Alicia Vikander (sigh), Josephine Bauer, Samuel Fröler, and Martin Wallström, and directed by Lisa Langseth.

Twenty year old Katarina (Vikander) never finished school, hates her job, and worries that she may end up like her mother Birgitta (Bauer), who is drinking herself to death. She also has anger management problems. Finding her only solace in music, Katarina talks her way into a job as a receptionist in the offices of the Gothenburg Symphony. Although she lives with her slacker boyfriend, Mattias (Wallström), she nonetheless finds herself entering into an affair with the symphony's conductor, the married and much older Adam (Fröler).

Vikander won the Swedish Guldbagge Award for Best Actress for her role in this 2009 Swedish film, which I believe was her first film.
Gordon

travellight

Postby travellight » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:36 pm

I watched a documentary about Michael Jackson and the making of the off-the-wall album directed by Spike Lee last night. I really enjoyed it and it's coming out on Showtime on February 5. This morning I watched a movie called love and friendship directed by Whit Stillman that I also enjoyed greatly.

traveler90

Postby traveler90 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:14 am

Carol

I didn't enjoy it. Nothing to do with the subject matter, but it is very slow. I honestly just found it boring, although I loved the score and could see it winning the Oscar in that category. I also enjoyed Rooney Mara's performance very much. Would not be in my top films of the year though.

AlwaysaQ

Postby AlwaysaQ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:32 am

Saw The Finest Hours yesterday - enjoyed it tho it could have been tighter.

Hope to see 13 Hours soon.

Sheepdog

Postby Sheepdog » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:38 am

Brooklyn....well done. The story was well written, directed and acted. And, most of the smaller audience stayed to watch the credits.
However good or bad a situation is, it will change

gary11

Postby gary11 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:57 am

Watched Sicario over the weekend. It was recommended by quite a few and glad we watched it. The story is very simple involving Mexican cartels, drug war, American law enforcement agencies etc. but it keeps one engaged with a steady pace - also great acting, direction, cinematography.

rixer

Postby rixer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:56 am

We watched "Reasonable Doubt" last. It's about a prosecuter who goes out drinking one night and runs over a man in the street. They arrest another guy (Samual Jackson)for the murder and the prosecuter has the job of trying this guy for the crime he has committed.
It's on Netflix and a good choice.

cheese_breath

Postby cheese_breath » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:35 am

rixer wrote:We watched "Reasonable Doubt" last. It's about a prosecuter who goes out drinking one night and runs over a man in the street. They arrest another guy (Samual Jackson)for the murder and the prosecuter has the job of trying this guy for the crime he has committed.
It's on Netflix and a good choice.

That's a great one.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

btenny

Postby btenny » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Watched Draft Day over the weekend. It a very good movie especially if you like sports. It is an inside look at how Professional football teams select new players. The story is about the Cleveland Browns General Manger (Kevin Costner) and how he goes about selecting players with good talent and all their related baggage. This story is enhanced and woven around the GMs own personal issues with his girl friend and his Mom and his boss. All good stuff and Costner does a great acting job.

blurryvision

Postby blurryvision » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Just watched "The Best Offer" on Netflix the other night.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1924396/

Great cast and very intriguing plot. Starring Geoffrey Rush as an eccentric auctioneer.

JonnyDVM

Postby JonnyDVM » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:23 pm

"World of tomorrow" on Netflix. It's a very clever 17 minute sci-fi short. 17 minutes well spent.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:00 am

Tonight on Netflix, I watched A Walk on the Moon, directed by Tony Goldwyn, and starring Diane Lane, Viggo Mortensen, Liev Schreiber, Anna Paquin, and Tovah Feldshuh.

Unfulfilled housewife Pearl Kantrowitz (Lane) suffers in quiet misery as the tumultuous events of the summer of 1969 unfold on the surface of her television screen. When she invites hunky traveling salesman Walker Jerome (Mortensen) into the safety of her living room for the live broadcast of the historic moon landing, the two begin a passionate affair. The affair threatens to destroy her marriage to her straight-laced high school sweetheart, Marty (Schreiber).

This is really a great picture. Diane Lane is terrific. No surprise there, though.
Gordon

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:50 am

Making a Murderer on Netflix.
Decided to check it out when I saw that IMDB gave it a rating of 9.1 out of 10.

VictoriaF

Postby VictoriaF » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm

VictoriaF wrote:Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour 2016: Washington, D.C. Program-C.

It's a fantastic annual event, and it becomes increasingly difficult to get tickets. Tickets are sold within a few minutes. I am fortunate to have a friend who works for National Geographic and alerted me to the sale and the need to act fast. I was unfortunate that on the days when I had tickets for Programs A and B, they were rescheduled due to the snowstorm. I will see Program-B next week but will miss Program-A.

Victoria

Banff Mountain Film Festival World Tour 2016: Washington, D.C. Program-B.

Another great night of adrenaline-producing films.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:57 pm

Watched the first episode of the Bernie Madoff mini-series last night. Not great.

The People vs OJ Simpson was kind of cheesy.

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:18 am

Finished Madoff last night. I thought the second half was much better. In one remarkable scene, the movie recounts how Madoff thought it was "game over" during a 2006 investigation when the SEC insisted Madoff provide them with his DTC account number... which he did.

batpot

Postby batpot » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Ex Machina
for free on Amazon Prime

The fact that I'm still thinking/reading/talking about it days after the fact speaks volumes.

The basic premise is pretty good, but the gender roles subtext makes it pretty great, and the way you react to the ending probably speaks more about you as a person than it does about the movie.

peppers

Postby peppers » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:54 pm

Bustoff wrote:Finished Madoff last night. I thought the second half was much better. In one remarkable scene, the movie recounts how Madoff thought it was "game over" during a 2006 investigation when the SEC insisted Madoff provide them with his DTC account number... which he did.

For a made for TV film, Madoff came off rather well in my eyes. Richard Dreyfuss gave a credible portrayal of Madoff. And, I was left shaking my head watching the incredulous portrayal of the SEC lawyers and investigators.

"All they had to do was make a phone call" :oops:
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Zero Dark Thirty.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:46 pm

Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks. A Speiblerg movie.
Really good intrigue of what supposedly happened.
We lived it so it may mean more to the cold war crowd.
Dan999

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:49 pm

Testament of Youth (2015).

Saw it at home on disc via netflix.

Based on a memoir by Vera Brittain, it follows a smart young girl (Alicia Vikander) determined to get into Oxford and become a writer. She arrives, but the onset of WWI makes life complicated.

Highly recommended. Unclear to me how this one seems to have flown under the radar--looks like there was a brief US release last summmer. In any case, I think it deserved some consideration for awards.

Required viewing for the Downton Abbey fan base, as well as for fans of Alicia Vikander. Between this and the terrific Ex Machina (and perhaps also The Danish Girl--have not seen this one yet) she's on quite a roll.

Toons

Postby Toons » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:52 pm

Sharknado 3
Netflix :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:05 pm

Apollo 18. I liked the somewhat different approach to the sci-fi - alien - government conspiracy genre. Otherwise, meh.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

VictoriaF

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:21 pm

I have just finished reading The World in 2016, a special issue by The Economist. In an article Do you speak 2016? it notes:
The Economist wrote:"Netflix and chill" became known in 2015 for a sexual hookup, but when such things become too widely known, they lose their frisson."

Victoria

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:29 pm

I do have the Madoff and OJ movies on the list.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Just watched a wonderful BBC movie titled "A Brilliant Young Mind". I highly suggest it.

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Sun Feb 07, 2016 10:02 pm

Daft Punk Unchained and Michael Jackson's Journey from Motown to Off the Wall.

joe8d

Postby joe8d » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:17 pm

"Little Man". A heart warmer.
All the Best, | Joe

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Hail, Caesar! There are some funny moments in this silly Coen brothers comedy.

RainyZ

Postby RainyZ » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:19 pm

A Few Good Men. I forgot how Gung Ho they made the two Marines look!

daveatca

Hail, Caesar

Postby daveatca » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:08 pm

jginseattle wrote:Hail, Caesar! There are some funny moments in this silly Coen brothers comedy.

Lots of great moments.
The subtle Communist influence was dialectically mesmerizing.
The spaghetti roping scene was as sexual as it gets with clothes still on.

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:41 am

Rented The Martian from Redbox. Very entertaining. I liked it much more than Gravity

Toons

Postby Toons » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:02 pm

Funny Or Die
funnyordie website

Johnny Depp does a remarkable job of portraying Trump. :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:25 pm

Concussion
Big Business is alive and well.
Morals and Ethics comes into question. :?
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

jstrange1970

Postby jstrange1970 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:56 pm

Deadpool. NOT for the kids (thankfully, I'd read the reviews and didn't bring them). Smart, funny, great action, and a superhero story for adults. Debating going again to hear the jokes I missed while laughing at others. Sucks you in from the opening credits.

magazinewriter

Postby magazinewriter » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:08 pm

Bustoff wrote:Rented The Martian from Redbox. Very entertaining. I liked it much more than Gravity

+1 for The Martian. I watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

VictoriaF

Postby VictoriaF » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:45 pm

The Lady Vanishes by Alfred Hitchcock.

Victoria

bru

Postby bru » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Bridge of Spies. Great Cold War era tale. Tom Hanks was brilliant as usual, too bad he didn't get nominated. That completes our viewing of all the Oscar contenders.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:52 pm

The OJ Simpson movie. Wow!

theDON2050

Postby theDON2050 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:09 pm

City of God on netflix. Some gruesome parts and all subtitles just so you know what you're getting into.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/city_of_god/

travellight

Postby travellight » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:28 am

Burnt, I don't recommend it. Poorly written.

Love and mercy: very enjoyable biopic about Brian Wilson. Paul Dano is great as usual.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:04 am

Spotlight which is fantastic. It does not sensationalize, it lets the story unfold itself. Chilling in its revelations about institutional responses.

The Big Short which is also excellent, although the underlying story is complex and the presentation is quite cinematic and knowing. Margin Call is almost its perfect opposite twin, telling the same story from a (fictionalized) investment bank on the brink-- with incredibly realistic dialogue and scenes.

Fire and Sky, about a French glaciologist in his 80s, about his career in Antarctica and finding the Vostok Core (which gives atmospheric content for the last 600k years, based on each year's frozen layer of snow). That really was quite moving.

Bridge of Spies, which I enjoyed very much, especially the incomparable Mark Ryland as the Soviet Spy, Colonel Rudolph Abel-- "Would it help?". However it is very Spielberg, it doesn't stop with the cinematic tricks to evoke your emotions.

Star Wars VII: the Force awakens. Some good acting, some interesting characters. Basically a remake of episode IV (ie the first one; A New Hope) and lacking some of the dramatic tensions that made the first one work. Very good acting by Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher and Daisy Ridley. Fun, and a decent remake, but lacking the flair of the original.

Like the new Star Trek movies (same director) I would say it copies many of the tropes of the original, but didn't demonstrate the art of the original.

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:33 am

Valuethinker wrote:Bridge of Spies, which I enjoyed very much, especially the incomparable Mark Ryland as the Soviet Spy, Colonel Rudolph Abel-- "Would it help?". However it is very Spielberg, it doesn't stop with the cinematic tricks to evoke your emotions.

Yes! We watched this weekend. Mark Ryland should be recognized for his nuanced portrayal. "Would it help?" might become a catchphrase in our home.

Meru -
Three elite climbers struggle to find their way through obsession and loss as they attempt to climb Mount Meru, one of the most coveted prizes in the high stakes game of Himalayan big wall climbing
Gripping. I got a peek at what drives these climbers, but honestly, I still don't quite get it.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:51 am

The Big Short and particularly Spotlight reminded me of why I pay to see movies. Reminded me of the emotions movies can bring out, the things that movies can do like nothing else.

Argo, some schmuck in the last row, despite being spoken too, spent the entire movie commenting on it to his girlfriend-- spent as much time talking as the film had dialogue. That's why the public experience of movies is so often lousy- -people treat them like they are in their living room.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:56 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:Bridge of Spies, which I enjoyed very much, especially the incomparable Mark Ryland as the Soviet Spy, Colonel Rudolph Abel-- "Would it help?". However it is very Spielberg, it doesn't stop with the cinematic tricks to evoke your emotions.

Yes! We watched this weekend. Mark Ryland should be recognized for his nuanced portrayal. "Would it help?" might become a catchphrase in our home.

Spielberg read the book on cinematic tricks (cut from the guy screaming to the girl singing God Bless America, the fence scene repeated etc.). That leaves me feeling manipulated. It's like he doesn't trust his story to tell itself. That said, the acting was good (and superb in Ryland's case), and the sets etc. were fantastic. Spielberg is the greatest director (in sales terms) in Hollywood history, and a master of his craft and yet annoying at the same time.

The counterpoint to Bridge of Spies is 13 Days. That director was repeating the style and cast of No Way Out, and of course the role of the Kevin Costner character was vastly overstated, but it is the other movie that is very evocative of the paranoia of the early 1960s (that wasn't made at the time that is: see 7 Days in May).

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”