What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
telemark

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby telemark » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:59 pm

gkaplan wrote:Last night, on Netflix, I watched The Great Escape, directed by John Sturges and starring Steve McQueen, James Garner, Richard Attenborough, James Donald, Charles Bronson, Donald Pleasence, James Coburn, Hans Messemer, David McCallum, and Gordon Jackson.

I saw this movie when it first came out and have seen it on the telly several times. This is the movie that cemented Steve McQueen's reputation as a major movie star. Surprisingly, this movie did not receive any Academy Awards. In fact, I don't think it received any nominations. No Best Actor for Steve McQueen, surely an oversight. No Best Supporting Actor. No Best Picture. No Best Director. No Best Cinematography. No Best Movie Score. No Best Adapted Screenplay. Must have been a tough year.

I believe Chicken Run is still available on Netflix also :wink:

JMacDonald

Postby JMacDonald » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:06 pm

The French farce, "The Tall Blond Man with the One Black Shoe," is finally out on DVD: http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcatalog ... diseID=417

The movie is about what happens when an ordinary person get in the middle of spies spying on spies. Very amusing.

I am now wailing for the sequel; "The Return of ..." so come out on DVD.
Best Wishes, | Joe

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:00 pm

Last night I watched two documentaries on Netflix.

The first documentary was Escape from a Nazi Death Camp. The Nazi death camp at Sobibor was created solely for the mass extermination of Jews; however, on October 14, 1943, the inmates fought back, in the biggest and most successful prison outbreak of the Second World War. Of the six hundred inmates present on the day of the escape, three hundred escaped. Around fifty survived the war and of that fifty, only a handful are still alive. This powerful film is told by four of the main survivors: Thomas "Toivi" Blatt, Philip Bialowitz, Selma Engel-Wijnberg, and former Russian POW Semjon Rozenfled. Unlike Auschwitz and Dachau, Sobibor was created purely for extermination. In the space of seventeen months, a quarter of a million people arrived at the camp and were put to death almost immediately. A "lucky" few men and women were picked out from the doomed crowds to work as prisoners in the camp: as bakers, tailors, cleaners, metalworkers, carpenters, even in the sorting houses sifting through possessions of the dead. Everyone knew, however, that being selected to work in the camp meant their lives were only on loan. No one left Sobibor alive.

The second documentary was Secrets of Underground London. Secrets of Underground London uncovers two thousand years of subterranean history: a world of ancient caves and perfectly preserved Roman remains; mysterious rivers and gruesome plague pits; impenetrable vaults and top-secret bunkers.
Gordon

seeshells

Postby seeshells » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:59 pm

Overfed & Undernourished on AMZN by Dr.John Demartini, and Joe Cross. Examining modern lifestyles, precipitating a global pandemic of sorts.

goldendad

Postby goldendad » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:00 pm

Sabrina

Teetlebaum

Postby Teetlebaum » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:27 pm

"The Man in the White Suit" with Alec Guinness and Joan Greenwood (love her voice!). I wish someone had brought up the candlemakers' petition, though.

market timer

Postby market timer » Sat Oct 24, 2015 4:15 am

"Sicario" (2015): Good crime movie. Loved the cinematography.

"Southpaw" (2015): Meh, surprisingly trite for a Jake Gyllenhaal movie. Guess this is trying to be Rocky for millennials.

"In the Mood for Love" (2000): Great movie. Enjoyed some of Wong Kar Wai's earlier work, and saw this one listed on the Sight & Sound top 250 movies of all time. I didn't read the description for this one before watching it, so the unique relationship was rather surprising.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby nisiprius » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:44 am

Tomorrowland, with George Clooney. I really enjoyed it, flaws and all. It's in the same general vein as The Last Starfighter or Back to the Future.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

stratton

Postby stratton » Sat Oct 24, 2015 2:59 pm

nisiprius wrote:Tomorrowland, with George Clooney. I really enjoyed it, flaws and all. It's in the same general vein as The Last Starfighter or Back to the Future.

There is a Last Starfighter musical. I saw the developmental production four or five years ago at a festival of new musicals in Issaquah, WA. The writer and lyricist were from Hollywood so I don't know if any developmental productions would hit the NY City area for instance. More likely to be on the west coast whereas teams from the NY City area are highly likely to do really small productions in the northeast.

It was a pretty good show.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

a

Postby a » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:46 am

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - after many recommendations on this
board + that of a close personal friend, finally

When Jiro invites his younger son to strike out and become
manager of a separate restaurant, he says that he told him
"You cannot come back." Meaning that he is on his own, he
MUST succeed at running the restaurant.

Jiro explains that when he was 9 his father told him the
same thing, and that's what drove him to work so hard, to
become the perfect sushi maker. "You have to abandon them.
Parents who let their kids know they can come home [come
back to the parents for help], the kids turn out to be
failures." (paraphrase)

This is interesting because I once said, in defense of
private schools, that they MUST be better than public
schools because they have more freedom: a public school is
constrained to only hire certain teachers, follow certain
rules, have a certain budget. It could not be possible that
constraints would produce a BETTER result than complete
freedom. Yet in human children, constraints DO seem
to produce a greater result! The "immigrant phenomenon"
where the more deprivation you experience, the more motivated
you are: your brain becomes seared with the experience and
avoidance mechanism => great fire (in your soul, to
prevent it from ever happening again).

example#2: Billionaires who write in their wills that they
are giving ALL their money away to charity, and who then
tell their children This is what I did.

example#3: story about a general who landed on foreign
coast, then burnt his ships (with his men watching)

So wouldn't the best raising of a child be to tell them when
they are 7, or at least set down rules, "Okay when you are
18 you are on your own, cut off. For your own best good."
Of course this means you really have to put their health in
jeopardy (or rather put their health completely in their
own hands). Sign some sort of promise that you will not step
in even if it means they're going to die..

Unfortunately, there are already safety nets in American
(speaking nationocentrically) society.

Perhaps one could say, "Well if you are going to die, I may
help with medical bills. That only."

I didnt watch the documentary all the way through. I am
starting to notice a phenomenon where it seems the most
important message of a book (or documentary) is expressed
in the first 10% and after that a sharp drop off in the
density of useful material. I do think the first 10 to 20
minutes is good.

astrohip

Postby astrohip » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:59 am

Jupiter Ascending. Wow, this was the worst movie I have seen in ages. Just. Terrible. No plot, confusing plot, poorly written, terribly miscast. Boring. My first F- of the year.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

Wildebeest

Postby Wildebeest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:05 pm

"Bridge of Spies "by Steven Spielberg.

Silly me, I thought I was going to see an action movie. Three of four of us liked and I thought is was a waste of time. It was good to bring back memories though and nice to talk about afterwards. Excellent acting.

I do not recommend it, which may be a recommendation in itself.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Can anyone recommend a highly suspenseful movie for Halloween? not horror, suspense and intelligently written, thank you
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:46 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:Can anyone recommend a highly suspenseful movie for Halloween? not horror, suspense and intelligently written, thank you

I'd start my search with Alfred Hitchcock. Those criteria are right up his alley.

I like Strangers on a Train. The Birds, if you haven't ever seen it, could qualify. Some very famous scenes in both of those. OK, Psycho, but you must have seen it several times already. (Hitchcock's political thrillers, e.g. Torn Curtain, although suspenseful don't have that Halloween feel.)

How about Halloween humor? Mel Brook to the rescue! Try High Anxiety or Young Frankenstein. Both top notch.

Speaking of Frankenstein, The Bride of Frankenstein is the best of all the Frankenstein movies. Edit: Elsa Lanchester in the title role and coincidentally an answer in today's crossword!

The Old Dark House (1932) is also pretty good. Directed by James Whale who also directed Bride of Frankenstein, and you almost certainly haven't seen it yet. EDIT: Boris Karloff and an early Charles Laughton.
Last edited by bertilak on Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:54 pm

bertilak wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:Can anyone recommend a highly suspenseful movie for Halloween? not horror, suspense and intelligently written, thank you

I'd start my search with Alfred Hitchcock. Those criteria are right up his alley.

I like Strangers on a Train. The Birds, if you haven't ever seen it, could qualify. Some very famous scenes in both of those. OK, Psycho, but you must have seen it several times already. ...

No matter how many times I've dared to watch "Psycho" (it was years before I finally watched all of the shower scene), there's been something good I hadn't noticed before, a sure mark of a classic. One time it was Leigh driving in heavy rain, not knowing she'd turned off the main road. But if we're looking carefully, we know because gradually, lights of the cars behind her disappear, one by one, until there's just darkness, blackness behind her, a perfect setting for what's ahead.

Otherwise, there's Bram Stoker's "Dracula," and "Horror of Dracula," with Christopher Lee that I thought was especially well done.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:33 pm

Fallible wrote:Otherwise, there's Bram Stoker's "Dracula," and "Horror of Dracula," with Christopher Lee that I thought was especially well done.

ANYTHING with Christopher Lee is worth watching -- and most will go well with Halloween.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

DDMP20

Postby DDMP20 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:07 am

How about Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me.
"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens." -Thomas Jefferson

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:56 pm

bertilak wrote:
Fallible wrote:Otherwise, there's Bram Stoker's "Dracula," and "Horror of Dracula," with Christopher Lee that I thought was especially well done.

ANYTHING with Christopher Lee is worth watching -- and most will go well with Halloween.

Horrifyingly true. I think it was "Horror of Dracula" that most spooked me so that I couldn't sleep that night. The reason, as I recall from the late '50s, was the quick change of scenes from a routine, non-threatening one to the giant face of the Count. I usually can tell when the latter type of scene is coming up and get ready for it (hands over eyes, sometimes peeking between them so I can see what's happening while still avoiding the full force of it), but this time no warning whatsoever. It had such impact on me that whenever I saw Lee in a non-horror film many years later, I still saw Dracula in that fascinating face. I think most moviegoers felt the same.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:59 pm

Boogie Nights on Netflix!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

theunknowntech

Postby theunknowntech » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:09 pm

My wife and I saw Danny Boyle's 'Steve Jobs' today. This was a very good film, but it was almost entirely fictional. I realized in the first ten minutes that the film is best appreciated as a fantasia based on certain events that happened in Jobs' life. It is not a biopic. I can understand why many people who knew Jobs were upset by it.

Fassbender was amazing, as usual. Possibly another Oscar nomination.

We were the only two people in the theater. That is perhaps as it should be. You don't want to give people the wrong idea.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:34 am

theunknowntech wrote:My wife and I saw Danny Boyle's 'Steve Jobs' today. This was a very good film, but it was almost entirely fictional. I realized in the first ten minutes that the film is best appreciated as a fantasia based on certain events that happened in Jobs' life. It is not a biopic. I can understand why many people who knew Jobs were upset by it.

We were the only two people in the theater. That is perhaps as it should be. You don't want to give people the wrong idea.

I want to see movie. Do you recommend?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

theunknowntech

Postby theunknowntech » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:53 am

abuss368 wrote:
theunknowntech wrote:My wife and I saw Danny Boyle's 'Steve Jobs' today. This was a very good film, but it was almost entirely fictional. I realized in the first ten minutes that the film is best appreciated as a fantasia based on certain events that happened in Jobs' life. It is not a biopic. I can understand why many people who knew Jobs were upset by it.

I really liked the movie, it's very good taken on its own terms. Sorkin really toned his stuff down. But's it's almost completely fictional. _Some_ of the broader plot points actually happened. It kind of makes me wonder to what extent 'The Social Network' had any connection to reality.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:55 am

theunknowntech wrote:
abuss368 wrote:

I really liked the movie, it's very good taken on its own terms. Sorkin really toned his stuff down. But's it's almost completely fictional. _Some_ of the broader plot points actually happened. It kind of makes me wonder to what extent 'The Social Network' had any connection to reality.

Thank you for the update.

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:35 pm

I was on a long flight yesterday and started watching movies. The first was the recent Mad Max sequel. I gave it a half hour and cancelled. Too violent, too much reference to sequences in the past movies. What I saw was a waste of Charlize Theron.

On to Terminator Genesis. Interesting at first to see Arnold again. But again so violent and so derivative. Again a half hour was enough for me. On to Jurassic World. More enjoyable than the other two, but so predictable that the special effects wore thin fast. I gave it an hour and moved to my x-words and books.

Or maybe it's my hearing? The combination of engine noise and the poor headphones makes it hard for me to get the dialog all the time. My headphones did not fit the seat plugin. At home I do close captioning. Probably could have done that in-flight but didn't think about it at the time.

telemark

Postby telemark » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:02 pm

Walt Disney Short Films Collection (great title, eh?) on Netflix. I'm not a big Disney fan, but I like animation and there's some interesting stuff here, some of it rather dark.

But be warned: when the animators start talking about getting to explore the characters, what they really mean is lots and lots of slapstick.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:48 am

Netflix does have whole list of new movies for November. Check new releases as they are adding over many days this month.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:50 am

heartwood wrote:I was on a long flight yesterday and started watching movies. The first was the recent Mad Max sequel. I gave it a half hour and cancelled. Too violent, too much reference to sequences in the past movies. What I saw was a waste of Charlize Theron.

On to Terminator Genesis. Interesting at first to see Arnold again. But again so violent and so derivative. Again a half hour was enough for me. On to Jurassic World. More enjoyable than the other two, but so predictable that the special effects wore thin fast. I gave it an hour and moved to my x-words and books.

Or maybe it's my hearing? The combination of engine noise and the poor headphones makes it hard for me to get the dialog all the time. My headphones did not fit the seat plugin. At home I do close captioning. Probably could have done that in-flight but didn't think about it at the time.

Arnold is "da man"!

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:35 pm

Spotlight. A group of investigative reporters for the Boston Globe look into the Catholic Church's systematic cover-up of the crimes of pedophile priests. One of the best movies of the year. Engrossing and suspenseful. Liev Schreiber and Stanley Tucci stand out among the excellent cast.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... ight-thing

Spectre. I don't go to many James Bond movies these days, but I very much enjoyed this one. Many references to earlier films in the series. A very handsome production.

amateurnovice

Postby amateurnovice » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:52 am

abuss368 wrote:Boogie Nights on Netflix!

I recently watched this on Netflix as well. I'm a huge Paul Thomas Anderson fan. I've seen Hard Eight, which I thought was good if not slightly dull. There Will Be Blood is definitely one of my favorite all-time films. Magnolia is superb and touching. Punch Drunk Love has its moments. I would have to say I was let down by both The Master and Inherent Vice, but I plan to rewatch Inherent Vice at some point so I can see what all I missed. I think my toddler intervened too much during the first viewing. From what I could tell, it's one of those films you really have to devote all of your attention to.

Regarding Boogie Nights, I just watched it last Wednesday, and this is about the fourth time I've seen it since I first did back in high school. It has two parts to it, like Full Metal Jacket. The first half is entry into that world, like basic training. Then, the script flips. After the 1980's begin, it all starts to unravel, like it was meant to. It's a great movie, complete with moments of sadness, disgust, and hilarity (these are more subtle, like the "heist" scene and pretty much every time Reed Rothchild talks), but in the end it's a tale of redemption and acceptance. You have to choose what life you're meant for and stick with it. This was right after Wahlberg did Fear and helped make him a star.

TimeToThink

Postby TimeToThink » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Terminator Genesis..Arnold "is back!" and is "not obsolete." I watched it on demand and in the beginning I was asking my wife to help piece together the timeline so I could appreciate it more. Overall, it was a good flick. Arnold will be Arnold. He does his schtick looking for a cheap laugh maybe a couple of times more than one would care for, but it was no big deal.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:40 am

TimeToThink wrote:Terminator Genesis..Arnold "is back!" and is "not obsolete." I watched it on demand and in the beginning I was asking my wife to help piece together the timeline so I could appreciate it more. Overall, it was a good flick. Arnold will be Arnold. He does his schtick looking for a cheap laugh maybe a couple of times more than one would care for, but it was no big deal.

I saw this movie and agree it was very good. Arnold is back! I believe he is making the Terminator movie.

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:27 am

Burnt starring Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller

Since I am a fan of the Food Network, Bravo Top Chef, and
enjoy fine dining this was a great movie about a down-and-out
chef who is making a come back. The stellar chef has past
baggage to overcome but is a top ace in the kitchen. Great
story about perseverance and overcoming obstacles to realize
your full potential.
Last edited by wilson08 on Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:26 pm

"Meet the Patels". If your a parent watch it.
Quirky but well done. The Dad is a gem.

selftalk

Postby selftalk » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:45 pm

The King Of Scotland.

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:32 pm

wilson08 wrote:"Burnt" starring Bradley Cooper and Sienna Miller

Since I am a fan of the Food Network, Bravo Top Chef, and
enjoy fine dining this was a great movie about a down-and-out
chef who is making a come back. The stellar chef has past
baggage to overcome but is a top ace in the kitchen. Great
story about perseverance and overcoming obstacles to realize
your full potential.

I love cooking and so I was intrigued by your review. This movie is getting savaged pretty bad by the critics .... 27% by Rotten Tomatoes. I think I'll wait for some more reviews. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:33 pm

selftalk wrote:The King Of Scotland.

Did you like it? What is point of just naming a movie? Come on ... put a little effort in.

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:41 pm

abuss368 wrote:
heartwood wrote:I was on a long flight yesterday and started watching movies. The first was the recent Mad Max sequel. I gave it a half hour and cancelled. Too violent, too much reference to sequences in the past movies. What I saw was a waste of Charlize Theron.

Arnold is "da man"!

I love action movies ... but seriously other than Terminator I and II, it has not been that great for Arnold has it? Just my opinion of course. He's super wooden ... big guy with muscles is his main attraction I think. I actually liked Pumping Iron .... but not because of his acting.

Traveller

Postby Traveller » Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:13 pm

Two nights ago I found myself home alone as the family was all away doing their own things. For the first time in forever, I hoped in the car and went to the movie theater alone and watched Spectre (the new bond film). I am a sucker for 007 movies, and I liked this one too. Not the best, but far from the worst.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:42 pm

"Man Hunt" on Netflix. A movie from 1941 regarding a British hunter who had an opportunity while walking in a forrest in Germany to assassinate Adolf Hitler.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:43 pm

I also watched "Hitler's Riches" on Netflix. Interesting short documentary based on Hitler's income tax filings, net worth, and his will.

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:04 pm

Tremors 5. :oops: on Netflix.
Fartblasters are featured along with Michael Goss.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:27 pm

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane, 1976 featuring Jodi Foster and Martin Sheen. It was released after Taxi Driver. Her performance in this movie was excellent and rather creepy for a 13-14 year old. Unlike today's movie, it is rather short but to the point, with none of the fluff.

Beezthree

Postby Beezthree » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:22 am

jginseattle wrote:Sicario is a brilliant, brutal drug-war thriller from director Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Enemy). Excellent cinematography by Roger Deakins.

my favorite movie of the year.

theunknowntech

Postby theunknowntech » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:15 am

Beezthree wrote:
jginseattle wrote:Sicario is a brilliant, brutal drug-war thriller from director Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners, Enemy). Excellent cinematography by Roger Deakins.

my favorite movie of the year.

Seconded, gripping from beginning to end. A fantasia of "does this make any sense at all" and then it recovers and it does. Quite a trip.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:59 pm

"Inside Out," Pixar's new film, most of which takes place inside the mind of an 11-year-old girl whose feelings are acted out in Joy, Sadness, Anger, Fear (couldn't help thinking of investors), and Disgust. This approach alone I thought made it fascinating and at times fun and funny. Overall, it felt overproduced or overdone or over-something, even over-Pixared. Worse, it felt over-imagined, if that's possible (the islands and Abstract Thought in particular), or at least imagined to the point where I wondered what was left for viewers, especially kids, to imagine. And what was wrong with Riley's new home, even compared (or over-compared) to what seemed an over-idealized previous home? It's a lot nicer than millions of real kids have or ever will have.

selftalk

Postby selftalk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Spotlight.

blacktupelo

Postby blacktupelo » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:24 pm

The Martian. Good rendition of the book and the Mars scenery was excellent. Pretty good science and engineering though I doubt that the Earth-Mars transport would provide as much room as shown for the crew. More space = more material = more fuel needed. Compare to what the ISS interior spaces look like for more realistic situation.

If China and the USA and Europe could cooperate Mars exploration might become a reality but right now Congress has decided NASA can't do any cooperation with China.
Larry

kaudrey

Postby kaudrey » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:23 am

blacktupelo wrote:The Martian. Good rendition of the book and the Mars scenery was excellent. Pretty good science and engineering though I doubt that the Earth-Mars transport would provide as much room as shown for the crew. More space = more material = more fuel needed. Compare to what the ISS interior spaces look like for more realistic situation.

If China and the USA and Europe could cooperate Mars exploration might become a reality but right now Congress has decided NASA can't do any cooperation with China.

I saw this over the weekend, too. I very much enjoyed it (I haven't read the book).

My DH recapped it as "Castaway on Mars". :D

telemark

Postby telemark » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:41 am

Fallible wrote:"Inside Out," Pixar's new film

I like the idea, and the story is perfect for the medium, and parts of it were really fun. And yet, somehow, it didn't quite deliver on whatever I had imagined it was going to be. What kind of a story is it? I'm still not sure.

traveler90

Postby traveler90 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:42 am

Spotlight is probably the best movie I have seen so far this year. Excellent acting and a great script.

9.5/10

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”