What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DSInvestor

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby DSInvestor » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:22 am

Muscle Shoals on Netflix. I really enjoyed it.

amateurnovice

Postby amateurnovice » Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:44 pm

The Big Short (2015) Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling. As we're well aware, this film gives insight into the guys who first realized the housing market was built on bad credit or fraud and decided to take advantage of it with credit default swaps. I've seen Margin Call, Inside Job, and Too Big to Fail. The Big Short explains the crisis with more clarity and insight than these three combined. I found Carell's character a little overwrought if not out right annoying and unbelievable. Gosling provides the comic relief as a banker out to make a fortune. Bale's quirkiness is enjoyable to watch. Pitt has a small role as an old school trader that helps some young guns short the market, but he's mostly a moral shepherd for the audience. Jeremy Strong (Selma, Lincoln, Humboldt County) has a solid role as Carell's quantitative henchman, with two other guys that are like a financial Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. 4/5

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:19 pm

amateurnovice wrote:The Big Short (2015) Christian Bale, Steve Carell, Brad Pitt, Ryan Gosling. As we're well aware, this film gives insight into the guys who first realized the housing market was built on bad credit or fraud and decided to take advantage of it with credit default swaps. I've seen Margin Call, Inside Job, and Too Big to Fail. The Big Short explains the crisis with more clarity and insight than these three combined. I found Carell's character a little overwrought if not out right annoying and unbelievable. Gosling provides the comic relief as a banker out to make a fortune. Bale's quirkiness is enjoyable to watch. Pitt has a small role as an old school trader that helps some young guns short the market, but he's mostly a moral shepherd for the audience. Jeremy Strong (Selma, Lincoln, Humboldt County) has a solid role as Carell's quantitative henchman, with two other guys that are like a financial Rosencrantz and Guildenstern. 4/5

Nice post; would be a good add to the current thread: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=180435

I know what you mean about Carell. If I'd seen the movie without reading the book, I might have thought the same, but I thought the film nicely established Carell's (Baum/Eisman) highly emotional nature (as the book did) so that in some ways, the Baum character, which Carell never broke, was at times underplayed. I like the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern analogy. I thought the two Cornwall guys were well handled in the film, but even funnier in the book.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

saladdin

Postby saladdin » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:59 pm

The Revenant

Meh, nothing special. Wayyyy toooo long.

Qtman

Postby Qtman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Gran Torino
Don’t wear yourself out trying to get rich; be wise enough to control yourself. | Wealth can vanish in the wink of an eye. It can seem to grow wings and fly away | like an eagle. - King Solomon

Carl53

Postby Carl53 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:53 pm

13 Hours tonight.

Joy and several others on a flight from Australia.

bengal22

Postby bengal22 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:27 pm

Joy = b+
Concussion = b

Ron Ronnerson

Postby Ron Ronnerson » Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 pm

Big Short: loved it. The story was told in a fun way and the movie kept me interested the whole time. There are terrific performances by lots of great actors too. Christian Bale and Steve Carell are particularly good. The movie flows at a nice tempo and manages to keep a heavy topic light enough to enjoy in a movie without diminishing the seriousness of what occurred during the housing collapse.

The Revenant: disappointed. It was amazing to look at visually but the plot drags on. I didn't really care about the characters; they're all pretty one-dimensional. There isn't much of a point to the movie either (at least not as far as I could see). The movie's got a stunning setting and really makes you feel like you're in the 1800s but does not have a great plot nor compelling characters.

Star Wars: pretty good. I'm not a Star Wars fan but was entertained by The Force Awakens. It's a fun enough ride despite a bunch of plot holes and implausible events which make a person mumble to themselves "what are the chances!" If you don't think too hard and just enjoy the action and funny lines, it's a decent way to spend a couple of hours.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:40 pm

The Bank Job. I liked it.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:32 pm

Prison Break Season 2 on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Toons

Postby Toons » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:33 pm

The One I Love-Netflix :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:38 pm

"Training Day" on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

obgraham

Postby obgraham » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:56 pm

I know it was discussed here before, but finally got to Bridge of Spies the other night in a 2nd run theatre.

Superb movie. 50's-60's atmosphere well portrayed. Good to see a movie without requiring a boatload of CGI, car chases, or superfluous horizontal Lambada. Just the story, dialogue, and intrigue.

And the topper: a most remarkable performance by Mark Rylance, worthy of the award for which he is nominated. He creates his character through nuance, body language, and facial expression: that's what "acting" is supposed to be.

Dimitri

Postby Dimitri » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:05 pm

Spy -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3079380/

Funny movie. Don't think too hard.
Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun.

tj218

Postby tj218 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:18 pm

saladdin wrote:The Revenant

Meh, nothing special. Wayyyy toooo long.

I see how you can feel that way, but I thought it was very well done and entertaining. Felt like a 60s epic western. The cinematography alone in this movie makes it worth seeing.

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:39 pm

The Revenant.
Terrific gritty suspenseful western wilderness adventure film. Locations and cinematography are stunning. Acting is top notch. A few scenes are unsuitable for some of the human race..................and all bears in general.

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:45 pm

13 Hours.
Exciting action packed depiction of the assault on our Embassy and then
CIA location in Benghazi. Its a long movie (but there is an unofficial bathroom "break" between each attack for us baby boomers).

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:47 pm

Joy
Good depiction of Joy Manganos rise to fame. After seeing her in real life ,however, she is far more dynamic than the movie portrayed. IMHO.

reggiesimpson

Postby reggiesimpson » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:47 pm

I'm going to waaay too many movies!

jeremyl

Postby jeremyl » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:00 pm

The big short a couple weeks ago. 13 hours today. My wife and I liked both. Very thankful for those that defend our freedoms.

cheese_breath

Postby cheese_breath » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:41 pm

Music Within... "The film tells the true story of Richard Pimentel, a respected public speaker whose hearing disability attained in the Vietnam War drove him to become an activist for the Americans with Disabilities Act" (Wikipedia)

Just finished watching on TV a few minutes ago.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

srt7

Postby srt7 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:56 pm

Heist (2015 starring Robert DeNiro etc..) - RedBox

Entertaining movie with good plot twists. But don't think too hard :D

stemikger

Postby stemikger » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:55 pm

The Martian (Loved it)
The Danish Girl (Really liked it)
The Big Short (Liked it)

All worth seeing. However, some people may find the Big Short too technical to enjoy it.
Press on Regardless!!! | Holding the Balanced Index Fund through thick and thin!!

market timer

Postby market timer » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:36 am

Just saw "Steve Jobs." Thought it was the best movie I've seen from 2015 so far.

"Spotlight" was a solid movie, though pretty straightforward.

"Hateful Eight" was not really my cup of tea, though I enjoyed the cinematography.

"In the Heart of the Sea" was entertaining and forgettable.

CoAndy

Postby CoAndy » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 am

The Revenant. A bit long but good.

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:13 pm

The Queen; I'm only 10 years late. The queen and her immediate family were really out of touch with the people :oops:

bstevlin

Postby bstevlin » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:22 pm

My wife and I just viewed Brooklyn. She rated it as at least a two hankie film. We both thought it was a fine movie well worth our time and money. We highly recommend it. I know my Irish mom has watched it more than once in the big Irish cinema in the sky.

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:50 pm

Just rented The Intern. Nice laid back movie. I appreciated it since it is a retired guy trying to find his way. My wife said it was slow in spots.
The liked it because there was no violence or foul language.
Dan999

Bustoff

Postby Bustoff » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:36 pm

"The Hundred-Foot Journey"
We really enjoyed this film.
It's currently running on Showtime.

Ricola

Postby Ricola » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:45 pm

Just watched, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. We really liked it, action packed and kept our interest.

MSchleicher

Postby MSchleicher » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:51 pm

Ricola wrote:Just watched, Maze Runner: The Scorch Trials. We really liked it, action packed and kept our interest.

+1

I liked the sequel, The Scorch Trials, much more than The Maze Runner. Hopefully the subsequent movies in the series continue the high-level of action.

travellight

Postby travellight » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:35 pm

I'll be me, about Glen Campbell and Alzheimers. Really terrific film and I developed great appreciation for him, his music, and his openness in sharing this very challenging ordeal.

cheese_breath

Postby cheese_breath » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:33 pm

travellight wrote:I'll be me, about Glen Campbell and Alzheimers. Really terrific film and I developed great appreciation for him, his music, and his openness in sharing this very challenging ordeal.

I didn't really consider that a movie in the usual sense, but it was very interesting and mind provoking.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

StevieG72

Postby StevieG72 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Revenant - I really enjoyed this movie, it is based on a true story which I always favor. It is rather long but was well done, worth the trip and expense to see it at the theater. As a bonus it was extremely cold in the theater so you kind of felt like you were there!

13 Hours.... Awesome movie.. I rarely watch the same movie twice but I could watch this again. Of course based on a true story and just top notch. I used to think that war / conflict movies were exaggerated for effect / drama. After seeing The Hornets Nest ( actual footage from Afghanistan) I realized they are not so exaggerated!
The crap really hits the fan in this movie, I highly recommend watching this one at the theater.

I am hoping to catch the Big Short soon, I have skipped the reviews on this site in fear of spoilers!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

snowshoes

Postby snowshoes » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:30 pm

Food Matters by J.Bosch- On Amazon / Let food be thy medicine and medicine by thy food- vs. a pill for every ill. Additionally todays western medicine discounts medicinal avenues of the early Asian, Greek & Roman medicinal times, exercise, stretching, nutrition, muscle manipulation, heat and rest.

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:20 am

Anomalisa - stop motion film by Charlie Kaufman. It has been nominated for this year's Academy Award for Best Animated Feature.
It's a weird movie. If you like Charlie Kaufman movies (esp Being John Malkovich, Adaptation), you'll enjoy it. My wife hated it and I got an earful. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:08 pm

The Imitation Game. It was ok. I thought Keira Knightly was too pretty to be the real Joan Clark.

navyasw02

Postby navyasw02 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:03 pm

Hateful Eight - entertaining, but typical QT's overuse of meaningless dialogue. Also started off as a pretty interesting premise as a Western mystery, but I lost interest after a certain point when it became less mysterious. Samuel Jackson's character alone was worth watching and his interaction with Kirk Russell's character is quite entertaining. Also I'm not sure why it was filmed on 70mm film when 95% of the movie was inside.

The Revenant - visually amazing, dramatic, and at some points downright gripping, but I fell asleep for about 20 minutes.

Spectre - really wanted to like it, but probably the worst Daniel Craig Bond movie yet. I enjoyed watching Christoph Waltz, although he mostly turns the previously empty, but diabolical Blofeld character into kindve a whiny, limp individual.

Chef - watched it on a plane, but watched again on Netflix. Great movie and the food is delicious looking. Seriously makes me want to change careers and run a food truck

50 Shades of Grey - barf.

SuperGrafx

Postby SuperGrafx » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:30 am

I watched Bourne Supremacy over the weekend

bengal22

Postby bengal22 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:18 am

Due to more rain than normal, I have seen Star Wars, Joy, Concussion, Revenant, the big short, and Brooklyn this month. I would recommend all of them but my favorite was Brooklyn, which I absolutely loved and seemed simple but flawless in its storytelling.

Benp404

Postby Benp404 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:43 pm

Get Hard - it's funny but didn't watch it to the end.

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:48 pm

SuperGrafx wrote:I watched Bourne Supremacy over the weekend

We just borrowed this one from the library and finished it up last night. Very mediocre.

Barefootgirl

Postby Barefootgirl » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Mad Dogs on Amazon. At first the subtleties were lost on me. It took me awhile to get that it's not another formulaic TV series, but rather a drama that includes themes taken from classic literature. Very well done, if you pay close attention.
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:25 pm

Last night, I watched Female Agents on Netflix. This is a French historical drama directed by Jean-Paul Salomé and starring Sophie Marceau, Julie Depardieu, Marie Gillain, Déborah François, and Moritz Bleibtreu. The 2000 film recounts resistance fighters during World War II. This is an excellent movie, albeit sometimes confusing. I highly recommend it.
Gordon

travellight

Postby travellight » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:45 pm

I am at the Sundance film Festival and just saw two notable films. One was called Frank and Lola which was a psychosexual film noir that was very well done. Michael Shannon was phenomenal in this role. The second film is called Swiss army man and it is quite possibly the most bizarre weird film at Sundance. It is an absurdist buddy film starring Paul Dano. I enjoyed it greatly.

The breakout hit of this festival was a film called the birth of a nation. I'm going to try to see it in the next few days.

peppers

Postby peppers » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:01 am

I went on a binge this week.

The Revenant - I had high expectations for this film but came away disappointed. Some of the scenes were not credible in my eyes.

The Hateful Eight - If you are a Tarantino fan you will probably enjoy this film. Yep, lots of blood and gore.

The Big Short - "Two mortgages ? ...I have six houses and a condo." That scene for me describes the mindset of a lot of people at that time.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

stoptothink

Postby stoptothink » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:32 pm

Ex Machina - one of the trippiest movies I've seen in a while. Enjoyed it, seemingly less than my wife.

Frugal Al

Postby Frugal Al » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:35 am

I also enjoyed Ex Machina more than my wife. I don't think she appreciated me finding the humanoid attractive.:D
Also watched Big Eyes recently. A very different film for Tim Burton. As usual, Amy Adams was great. I'd give it a solid B. No special effects here, just a fascinating drama.

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:49 am

Spotlight - How the Boston Globe broke the story about the child abuse scandal. Great performances throughout.

Lone Star - 1996 movie starring Chris Cooper, directed by John Sayles. Great soundtrack.

VictoriaF

Postby VictoriaF » Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:15 pm

The Best of Monty Python: Graham Chapman (on DVD).

I didn't know much about Chapman, and his best sketches were good but not what I would consider "the best." I then read his biography. Chapman was a medical doctor who chose to be a comedian. He died at the age of 48.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”