What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by nisiprius » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:35 am

The Sound of Music, 1965, Julie Andrews, based on the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. Yep. I've seen it a few times and I've seen amateur presentations of the stage version a few times, but there's a lot of publicity because of it being the 50th anniversary and now that I have a 40" flat-screen TV I thought maybe it was time to see it again.

It really is a very good movie, y'know. It has its soft spots--especially if you know anything about the real history of the real Trapp Family (by the time they were performing, the youngest of the kids was something like 17 years old... and where, oh where, is Franz Wasner?)

But the "travelogue" and scenery aspects really are wonderful, Julie Andrews really is a very good actor and a very good singer, the Lindsay and Crouse script is much better than the average musical... it's hard to believe Julie Andrews as a 21-year old woman (but a lot easier than believing a 46-year-old Mary Martin). It's wish-fulfillment for anyone who had an emotionally cold parent and hoped they would be magically transformed into a warm, loving parent.

I still hate the song "Do-Re-Mi." I hated it when Mary Martin and the Broadway company performed it on the Ed Sullivan Show and it hasn't improved with time. At least in the movie you can be distracted by the genuinely engaging antics of Andrews and kids touring effortlessly around Salzburg.

So, yeah, I read this book about it... good book... The Sound of Music Story [sic] (shouldn't it be The "The Sound of Music" Story?) by Tom Santopietro. Funniest detail. The IMHO convincingly-acted scene in which Georg and Maria declare their love is filmed just gorgeously in silhouette, as they stand in a gazebo with the background of a twilight-lit garden behind them. According to Santopietro, the plan had been different:
Andrews had passed the point of total exhaustion, and by her own admission, whenever tired, she becomes "wobbly" and starts to laugh. Her efforts not to break up resulted in her falling apart again, and Plummer soon joined her in uncontrollable fits of giggles.

McCord found it necessary to flood the set with light from oversized arc lamps.... when the carbons in those old-fashioned lamps brushed against each other, they emitted a sound remarkably similar to that of someone passing gas....

With the pressure mounting, and time/money wasting, Andrews and Plummer continued to laugh their way through through their ballad...
Ultimately
Wise came up with the idea of shooting the scene in silhouette: faces would be seen only in profile, and the goofy grins and chortles could skim by unnoticed.
Last edited by nisiprius on Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:19 pm

nisiprius wrote:The Sound of Music, 1965, Julie Andrews, based on the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical. Yep. I've seen it a few times and I've seen amateur presentations of the stage version a few times, but there's a lot of publicity because of it being the 50th anniversary and now that I have a 40" flat-screen TV I thought maybe it was time to see it again.

It really is a very good movie, y'know. It has its soft spots--especially if you know anything about the real history of the real Trapp Family (by the time they were performing, the youngest of the kids was something like 17 years old... and where, oh where, is Franz Wasner?)

But the "travelogue" and scenery aspects really are wonderful, Julie Andrews really is a very good actor and a very good singer, the Lindsay and Crouse script is much better than the average musical... it's hard to believe Julie Andrews as a 21-year old woman (but a lot easier than believing a 46-year-old Mary Martin). It's wish-fulfillment for anyone who had an emotionally cold parent and hoped they would be magically transformed into a warm, loving parent.

I still hate the song "Do-Re-Mi." I hated it when Mary Martin and the Broadway company performed it on the Ed Sullivan Show and it hasn't improved with time. At least in the movie you can be distracted by the genuinely engaging antics of Andrews and kids touring effortless around Salzburg. ...

The movie is generally good fun and I always assumed that's all it was meant to be. Yet critics panned it apparently for not being something else, whatever they thought that should be (they difered). Even now, responses are the same, as Lawrence Downes discovered after writing about it in the New York Times: http://takingnote.blogs.nytimes.com/201 ... your-head/
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:40 pm

Imitation Game. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:49 pm

Redbox selections from yesterday, one interesting, one entirely forgettable:

Dear White People: This movie wasn't perfect but I'll be thinking about it for a while. I thought it succeeded in highlighting some of the complexities of race issues for even those people who are by many measures quite advantaged--students at a (notional) Ivy League school. These students aren't waking up in Ferguson or North Charleston every day, but they're still dealing with racism, albeit most frequently in subtle forms. I thought the film did a good job raising to the surface examples of racism that many of us don't even think about--the clearest example seemed to be the microaggression of the constant comments about black students' hair. I can't handily think of another movie that treats racism in this way--instead of addressing the simplest ideas of what we'd all agree is racist behavior, instead confronting those actions that are not intended to be racist, but nevertheless have some effect on the recipient. I also liked how DWP acknowledged that black people and white people are not monolithic groups who all hold the same opinions and ideas about racism. And the film did have some truly funny moments.

But yet in spite of its good points the story itself wasn't terribly compelling and although I'm glad I watched it, I felt a little bit like it was an assignment for a class than something I was really watching for pleasure.

Before I Go To Sleep: It did, however, compare quite favorably to what I watched immediately afterwards, this regrettable suspense-mystery with Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth. The more I think about this movie, the more annoyed I get, and that would be bad enough if the movie had actually been suspenseful or fun, but it was just...blah.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:16 pm

This Island Earth
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

sans souliers

Post by sans souliers » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:19 pm

MoonOrb, I agree with you on Dear White People.
There were some moments in the movie I thought the racism was taken too far -- I mean, who in this century actually does or says things like that?
It was an eye-opener then, during the closing credits, where they had some actual cases of racism on campus -- in this day and age.
That left me a bit unsettled, which was probably the intent.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:24 pm

loves2read wrote:We go to the movies every weekend--
saw "Woman in Gold" yesterday--
enjoyable, especially the vintage sections about the younger Maria in Nazi Vienna.
That actress is Tatiana Mazlany from "Orphan Black" who is terrific in both productions...
if you have cable and enjoy complex, though-provoking material, I suggest watching it...
She plays a young woman who discovers she is not who she thinks she is--just incase you haven't seen/read about it.

Helen Mirren and Ryan Reynolds were good--they each have some special scenes that allow them to "emote" with Mirren taking the larger role....it is her story after all...but Reynold's part which has received really negative reviews I think is handicapped because it is based on a real person who is still alive and is likely true to that person's personality...
We enjoyed it and from reaction of rest of audience so did they--
There is a "Philomena" aspect to it and personally I think "Philomena" is stronger film and Densch's performance better than Mirren's...but part of that can be laid to the script and the director of each film..."Woman in Gold" was directed by someone with television experience even though he is older (married to Elizabeth McGovern who has small role in the film)
Stephen Frears directed "Philomena"--no comparison between the two IMO...

I plan on seeing this, perhaps this evening, even though it has received mostly mediocre reviews. I mean, how mediocre can it be with Helen Mirren in it?

By the way, I think it's inappropriate comparing this film with Philomena. The two are entirely different films.
Gordon

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:09 pm

The Sound of Music,

I was about 20 yo and GF wanted to see it even tho I hated musicals. I saw it and enjoyed it.

I also received the ultimate boyfriend reward later that night, which was the main reason I went in the first place. :wink:
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:45 pm

Tycoon wrote:This Island Earth
Is that the one with the interrociter?
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:41 pm

I watched Veronika Decides to Die, with Sarah Michelle Gellar and costarring David Thewlis, Melissa Leo, Jonathan Tucker, and Erika Christensen.

After a frantic suicide attempt, Veronika awakens inside a mysterious mental asylum. Under the supervision of an unorthodox psychiatrist who specializes in controversial treatment, Veronika learns that she has only weeks to live. This 2009 film was adapted from the novel of the same name by Paolo Cuelho.

It was a real snoozer. That's some ninety minutes I'll never get back, although actually I fell asleep with amount fifteen or so minutes to go in the film.
Gordon

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:08 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Tycoon wrote:This Island Earth
Is that the one with the interrociter?

Yes.

This Island Earth (1955) was the featured movie on Svengoolie's show last night.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:12 pm

Yes, the interrociter... and a tractor beam. And a most inefficient triangular two-way video screen.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:14 pm

I saw the Wizard of Oz this afternoon at the Historic Fox Theatre in Tucson. Free as it was their 85th anniversary.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Spent the weekend renting movies from RedBox :mrgreen:

The Imitation Game: 4.5/5 stars
Night At The Museum: 2.5/5 stars
Horrible Bosses 2: 3.5/5 stars

gary11

Post by gary11 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:27 pm

Watched Interstellar again on dvd at home yesterday. Totally loved it...again. Yay Cosmology! :D
(I didn't even know it was out on dvd till our thirteen year old asked for it, we knew she had liked it originally in theater but we were bit surprised she asked if we could watch it at home again)

Hypersion

Post by Hypersion » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:55 pm

Get Hard. 2* out of 4*.

I think Chris Hart is a talented comedian but I nevered liked Will Ferrell I think he is a B+ comedian. He is ok as a co-star or in some skits but I can't stand his movies where is the a lead. It had some funny scenes but it's something I've seen a hundred times before plus doesn't have any real life side to it at all, which is where real comedy comes from.
Last edited by Hypersion on Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:18 am

I went and saw Woman in Gold this evening, starring Helen Mirren, Ryan Reynolds, Daniel Brühl, Tatiana Maslany, and Katie Holmes.

The film is based on the true story of the late Maria Altmann, an elderly Jewish refugee, living in Los Angeles. Together with her young lawyer, E. Randol Schoenberg, she fought the government of Austria for almost a decade to reclaim Gustav Klimt's iconic painting of her aunt. The painting,The Portrait of Adele Bloch-Bauer I, was confiscated from her relatives by the Nazis in Vienna just prior to World War II.

The movie received mediocre reviews, but I went to see it anyway, because no movie with Helen Mirren can be mediocre, in my opinion. I thought the movie was pretty good. Helen Mirren was exceptional, as always, and Ryan Reynolds was very good, as well, and so was the supporting cast. I could have done without some of the speeches and the last three or four minutes of the film.
Gordon

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:23 am

I watched Woman in Gold in the theater last night - very good movie, IMO.

I watched Nymphomaniac volume I and II over the last week on Blu-ray at home . I don't know if I can talk about these movies much in this forum, as they are full of sex scenes, which are interrupted by philosophical discussions and beautiful music from Bach, Beethoven and others . Some parts are hard to watch, though, like the induced abortion. I highly recommend these movies.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:13 pm

Chaos with Jason Stratham and Wesley Snipes. The film is available on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:05 pm

2001: A Space Odyssey - in the theater to boot! :beer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:48 am

I watched The Other Boleyn Girl, starring Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson.

This film is much better than the low-budget BBC television production that I watched last week. It is far less disjointed and drawn out. The film, like the BBC production, is based on the controversial Phillipa Gregory novel, however. Because of that, it still offers a generally one-sided and unflattering portrait of Anne Boleyn, a portrait that most historians regard as false.

(Edited to insert first paragraph.)
Last edited by gkaplan on Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gordon

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:25 am

Just re watched The Black Stallion. It is an excellent, touching love story of a movie. Both my children enjoyed it and there aren't a lot of movies that a 5, 8, and 41 year old can enjoy together.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Wednesday night, I watched The Art of Piano.

From Jan Paderewski in 1936 to Claudio Arrau in 1970, The Art of Piano, originally produced for public television in 1999, features fascinating material, historically and musically, from film and television archives.
Gordon

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:54 pm

madbrain wrote:I watched Nymphomaniac volume I and II over the last week on Blu-ray at home . I don't know if I can talk about these movies much in this forum, as they are full of sex scenes, which are interrupted by philosophical discussions and beautiful music from Bach, Beethoven and others . Some parts are hard to watch, though, like the induced abortion. I highly recommend these movies.

I watched "Ida", a couple nights ago, a sad movie about a nun in Poland who finds out she is Jewish and struggles with her past. A haunting movie.
And strangely, it uses the same Bach piece as Nymphomaniac for part of the score, BWV 639, this time on piano, played by Brendel .

I also watched "The unknown known" last night, a documentary, which is series of interviews with Donald Rumsfeld, the former secretary of Defense under GWB . I am afraid at the end of it, I still don't really know why the US went to war in Iraq. Not that I expected a straight answer. I'm surprised he chose to make this movie at all.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:30 pm

Snake Eyes with Nicholas Cage and Gary Sinese.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

sans souliers

Post by sans souliers » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:39 pm

Through Netflix, I watched "Calvary". Thoroughly depressing story - almost surrealistic - maybe it was.
If you're feeling down, this flick will show you there are lots of people worse off than you.
Main character gets a death threat at the beginning of the story, and wades through a whole week of depression to his promised execution.
At the beach, no less.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:15 am

I recommend The Imitation Game highly. I saw it last night. Well deserving of a Best Picture nomination.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:46 am

I just don't like Keira Knightley and fear she'll ruin the movie. Does she?

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:56 am

101 Rekyjavik.

Quirky...
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:00 am

letsgobobby wrote:I just don't like Keira Knightley and fear she'll ruin the movie. Does she?

She doesn't ruin the movie. In fact, I think she enhances it. But I think she's very easy on the eyes, which is a good thing.

As a warning, I understand the movie has a number of historical inaccuracies. It is a movie, not a documentary.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Ex Machina.

Wow! Terrific. Imagine I'll see it again. Isaac Oscar is fantastic. Fun companion movies to this might include things (in order from most to least obvious) like Blade Runner, Her, Automata, The Terminator, Solaris, and Lars and the Real Girl.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:03 am

I watched my favorite comedy, What's Up Doc?, with Barbara Streisand and Ryan O'Neal, plus Madeline Kahn.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:39 am

One Down, Five to Go. If you've ever watched the Monty Python TV series or movies, watch this. It's their last performance, done (mostly) live in London.

They've modernized some of their bits, but it has everything a true Monty Python fan can expect. I laughed so hard, my brain hurt.

The material is truly "R" rated and went beyond the levels in the TV series, but it just works.

The title is in reference to the death of Graham Chapman.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:44 pm

The Imitation Game. I thought it was great... with nit-picks. The acting was great. Benedict Cumberbatch (Alan Turing) seemed totally convincing, I've known people sort of like that. They did a really wonderful job finding an actor to play Turing as a child who seemed to match Turing as an adult.

I feel that I need to read the book, Alan Turing: The Enigma now, to straighten out truth and dramatization.

I felt that it was really too overdramatized--too many comic-book exaggerations of one sort or another. Turing's boss, Commander Denniston goes beyond unsympathetic, beyond hostile, beyond Dilbert's pointy-haired boss, into pure bwa-ha-ha E-Ville! Too many things seem to have been invented just to make the nature of cryptography clear and exciting to viewers. It is not credible that it never had occurred to cryptologists that their work could be shortened if they could guess at some words that were likely to be in the plaintext. (And I need to read the book to see whether it's true that the phrase "Heil Hitler!" was actually one of them--that seems just too ironic to be true).

I did have a problem with Keira Knightly's portrayal.

I may be being unfair, but I am skeptical about the scene in which they break the Enigma code and discover that the Germans are about to attack a ship that a team member's brother is stationed on.

Did Turing really call his computer "Christopher?" I thought they used impersonal names like "the Bombe" (and/or "the Colossus?")

Finally, I got a little bit tired of the repeated suggestion that it was the codebreakers who "won the war." Really? They deserve all the credit? Didn't some of the other boffins in England who developed radar and Chain Home and H2S... and Spitfires... and such help win it? How about the British spies who did everything possible behind the scenes to influence the U.S. to get into the war? How about the pilots who actually flew the planes in the Battle of Britain? How about... and so on, and so on?

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:06 pm

nisiprius wrote:
I may be being unfair, but I am skeptical about the scene in which they break the Enigma code and discover that the Germans are about to attack a ship that a team member's brother is stationed on.

That kind of gets to the heart of one of the things that made it an enjoyable, but just okay, movie for me. It tried to walk the line between being a straight up fact-based biopic and an engaging wartime historical drama, and I don't think they should have tried to do both things at once. I would have been totally happy watching a movie where Turing and his colleagues had been dramatized, but it would have been clear that the movie was not representing straight-up historical fact. They could have called him "Adam Drury" or somesuch; we all would have known he was obviously based on Turing and that many of the events portrayed were real.

I thought the scene you mentioned would have been totally fine in that sort of movie; it was a concise and moving way of dramatizing one of the central tensions that the codebreakers faced: the paradox inherent in learning of powerful intelligence. If you reveal that you have it, you kill off the goose that lays the golden eggs, but what good is it if you can never use it because of your fear of losing it? (In that way it reminds me of one of the tensions we tend to face in our financial lives where we have to figure out the appropriate balance between consuming now and saving and investing for future consumption).

But that scene in that movie seemed completely over the top and obviously made up, which was annoying considering the filmmakers (from my point of view) tried to create the sort of verisimilitude where we were actually to believe that these events happened.

I still find it a highly enjoyable film though and I'd recommend it to people. Benedict Cumberbatch was appropriately Benedict Cumberbatch-y, and all though that's probably going to start wearing awfully thin after another few movies or seasons of Sherlock, for the time being it's rather delightful.

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:23 pm

Imitation Game -- thought it was very good.

Gone Girl -- really enjoyed it most of the way. Lost a bit at the end, and also was too geared toward a sequel, but still enjoyed it.

A Walk Among the Tombstones -- wouldn't recommend it. Too dark. Would have been OK to good if they hadn't made the bad guys so sadistic, and the sadism added nothing to the plot.

Magic in the Moonlight -- We're not Woody Allen fans, but my wife and I thought this was very good. After watching it I read the reviews and saw that it was widely panned. Shrug. We liked it a lot.

The Equalizer -- We enjoyed it a lot. You know what you're getting when you watch it. Good guy single-handedly wipes out a huge number of very, very bad guys in highly improbable ways. But I like watching good guys eliminate bad guys, and Denzel Washington is always good.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:17 pm

MoonOrb wrote:
nisiprius wrote:I may be being unfair, but I am skeptical about the scene in which they break the Enigma code and discover that the Germans are about to attack a ship that a team member's brother is stationed on.
...I thought the scene you mentioned would have been totally fine in that sort of movie; it was a concise and moving way of dramatizing one of the central tensions that the codebreakers faced: the paradox inherent in learning of powerful intelligence. If you reveal that you have it, you kill off the goose that lays the golden eggs, but what good is it if you can never use it because of your fear of losing it?...
The event I was familiar with was the decision whether or not to warn Coventry about the air attack of 1940. The terrible decision to forego warning Coventry was made by Winston Churchill himself.

The movie indicates that Turing and his team also developed statistical methods for determining the maximum number of warnings that could be given without making the Germans suspect that the code had been broken; I wonder if this is correct.

Added: According to Wikipedia I'm correctly remembering what was said about Coventry in The Ultra Secret, written by F. W. Winterbotham, a military figure directly involved in Ultra, but the truth of Winterbotham's statements is disputed.

Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 am

Birdman,

Perhaps I've the only person in America who did not enjoy this one...and I usually enjoy quirky, non-formulaic films...just couldn't get into it and I am even a big Edward Norton fan.

Maybe it was too dark, too odd for even me. For those who enjoyed it, would like to know what subtle message here I missed lol.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

bpp

Post by bpp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 am

nisiprius wrote:
MoonOrb wrote:
nisiprius wrote:I may be being unfair, but I am skeptical about the scene in which they break the Enigma code and discover that the Germans are about to attack a ship that a team member's brother is stationed on.
...I thought the scene you mentioned would have been totally fine in that sort of movie; it was a concise and moving way of dramatizing one of the central tensions that the codebreakers faced: the paradox inherent in learning of powerful intelligence. If you reveal that you have it, you kill off the goose that lays the golden eggs, but what good is it if you can never use it because of your fear of losing it?...
The event I was familiar with was the decision whether or not to warn Coventry about the air attack of 1940. The terrible decision to forego warning Coventry was made by Winston Churchill himself.

The movie indicates that Turing and his team also developed statistical methods for determining the maximum number of warnings that could be given without making the Germans suspect that the code had been broken; I wonder if this is correct.

Added: According to Wikipedia I'm correctly remembering what was said about Coventry in The Ultra Secret, written by F. W. Winterbotham, a military figure directly involved in Ultra, but the truth of Winterbotham's statements is disputed.

I saw this movie recently, and thought it wonderfully enjoyable at first, due to the actors who played Turing as a child and adult. Still, some of the set ups seemed hard to swallow, like the convoy-under-attack one, and the whole "let's look for identifiable words among the candidate decodings" eureka moment (I mean, how else would one decipher?? What were they supposed to be trying to do before that??), so I looked up the historical discussions about the movie, and was disappointed to learn that about 80% of the movie's critical plot points -- ones that are supposed to give us insight into Turing's character or drive the reactions of those around him -- seem to have been utterly divorced from historical fact.

Now, this would be forgivable if it still led to a true feeling for what it would have been like to be Alan Turing, or someone who worked with him, but the departures are so extreme that I doubt the movie gives a realistic emotional picture at all. I agree they should have just given him a new name and disclaimed any historical connection at all.

bpp

Post by bpp » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:58 am

Also saw Interstellar, and sorry, but that was just garbage. I understand they took care to realistically represent what an accretion disk around a black hole would look like from an oblique angle, due to gravitational light path bending, but that was the only good part of the film. The rest of it was just pure drivel, without even any of the good acting that made Imitation Game enjoyable.

Ok, they tried to use time dilation as a plot point when visiting the water planet with the mile-high tides, which was interesting, but seem to have forgotten about it when the hero falls through the black hole's event horizon (without somehow being torn apart by tidal forces!), only to arrive... well I won't spoil it, but it's just silly.

(Question: if one can direct matter via gravity manipulation, why would one communicate in binary, hoping it gets deciphered, instead of just spelling out letters, which would be obvious?)

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:05 pm

Saw Ida and thought it a great film in many ways, although I don’t understand why Ida returned to the convent. She gave no obvious indication of her reasons that I could see, yet her character seemed to be one that would take more time to at least seriously contemplate another life, especially after what she experiences. At least that was the character I sensed so that when she did return, I thought it might be out of character. Then again, it was not easy to completely understand either Ida or Wanda and apparently that was the director's intention. Still, I checked several reviews to see what the pros thought, and the most interesting was this one (in case anyone else had the same question): http://www.jewishideas.org/articles/film-review-ida

Saw Gone Girl and thought it predictable, at times silly, and overall boring. I mean when I saw Amy covered in Desi’s blood and found myself thinking it was the most realistic fake blood I’d ever seen in a movie, that has to be boredom. I didn’t read the novel.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:47 pm

The problems with The Imitation Game are fairly well known. Another take:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/01/26 ... have_been/

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:Birdman,

Perhaps I've the only person in America who did not enjoy this one...and I usually enjoy quirky, non-formulaic films...just couldn't get into it and I am even a big Edward Norton fan.

Maybe it was too dark, too odd for even me. For those who enjoyed it, would like to know what subtle message here I missed lol.

BFG

It was terrible and other then the "Academy",I don't know anyone who like it.
All the Best, | Joe

Van

Post by Van » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:42 pm

joe8d wrote:

BFG

I'm another who did not like Birdman. I thought it would never end.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:02 pm

I was intrigued for about 20 minutes and then felt it went on interminably and it was a mishmash of insider Hollywood/Broadway stuff that some normal jerk like me wouldn't (and didn't, as it turns out) appreciate. The fancy camera work was a great gimmick for a while and I think I would have loved this as a short film, maybe.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:36 pm

What We Do In Shadows. The best comedy I've seen in a long time. Consistently funny.

bpp

Post by bpp » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:05 am

Actually enjoyed Birdman, despite the previews which made it look like some pseudo-deep superhero movie.
The continuous-take device was interesting, though a bit distracting in that it led to looking for the hidden cuts.
But I enjoyed Michael Keaton's and Edward Norton's performances in this movie more than in any previous ones, I think.
Last edited by bpp on Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

FabLab

Post by FabLab » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:08 am

joe8d wrote:

BFG

I didn't like it either; I loved it!
The fundamental things apply as time goes by -- Herman Hupfeld

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:24 am

bpp wrote:...The continuous-take device was interesting, though a bit distracting in that it led to looking for the hidden cuts...
Haven't seen it or read about it so I didn't know that. Alfred Hitchcock's Rope tries to look like it was done in a single take, and I think it was really only four or five... perhaps even limited by the magazine capacity of the motion picture camera. Hmmm... Wikipedia says ten takes.

What was the tour de force... yes, it was called Timecode, which was filmed in one continuous take in four locations at the same time, with the screen split into four quarters so that we are watching four simultaneous movies at once. It is actually watchable, but no more than watchable. My recollection is that there are some fairly long stretches during which one or two of the quadrants are devoted to someone reading or napping or something, so you only need to pay attention to what's going in in a cuople of them. Of course it was an amazing accomplishment... of some kind, but I'm not sure what beyond showing that it could be done.

meaghansketch

Post by meaghansketch » Tue Apr 21, 2015 9:46 am

Birdman- I also thought this wasn't very good. I thought the 'continuous take' was gimmicky and the points that I felt the director was trying to make about superhero films and social media were at the same time too heavyhanded and too subtle (ie it was apparent that he was trying to tie together our collective obsession at this moment with superhero movies and with social media, but for me he doesn't actually make a coherent point).

Into The Woods- I just thought this wasn't very good. I love this musical and I felt they ripped the backbone out of it and left the skin.

Port of Shadows (1937)- This was great! I liked it a lot better than the more well-known Grand Illusion, starring the same actor (Jean Gabin) from the same year.