What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
snowshoes

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby snowshoes » Sat May 30, 2015 8:08 pm

Money-Driven Medicine, and Doctors of the Darkside, and "Fight to Live" the FDA!! :happy free on Amazon Prime*.

reneeh63

Postby reneeh63 » Sun May 31, 2015 11:19 am

Having never read the classic, I really enjoyed "Far from the Madding Crowd". It's totally a period romance obviously, but well done and an enjoyable change from the typical summer action adventures.

Have to say I REALLY hated the new Mad Max - I have no idea why it got all the positive reviews it did.

telemark

Postby telemark » Sun May 31, 2015 1:16 pm

Tomorrowland reminds me a bit of Philip Dick. Not as overtly as the Matrix movies did, but it has the same wild originality, disdain for scientific credibility, and ability to get you halfway or more into the story without having the slightest idea what is going on or even what kind of story it's going to be. Disney is having trouble marketing this, and I can sort of see why. In an industry of sequels this isn't like any other movie.

Things explode. Heads roll (robot heads). No breasts (it's Disney). Gratuitous Clooney. Telemark Bob says check it out :wink:

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Sun May 31, 2015 10:17 pm

Went to see San Andreas last night . We tried to see it on friday but even coming half an hour early, the IMAX 3D show was sold out, so we came back the next day. Californians apparently love to watch the utter destruction of their state.
The movie was very entertaining.

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:22 am

Apocalypto

I felt ok for the first 10 minutes then Mel Gibsons movie reminded me of the underlying depravity of Homo Sapiens.

Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:30 pm

Up in The Air - movie with a Boglehead theme.
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter

amateurnovice

Postby amateurnovice » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:40 am

reggiesimpson wrote:Apocalypto

I felt ok for the first 10 minutes then Mel Gibsons movie reminded me of the underlying depravity of Homo Sapiens.

Interesting. I just watched this as well, for the first time since it came out. Some of it I had forgotten about, specifically the human sacrifices. It's a decent film and Gibson certainly knows how to bring a story to the screen.

Also recently watched Catch Me If You Can (about 3rd time, fun movie) and Basic (Travolta/Jackson from 2003, 1 star, clunky story).

kttpn

Postby kttpn » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:05 am

Far From the Madding Crowd. (theatre)
Well done period film with compelling story, wonderful costuming in a lush setting. Amazing to me that Thomas Hardy as a Victorian male can create such an amazing female character.

Chef (rental)
Just plain light and fun.

Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:54 am

"Kill The Messenger" about the funding of Contras and CIA involvement in narcotics trafficking.

Wow, these kinds of movies always get to me.

Well acted, fast paced, worth seeing.

BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter

market timer

Postby market timer » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:48 am

Nightcrawler - excellent
Kingsmen - OK

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Poltergeist 3D. Not as bad as the reviews let me believe, but still not a great movie.

Tomorrowland. It's OK, entertaining. But still, it's a Disney movie with all that entails.

Insidious : chapter 3. This one is so bad, it almost works as a comedy, at least with the audience we had in the full theater last night which couldn't stop talking/laughing.
I think we need to watch those B horror movies at home, they work better alone.

livesoft

Postby livesoft » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:35 pm

Kung Fury - free on youtube. Don't hassle the Hoff9000.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

telemark

Postby telemark » Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:44 pm

Roundabout wuxia. I wondered if How to Train Your Dragon is on Netflix. It isn't, but I did find Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, a Tsui Hark movie with Jet Li. Not very far in I found myself thinking "I've seen this story before", and I had: it's a remake of a 1992 movie also produced by Tsui Hark, New Dragon Gate Inn, which itself is a remake of a 1966 movie. I saw the 1992 version when it was first released, and it's on Youtube now so I watched it again. I think I fell in love with Brigitte Lin the first time I saw it.

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:01 am

"Birdman" - :thumbsdown

"Inherent Vice" - Unintelligible ... turned it off after 30 minutes.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:04 am

Life of Pi. A very bad attempt to teach a life's lesson through the eyes of a teenager.

The main character follows the belief of several major religions, which I think is intended to appeal to a broad audience (bring in more revenue). Take a stereotypical view mixed with politically correct terminology and simplify it for a G rated audience. Use this as the basis for a fairy tale, throw in some fantasy scenes, have a happy ending, and call it done.

The box cover calls this movie "the next Avatar." Not by a long shot. Don't confuse technical difficulty with creativity. This movie can be skipped with no regrets.

OTOH, my husband liked it.

Update: Changed reason for multiple religions.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:33 pm

Clouds of Sils Maria
A middle-aged actress prepares for a difficult role and conflicts with a current
young star of cheesy sci-fi films.

The Trial of Viviane Amsalem
Incredible human drama focused on the difficulty of an Israeli woman trying
to get a divorce in a religious court. Difficult to watch at times---insightful,
tragic, and stark with some humor occasionally sprinkled in.

HurdyGurdy

Postby HurdyGurdy » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:35 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metropolis_%281927_film%29

Beautiful. I though it was really a ballet.

On the other hand, I was unable to appreciate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intolerance_(film).

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:23 pm

Last night, on Netflix, I watched The Boys are Back, starring Clive Owen. Pretty good. I've liked most of the stuff Clive Owen has done.
Gordon

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:44 am

Leviathan - one man against a corrupt system in small-town Russia. Very, very depressing, but great movie nonetheless.
Super 8 - loved it, felt like watching a good old-fashioned summer blockbuster.
Unbroken - story of WWII veteran (and Olympic athlete) Louie Zamperini who was stranded at sea for 40+ days, later taken as Japanese PoW. Amazing story but film was way too long and tedious.
The November Man - Pierce Brosnan spy thriller. Terrible plot, awful movie.

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:11 am

d0gerz wrote:Leviathan - one man against a corrupt system in small-town Russia. Very, very depressing, but great movie nonetheless.

This is a great movie but like you say be prepared to have your mood altered. I love the way the director created this foreboding sense of menace and impending disaster.

batpot

Postby batpot » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:30 pm

amateurnovice wrote:

Interesting. I just watched this as well, for the first time since it came out. Some of it I had forgotten about, specifically the human sacrifices. It's a decent film and Gibson certainly knows how to bring a story to the screen.

I quite like this film, but the ending is very polarizing. When you seen the Spanish ships at the end, it can generally be interpreted as "savings the savages" or "you ain't seen nothing yet". Given Gibson's beliefs, I hedge towards the former.

sans souliers

Postby sans souliers » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:32 pm

Okay, so this isn't a movie, but a series on Netflix. "Grace and Frankie" - - well, episode 1 made me laugh out loud. Lily Tomlin stole my heart a long time ago, and where she goes...there'll be laughs to follow.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:17 am

Internal Affairs on Netflix with RIchard Gere and Andy Garcia. From 1990 or so but I never saw the movie. I enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

miles monroe

Postby miles monroe » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:02 am

sans souliers wrote:Okay, so this isn't a movie, but a series on Netflix. "Grace and Frankie" - - well, episode 1 made me laugh out loud. Lily Tomlin stole my heart a long time ago, and where she goes...there'll be laughs to follow.

i watched the first 2 episodes and had the exact opposite reaction; i didn't find the show funny at all and hated lily tomlins role. we all have different tastes...

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:42 pm

miles monroe wrote:
sans souliers wrote:Okay, so this isn't a movie, but a series on Netflix. "Grace and Frankie" - - well, episode 1 made me laugh out loud. Lily Tomlin stole my heart a long time ago, and where she goes...there'll be laughs to follow.

i watched the first 2 episodes and had the exact opposite reaction; i didn't find the show funny at all and hated lily tomlins role. we all have different tastes...

Haven't seen it, but Lily Tomlin has annoyed me from Laugh In onward. OK, I did think she was funny with her famous line "Is this the party to whom I am speaking?" But that's it.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

SurfCityBill

Postby SurfCityBill » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:33 pm

Shawshank Redemption

El Machina

Both very good.

avenger

Postby avenger » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:48 pm

I agree. I think it's hilarious. We watched the first two episodes last night.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [Four fund portfolio + Stable Value fund]

miles monroe

Postby miles monroe » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:15 am

gkaplan wrote:Nobody's Fool, starring Paul Newman, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith, and Jessica Tandy. In this 1994 film, directed by Robert Benton and based on a Richard Russo novel, Paul Newman plays a loner who walked out on his family years ago and now lives in a small town working for a contractor (Willis) and flirting with the contractor's wife (Griffith). Newman received an Oscar nomination. Tandy, in her last film, plays his landlady and former high school teacher who is just a little disappointed with his dissolute ways and lack of ambition. I saw this some years back on cable, but I enjoyed seeing it again.

Good Ol' Freda, a 2013 documentary that profiles Freda Kelly, who was a shy Liverpudlian teen when she was asked to work for a local band looking for fame: The Beatles. This is very well done and brings back a lot of memories, a lot of good memories. Freda Kelly was there at the beginning and at the end.

thats for the write up.

i watched nobody's fool and enjoyed it even tho it is not my type of movie. great cast. i think i was more surprised than bruce willis was when melanie griffith (not gonna write a spoiler).

good ol freda sounds good and thats on my list.

Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:19 am

I enjoyed Nobody's Fool, but maybe more so because it was based on the work of Richard Russo.

This current prison break in the news has me wanting to catch a prison movie. The prison in the news was featured in a movie, but now the name of it escapes me.

BFG

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:28 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:This current prison break in the news has me wanting to catch a prison movie. The prison in the news was featured in a movie, but now the name of it escapes me.

BFG

More than one commentator has compared the escape to Shawshank Redemption.
(But it wasn't filmed there.)

Plenty of other good ones come to mind: Escape from Alcatraz, Brubaker, Cool Hand Luke, The Green Mile, Papillon, Midnight Express.

miles monroe

Postby miles monroe » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:07 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:I enjoyed Nobody's Fool, but maybe more so because it was based on the work of Richard Russo.

This current prison break in the news has me wanting to catch a prison movie. The prison in the news was featured in a movie, but now the name of it escapes me.

BFG

convicts 4?

JohnFiscal

Postby JohnFiscal » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:21 pm

jstrange1970 wrote:John Wick.

It was surpisingly good ...

Yes, this movie was awesome. I wasn't too eager to go but wife wanted to. She was disappointed, I loved it.

On the other hand, we saw Mad Max: Fury Road. That was all action but little plot, little character development, little development of just what the heck was going on. Whereas, John Wick had all of these, plus amazing action.

Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:34 pm

As a side note, the prison in the news, the Clinton Correction Facility is perfect to set the mood for a movie. It's not gothic and scary, but more stark and forboding, like a big steel holding tank for human beings. It's very much a huge wall that meets the curb of a street - no sense of aesthetics at all, but I suppose that's intentional.

It's going to bug me that I cannot recall the name of the movie or documentary. I'll call the local Chamber after the buzz dies down.

BFG

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:04 am

Finally saw the latest Mad Max movie: Fury Road. Let's face it, when don't watch these movies to see something about character development, feelings, life philosophy or what have ... this is a Mad Max Movie for god's sake. :D

That said, this is the worst movie of the franchise. The new Max just grunts out his lines (maybe since he's not Australian? and they don't want that obvious deficiency to be questioned?). There is no humor, there are not great bad guys (This is huge. Remember the introduction from The Road Warrior? "He is the Lord Humungous .... Warrior of the Wasteland. The Ayatollah of Rock-an-Rolla!!!!" Come on. Or even the huge villian with his midget controller in Thunderdome?????) ... some geeky guy with a skull mask that never projects much menace about anything is all we get in this movie.

The humor thing is huge. Remember the funny bits with the Blue Heeler and the Gyrocopter Pilot ... "It's my snake, go get your own snake if you want one ... "

Oh well. If you're a Max fan, you have to see it but this movie is a long long long way away from being "The Road Warrior"

market timer

Postby market timer » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:22 pm

I've wanted to see "La Grande Bellezza" ("The Great Beauty") for a while--finally caught a screening at a film festival. The story involves a 65-year-old writer/socialite who is trying to arrange his life's denouement. This was one of the best movies I've seen in the past year. Fantastic cinematography and score.

SHL

Postby SHL » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:27 pm

I watched "Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Part 1" on bluray disc. It was pretty intense, but had a beautiful film score.
Stephen

new2bogle

Postby new2bogle » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:08 pm

SurfCityBill wrote:Shawshank Redemption

El Machina

Both very good.

Do you mean Ex Machina?

It was good but not as great as the internets made it out to be.

new2bogle

Postby new2bogle » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:10 pm

I recently rewatched Interstellar. It solidified my belief that it's the 2nd best movie ever.

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:32 pm

new2bogle wrote:I recently rewatched Interstellar. It solidified my belief that it's the 2nd best movie ever.

Yes! Princess Bride remains number One! :thumbsup
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:03 pm

Mad Max: Fury Road is easily the best in the series.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... thony-lane

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:38 pm

jginseattle wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road is easily the best in the series.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... thony-lane

Yeah, I don't see it .... the critics all think it is great. Maybe they just hate the non-politically correct Gibson. The new Max is a zero ... (I think).

profnot

Postby profnot » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:01 am

Thanks for a great thread! I've just put in over a dozen requests at my regional library's website.

My contribution -

Painted Veil - A W. Somerset Maughm story set in the past in London and China. Naomi Watts & Edward Norton. Gorgeous, great story.

Shooting the Past with Liam Cunningham and Lindsay Duncan. A British photography museum has been purchased by a company who wants to sell off the best of the collection and discard the rest.

Red Cliff - 2 discs. Epic movie about the batttles in ca 208AD in China that ended the Han Dynasty. With cast of thousands, literally. English subtitles.

Eastern Promises with Viggo Mortensen & Naomi Watts. Set in London. NW is a midwife who stumbles into something big involving the Russian mob.

Mao's Last Dancer. Young male ballet dancer's life and defection to US. Great dance scenes. Great story.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy (aka Millenium Trilogy) - the original Swedish movies. English subtitles.

Vitus - charming movie about a highly gifted boy who is a piano prodigy and more. Some delightful plot twists. German with English subtitles.

Fav TV series and miniseries
Annika Bengtzon, Crime Reporter. Set in Stockholm. Top notch. English subtitles.

Heat of the Sun with Trevor Eve. Set in Africa.

Kidnap & Ransom also with Trevor Eve. International hostage negotiator

Waking the Dead about a London team put together to solve cold case murders. Quality up there with Prime Suspect. Luckily it went on for years.

Sons of Anarchy about a motorcycle gang in the Gold Country in Northern California. I don't usually like shows/movies with this much violence but this series is fantastic. By the same people who produced the Sopranos and Mad Men. I found out about it because I happened to have a nice long meeting with one of the stars.

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Lebanon, 2009, about the 1982 Lebanon War; think of it as Das Boot in a tank with 4 Israeli soldiers graduated from high school.

The Relief of Belsen, 2007 - I caught the movie since I like the actor from GOT, Iain Glen who played Lt. Col. Johnston, the hero of Quetta (Pakistan earthquake), who tried to rescue war prisoners from the spread of typhoid. It's not for the fainted heart. It was the worst of time and the best of time.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:22 am

Coraline. I thought this was a Tim Burton movie and liked it a lot. Very creative and entertaining - if you like Tim Burton movies. The movie is rated PG for a few "adult" situations. There was a theater scene which may have caused the PG rating - I thought it was hilarious.

However, Tim Burton had nothing to do with it. Credit goes to the director of The Nightmare Before Christmas - Henry Selick.

My husband thought it was OK ("meh").
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

House Blend

Postby House Blend » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:34 am

Kill the Messenger. Very good drama about investigative journalism. "Based on a true story" (i.e., exaggerated for maximum manipulative effect).

Not at the level of All the President's Men, but still compelling.

VictoriaF

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:50 am

Joker Game, a Japanese film I watched on a cross-Atlantic flight. I picked it among numerous in-flight entertainment options because a joker has a special significance to me, but the film itself was also enjoyable. It is full of action, but the action is more intelligent and elegant than in a typical action movie. I also appreciated the role reversal: a Japanese secret agent was like a James Bond, whereas the British and other agents were fumbling amateurs.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

cfs

Postby cfs » Sun Jun 14, 2015 2:21 pm

My last two

At the movies (big screen): The Imitation Game (awesome movie)

At home (not so big screen): The Way (inspirational movie)
~ Luke 10:25-37 ~

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:07 pm

batpot wrote:
amateurnovice wrote:

I quite like this film, but the ending is very polarizing. When you seen the Spanish ships at the end, it can generally be interpreted as "savings the savages" or "you ain't seen nothing yet". Given Gibson's beliefs, I hedge towards the former.

Hmmm? I'm guessing the latter as Gibson already knows whats going to happen and he certainly has a good understanding of the violent nature of H. Sapiens as depicted by the movie. Redux

mbk734

Postby mbk734 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:34 pm

Sci Fi- Dark City: kind of like the matrix, really interesting. Eraserhead - very strange movie but good.
Horror Spoof - The Fearless Vampire Killers with Roman Polanski - very funny and good spoof of Dracula films.
Romantic- Romeo and Juliet (Zeffirelli 1968) - Classic story, well done.
Foreign - House of Flying Daggers - awesome cinematography
Classic - Moby Dick starring Gregory Peck as Captain Ahab
Favorite Bond Movie - Live and Let Die
Kung Fu - Drunken Master - One of Jackie Chan's Best
Comedy - Strangers with Candy - Hilarious drug addict returns to high school
Last edited by mbk734 on Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

htdrag11

Postby htdrag11 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:57 pm

mbk734 wrote:Foreign - Curse of the Flying Daggers - awesome cinematography

Which one of these did you see or both?

Curse of the Golden Flower; House of Flying Daggers (great cinematography - Yes).

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”