What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ivyhedge

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by ivyhedge » Thu May 07, 2015 10:08 am

Guardians of the Galaxy.

Good fun, in a Starship Troopers Light kind of way. GotG lacked the gratuitous awesomeness of the latter, but was enjoyable.

I.Am.Groot!
Polymath.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu May 07, 2015 9:32 pm

"Client #9" on Netflix. Essentially the rise and fall of Elliot Spitzer. Very good.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

matti

Post by matti » Thu May 07, 2015 9:33 pm

As Above, So Below.
Red Lights.

sans souliers

Post by sans souliers » Thu May 07, 2015 11:13 pm

Ex Machina

Hey guys, if you could design a robot, what would you consider the necessary components? Of course! Sexy lady robot! Subservient, doesn't talk much, keeps anticipating your needs, ... just make sure the robot doesn't get her hands on the remote, or your goose is cooked. Whoops, too late. FUN fantasy movie now showing at your cineplex.
I have to say -- the man-cave minimalist decor was distracting me. Now I want dramatic backlit furniture and baseboard lighting.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat May 16, 2015 12:55 am

denismurf

Post by denismurf » Sat May 16, 2015 1:50 am

Levett wrote:Over the weekend I saw Wild Tales in Miami.

It's a unique and unusually creative Argentinian film.

Loved it. :thumbsup

It's actually 5 different stories about what people can do for revenge if they get really ticked off about some injustice they've suffered.

Lots of laughs and gore. I give it 4/5.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sat May 16, 2015 7:44 am

jginseattle wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road is crazy good!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/15/movie ... years.html

Bought tickets for 10:30 am showing today; will post later. The review for this one has been great, better than Avengers from couple of weeks ago (OD with too much Marvel Comics?).

>>>>
Part II - saw it but the theater was no where near as crowded, wastes $2.70 Fandango service charge.

The initial 20-25 minutes were non-stop actions, a classic violet popcorn flick. I thought that the star was Charlize, not Tom; she could kick butt.

I definitely preferred this more than Ultron, only 2 hours short and compact.
Last edited by htdrag11 on Sat May 16, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loves2read

Post by loves2read » Sat May 16, 2015 8:13 am

Went to see "Hot Pursuit" w/Reese Witherspoon and Sophia Vigara from Modern Family--
my husband loves Modern Family...
was embarassed for Reese Witherspoon--
she was Oscar-nominated for "Wild" and then did "Hot Pursuit"--
just tacky--and she was xecutive producer so maybe had some money in the movie as well
getting trounced by Avengers but obviously cheap to make--lots of locals and shot in Louisiana so imagine production costs were low--LA gives money packages to shoot movies there...
Want to see "Far From the Madding Crowd" and will see "Mad Max'--that is going to be assault on the senses--I will have my ear plugs...

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Sat May 16, 2015 10:03 am

I'll just my recommendation for Ex Machina. An excellent sci-fi movie ... thought provoking.

An much older documentary: The Aristocrats directed by Penn and Teller. It's about the worlds
dirtiest grossest joke (usually comedians just tell it to each other). There are some great great scenes
in it ....

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sat May 16, 2015 2:05 pm

pezblanco wrote:I'll just my recommendation for Ex Machina. An excellent sci-fi movie ... thought provoking.

An much older documentary: The Aristocrats directed by Penn and Teller. It's about the worlds
dirtiest grossest joke (usually comedians just tell it to each other). There are some great great scenes
in it ....

Love the ending. Some flaws but overall very enjoyable.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat May 16, 2015 6:06 pm

I've watched several documentaries on Netflix in the past week:

Hitler's Children: This 2011 Israeli-German documentary portrays the struggle of family members Hitler's inner circle with the burden of a family legacy and surname identified with the horrors of the Holocaust. The descendants of the most senior Nazis describe the conflicted feelings of guilt and responsibility they carry with them in their daily lives. I thought this was well made and, for me, very engrossing.

Battle of Britain: the Real Story: This 2010 documentary re-examines Britain's “finest hour” and its actual nature, analyzing intelligence records and eyewitness accounts from both sides. This was exhaustive and well done.

The First World War from Above: This 2010 documentary captures the battlefields of Word War I, revealing the destruction and devastation across Europe, using archival footage from 1919.The film captures the trenches and battlefields, featuring aerial photographs taken by First World War pilots. I thought it was pretty boring.

Death Camp Treblinka: Survivor Stories: The only two survivors of the Treblinka concentration camp recount the horrors they experienced and tell of their lives after escaping in a revolt. This is a well done 2012 BBC documentary.
Gordon

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Sat May 16, 2015 7:15 pm

FURY For those of you that like a really good WWII movie that`s it.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sat May 16, 2015 8:23 pm

Hitler's Children in Netflix. Sad.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

jrmillions

Post by jrmillions » Sat May 16, 2015 10:08 pm

Goodfellas for the 10000th time

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Sat May 16, 2015 11:41 pm

//"Doctored"//: on Amazon. Yes, It suggest "do no harm" first and foremost, its indeed thought provoking.
Last edited by snowshoes on Sat May 30, 2015 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sun May 17, 2015 12:20 am

A Man For All Seasons. Best Picture 1967. Recommended.
On the turntable: Cat Stevens: Moonshadow

blevine

Post by blevine » Sun May 17, 2015 5:39 am

sans souliers wrote:Ex Machina

Hey guys, if you could design a robot, what would you consider the necessary components? Of course! Sexy lady robot! Subservient, doesn't talk much, keeps anticipating your needs, ... just make sure the robot doesn't get her hands on the remote, or your goose is cooked. Whoops, too late. FUN fantasy movie now showing at your cineplex.
I have to say -- the man-cave minimalist decor was distracting me. Now I want dramatic backlit furniture and baseboard lighting.

Check to make sure you and those you know are real !

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 17, 2015 10:09 am

Rushmore. This movie got quite a number of good reviews, including a nomination for Bill Murray as the best supporting actor. OK, I can see how BIll Murray got the supporting actor award, but I walked away from that movie with mixed feelings.

This is one of those movies that critics love, yet may not appeal to some. I'm not impressed.

The movie is closer to a black comedy than a "funny" comedy. I'd say it's a "coming of age" movie with a dark twist. If you want a change of pace, this movie might be worth a quick look. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

The DVD case stated "The Best American Comedy Since Annie Hall" - not a chance.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun May 17, 2015 8:00 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Rushmore. This movie got quite a number of good reviews, including a nomination for Bill Murray as the best supporting actor. OK, I can see how BIll Murray got the supporting actor award, but I walked away from that movie with mixed feelings.

This is one of those movies that critics love, yet may not appeal to some. I'm not impressed.

The movie is closer to a black comedy than a "funny" comedy. I'd say it's a "coming of age" movie with a dark twist. If you want a change of pace, this movie might be worth a quick look. Otherwise, I'd skip it.

Rushmore is a Wes Anderson film, and Mr. Anderson certainly has a unique vision. His last film was The Grand Budapest Hotel, which was nominated for Best Picture. Overall, I enjoy his work, but it's not for everybody. :happy

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun May 17, 2015 9:07 pm

jginseattle wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Rushmore. This movie got quite a number of good reviews, including a nomination for Bill Murray as the best supporting actor. OK, I can see how BIll Murray got the supporting actor award, but I walked away from that movie with mixed feelings.

Rushmore is a Wes Anderson film, and Mr. Anderson certainly has a unique vision. His last film was The Grand Budapest Hotel, which was nominated for Best Picture. Overall, I enjoy his work, but it's not for everybody. :happy

Agree with all. I really liked "Hotel," but after the first ten or so minutes of "Rushmore," I was done. Yes, Anderson is like that.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun May 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Here is a funny story about Wes Anderson screening his movie Rushmore for the great film critic Pauline Kael. She was not impressed.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/31/movie ... -kael.html

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun May 17, 2015 10:37 pm

jginseattle wrote:Here is a funny story about Wes Anderson screening his movie Rushmore for the great film critic Pauline Kael. She was not impressed.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/01/31/movie ... -kael.html

Thanks for posting. It's funnier ('Did the people who gave you the money read the script?") than the "comedy" Anderson made.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon May 18, 2015 6:13 am

I watched the first episode of Bosch on Amazon streaming video last night. I think there are 10 episodes. I believe all are currently free.

Bosch is based upon the character from the Michael Connelly books. In fact the first episode is directly from one of the books. Titus Welliver plays Bosch. He played well but its always an adjustment to see an actor portray someone you've seen in your mind from reading the book. He's much closer to my image of Bosch than Tom Cruise was of Jack Reacher. In fact it was interesting to see the choices for so many of the Connelly characters.

I do plan to watch the rest of the series. By the time the new Connelly book comes out (in November?) I'm sure Welliver will be my image of Bosch, as Matthew McConaughey is now my image of Mickey Haller.

Munir

Post by Munir » Mon May 18, 2015 9:43 am

" A Hijacking"- a Danish film about the hijacking of a ship by Somali pirates. Excellent all-around. Main actors are the same as in "Borgen", another excellent Danish equivalent of "House of Cards". Unfortunately, Hollywood is not rising to the standards of such Danish films.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon May 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Pitch perfect 2 : very funny comedy. Now I will have to rent the first one.

Max Max : fury road. I thought it was terribly boring. I must be in the minority obviously since this movie gets 98% on rotten tomatoes. But my husband felt the same way I did. I had never seen any other Mad Max movie before so didn't know what to expect.

Avengers : Age of Ultron . I thought it was entertaining.

A girl walks home alone at night : could not really get into this, just too slow, and utter lack of dialogue. It is black and white and was almost silent. Kind of the opposite of the 2 preceding movies.

market timer

Post by market timer » Mon May 18, 2015 9:10 pm

madbrain wrote:Max Max : fury road. I thought it was terribly boring. I must be in the minority obviously since this movie gets 98% on rotten tomatoes. But my husband felt the same way I did. I had never seen any other Mad Max movie before so didn't know what to expect.

I felt the same.

zoralsurgeon

Post by zoralsurgeon » Mon May 18, 2015 9:31 pm

2 Documentaries and one movie that every one should watch! Fascinating, scary, and down right crazy all at the same time.

1. "The Jinx": Story of Robert Durst. Do NOT read about him before you watch this.. just watch it and then you can google the recent news. It will ruin it if you read about it first.

2. "Going Clear: The Prison of Scientology": Just watch it

3. Gone Girl: Makes me happy that I chose who I did as my spouse :wink:
"Son stop fighting the fight it's already been won"… I am redeemed, you set me free. No I'm not who I used to be… I am redeemed!" - Big Daddy Weave

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Tue May 19, 2015 12:47 pm

"Numbers Station" on Netflix. I enjoyed the movie.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue May 19, 2015 2:40 pm

madbrain wrote:Pitch perfect 2 : very funny comedy. Now I will have to rent the first one.

its on cable tv tonite at 8:30 and tomorrow at 5:30 according to imdb. abc family. i wanted to see the first one in one sitting before seeing 2 (i'd seen bits and pieces over the last year or so). i rented it last nite becasue tonite is the basketball game.

it was acagreat. :)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun May 24, 2015 7:52 am

Nightcrawler. I really liked this one. The suspense builds up on you.

Given the situation, I thought the "boss / employee" dialogue was hilarious. The lines aren't funny, but I'll never think of performance reviews in the same way again.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

loves2read

Post by loves2read » Sun May 24, 2015 8:55 am

I guess movies are our thing because we go at least once a week--
have seen all the movies recently posted except for the SyFy Ex Machina one--
just didn't care for previews

Agree that "Bosch" on Amazon Prime is very well done detective series--
Titus Welliver did overcome my initial reservations about being Harry Bosch--
not that enamored of the woman playing his girl friend--thought she was just not that convincing and he is such a good reader of people it would be difficult to ignore all her clues.
Enjoyed Scott Wilson in small part as the doctor--he was the jilted husband in "Great Gatsby" with Redford/Farrow who killed Gatsby....I love his voice...wish he did more voice-over work because commercials would be bearable...

Saw "Far From Madding Crowd" last night with audience of 99% people over 40....
it is very good adaptation of Hardy's novel--maybe not as charasmatic as the 67 version w/Julie Christie and Alan Bates...love Michael Sheen and he is especially good in role of man who is driven mad by love...Casey Mulligan I thought was little too old for Bathsheba--character is more Emma Stone's age-- Gabriel Oak character played by someone I did not know that well---thought he lacked the physicality of Bates but did good job.
Did not care for actor playing Frank Troy--looked like boy vs man IMO--but he was good at bringing empathy to the part of unlikeable fellow...

Watching "Motive" on YouTube--which is Canadian police procedural that ran on US tv for S1 and S2--delayed of course--wasn't picked up for S3 but like the two leads and seeing something just a little different from US shows...way less gunplay in this...

We watched "The Roosevelts" series by Burns on Amazon Prime--interesting insights into how those famous people became icons...Teddy R was great man, president but had his flaws.
FRD wasn't all he was portrayed as--more like JFK than his uncle Theodore
T Roosevelt's sons had some cojones...not idle rich by any means

reneeh63

Post by reneeh63 » Sun May 24, 2015 5:22 pm

madbrain wrote:Pitch perfect 2 : very funny comedy. Now I will have to rent the first one.

Max Max : fury road. I thought it was terribly boring. I must be in the minority obviously since this movie gets 98% on rotten tomatoes. But my husband felt the same way I did. I had never seen any other Mad Max movie before so didn't know what to expect.

A girl walks home alone at night : could not really get into this, just too slow, and utter lack of dialogue. It is black and white and was almost silent. Kind of the opposite of the 2 preceding movies.

Totally agree about Mad Max - I could tell in 5 minutes I was going to hate it - if you just want to see a lot of gross freaks in a gritty nasty dystopia, have at it. I have NO idea how it got such great reviews - definitely not the same feel as the original.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun May 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Howard Hawks' Twentieth Century (1934.) A classic screwball comedy. John Barrymore is hilarious.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun May 24, 2015 6:35 pm

Several days ago, over a two-evening span, I watched the four-plus hour The Sorrow and the Pity on a DVD I had borrowed from my local library. (I originally saw this Marcel Ophuls 1969 documentary when it first came out and then some years back on television.) The documentary examines, through interviews with participants and newsreel footage, the German occupation of France during World War II as it occurred in Clermont-Ferrand. It concentrates on the themes of collaboration and resistance. In the aftermath of World War II, the French clung vehemently to a belief that they – and their Vichy government – had resisted the Nazi occupation of France. Ophuls' seminal documentary, however, finds that when the small city of Clermont-Ferrand is examined closely, the myth of French resistance slowly begins to crumble. Ophuls presents overwhelming evidence that the Vichy government willingly collaborated with German forces. Reasons range from fear to apathy to blatant anti-Semitism.

In the past week, I watched the following films on Netflix:

Nobody's Fool, starring Paul Newman, Bruce Willis, Melanie Griffith, and Jessica Tandy. In this 1994 film, directed by Robert Benton and based on a Richard Russo novel, Paul Newman plays a loner who walked out on his family years ago and now lives in a small town working for a contractor (Willis) and flirting with the contractor's wife (Griffith). Newman received an Oscar nomination. Tandy, in her last film, plays his landlady and former high school teacher who is just a little disappointed with his dissolute ways and lack of ambition. I saw this some years back on cable, but I enjoyed seeing it again.

Good Ol' Freda, a 2013 documentary that profiles Freda Kelly, who was a shy Liverpudlian teen when she was asked to work for a local band looking for fame: The Beatles. This is very well done and brings back a lot of memories, a lot of good memories. Freda Kelly was there at the beginning and at the end.

The Last Waltz, Martin Scorsese's 1978 documentary on The Band and their last concert together, a lavish farewell show at San Francisco's Winterland Ballroom on November 25, 1976. The documentary features standout performances by legends such as Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Eric Clapton, Joni Mitchell and Muddy Waters. The documentary also features interviews tracing the group's history and discussing road life. I'm not a Scorsese fan, because his films generally are too violent for my tastes, but I did like this film, which I had previously seen several times on cable.

The Professional, also known as Leon: The Professional. It stars Jean Reno, Natalie Portman, and Gary Oldman. A professional hit man (Reno) reluctantly takes in a twelve-year-old girl (Portman) after her family is murdered by a corrupt DEA agent (Oldman). The two form an unusual relationship, as she becomes his protégée and learns the hit man's trade. Directed by Luc Besson, this 1994 English-language French thriller was the first movie for Portman. It too is another film that I had previously seen, and several times at that.
Gordon

drwtsn32

Post by drwtsn32 » Sun May 24, 2015 8:00 pm

In the theater.... Ex Machina .... loved it.

Rental... Hot Tub Time Machine 2..... absolutely horrible. I loved the first one.

Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme » Sun May 24, 2015 10:31 pm

X-Men Days of Future Past. Cleans up the blight that is X-Men The Last Stand adequately.

loves2read

Post by loves2read » Mon May 25, 2015 6:31 am

Yes--thought that was one of better movies/scripts at explaining past/future time travel

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon May 25, 2015 6:58 am

miles monroe wrote:

its on cable tv tonite at 8:30 and tomorrow at 5:30 according to imdb. abc family. i wanted to see the first one in one sitting before seeing 2 (i'd seen bits and pieces over the last year or so). i rented it last nite becasue tonite is the basketball game.

We watched the first, Pitch Perfect, last night. We don't understand why they made a sequel based on the first. Has anyone seen both? Is the second any different?

a

Post by a » Mon May 25, 2015 7:31 am

Thrifty Femme wrote:X-Men Days of Future Past. Cleans up the blight that is X-Men The Last Stand adequately.
I liked it very much. In the opening scene, you can see that
they try to illustrate that the method the Sentinels have for
defeating X-Men is by using their powers against them. Come
to think of it, Kitty Pryde is one of the X-Men whose powers
they DON'T steal, and it would have helped a lot for getting
through that final door.

I'm sure there are a lot of nice things that would take
several viewings to notice. Another one is when Jennifer
Lawrence says to the Vietnamese general, "I'm an interpreter,"
and when he says to her, "Clothes, off." (Both are amusing
to think about in the light of Mystique's super power.)

I wonder if these and other touches were due to Bryan Singer,
the director, or Simon Kinberg, the script writer.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon May 25, 2015 9:56 am

heartwood wrote:
miles monroe wrote:

We watched the first, Pitch Perfect, last night. We don't understand why they made a sequel based on the first. Has anyone seen both? Is the second any different?

the sequel has already grossesd $135 million which is the record for a musical comedy. the original grossed $115 million which is the 3rd most ever in the category. school of rock is 2nd with $131 million.

in addition to the success at the box office, once the move was released on dvd and then cable tv it exploded in popularity.
Last edited by miles monroe on Mon May 25, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Mon May 25, 2015 12:04 pm

"Margin Call" - great movie.
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon May 25, 2015 5:38 pm

Hawaiishrimp wrote:"Margin Call" - great movie.

You may also enjoy director J.C. Chandor's latest movie A Most Violent Year.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Mon May 25, 2015 6:47 pm

jginseattle wrote:
Hawaiishrimp wrote:"Margin Call" - great movie.

You may also enjoy director J.C. Chandor's latest movie A Most Violent Year.

Thanks, will rent it.
:beer
I save and invest my money, so money can make money for me, so I don't have to make money eventually.

Hawaiishrimp

Post by Hawaiishrimp » Mon May 25, 2015 6:53 pm

Can someone recommend a movie with lots of office politics and guys talking in suits? :wink:

market timer

Post by market timer » Mon May 25, 2015 9:08 pm

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Can someone recommend a movie with lots of office politics and guys talking in suits? :wink:

The Insider (1999) is very good. For an off-beat comedy, I really liked the The Informant! (2009), but it has mixed reviews.

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Wed May 27, 2015 1:44 am

The Age of Adeline. I really enjoyed this movie.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed May 27, 2015 1:51 am

Hawaiishrimp wrote:Can someone recommend a movie with lots of office politics and guys talking in suits? :wink:

Office Space.

Glengarry Glen Ross

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed May 27, 2015 3:31 am

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't care for Mad Max !

Yesterday we saw "Saint Laurent" . Very nice movie, if a bit long. The actors make for good eye candy.
The dog is a pretty good actor, too, and I'm a cat person.

Jim85

Post by Jim85 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:15 am

Pulp Fiction. One of those films that are too tempting not to watch no matter how many times I've seen them. When flipping through the channels if I come across this or Goodfellas, Annie Hall, Fargo and some others I'll just jump in no matter how far in. Every scene a winner. Talk about guilty pleasures.

toto238

Post by toto238 » Wed May 27, 2015 12:27 pm

reneeh63 wrote:

Totally agree about Mad Max - I could tell in 5 minutes I was going to hate it - if you just want to see a lot of gross freaks in a gritty nasty dystopia, have at it. I have NO idea how it got such great reviews - definitely not the same feel as the original.

I'm not sure what people were expecting from an action movie. One set in a dystopian post-apocalyptic wasteland.

There were explosions. There was guns. The protagonists kicked a lot of butt. More explosions. There was suspense. There were special effects. There were more explosions.

Mad Max was exactly what I expected it to be and I enjoyed myself. I was satisfied. Greatest movie ever? no. But a perfectly acceptable action movie and a great way to spend a sunday afternoon.