What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
lostdog

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by lostdog » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:27 pm

Ricola wrote:The Night Manager, Based on John le Carré's novel of the same name, "The Night Manager" is a crime drama following the work of former British soldier Jonathan Pine. This is a BBC 6 part mini series staring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Wow! this is great and even more appreciated as a le Carre fan, even my millennial liked it. :)

I enjoyed this series also. Not action packed but a very good drama.
"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify, simplify." -Thoreau | Vanguard Total World Index

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:59 pm

"Being Flynn" with Robert De Niro on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

steve roy

Post by steve roy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:15 am

The Mrs. and I just saw "Allied" with Brad Pitt.

WWII romance-drama. Well-directed by Robert Zemeckis, but kinda slooow. Does build up tension, but I wish it had more twists and a brisker pace. The crowds at the AMC in which we viewed it were not jostling one another for good seats. There were plenty of good seats available in the theater.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:19 am

lostdog wrote:
Ricola wrote:The Night Manager, Based on John le Carré's novel of the same name, "The Night Manager" is a crime drama following the work of former British soldier Jonathan Pine. This is a BBC 6 part mini series staring Tom Hiddleston and Hugh Laurie. Wow! this is great and even more appreciated as a le Carre fan, even my millennial liked it. :)

I just finished watching this tonight. Excellent. Can't recommend this strongly enough.
Gordon

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 9:57 pm

Lon wrote:I watched "Enemy At The Gates" on Netflix free download last night and enjoyed it. Apparently it was a true story about a Russian sniper in Stalingrad during WW 2.

I watched a good version of the Vilsmaier movie "Stalingrad" on You Tube but as has happened before it has been removed.
One of the great war movies of all time. (the movie of about 1992 or '93)
There are usually short pieces of it on You Tube and sometimes a more complete version might appear but later get taken down for copyright violation or something. When other language is dubbed in instead of the original it makes a disturbing distraction. Better if they would only put the English or Italian or other translation (which might be imperfect) in words/subtitles not sound.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Nov 24, 2016 11:37 pm

I watched the first half hour or so new Rocky Horror. I was disappointed and saw no reason to continue watching.

There was something wrong with the soundtrack; it was muffled. This was recorded off of DirecTV which has never given me problems like this in the past.

I do think Victoria Justice was at least as good, probably better, than Sarandon. She sang well and her overall performance was livelier. But it's hard to tell from only a half hour of muffled sound.
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:16 pm

I saw Arrival on Wednesday. Taking preferences into account (I like science fiction that makes me think), it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. Really glad I decided to go see it.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:51 pm

Mission Impossible Rogue Nation.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:15 pm

I saw Black Book, a Dutch film directed by Paul Verhoeven and starring Carìce Van Houten, Sebastian Koch, Thom Hoffman, Halina Reijn, Waldemar Kobus, Derek de Lint, Christian Berkel, Dolf de Vries, and Michiel Huisman.

Rachel (Carìce Van Houten), a young Jewish girl hiding from the Nazi's during World War II in The Netherlands, sees her hiding place blown up.
She escapes with her rescuer, a young sailor, but the boat sails into a trap set by the Germans. She escapes and joins the resistance. Under the false name of Ellis de Vries she meets SS-hauptsturmführer Ludwig Muntze (Sebastian Koch) on a train smuggling weapons. She goes to his headquarters to meet him again and gain his trust. Soon they fall in love. She joins his office as a spy; however, when someone within the resistance betrays her, she is now seen as an enemy betraying both sides. All that's left to do is run with the man she learned to love and find a way to prove her innocence by finding the real betrayer.

The film is on Netflix, but I saw it on a DVD I borrowed from my library.
Gordon

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:45 am

Get Shorty, free on Amazon Prime. A 1995 action-comedy with John Travolta, Gene Hackman, Danny Devito. I'd call it a "light" comedy. It's not great, but it was a nice change of pace over what I've been recently watching.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:11 am

I recently watched "Dreamcatcher" and I cannot emphasize enough how much you should NOT watch this movie.

I'll tell you why I was so wildly disappointed in it. I subscribed to Hulu about a year ago and there's a show called Life on it. It's a really, really enjoyable show that is kinda corny/cheesy at times but it stars Damian Lewis and he absolutely kills it.
My friend then recommended Band of Brothers and much to my surprise Damian Lewis was in it, and was great again.
Next up was Homeland, since I now have Hulu. It's filmed in Charlotte, NC where I live now. And once again Damian Lewis was awesome.

At this point I'm thinking that anything Lewis touches is going to be gold so I go to his IMDB page. I see Dreamcatcher and it's also go Jason Lee, Morgan Freeman, and a few other people that are usually pretty good. The plot looked weird but possibly interesting. And in all fairness the first third of the movie was pretty decent. Then it got terrible. And I mean wildly stupid and terrible. Please don't watch this movie.

market timer

Post by market timer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:42 am

At the theater: Your Name

On Netflix: Tickled, Sour Grapes, and most of Black Mirror

All recommended.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:45 pm

We watched "The Fighter" with Christian Bale and Mark Walhberg. A true boxing story that I enjoyed.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:46 pm

We also watched "Abondoned" on Netflix. A true story about four men who capsize from a rouge wave and survive 4 months at sea in the Pacific ocean. I believe around 1985 or so.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:41 pm

abuss368 wrote:We watched "The Fighter" with Christian Bale and Mark Walhberg. A true boxing story that I enjoyed.

Great acting by both.
All the Best, | Joe

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:45 pm

The Nature of Money : An amazon documentary by Peter Beringer (2013)

mrtiger

Post by mrtiger » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Snowden.
Great, informative and scary story, that pushes you to think a little about our future and our freedoms.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:54 pm

joe8d wrote:
abuss368 wrote:We watched "The Fighter" with Christian Bale and Mark Walhberg. A true boxing story that I enjoyed.

Great acting by both.

I agree. We had no idea it was a true story.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:54 pm

mrtiger wrote:Snowden.
Great, informative and scary story, that pushes you to think a little about our future and our freedoms.

I want to see that. In my list!

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:59 pm

A Man Called Ove. Highly recommended.

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:42 pm

abuss368 wrote:
mrtiger wrote:Snowden.

I want to see that. In my list!

Citizenfour : (2014) An Amazon Documentary/Biography by Laura Poitras of Snowden is also a new offering.

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:44 am

3% on Netflix... We thought it was good...
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:59 pm

livesoft wrote:East Side Sushi ... a struggling single-mom Latina tries to become a sushi chef despite prejudices in Oakland. I mention this for the other sushi movie watchers. My neighbor gave me his netflix dvd out of the blue, so I watched it. This low-key movie of normal life in Oakland won many awards despite its simple story.

Domo arigato. We just watched it. What a wonderfully inspiring movie.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:03 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:I recently watched "Dreamcatcher" and I cannot emphasize enough how much you should NOT watch this movie.

I'll tell you why I was so wildly disappointed in it. I subscribed to Hulu about a year ago and there's a show called Life on it. It's a really, really enjoyable show that is kinda corny/cheesy at times but it stars Damian Lewis and he absolutely kills it.
My friend then recommended Band of Brothers and much to my surprise Damian Lewis was in it, and was great again.
Next up was Homeland, since I now have Hulu. It's filmed in Charlotte, NC where I live now. And once again Damian Lewis was awesome.

At this point I'm thinking that anything Lewis touches is going to be gold so I go to his IMDB page. I see Dreamcatcher and it's also go Jason Lee, Morgan Freeman, and a few other people that are usually pretty good. The plot looked weird but possibly interesting. And in all fairness the first third of the movie was pretty decent. Then it got terrible. And I mean wildly stupid and terrible. Please don't watch this movie.

I mean... Damian Lewis is awesome, but this movie was terrible.

island

Post by island » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:34 am

MandyT wrote:I saw Arrival on Wednesday. Taking preferences into account (I like science fiction that makes me think), it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. Really glad I decided to go see it.

Sci Fi is not my preference, but I really liked it. We knew nothing about it going in and it gave us a lot to talk about afterward.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:11 pm

Going Clear (2015) Documentary with Paul Haggis and other former members of Scientology about the religion, its beginnings, founder, and controversies. Very interesting. (5/5)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:27 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:I recently watched "Dreamcatcher" and I cannot emphasize enough how much you should NOT watch this movie.

I mean... Damian Lewis is awesome, but this movie was terrible.

Ha ha. I remember watching this years ago in the theater and thinking that it was one of the worst movies ever made.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:30 pm

I really enjoyed this movie. Bale was stupendous.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:58 pm

We saw Snowden in a theatre. I thought it was great, I recommend it... but it is definitely a downer.

We bought The Secret Life of Pets on Amazon Instant Video for the grandkids. Now, to be fair, it had the grandkids in gales of laughter from start to finish. I thought the first fifteen or twenty minutes, in which the pets are acting like pets (sort of)--the dogs are doing doggy things, the cats are doing catty things, etc.--was hysterically funny and almost worth the price of the video. Once Duke runs away with Max, though, it goes to pot--it becomes the standard movie where the animals act like (cartoonish, stereotypic) people, and the plot consists of an endless chain of situations of mortal peril, which resolves to dump the protagonists immediately into another situation of mortal peril. As I say the grandkids seemed to love it. That basic plot always made me anxious when I was a kid and it still makes me anxious today.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

denismurf

Post by denismurf » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:05 pm

Another plug for Arrival, even though there were too many unnecessary implausibilities for my taste by the end.

Even so, the suspense, the acting and special effects carried the day.

Best viewed in a theater.

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:11 pm

Arrival - really enjoyed it.

Allied - well acted, but story was lacking.

Dave

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:23 am

I watched The Lion in Your Living Room on Netflix last night. This is a Canadian documentary that explore the enigmas of the common house cat, from its history of domestication to the science behind its purring. If you like cats, which I do, you'll probably like this, which I did.
Gordon

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:56 am

Spiderwick Chronicles, free on Amazon Prime. A PG-rated fantasy / action movie. Mom & kids move into an old house. Kids get involved in the fantasy world. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:58 am

I just watched the 2016 Jungle Book on Netflix. The Kipling books are beloved childrens' classics and also out of copyright, so there have been a number of movies based on them, and this is one of the better ones. Partly because of the CGI, which is so amazing that most of the time you don't even notice how amazing it is, and partly (in my opinion) because it does a better job of presenting the jungle as a dangerous place where everyone's life is always on the line. It's a Disney movie so there have to be songs, and while they're well done and enjoyable, they also seem to be part of some other movie than the rest of it. The books cover the Little Frog's life from a toddler up to young manhood. The movie has to somehow compress this while still covering the high points. I don't think it quite succeeds but the problems are understandable. Maybe someday there will be a TV series; there's certainly enough material.

Some quibbles: turtles don't make family units. I'm sorry, I used to keep turtles, and they just don't. And no one in the movie ever says "Good hunting" which is probably the most common phrase in the books. And they really should have done more with Kaa...

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:15 am

Goldman Sachs; the Bank That Runs The World (2012) A Documentary & case study of the worlds biggest bank & its influence.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:08 pm

lostdog wrote:

I really enjoyed this also. Thanks for the recommendation.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:46 pm

Mission Impossible 3 on Netflix.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:03 pm

Manchester by the Sea. It's the story of a devastated and self-destructive man. But there are moments of warmth and humor along the way.

The cast is superb. It's a great movie.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... -find-them

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... sty-grief/

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:16 pm

Last night I watched He Got Game on Netflix. I'm not a big Spike Lee fan, and I thought the movie was overly drawn out, but Denzel Washington was great. Not a big surprise there.
Gordon

RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:31 am

Sicario (2015). Excellent movie! Benicio del Toro and Josh Brolin are brilliant in their roles in which they ruthlessly pursue Mexican drug lords.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:05 pm

Saints and Soldiers 2003 - the movie is loosely based on the historic Malmedy Massacre where 4 US and 1 British soldiers tried to rejoin their units behind enemy line.

The ending is rather poignant but one could see it coming. The acting and the story line are superb, though I do not know any of them. There was no special effects or CGI, just human beings trying to survive from both sides. The touch of humanity makes this one special. Runs about 90 minutes with little fanfare. There were blood but it was not gory. It is rated PG-13.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0373283/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Ricola

Post by Ricola » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:33 am

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back starring Tom Cruise. Having read many of the novels and seen the first movie version I thought this was much better than the first movie. They did wonders with this movie in making Tom Cruise into the Jack Reacher character. IMHO it was terrific. :)

Buccaneer82

Post by Buccaneer82 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:31 pm

Went to see Arrival last night was a really good science fiction make you think story.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:55 am

There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane (2011). Documentary about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway car crash in which 8 people were killed including 4 children. If you haven't heard of this before, I would recommend researching the accident prior to watching the documentary. The Wikipedia on it is quite thorough. The details that lead to the events of the accident aren't investigated thoroughly in the documentary, in my opinion. The documentary also doesn't discuss what I feel would've made a more compelling film, that being the denial the remaining members of the Schuler family. It's something of a mystery, but I think that it could be resolved if the widower and sister-in-law would be more forthcoming with the events of the camping trip prior to the accident. (3/5)

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:17 am

amateurnovice wrote:There's Something Wrong with Aunt Diane (2011). Documentary about the 2009 Taconic State Parkway car crash in which 8 people were killed including 4 children. If you haven't heard of this before, I would recommend researching the accident prior to watching the documentary. The Wikipedia on it is quite thorough. The details that lead to the events of the accident aren't investigated thoroughly in the documentary, in my opinion. The documentary also doesn't discuss what I feel would've made a more compelling film, that being the denial the remaining members of the Schuler family. It's something of a mystery, but I think that it could be resolved if the widower and sister-in-law would be more forthcoming with the events of the camping trip prior to the accident. (3/5)

I have traveled ALL of The Taconic State Parkway many, many times and am quite familiar with it, or at least as it was 20+ years ago.
It is a divided four-lane road with the north and south bound lanes widely separated from each other by wild, rough, country (woods, cliffs and other rocky features). It really is a "parkway." It actually intersects the Appalachian Trail.

There are many places where you cannot see the opposite lanes. The two lanes going in one direction can easily be mistaken for a simple two lane country road. Old country roads intersect it at right angles with nothing more than stop signs at the intersection. (I think they have put in some overpasses.) The stop signs at the north and south bound lanes can be many yards apart with the second sign not even visible when stopped at the first. It would be VERY easy to turn onto the the parkway in the wrong direction, especially by someone in a confused state as described by that Wikipedia write-up. Parts of the road have sharp, steep, bends requiring more than normal concentration to navigate safely, even on a clear sunny day. 85 mph could be a challenge!
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:03 am

MandyT wrote:I saw Arrival on Wednesday. Taking preferences into account (I like science fiction that makes me think), it's one of the best movies I've ever seen. Really glad I decided to go see it.

DS recommended this so DW and I went to see it on Thursday night. Agree that it was excellent. Opinion shared by DW.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:24 pm

It seems to be unanimous that Arrival is worth watching. Is it a movie that'll be just as good to rent or is it worth it to go see it on the big screen while I still can?

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:33 pm

Batman vs Superman
Terrible.
Just, really really bad, and not even in a "fun" way.

6miths

Post by 6miths » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:34 pm

My son suggest that it was excellent but that we could wait for the small screen release. It isn't really a sweeping vista or massive soundtrack movie, more about the story, so as good as it was to see on the big screen, I would say that it would be just about as good on the small screen.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:36 pm

I think Arrival will be better on the big screen. It's a thinking movie, so it may be good outside of theaters, but it will probably be best viewed on the full size screen.

Also, this may not be everyone's idea of a good movie. I loved it. Really thought it was terrific, but overhearing the reactions of theater-goers around us opinions were split. A large group had the same very positive opinion I had. A smaller but passionate group didn't enjoy it, was confused by the story telling, or just never got past the suspension of disbelief needed for this kind of Science Fiction.

This is not a space western, shoot 'em up, science fiction movie. It's great, but it's a movie intended to make you think.