What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
cholan

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby cholan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:20 pm

Mark RYLANCE. If you want to watch more of his nuanced performance see WolfHall- a six part television serial from the BBC about Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII.
...leaving not a rack behind.

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:32 pm

cholan wrote:Mark RYLANCE. If you want to watch more of his nuanced performance see WolfHall- a six part television serial from the BBC about Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII.

Sorry about the name. I remember his performance in Wolf Hall more clearly than his name :)

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:56 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
cholan wrote:Mark RYLANCE. If you want to watch more of his nuanced performance see WolfHall- a six part television serial from the BBC about Thomas Cromwell and Henry VIII.

Sorry about the name. I remember his performance in Wolf Hall more clearly than his name :)

My fault probably for introducing the misspelling. Should have checked.

Valuethinker

Postby Valuethinker » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:57 am

TomatoTomahto wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:Bridge of Spies, which I enjoyed very much, especially the incomparable Mark Ryland as the Soviet Spy, Colonel Rudolph Abel-- "Would it help?". However it is very Spielberg, it doesn't stop with the cinematic tricks to evoke your emotions.

Yes! We watched this weekend. Mark Ryland should be recognized for his nuanced portrayal. "Would it help?" might become a catchphrase in our home.

Meru -
Three elite climbers struggle to find their way through obsession and loss as they attempt to climb Mount Meru, one of the most coveted prizes in the high stakes game of Himalayan big wall climbing
Gripping. I got a peek at what drives these climbers, but honestly, I still don't quite get it.

Right this is where I misspelt Rylance as Ryland.

Munir

Postby Munir » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:03 am

"The Prophet". A beautiful animated film by the same director of "The Lion King".

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 8:02 pm

Matt Damon "The Martian"
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:32 pm

The Magnificent Seven (1960).
Ad astra per aspera.

poker27

Postby poker27 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 10:39 pm

Martian- was good all around. Slightly different then the usual space movie

Burnt - thought it had a good mix of food, romance, and drama. Very happy with it

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:48 pm

X-Men: Days of Future Past - The Rogue Cut - liked it more than the original cut

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies - could have been an hour shorter with tighter editing. A trilogy was really unnecessary.

Bessie (the biopic on HBO about blues singer Bessie Smith) - enjoyed Queen Latifah's voice. She has more range than most people know.

Edge of Tomorrow - enjoyed it a lot despite the fact that I can't stand Tom Cruise. I suppose the fact that Cruise's character was funny and got beat up a lot helped :wink:

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:53 pm

The 33.
Story of the mining disaster in Peru. Good story, both wife and I like it.

obgraham

Postby obgraham » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:53 am

Watched Judgement at Nuremberg the other night. Many years since I saw it. What a superb movie! Acting at the highest level, from both the major and secondary stars. Excellent photography even by today's standards. And the moral questions the film raises are still with us today.

Who would think that a film soon to be 60 years old could be relevant today and compete with modern moviemaking!

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:08 pm

Meru is a must see documentary for anyone interested in climbing. Watched it this week. Simply amazing!

merufilm.com

is the url tool not working?

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:22 pm

Bustoff wrote:Meru is a must see documentary for anyone interested in climbing. Watched it this week. Simply amazing!

I'm not really interested in climbing (I'm afraid of heights) but the film is very much worth seeing for anyone interested in human courage, love, dedication, stubbornness, tenacity, stoicism, faith, etc.

Toons

Postby Toons » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Sword Of Destiny :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

snowshoes

Postby snowshoes » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:52 am

Four Horsemen: by Stiglitz & Chomsky, directed by R.Ashcroft.

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:27 pm

The Witch is a superlative horror movie.

Here's a link to a review...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/ ... tch-review

miles monroe

Postby miles monroe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:31 pm

room.

nominated for best picture? must have been a bad year for movies is all i can say.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:59 pm

The other night I watched Finding Vivian Maier on Netflix.

This 2013 American documentary was written, produced, and directed by John Maloof and Charles Siskel. Vivian Maier was a French-American woman who worked most of her life as a nanny and housekeeper to a multitude of Chicago families. She carried a camera everywhere she went, but her photographic legacy was largely unknown during her lifetime. She died in 2009.

The film documents how Maloof discovered her work and, after her death, uncovered her life through interviews with people who knew her.
Maloof had purchased a box of photo negatives at a 2007 Chicago auction, then scanned the images and put them on the Internet. News articles began to come out about Maier, and a Kickstarter campaign for the documentary was soon underway. The documentary won various awards and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature.

Fascinating documentary.
Gordon

market timer

Postby market timer » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:10 pm

Anomalisa

I'm a huge Charlie Kaufman fan, so had to see this when it was released. It's not nearly as entertaining as some of his other films. In fact, it shows how boring our lives become, basically how people become robots (or maybe we just perceive others as robotic), and how anomalous it is to connect (and stay connected) with another person. Like the rest of Kaufman's work, this film sticks with you.

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:47 am

Just watched Truth, a re-creation of news anchor Dan Rather's fall from grace. Very revealing about the events of that time.

denismurf

Postby denismurf » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:51 pm

I think it's only on Netflix:

The Heavy Water War

Based on the historical fact that Germany was trying desperately to develop and deploy an atomic bomb before the Allies. To do this, they needed steady supplies of high quality heavy water manufactured in occupied Norway, not in Germany.

This is actually several movies in one. The Norwegian plant managers vs the steely SS major in charge of security. The chief German nuclear scientist, Werner Heisenberg, vs his wife and his German military bosses who wanted a nuclear bomb to destroy London NOW. And finally, all of the above vs a team of Norwegian commandos who were going to be parachuted into Norway to blow up the heavy water plant, which was too heavily reinforced to be destroyed by bombs from the air.

This excellent collection of related stories is full of suspense despite the existence of spoilers in any number of histories out there. There are 6 installments, all superbly acted and directed with subtitles for the lines in Norwegian, English, and German.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:54 am

Deleted.
Last edited by gkaplan on Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:56 am

denismurf wrote:I think it's only on Netflix:

The Heavy Water War

Based on the historical fact that Germany was trying desperately to develop and deploy an atomic bomb before the Allies. To do this, they needed steady supplies of high quality heavy water manufactured in occupied Norway, not in Germany.

This is actually several movies in one. The Norwegian plant managers vs the steely SS major in charge of security. The chief German nuclear scientist, Werner Heisenberg, vs his wife and his German military bosses who wanted a nuclear bomb to destroy London NOW. And finally, all of the above vs a team of Norwegian commandos who were going to be parachuted into Norway to blow up the heavy water plant, which was too heavily reinforced to be destroyed by bombs from the air.

This excellent collection of related stories is full of suspense despite the existence of spoilers in any number of histories out there. There are 6 installments, all superbly acted and directed with subtitles for the lines in Norwegian, English, and German.

Kirk Douglas starred in an 1960s movie on this topic: Heroes of Telemark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Heroes_of_Telemark
Gordon

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:18 pm

Whitehouse Down, rated PG-13. There was enough action and plot creativity to keep it mildly interesting. Meh.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Sheepdog

Postby Sheepdog » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:07 pm

Bridge of Spies. I am "one of the cold war crowd."..even a pre-cold war inhabitant. I watched the show yesterday and enjoyed it very much. My memory was strong of the Abel trial, the Powers U2 debacle, and the on-a-bridge prisoner exchange. The portrayal was as I remembered. What I did not know was how the exchange was formulated and who were the participants to bring it about, so that added to my memory.
The portrayal of the school kids learning fallout survival in school brought even more memories of how we were all trained to know where shelters were, and some homes had shelters built in their back yards However, the thought of a kid going home to fill up the tub with water was really over the top.
However good or bad a situation is, it will change

snowshoes

Postby snowshoes » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:18 pm

The World According to Dick Cheney : a great biography !
Last edited by snowshoes on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveatca

another Marvel comic

Postby daveatca » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Deadpool.
Meh.
No plot.
Fight scenes too long.
I am a Ryan Reynolds' fan, but this was meh.

fsrph

Postby fsrph » Thu Mar 17, 2016 11:14 pm

Star Wars - The Force Awakens
The Revenant
10 Cloverfield Lane
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:36 am

Sniper Legacy on Crackle. The Sniper movie series.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

ruralavalon

Postby ruralavalon » Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:08 pm

Larry Crowne, a romantic comedy with Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts. Fun and entertaining, available on Netflix.

Spotlight, starring Michael Keaton about the Boston Globe's investigation of the child sex abuse scandal in the Boston Archdiocese. An excellent movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Sheepdog

Postby Sheepdog » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:09 am

Dan999 wrote:The 33.

Saw it last night. We liked it also
However good or bad a situation is, it will change

rixer

Postby rixer » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:31 am

Black Mass
The story of Whitey Bulger
Very good.

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:22 am

Just watched The Big Short. I had already read the book and really enjoyed the movie.

Also, for any Harry Bosch fans, the second season of Bosch has been released on Amazon. Really terrific and hard to stop watching the entire season in one setting.

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:28 am

I wanted to watch the Big Short last night, but the wife was not enthusiastic, so we watch Brooklyn. A real chick flick, but it had a lot of Ireland in it so it was ok.
I will watch the big Short sometime she is not watching tv with me. I can see why if you are not into business/financial chaos, she would not be interested.
Dan999

bondsr4me

Postby bondsr4me » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:28 pm

Nicolas wrote:The Magnificent Seven (1960).

+1 on this movie...love the movie...love the soundtrack

I watched True Grit and El Dorado.

They just don't get any better than "The Duke" John Wayne.

Don

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:41 pm

Last night went to movie house to see 5th Wave, however the movie house made an error and actually was showing, The Big Short. I didn't want to see a depressing show, and left. [read the book and saw TBS last week :x ]

YMMV
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

Swansea

Postby Swansea » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Dr. Strangelove with Peter Sellers.

Conch55

Postby Conch55 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:53 pm

Inception and Interstellar, on a Christopher Nolan kick. Enjoyed both.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:51 pm

delete
Last edited by Fallible on Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

telemark

Postby telemark » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:59 pm

Toons wrote:Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
Sword Of Destiny :happy

Who's going to pay for all these tables?

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:43 pm

The Confirmation. A very enjoyable new comedy/drama from first-time director Bob Nelson. Mr. Nelson was nominated for an Academy Award for his Nebraska screenplay.

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... ating-mix/

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/18/movie ... .html?_r=0

island

Postby island » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:48 pm

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot with Tina Fey. Enjoyed it.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:07 pm

The People vs. OJ Simpson. Episode 7. Each episode feels like a mini movie.

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:13 pm

"The Martian." A most beautiful line spoken perfectly: "Hey there." And its repeat toward the end could've been an appropriate ending.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

bertilak

Postby bertilak » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:16 pm

Zoolander (2001).

What a hoot. Male fashion model (Derek Zoolander) as a trained and brainwashed assassin. Pure idiocy, but lovable idiocy.

Wonderful cameos. Oddest one, I think is Derek Zoolander's father played by John Voight doing, I think, a weird impression of a cross between William Shatner (look) and Christopher Walken (voice). Or maybe that's just John Voight! Lots of real-life people also, even Donald Trump.

Ben Stiller's father (Jerry Stiller) had a decent part and his mother (Anne Meara) an unaccredited cameo.

Homages to famous films, for example Michael's "You broke my heart Fredo" speech in The Godfather, and an ape scene from 2001 Space Odyssey. You sure can believe Owen Wilson as an ape!

There is a Zoolander 2 out now. I'll wait for availability via streaming.

Trivia found in the Internet: There is a Dutch model Mark Vanderloo and an American model Johnny Zander.

QUESTION: Can anyone explain the "Magnum Look?" I was waiting for a good Magnum P.I. or Tom Sellick impression but I don't think I got it.
I have a strong moral sense - by my standards. | -- Rex Stout

theunknowntech

Postby theunknowntech » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:02 pm

A Woman Under the Influence (1974)

How do you _define_ crazy? It's a matter of interpretation. You'll never look at Columbo the same way again. There's a lot to see here.

protagonist

Postby protagonist » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Her.

I liked it OK, but not as much as I anticipated.

The premise was a very believable, dystopic near-future where a man falls in love with an AI.

The first half or so was quite compelling, but I found the last half or so somewhat repetitive and a bit tedious, and the whole thing was a bit too predictable.

On a five star rating system, I suppose I would give it about 3 1/2, in a generous moment.

Oh, and I recently saw The Revenant. Excellent acting, beautiful cinematography, but way too long, and again with a very predictable ending. Besides which, the ability for the protagonist to survive anything and everything really strained credulity, to the point where it became laughable. And there were many times when one could have gone out for a bathroom break and some popcorn, and felt that they missed nothing upon return. 3 stars.

I'd give the new Star Wars 4 stars. Delightfully retro.

By the way, I am feeling rather generous with the stars today. If you asked me tomorrow I might not be so generous.

jrtexas

Postby jrtexas » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:49 pm

Dan999 wrote:The 33.

Absolutely!

amateurnovice

Postby amateurnovice » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:27 am

Black Hawk Down (2001) Josh Hartnett, Eric Bana, Jason Isaacs, Tom Sizemore, William Fichtner, Ewan McGregor, Tom Hardy, Sam Shepard, Orlando Bloom. Ensemble cast playing the story of the Battle of Mogadishu in 1993. Directed by Ridley Scott. This is one of my favorite war movies, but it is a war junkie's movie, much like Full Metal Jacket. If you're one that doesn't like war action or can't stand some blood and guts on screen, then don't watch it. It also portrays Somalis in a negative light; they're either gun-toting warlords or starving to death. The UN is also not given its due as it provided more support than the movie depicts. It's a moving story one way or another, but there are parts to it that are unbelievable. 4/5

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - a bit like reinventing the wheel, but still enjoyable

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”