What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
itstoomuch

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:23 am

Serena, 2014. A craft movie with Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper. A darkish love story.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:24 am

Mary Poppin. Flying nanny and inattentive parents with too much money :annoyed
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:18 am

The Admiral: Roaring Currents 2014, Korean. $100million US release. Naval battle of https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Myeongnyang
Leadership is everything with the help of fortune.

denismurf

Postby denismurf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:46 pm

Van wrote:Spotlight. Very good. Will appeal to all secular logical thinkers.

This was a gut-wrencher for me, an ex-Catholic who also spent quite a lot of time in Boston as an adult in the 80's.The acting is spectacular and the film very well done. I cried with the victims and shared their rage at the system that bought them off and let the victimizers walk free.

This is not the best time of year to watch a movie like this. I left the theater feeling drained and sick at my stomach.

cfs

Postby cfs » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:00 pm

Star Wars: Episode VII

Just came back from watching the latest Star Wars episode--exceeded my expectations.

Wishing all my shipmates a Feliz Navidad.
~Alumnus, Retirement Class of 2014 || Black Swan Ready Portfolio with a 0% spending rate~

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:02 pm

Limitless, starring some guy who I've seen in other movies and Robert DeNiro (appears later in the movie).

The plot starts off slow and builds gradually. The way the main character made his money had me screaming "Market timer!!!" "Technical analysis!!!" :shock: Noooo.... it can't work.... it just can't.... this was a Bogleheads horror film.

The plot really builds on you. I liked it. Not great, but OK.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Loon11

Postby Loon11 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:52 pm

not exactly a movie, but Homeland, Season 4, is great!

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:06 pm

The Big Short. Highly entertaining. I haven't read the book, but I would be surprised if it has the comic tone of the movie.

Two good reviews...

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/ ... d-bargains

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/11/movie ... .html?_r=0

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:38 pm

Prison Break series on Netflix - Season 1 completed. We enjoyed it and recommend the show.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Fallible

Postby Fallible » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:59 pm

jginseattle wrote:The Big Short. Highly entertaining. I haven't read the book, but I would be surprised if it has the comic tone of the movie. ...

Please do read the book, especially for the humorous side that grows so naturally out of the characters. It's a wonder how Lewis found the perfect characters to reveal the coming crisis and he has done this in his other books. I'll see the movie soon, but feel certain it can't be funnier than the book and Lewis's writing.

Thanks for the reviews. Others I've read find fault only in the movie not showing how many, many people did see a housing bust coming, though not a global crisis. You'll get a broader picture of this in the book and also the warnings Wall Street had in the '90s that were ignored.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

jlawrence01

Postby jlawrence01 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:07 pm

1940 - The Bank Dick starring W.C. Fields

dougger5

Postby dougger5 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Saw Star Wars TFA last weekend. Have some quibbles, but enjoyed it overall, and wouldn't mind seeing again soon for closer analysis of certain scenes.

Last night: The Wolf Of Wall St. Well done, but definitely not a "feel good" movie. And, uhh, definitely not one for the kids.

Getting ready to watch everyone's favorite Christmas movie, Ex Machina.

:beer
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

truenorth418

Postby truenorth418 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:18 pm

Just watched my favorite Christmas movie: Die Hard.

snowshoes

Postby snowshoes » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:05 pm

Silent Conquest: by Mark Steyn, Daniel Pips. Illustrating the ultimate end of free speech in the west(USA).

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:36 am

Fallible wrote:
jginseattle wrote:The Big Short. Highly entertaining. I haven't read the book, but I would be surprised if it has the comic tone of the movie. ...

Please do read the book, especially for the humorous side that grows so naturally out of the characters. It's a wonder how Lewis found the perfect characters to reveal the coming crisis and he has done this in his other books. I'll see the movie soon, but feel certain it can't be funnier than the book and Lewis's writing.

Thanks for the reviews. Others I've read find fault only in the movie not showing how many, many people did see a housing bust coming, though not a global crisis. You'll get a broader picture of this in the book and also the warnings Wall Street had in the '90s that were ignored.

I agree. I read the book a few years ago and thought it was great. I was afraid the movie was going to be a bore. I was pleasantly surprised. Both the book and the movie really are excellent.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:11 pm

I saw Star Wars on IMAX in 3D. I recommend seeing it that way if it's available to you.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Postby abuss368 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 4:06 pm

The Red Baron on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

travellight

Postby travellight » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:56 pm

I am going to see Star Wars in IMAX 3D at the Chinese theater (where I think it premiered in 1977, Hayden. Can't wait! My son tells me it is one of only 7 such theaters showing Star Wars in the country and only 14 world wide.

travellight

Postby travellight » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:58 pm

I saw Dope on Redbox; loved it. I had wanted to see it last year when I was at the Sundance film festival but couldn't get tickets for it.

miles monroe

Postby miles monroe » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:11 pm

"a christmas story" of course! followed by "a christmas story 2". a sequel. who knew?

madbrain

Postby madbrain » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:29 pm

travellight wrote:I am going to see Star Wars in IMAX 3D at the Chinese theater (where I think it premiered in 1977, Hayden. Can't wait! My son tells me it is one of only 7 such theaters showing Star Wars in the country and only 14 world wide.

Your son is in error. There are more than 7 IMAX 3D theaters showing Star Wars in northern California alone. Of course, not all IMAX screens and projectors are created equal.

JJP

Postby JJP » Fri Dec 25, 2015 8:48 pm

I saw the 70mm roadshow version of Tarantino's new movie The Hateful Eight on it's opening night last night. If you enjoy his work, you will enjoy this movie also. The camera work was incredible, the dialogue (if it's for you) is classic Tarantino, and the musical score is perfect. The experience of having a physical paper "program" showing the characters as well as photos of the movie being shot was great too. I'd definitely like to do it again.

travellight

Postby travellight » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:14 pm

I think some stuff got lost in translation with me as the communicator, madbrain. I think what he meant was 4k IMAX 3D laser projection. I found this article that cited 7 theaters in the country to best view this movie:

http://www.wired.com/2015/12/best-star-wars-screens/

One of the 7 is in SF.

Ninnie

Postby Ninnie » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:28 pm

The Bishop's Wife on TCM last night. An underrated classic.

Tonight, ET. Because it never gets old.

joebh

Postby joebh » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:39 pm

Saw "The Big Short". Very good- better than expected!

Dantes

Postby Dantes » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:52 pm

Another Big Short viewing. Very entertaining; part of it very funny. A well-made movie.

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:07 pm

Generation War on Netflix.

Robert44

Postby Robert44 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:43 pm

Went to JOY today. Not very good!

Nicolas

Postby Nicolas » Sat Dec 26, 2015 10:52 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:1940 - The Bank Dick starring W.C. Fields

I love W.C. Fields. One of my favorites is My Little Chickadee with Mae West. What makes it even more delightful is knowing that in real life they hated each other. Fields famously said of Miss West that she was "A plumber's idea of Cleopatra".

MP173

Postby MP173 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:08 pm

Not a movie, but the wife and I have been watching "Blacklist" and are almost done with season 2. Great series.

Ed

TomatoTomahto

Postby TomatoTomahto » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:52 pm

abuss368 wrote:Prison Break series on Netflix - Season 1 completed. We enjoyed it and recommend the show.

DW and I enjoyed the first season. I was starting to lose interest towards the end of the first season; DW was more invested (eye candy, maybe?). We are in season 2. I will watch the rest of 2.5 more seasons with her, because what else does a loving spouse do, but IMO the writing got lazy and the plot increasingly preposterous. But, if you can suspend disbelief, it's not bad.

chuckb84

Postby chuckb84 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 1:46 pm

JMacDonald wrote:The French farce, "The Tall Blond Man with the One Black Shoe," is finally out on DVD: http://www.filmmovement.com/filmcatalog ... diseID=417

The movie is about what happens when an ordinary person get in the middle of spies spying on spies. Very amusing.

I am now wailing for the sequel; "The Return of ..." so come out on DVD.

I still remember Mireille Darc in the dress ;). The rest of the movie is good too!

abuss368

Postby abuss368 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:15 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Prison Break series on Netflix - Season 1 completed. We enjoyed it and recommend the show.

DW and I enjoyed the first season. I was starting to lose interest towards the end of the first season; DW was more invested (eye candy, maybe?). We are in season 2. I will watch the rest of 2.5 more seasons with her, because what else does a loving spouse do, but IMO the writing got lazy and the plot increasingly preposterous. But, if you can suspend disbelief, it's not bad.

Thanks! We are starting Season 2.

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:17 pm

Ratatouille - Disney Pixar animated movie about a rat who is interested in cooking. Had always wanted to see it but just never got around to it. Very good and funny.

prettybogle

Postby prettybogle » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:29 pm

Concussion
Great movie. Will Smith will probably get an Oscar for his acting in the movie.

miles monroe

Postby miles monroe » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:57 pm

the ridiculous 6.

i don't see any oscar nominations here.

canderson

Postby canderson » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:08 pm

Sisters has some very funny moments but generally is awful and often repulsive. Very disappointed Fey abd Poehler accepted that script for their big duet.

grok87

Postby grok87 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:34 pm

canderson wrote:Sisters has some very funny moments but generally is awful and often repulsive. Very disappointed Fey abd Poehler accepted that script for their big duet.

well they already co-starred together in Baby Mama
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

grok87

Postby grok87 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:34 pm

Hayden wrote:I saw Star Wars on IMAX in 3D. I recommend seeing it that way if it's available to you.

i saw it in regular 3-d and liked it
"...people always live for ever when there is any annuity to be paid them"- Jane Austen

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby nisiprius » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:01 pm

"Never Say Never Again." A 1983 James Bond film I missed (I've missed lots of them, actually). I missed this one because it wasn't part of the Broccoli and Saltzman series. There was some complicate legal-ownership issue about the story of Thunderball which gave one of the original writers the right to make their own film out of the same story, and they managed to get Sean Connery to play the role of James Bond again. It is fascinating and a little eerie to watch, because it is so weirdly like and at the same time so weirdly unlike the "real" James Bond films. And because Sean Connery at age 52 is so simultaneously believable and unbelievable as being irresistible to women, etc.

I borrowed it from the library and I'd only watched about 3/4 of it when it was due back, so I don't know how it turns out. :P
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Van

Postby Van » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Creed.

Good but not great. Maybe 3 out of 4 stars.

gkaplan

Postby gkaplan » Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:58 pm

I watched Lawrence of Arabia on Netflix over a two night span. (The film is over three hours long.) The 1962 film garnered seven Academy Awards, including best picture, best director, and best original score (Maurice Jarre). In addition, the film was nominated for numerous other Academy Awards, including best actor (O'Toole) and best supporting actor (Sharif). Netflix says this is the “restored version,” whatever that means. I saw this film when it first came out. At the time, I wasn't sure what the fuss was about. Fifty years later, my opinion hasn't changed that much. Fine film making, terrific cinematography, and wonderful acting, to be sure. In spite of all that, however, I just didn't find it all that compelling.

I then watched Woody Allen: A Documentary. This two-part 2011 documentary chronicles the career of Allen – from teen writer to Sid Caesar TV scribe, from standup comedian to award-winning writer-director averaging one film-per-year for more than forty years. With unprecedented access, Emmy-winning, Oscar-nominated filmmaker Robert Weide followed the notoriously private film legend over a year and a half. Weide explores Allen and his writing habits, casting, directing, and relationship with his actors first-hand. Interviews with these actors and with writing partners, family, and friends provide additional insight. The documentary is about three hours long and without a dull or uninteresting moment in it. Since his father lived to 100, and his mother lived to 96, I imagine Woody at 80 still has quite a few films left in him.
Gordon

jginseattle

Postby jginseattle » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:07 pm

The Hateful Eight. Underwhelming. There are a few good bits, but it's definitely sub par Tarantino.

vested1

Postby vested1 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:10 pm

Point Break. Nothing similar to the original other than the name. Little to no plot, just extreme sports, as you would expect.

d0gerz

Postby d0gerz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:18 pm

Sicario - as recommended upthread. Really good, dark crime thriller. Benicio del Toro menacing as always.

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:00 pm

jginseattle wrote:The Hateful Eight. Underwhelming. There are a few good bits, but it's definitely sub par Tarantino.

+1 I'm a big Tarantino fan but I'm starting to think he's lost his touch. Compare this sad effort and the penultimate effort Django to ..... any of his masterpieces like "Kill Bill 1 and 2", "Pulp Fiction", "Reservoir Dogs" ....

pezblanco

Postby pezblanco » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:02 pm

d0gerz wrote:Sicario - as recommended upthread. Really good, dark crime thriller. Benicio del Toro menacing as always.

OK but not particularly good. The female FBI agent stole the show with regard to the acting but del Toro held his own. Completely unbelievable plot ....

Seattlenative

Postby Seattlenative » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:10 am

Tonight's home cinema showing with my wife: Walt Disney's classic "Beauty and the Beast". :D

amateurnovice

Postby amateurnovice » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:55 pm

Everest (2015) Jason Clarke, Josh Brolin, Donnie Darko. Movie adapation of the 1997 book Into Thin Air about the May 1996 Mt. Everest disaster that saw eight people lose their lives to the mountain's harsh conditions. I felt the movie shortchanged the circumstances and environment of the mountain prior to the scenes where people began to die which I also felt left too much to be desired. Others might disagree. It was engaging, but I thought the story that focused on Rob Hall's (Jason Clarke) pregnant wife was too forced and hokey even if it may have happened in a manner similar to how they wrote it for the movie. Other accounts of the disaster have gotten notoriety for suggesting Into Thin Air sensationalized the drama and left out meaningful facts and events of the day. I tend to agree with that assessment if the movie is anything like the book. 2.5/5

Inside Out (2015) Leslie Knope, Phyllis Lapin-Vance, Kelly Kapoor, Stefan. Pixar flick about a girl's emotions as she moves away from her home town. The emotions of joy, anger, disgust, fear, and sadness are personified in her mind and work together to help her as she conforms to her new environment. It's one of the most honest and touching movies I've seen in years even if moments of it are a little convoluted. It's for and about kids, but adults will enjoy the sentiment it conjures. 4/5

clast

Postby clast » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:25 am

Straight Outta Compton
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsbWEF1Sju0

If you like rap music, especially if you listened to late 80s/early 90s rap like Eazy-E, NWA, etc, or are just interested in the history of the 80s West Coast rap scene, you'll probably like the movie.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”