What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
StormShadow

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by StormShadow » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:09 pm

Fallible wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Guardians of the Galaxy. A mix of Firefly and Star Wars gone bad.

I would classify this as a slasher film, as the music from '70s and '80s was hacked in ways that would make the original composers turn over in their graves.* The music was also used as background for some the action scenes. Ugh.

It was somewhat entertaining, though.

* They're still alive, but might drop dead if they heard the sound track.

Your "gone bad/slashing/hacking/turn over in graves/ugh/drop dead" review has convinced me I've got to see this movie. Seriously. Thanks! :)

EXACTLY.

LadyGeek is in danger of losing her "geek" status with this sacrilegious post about Guardians of the Galaxy. "Somewhat entertaining"? For shame.

Stonebr

Post by Stonebr » Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:35 pm

chaz wrote:The Imitation Game. A great movie.

+1. Saw it yesterday.

Other recent:
Wild -- very good, wonderful performance by Witherspoon
The Theory of Everything -- very good, but for movies about scientists I thought The Imitation Game was better. It had a more focused story to tell, and the sequencing of scenes from childhood, the war years and the post-war years was superb.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:01 pm

LadyGeek wrote:You're welcome. Be sure to look for Stan Lee, who gives a brief cameo in every Marvel comic movie.

Thanks. I will not miss Stan Lee.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

zimmer0

Post by zimmer0 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:38 pm

Gone Girl
The Equalizer
The Judge
A Walk Amongst the Tombstones
American Sniper
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
The Drop
Plus a few chick flicks with the GF (movie buff)

All watched for free via Google Chromecast.

Going to look into Selma

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:26 pm

American Sniper - so wrong on so many levels. I really disliked this morally ambiguous movie. Those thinking of seeing it should read a bit about the main protagonist
and perhaps even read the book by the same title (the "autobiography" where that main protagpnist tells you in his own words)
and make up your own minds. I love Clint Eastwood and his movies both as a director
and as an actor but this ..... ugh

The Gran Budapest Hotel - I missed this when it first came out so with the Oscar nominations I finally watched it. A great great funny nuanced movie. Ralph Fiennes is
spectacular.

The Hobbit (last episode) - let's face it .... with the death/loss of Smaug, there is just no place for the story to go. Amazing that at the end, they make the Hobbit as
tiresome as the ending of the Lord of the Rings (when when when are they ever going to finally get to the damnable mountain so Frodo can stop
whining about how tired he is?)

Gone Girl - A smart intelligent thriller. Some parts of it don't add up but the leading actors (Afleck and Rosamund Pike) are great just to watch them doing their stuff.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:27 pm

We wanted "Jack Ryan" on Netflix and it was great. More chapters in the Tom Clancy series: Hunt for Red October, Clear & Present Danger, Sum of All Fears, Patriot Games. Enjoyed Kevin Costner in his role.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:38 pm

I loved American Sniper. I predict it will win Best Picture and Best actor at the Oscars.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Hobbit Part 3.

I really have severe reservations about the whole trilogy. It should never have been a trilogy in the first place. It's difficult to swallow the changes from the book for someone who owns a copy of the 2nd ed. of the original. Nonetheless the visuals based on the work of Alan Lee made it worth the price of admission to me.

VINNY

Post by VINNY » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:13 pm

American Sniper. Awesome movie!!!!!!!!!!!

dkdoy

Post by dkdoy » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:06 pm

American Sniper...great movie!

denismurf

Post by denismurf » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:47 am

Fury was gritty, raw and authentic for 90 minutes. Then it hit the skids and dissolved into a typical cartoonish Hollywood shoot-em-up fantasy bearing no resemblance to actual war as I understand that term. The last 30 minutes reminded me of the movie that so delighted Hitler in The Inglorious Basterds.

My advice: be sure to see it in a theater to get the maximum effect from the good part of the movie, then leave when the implausibilities start piling up. Don't hang around waiting for things to get back to "real." They won't.

scooterdog

Post by scooterdog » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:29 am

Thanks to recommendations here we saw The Imitation Game last night.

I can say it was definitively the best movie we've seen in 2015. Okay, make that the only movie we've seen in 2015, but still the best one we've seen in a while.

DW is a big Nicole Kidman fan, so over the winter break we saw Stoker (via DVD). What a waste of time - couldn't believe the fact that it had an IMDB rating of 6.9, and I was so upset that I had to register just to submit a one-star-out-of-10 rating.

Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:42 am

American Sniper. Very encouraging to see such courage from young men.

ny_rn

Post by ny_rn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:03 am

Within the past week...

Theater
American Sniper
Taken 3

The Equalizer
Gone Girl
The Drop
John Wick
The Interview
The Good Lie
Deliver Us From Evil

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:27 am

Ged wrote:Hobbit Part 3.

I really have severe reservations about the whole trilogy. It should never have been a trilogy in the first place. It's difficult to swallow the changes from the book for someone who owns a copy of the 2nd ed. of the original. Nonetheless the visuals based on the work of Alan Lee made it worth the price of admission to me.

I always liked the Hobbit better than the ring trilogy. The character of Gandalf is quite a bit different. The movie just ends up being about special effects .... why exactly do we have to have this battle? because the mountain is so strategic??? why is it so important to defeat/kill the orc general and his lieutenant??? They're just orcs .... plenty more where they came from ... right? They changed the ending quite a bit also in an attempt to jazz it up .... but failed in my opinion.

Interesting how everyone seems to love American Sniper. Americans crave heros I guess ..... the movie itself is unidimensional (Oh why why why Chris must you go back and fight so more in that horrible place??? ..... Well honey, I'm a sheepdog and us sheepdogs have got to keep sheepdogging. As long as "sheepdogging" involves shooting lots of people (that the movie indentifies for us as "baaaaaaad"), what more can you ask? There is no nuance, no shades of gray ..... just shooting "bad" people. The movie justifies this by trying to show the psychological effects of the "confirmed 162 men women and children that he killed in the service of his country" but then later on we find out, he just feels bad cause he unable to save all the American boys that died. Oh .... OK. Its hard to parse what is wrong about this movie from the politics of a (still!) ongoing war. I'll just end by saying, it's a facile rah rah movie glorifying the military. It has virtually no artistic merit. Depending on your political views, it can have quite a bit of confirmation bias benefit, however.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:47 am

I watched Get Shorty on Netflix last night. I was underwhelmed. I thought it was a waste of the talents of some fine actors.
Gordon

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:00 am

I just saw Grand Budapest Hotel. An enjoyable movie which you will like if you like movies like Rushmore or Napoleon Dynamite. Highly stylized, and it may have the most famous actors per minute of any film in the last three decades. (That excludes the epic film The Longest Day...) I recommend it, but it won't win best picture. (American Sniper will.)

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:33 am

Petrocelli wrote:I just saw Grand Budapest Hotel. An enjoyable movie which you will like if you like movies like Rushmore or Napoleon Dynamite. Highly stylized, and it may have the most famous actors per minute of any film in the last three decades. (That excludes the epic film The Longest Day...) I recommend it, but it won't win best picture. (American Sniper will.)

The Longest Day .... now there was a great war movie. :) (Second only to Midway ..... )

You wouldn't want to bet your Rolex on American Sniper winning would you? I would take that bet ....

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:13 pm

American Sniper. One terrific movie.
Chris Kyle is a certified American hero who saved countless American lives.

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:33 pm

reggiesimpson wrote:American Sniper. One terrific movie.

Yes, you mean of course the character depicted in the movie, right? That movie character is certainly presented as a "certified American hero". You should read the book by the same title and supposedly written by Mr. Kyle. The movie is not a completely faithful replica of that book, Clint Eastwood had to gloss over a few ummmm things. You might also check out the Jesse Ventura defamation suit (won by Mr. Ventura) to get a handle on the probable veracity of the books author just in general. Form your own conclusions. Don't just watch a movie and accept it as whole cloth.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:47 pm

"American Sniper", fantastic. Chris Kyle and Clint Eastwood are both American Heroes!!!
Last edited by Crimsontide on Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:54 pm

Crimsontide wrote:"American Sniper", fantastic. Chris Kyle and Clint Eastwood are both American Heros!!!

My heroes have always been cowboys. :)

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Deep Thoughts wrote:
reggiesimpson wrote:American Sniper. One terrific movie.

Yes, you mean of course the character depicted in the movie, right? That movie character is certainly presented as a "certified American hero". You should read the book by the same title and supposedly written by Mr. Kyle. The movie is not a completely faithful replica of that book, Clint Eastwood had to gloss over a few ummmm things. You might also check out the Jesse Ventura defamation suit (won by Mr. Ventura) to get a handle on the probable veracity of the books author just in general. Form your own conclusions. Don't just watch a movie and accept it as whole cloth.

Yes well as Chris Kyle was murdered it would be a depiction of him wouldnt it.

Further, i dont plan on reading the book as i got all the info i needed from the Navy:
Silver Star (2)
Bronze Star Medal ( Valor,5)
Navy and Marine Corps Commendation Medal (1)
Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal (2)

As a sniper his role was to save American lives and he appears to have done an excellent job.

He further spent time after discharge helping his fellow comrades.

Lastly, i dont watch reruns of professional wrestling.

newboggler

Post by newboggler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:40 pm

Stonebr wrote:
chaz wrote:The Imitation Game. A great movie.

+1 awesome movie
Last edited by newboggler on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JMKEBogleGuy

Post by JMKEBogleGuy » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:49 pm

Recently four very good movies.....

Wild
Imitation game
American sniper
The theory of everything

Great stories and great acting in all four!

newboggler

Post by newboggler » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:00 pm

Just Watched -
Rush (2013 film) - awesome racing movie .. more about 2 rival racer british vs german
Ip Man (chinese with eng subs) - one of the best chinese movie I've seen.. great actor..
Gone girl ( nice thriller...must watch)
American Sniper (nice movie ... ambiguous imho )
Imitation games ( great movie .. well directed .. drama,thriller ... mind-blowing )
Guardians of Galaxy -- ok ok..can skip
The interview - over hyped
Edge of tomorrow - nice sic-fi alien invasion type.. nothing special
John wick - ex-bad guy after current bad guys.. like any Liam Neeson movie
The Equalizer - Nice one.. like Mr. Washington
Non Stop - ahhh not again

Next in watch list -

Interstellar
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Whiplash
Boyhood
Big Hero 6
Selma
Unbroken

astrohip

Post by astrohip » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Saw they are remaking The Odd Couple again for TV. So I just (re)watched "The Odd Couple" original movie. Probably been 25+ years since I last saw it. Couldn't stop laughing, I had forgotten how funny it is. A little dated, but not so much that I was crying I was laughing so hard.
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:28 pm

I saw Elaine Stritch: Shoot me, a documentary on the life and the career of the indomitable Elaine Stritch, who still was performing well into her eighties.
Gordon

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:30 pm

I just watched Glen or Glenda, a 1950s movie by, and starring, the infamous Ed Wood, that examines transvestism. It is perhaps the worst movie ever made. It is so bad, it is good.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:42 pm

Last night, I went to a screening of Innerspace, complete with a Q&A with Joe Dante (director) afterward. It was awesome.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, [i]Layer Cake[/i]

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:16 am

I just finished watching The Debt on Netflix. I saw if twice when it first was released several years ago and really liked it. How can you go wrong with Helen Mirren and Jessica Chastain as the co-stars.
Gordon

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:20 am

Two movies so far this week:

Whiplash - a very intense movie, especially strong language

Through the Lens Darkly - a documentary on the role of African American photographers.

I will see four movies tomorrow ...

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:52 am

Just saw Inherent Vice. Good thing I had just finished the book, which helped me understand what was going on.

It was a very good movie - P.T. Anderson directed it. If you want a logical A to Z plot don't go. You have to let it sort of flow around you. Just like a character from the 60's.

bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:00 am

"The Shootist"....just last night...John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lauren Bacall, Harry Morgan, Ronnie Howard, Hugh O'Brien, Richard Boone....I love the 'ole time cowboy movies.

don

Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:44 am

bondsr4me wrote:"The Shootist"....just last night...John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Lauren Bacall, Harry Morgan, Ronnie Howard, Hugh O'Brien, Richard Boone....I love the 'ole time cowboy movies.

If you do, I assume you saw my favorite, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 am

Not a movie but a Netflix series: Orange is the New Black. We are enjoying it.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:47 am

An outstanding new film: A Most Violent Year.

Here's a good review...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/01/12/dirty-oil

Non7WoodUser

Post by Non7WoodUser » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:58 pm

American Sniper. It's a great movie that connects with patriotic Americans. Not surprisingly, it has crushed the competition at the box office.

yolli71

Post by yolli71 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:47 pm

Deep Thoughts wrote:

I always liked the Hobbit better than the ring trilogy. The character of Gandalf is quite a bit different. The movie just ends up being about special effects .... why exactly do we have to have this battle? because the mountain is so strategic??? why is it so important to defeat/kill the orc general and his lieutenant??? They're just orcs .... plenty more where they came from ... right? They changed the ending quite a bit also in an attempt to jazz it up .... but failed in my opinion.

Interesting how everyone seems to love American Sniper. Americans crave heros I guess ..... the movie itself is unidimensional (Oh why why why Chris must you go back and fight so more in that horrible place??? ..... Well honey, I'm a sheepdog and us sheepdogs have got to keep sheepdogging. As long as "sheepdogging" involves shooting lots of people (that the movie indentifies for us as "baaaaaaad"), what more can you ask? There is no nuance, no shades of gray ..... just shooting "bad" people. The movie justifies this by trying to show the psychological effects of the "confirmed 162 men women and children that he killed in the service of his country" but then later on we find out, he just feels bad cause he unable to save all the American boys that died. Oh .... OK. Its hard to parse what is wrong about this movie from the politics of a (still!) ongoing war. I'll just end by saying, it's a facile rah rah movie glorifying the military. It has virtually no artistic merit. Depending on your political views, it can have quite a bit of confirmation bias benefit, however.

I have not seen the movie, but I'm guessing you're a Michael Moore fan. I don't think everyone thinks that Kyle is a saint (I read some articles about him that didn't paint him in the best picture prior to his death), but you seem to be overanalyzing the fact that people may simply be showing their patriotism and may enjoy the movie purely on an entertainment level. I'm not trying to make a political point (I'm middle of the road as I voted for McCain and Obama in the last 2 elections and I'm generally 50/50 on the issues), but I do find it somewhat offensive when people criticize our troops who are only doing their jobs serving their country (providing the freedom we enjoy and likely take for granted). Perhaps the movie would be better if Kyle was morally conflicted and refused to kill Muslims based on his personal beliefs?

jmndu99

Post by jmndu99 » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:40 pm

American Sniper.

What I liked best, is that the film was not the "all adrenaline" type.
There are human elements in it.

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:14 pm

yolli71 wrote:
Deep Thoughts wrote:

I have not seen the movie, but I'm guessing you're a Michael Moore fan. I don't think everyone thinks that Kyle is a saint (I read some articles about him that didn't paint him in the best picture prior to his death), but you seem to be overanalyzing the fact that people may simply be showing their patriotism and may enjoy the movie purely on an entertainment level. I'm not trying to make a political point (I'm middle of the road as I voted for McCain and Obama in the last 2 elections and I'm generally 50/50 on the issues), but I do find it somewhat offensive when people criticize our troops who are only doing their jobs serving their country (providing the freedom we enjoy and likely take for granted). Perhaps the movie would be better if Kyle was morally conflicted and refused to kill Muslims based on his personal beliefs?

Not a Michael Moore fan at all. Mr Kyle was a highly decorated veteran. I don't doubt that he was a good soldier. He was also a serial liar. He was found guilty in a defamation suit for telling those stories/lies and he told those stories in such a way to make himself a better man than he was: He claimed he punched out Jesse Venura, He claimed he shot and killed a couple of car jackers in Texas, he claimed that he shot looters and rioters with is sniper rifle after Katrine (all false)..... In his book which I did take the time to read (did you?), he brags of looting peoples houses. I have a lot of respect for real American heroes (I even have some that carried rifles and brought home a few medals in my lineage) and there are much better examples of them than Mr. Kyle in my humble opinion. I would take any elementary school teacher working in an inner city school as being a heck of a lot better example of an American hero than Mr. Kyle ..... I deplore the need in so many Americans to restrict their notions of "heroism" to people that carry guns and shoot people with turbans on their heads. Is that what makes our country great? Is that what we have to feel proud about as a great accomplishment of our country? You have to love the numbers aspect ... he killed "confirmed" 162 people but there were a lot more than that ... i.e. don't just think he killed 162 people ... some of the others got dragged away by their grieving friends or families, so we can't "officially" count them. Have we really become so desensitized that we're supposed to feel good about that? Feel proud?

It's a morally troubling movie. We are shown in the movie Mr Kyle being deeply disturbed about the 9/11 attacks ... but no one asks what killing Iraquies has to do with that. No one is supposed to ask what would make a mother send her child to kill American soldiers? Or why after that child is killed to then try herself to kill them? Is is because they are all just bad people? Unthinking spawn of evil? Or would some of us react the same way if our own country was invaded by a bunch of strangers?

I also reject this conflating of "American Patriot" with unthinking rahrah America Love It or Leave It type mentality. If that is the definition of an American Patriot, I guess put me down as not being one of them.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:19 pm

The Interview
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

travellight

Post by travellight » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:12 am

Just saw The End of the Tour, about an interview of the writer, David Foster Wallace, by David Lipsky of Rolling Stone magazine. I thought it was fantastic.

tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:47 am

jmndu99 wrote:American Sniper.

What I liked best, is that the film was not the "all adrenaline" type.
There are human elements in it.

What I liked best is that it ignored the actual history of what happened in Iraq in order to make a good story.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:16 am

This week's movies:

Reverence
Glickman
Hannah Cohen's Holy Communion
The Jewish Cardinal
Ida

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:17 am

Maze Runner. I'd say it's on par with Hunger Games in terms of the overall plot. Not bad.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:04 am

the interview is on netflix. meh.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 am

Just watched the imitation game. Loved it!
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

matjen

Post by matjen » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:03 pm

Deep Thoughts wrote:
yolli71 wrote:
Deep Thoughts wrote:

Not a Michael Moore fan at all. Mr Kyle was a highly decorated veteran. I don't doubt that he was a good soldier. He was also a serial liar. He was found guilty in a defamation suit for telling those stories/lies and he told those stories in such a way to make himself a better man than he was: He claimed he punched out Jesse Venura, He claimed he shot and killed a couple of car jackers in Texas, he claimed that he shot looters and rioters with is sniper rifle after Katrine (all false)..... In his book which I did take the time to read (did you?), he brags of looting peoples houses. I have a lot of respect for real American heroes (I even have some that carried rifles and brought home a few medals in my lineage) and there are much better examples of them than Mr. Kyle in my humble opinion. I would take any elementary school teacher working in an inner city school as being a heck of a lot better example of an American hero than Mr. Kyle ..... I deplore the need in so many Americans to restrict their notions of "heroism" to people that carry guns and shoot people with turbans on their heads. Is that what makes our country great? Is that what we have to feel proud about as a great accomplishment of our country? You have to love the numbers aspect ... he killed "confirmed" 162 people but there were a lot more than that ... i.e. don't just think he killed 162 people ... some of the others got dragged away by their grieving friends or families, so we can't "officially" count them. Have we really become so desensitized that we're supposed to feel good about that? Feel proud?

It's a morally troubling movie. We are shown in the movie Mr Kyle being deeply disturbed about the 9/11 attacks ... but no one asks what killing Iraquies has to do with that. No one is supposed to ask what would make a mother send her child to kill American soldiers? Or why after that child is killed to then try herself to kill them? Is is because they are all just bad people? Unthinking spawn of evil? Or would some of us react the same way if our own country was invaded by a bunch of strangers?

I also reject this conflating of "American Patriot" with unthinking rahrah America Love It or Leave It type mentality. If that is the definition of an American Patriot, I guess put me down as not being one of them.

I've got you marked down as a person who can't just discuss a movie without spouting politics and strawmen in a finance forum. The movie isn't supposed be or marketed as an overview of US foreign policy. Give it a rest..surprised moderators aren't on this.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

Deep Thoughts

Post by Deep Thoughts » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:49 pm

matjen wrote:
Deep Thoughts wrote:
yolli71 wrote:

I've got you marked down as a person who can't just discuss a movie without spouting politics and strawmen in a finance forum. The movie isn't supposed be or marketed as an overview of US foreign policy. Give it a rest..surprised moderators aren't on this.

Matjen, I WAS giving it a rest. I also think that I have consistently kept trying to discuss the movie and the book that the movie was based on ....
This thread although it is on a financial forum is dedicated to movies and reviews of those movies that we have recently watched. I gave the movie a bad review for what I think is it's moral ambiguity. Others have expressed their disagreement with that view.