What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
theunknowntech

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby theunknowntech » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:56 pm

amateurnovice wrote:
leo383 wrote:There Will Be Blood on Netflix.

I didn't see it when it was in theaters and I'm a pretty big Daniel Day-Lewis fan, but the ending was so hugely disappointing that the movie was ruined for me.

Could you specify what about the ending was so disappointing for you?

"I drink your milkshake" <slurp slurp> One of the great scenes in modern cinema. Yes, I can understand how that would be upsetting to some people. A totally brilliant film.

amateurnovice

Postby amateurnovice » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:23 pm

theunknowntech wrote:
amateurnovice wrote:
leo383 wrote:There Will Be Blood on Netflix.

I didn't see it when it was in theaters and I'm a pretty big Daniel Day-Lewis fan, but the ending was so hugely disappointing that the movie was ruined for me.

Could you specify what about the ending was so disappointing for you?

"I drink your milkshake" <slurp slurp> One of the great scenes in modern cinema. Yes, I can understand how that would be upsetting to some people. A totally brilliant film.

I'm finished!

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sat Jul 02, 2016 2:47 pm

Theeb...a mesmerizing experience. Also, The Fugitive, again for the upteenth time, great drama and actors, Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

travellight

Postby travellight » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:18 pm

Carol. I saw it as a beautiful love story and illustrated the oppressive challenges of being gay in the 50s.

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Sat Jul 02, 2016 4:53 pm

Ricola wrote:Also, The Fugitive, again for the upteenth time, great drama and actors, Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones.

You know T.L.Jones stole the show when he's the one to get the sequel.

This is one of the ones I stop and watch when surfing through the channels. I rarely get to see the first half! :( Last time I came in about where Ford is rummaging through the one-armed man's apartment.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:40 pm

bertilak wrote:You know T.L.Jones stole the show when he's the one to get the sequel.

"What I want out of each and every one of you is a hard target search of every gas station, residence, warehouse, farmhouse, henhouse, outhouse and doghouse in that area." Never gets old. :)

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:24 pm

'Vanishing Pearls" on Netflix. Documentary on Gulf of Mexico Oil Disaster. Very good (and sad).
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:23 pm

Gone Girl.

A really good movie. My wife read the book, and it followed the book closely.
Good suspense, some nudity, and lots of bad language.

Dan999

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Gods of Egypt. I think this is one of those "made for 3-D" movies. Since I watched it in 2-D, I wasn't all that impressed. There's lots of action, meh.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

midareff

Postby midareff » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:50 pm

Independence Day and it was one of the worst I have seen in years.

Conch55

Postby Conch55 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Rainy Sunday so we caught up on some recent releases.

The Big Short (very good)
Brooklyn (good)
Joy (okay)

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:54 pm

Chef
A chef duels with a food critic who wants more creativity
and a restaurant owner who wants to stay with what has
worked in the past. Chef Casper who tries to balance being
a dad with a passion for cooking heads to Miami and taking
possession of a food truck travels and cooks across the country.

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

island

Postby island » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:40 pm

Jupiter Ascending. Atrocious. :x

denismurf

Postby denismurf » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:38 pm

A senior residence I was visiting recently showed 4 For Texas in its rec room. It's kind of a pre-spaghetti western starring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ursala Andress and Anita Eckberg.

Possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

travellight

Postby travellight » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:18 am

Woman in Gold. It's about suing the Austrian government to get back the Klimt painting. I really enjoyed it.

Jeff Albertson

Postby Jeff Albertson » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:19 am

'Boom, Bust, Boom' by Terry Jones, on Netflix.

Terry Jones presents Boom Bust Boom. The result of a meeting between writer, director, historian and Python Terry Jones and economics professor and entrepreneur Theo Kocken. Co-written by Jones and Kocken and featuring John Cusack, Nobel Prize winners Daniel Kahneman, Robert J. Shiller and Paul Krugman, the film is part of a global movement to change the economic system through education to protect the world from boom and bust. A unique look at why economic crashes happen, Boom Bust Boom is a multimedia documentary combining live action with animation and puppetry to explain economics to everyone.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/boom_bust_boom/

crynwr

Postby crynwr » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:47 am

Les Cowboys, a recent French film about the search for a young woman who disappeared from a Country and Western festival in rural France in 1994, when she was 16. The film explicitly references, and pays homage to, The Searchers, but in this case the cultural divide is between the Christian west and the Islamic world. It's a beautifully shot and thought provoking film, worth catching if you get the chance.

Cryn
Oh yes, I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly -- Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:03 pm

We finished "Prison Break" series on Netflix. Enjoyed it.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:09 pm

abuss368 wrote:We finished "Prison Break" series on Netflix. Enjoyed it.

My wife enjoyed it all (eye candy?). I got progressively less interested, and started a game where I tried to predict each scene before it happened. I was batting well over .500.

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:41 pm

Embrace of the Serpent...in a way like Theeb, a memorizing and different type of movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embrace_of_the_Serpent

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 7:18 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
abuss368 wrote:We finished "Prison Break" series on Netflix. Enjoyed it.

My wife enjoyed it all (eye candy?). I got progressively less interested, and started a game where I tried to predict each scene before it happened. I was batting well over .500.

So funny you mention that. I was doing the same end of 3rd season into 4th. Very easy to predict! I still enjoyed the series. 4 years in 4 months!

Random Poster

Postby Random Poster » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:02 pm

Just finished Spotlight.

It was excellent. I didn't want it to end.

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:22 am

The Family Fang.
One of the worst movies I have seen in recent memory.
Mostly just dumb. I was dumb to watch it more than my limit of 15 minutes.

Non7WoodUser

Postby Non7WoodUser » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:34 am

No Escape. It's an accurate reminder of the realities of foreign travel. It confirmed that our decision to not renew our passports was the correct one.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Sun Jul 10, 2016 11:47 am

Random Poster wrote:Just finished Spotlight.

Also watched it last night and agree. The subject and investigation were handled extremely well, with an excellent script and performances by all, in particular Michael Keaton.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Dantes

Postby Dantes » Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:36 am

bertilak wrote:Just finished Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, both the book and then the movie (2011) with Gary Oldman and Benedict Cumberbatch, among others.

I'm not sure how easy the movie would be to follow without first reading the book. The movie followed the book closely, including much of the dialog. Neither book nor movie have much explanatory exposition to keep you on track. You need to figure it out on your own.

Both book and movie are very good. Well the book is an acknowledged classic so I guess you don't need MY recommendation for that! John le Carre himself is listed among the (many) executive producers of the movie so I think he would recommend the movie!

HINT... (Very minor spoiler. Not sure it even counts as a spoiler):

At the beginning of the movie our hero (George Smiley) gets fitted for new glasses. You can recognize flashbacks when you see him wearing his old glasses.

I thought the movie was ok, but the 6 part BBC adaptation with Alec Guinness is, for me, the best thing I have ever seen on television. I watched it in the late seventies, and have rewatched it probably twice a decade since then.

Blues

Postby Blues » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:25 am

Spotlight: As others have stated, excellent. Well cast, well directed and kept you engaged.

Room: Good, important theme, but a bit laborious. (Though I don't know that it was the kind of film where the pace could properly have been quickened.)
“Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.” - Sun Tzu | "Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:52 am

Dantes wrote:
bertilak wrote:Just finished Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, both the book and then the movie (2011) with Gary Oldman and Benedict Cumberbatch, among others.

I thought the movie was ok, but the 6 part BBC adaptation with Alec Guinness is, for me, the best thing I have ever seen on television. I watched it in the late seventies, and have rewatched it probably twice a decade since then.

I will hunt it down!
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

jabberwockOG

Postby jabberwockOG » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:12 am

Fallible wrote:
Random Poster wrote:Just finished Spotlight.

Also watched it last night and agree. The subject and investigation were handled extremely well, with an excellent script and performances by all, in particular Michael Keaton.

We watched Spotlight last night. Growing up in the 60s my wife and I were both raised in the Catholic faith although we are 100% lapsed now. The film is very well made and written. The story is based on a true story of a local Boston paper that documents and publishes the active complicity of the Catholic church in harboring, facilitating and protecting hundreds if not thousands of active pedophile priests for decades. Thousands of children have been molested by Catholic priests over many decades on a worldwide basis. Great film, talented acting with powerful storytelling currently available on Netflix.

crynwr

Postby crynwr » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:00 pm

We watched Spotlight last night. Growing up in the 60s my wife and I were both raised in the Catholic faith although we are 100% lapsed now. The film is very well made and written. The story is based on a true story of a local Boston paper that documents and publishes the active complicity of the Catholic church in harboring, facilitating and protecting hundreds if not thousands of active pedophile priests for decades. Thousands of children have been molested by Catholic priests over many decades on a worldwide basis. Great film, talented acting with powerful storytelling currently available on Netflix.

Thanks for the Netflix tip. I saw the movie during a flight a few months ago. I'd like to see it again. A few years ago, I played the priest in a production of the play Doubt: A Parable. In researching the role, I read some of the work produced by the Globe and the spotlight team. The movie presented the story very very well, I thought.

Cryn
Oh yes, I've learned from my mistakes, and I'm sure I can repeat them exactly -- Sir Arthur Streeb-Greebling

batpot

Postby batpot » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:45 pm

Deadpool - 6.5

Mr. Robot season 1 - 8.5

Got The Big Short, Spotlight, and Black Mass in the queue.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:33 pm

Hindenburg on Netflix.

haranoth

Postby haranoth » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:46 pm

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hunt_f ... derpeople/
The hunt for wilder people...
highly recommend for people who like some light hearted dark comedy...

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:33 pm

The Big Short
Michael Burry an eccentric M.D. turned hedge fund manager
foresees the impending subprime mortgage crisis and a small
group of others by chance or accident find out about him, do
a little research on their own and bet he is right. Facing
ridicule and hostility this small group perseveres until they
are proven correct. The movie depicts them not so happy
about the havoc that has made them rich but nonetheless
a windfall comes their way. Excellently crafted movie based
on real people and real events. I rate it 8.5/10

Dark Horse
I am not into horses or horse racing but this is a very
touching story about the power of a dream and the resolve
to see it through. This documentary is about a group of
working class individuals in Wales who pool their meager
resources together to breed a successful race horse, a
difficult task even for people with money. A little bit
of Seabiscuit and Rocky mixed together.
I rate it 7.5/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

traveler90

Postby traveler90 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:27 am

Have watched quite a few movies lately on some long plane journeys. The best one was "Midnight Special. 9/10

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:02 pm

Watching "The Big Short" on Netflix related to the financial crisis. Very good thus far.

Elsebet

Postby Elsebet » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:46 pm

Couple recent ones we watched on Netflix (discs):

Thirteen - I related to this one because I hung out with a bad crowd in early high school but luckily had a teacher softly intervene and shaped up enough in my junior/senior year to get into college.

Safe - one of Julianne Moore's earlier films. Not sure how I feel about it, although it made me look into MCS. Kind of scary to be afflicted with something like that.

A Serious Man - watch this if you find your life stressful and want to see someone who has it worse!

Air - This one was recommended in the sci-fi thread. I was hoping for more sci-fi meatiness in this one but it was mostly a psychological flick.

The Piano - Good performances from Holly Hunter and a quite young Anna Paquin. Story is a little strange from a modern perspective, as a female I had to heavily suspend disbelief.

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:46 pm

The Judge
A judge in an Indiana town is charged with murder. He is
defended by his estranged son, a successful Chicago lawyer.
Excellent performances by Robert Duvall, Robert Downey Jr.,
and Billy Bob Thornton. 8/10

Maggie's Plan
A young woman(Greta Gerwig) wants a child and plans to go the
artificial insemination route and be a single mom. She however
meets a man whose marriage is on the rocks and they get
married and have a child. Fast forward three years---she realizes
the marriage was a mistake and engineers a re-unification of
her husband with the ex-wife. 6.5/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:39 pm

The other night I watched Spotlight on Netflix. Pretty good.
Gordon

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:55 pm

The Infiltrator, starring Bryan Cranston. One of the best movies of the year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/13/movie ... .html?_r=0

Ghostbusters. The women are very funny together, but, by the end, I felt pummeled by the relentless special effects.

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Sat Jul 23, 2016 12:17 pm

Begin Again, 2013, released 2014. on Netflix. A Weinstein Company production. I like Weinsteins' movies. Always big on character and plot, morality.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

wilson08

Postby wilson08 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Today's Special
A chef with a lackluster style discovers new passion
and intuitive cooking and re-connects with his heritage
through an unlikely encounter. 7.5/10

April and the Extraordinary World

If you like the works of Hayao Miyazaki
(Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, etc.)
you will enjoy this imaginative animated
film. 8.0/10
Last edited by wilson08 on Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:36 pm

"Surviving Progress" on Netflix. Not bad at all and touches on banking, world debts, over population, earth resources, and technology.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:09 pm

Batman v. Superman, Dawn of Justice, Ultimate Edition. Ultimately depressing. I'm guessing they tried to emulate the dark side of the Batman series and ultimately failed. The only thing the movie achieved was to destroy any hope of the Superman or Batman series continuing with any resemblance to its previous good reputation.

The Ultimate Edition added 30 minutes over the Theatrical version. Why, I have no idea.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

navyasw02

Postby navyasw02 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:25 pm

Star Trek Beyond. I did NOT like the previous "reboot" movies, but I actually found this one to be enjoyable.

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:04 am

Saw Last Vegas.
Not deep at all, fluff movie. But being an old guy, I could relate to it. I found it funny, but wife says no more trips for me to Vegas.
Somewhat crude language and mature theme.
Dan999

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:41 pm

We just started "House of Cards" season four. Two episodes in and it is very good.

6miths

Postby 6miths » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:03 pm

Star Trek Beyond. DW and I enjoyed it as did two of our teens who attended. Much more enjoyable than the latest Star Wars IMHO.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

vested1

Postby vested1 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:04 pm

Jason Bourne delivered as promised. Comments by critics mentioned Matt Damon's sparse dialog, so I looked for it in vain. The ongoing saga of one who is more capable than any expect, and the consequences for that disrespect shine through. The glow of innocence is replaced with the look of a jaded all knowing assassin in the logical progression of this tale.

joe8d

Postby joe8d » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:42 pm

"Remember", one of the best of the newer releases for reasons you will understand after you have seen it.
All the Best, | Joe

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”