What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Fallible
Posts: 5932
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Fallible » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:50 pm

telemark wrote:
Fallible wrote:"Inside Out," Pixar's new film

I like the idea, and the story is perfect for the medium, and parts of it were really fun. And yet, somehow, it didn't quite deliver on whatever I had imagined it was going to be. What kind of a story is it? I'm still not sure.


It's a beautiful and challenging idea, even ground-breaking for a movie, to show the mind at work, with the emotions of Joy and Sadness rightfully dominant and their interplay important. But something about the technical aspects of it all, the control console like a spaceship, and the artwork on the islands, I thought took away from the idea. Too much of some good things maybe.

You might be interested in a book on "Inside Out" - "Driven by Emotions,'" about five stories told rom the mind.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

User avatar
steve roy
Posts: 1403
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby steve roy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:07 pm

"The Night Before"

Two hours of mirthless incoherence, where none of the depicted human beings behave much like actual people who inhabit planet earth.

Outside of that, a new holiday classic!

User avatar
steve roy
Posts: 1403
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby steve roy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:13 pm

"Trumbo"

If you're into history and politics, this is for you. Dalton Trumbo was a high-flying Hollywood screenwriter who was a member of the Communist Party (USA) and ran afoul of the HUAC. He was imprisoned and black-listed, but it didn't stop him from earning a living.

Bryan Cranston does his usual impeccable job. You will recognize many elements from our own times as you watch it. "History doesn't repeat itself, but it rhymes."

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11267
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby abuss368 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:58 pm

We started the third season of Orange is the New Black on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 11662
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Toons » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:09 pm

Return To Sender :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
digarei
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby digarei » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:36 pm

Duplicate post
Last edited by digarei on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the world icon ⚽ inside the contact box under my user info/avatar.

User avatar
digarei
Posts: 560
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:41 am
Location: Sacramento
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby digarei » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:37 pm

steve roy wrote:"The Night Before"

Two hours of mirthless incoherence, where none of the depicted human beings behave much like actual people who inhabit planet earth.

Outside of that, a new holiday classic!

I'm not sure why you would select this film to watch—certainly not based on the critical reception of the director's prior offerings—but I love your concise review. I can't wait to use the phrase "mirthless incoherence" ... in some other appropriate context.

Looking for a holiday classic? Only one holds up for me: Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge (1951) ["A Christmas Carol"], starring the inimitable Alastair Sim.
Connect with Bogleheads in Northern California! Click the world icon ⚽ inside the contact box under my user info/avatar.

User avatar
market timer
Posts: 5763
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby market timer » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:47 am

"The Lobster" - reminds me of the theater of the absurd that I had to read in school. Colin Farrell has to find a girlfriend in 45 days or turn into a lobster. It's a world with its own peculiar logic and the humor is all deadpan. Personally, I really enjoy this type of film, but it is not for everyone. This is the most interesting film I've seen so far this year.

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4187
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby joe8d » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:55 pm

Looking for a holiday classic? Only one holds up for me: Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge (1951) ["A Christmas Carol"], starring the inimitable Alastair Sim.


Could not agree more :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
All the Best, | Joe

Fallible
Posts: 5932
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Fallible » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:30 pm

joe8d wrote:
Looking for a holiday classic? Only one holds up for me: Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge (1951) ["A Christmas Carol"], starring the inimitable Alastair Sim.


Could not agree more :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup


Also liked the '51 version and Sim, but a '38 version is also quite good, with Scrooge played by Reginald Owen.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

gkaplan
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby gkaplan » Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:56 pm

Holiday classics? I wouldn't call these "classics," in the sense that they are not fifty years old or so, but Love Actually and, dare I say, Home Alone.


(Edited for clarity.)
Last edited by gkaplan on Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gordon

User avatar
steve roy
Posts: 1403
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby steve roy » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:29 pm

digarei wrote:
steve roy wrote:"The Night Before"

Two hours of mirthless incoherence, where none of the depicted human beings behave much like actual people who inhabit planet earth.

Outside of that, a new holiday classic!

I'm not sure why you would select this film to watch—certainly not based on the critical reception of the director's prior offerings—but I love your concise review. I can't wait to use the phrase "mirthless incoherence" ... in some other appropriate context.

Looking for a holiday classic? Only one holds up for me: Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge (1951) ["A Christmas Carol"], starring the inimitable Alastair Sim.


Why did I watch this? I got suckered. I was looking for something mildly diverting, at least mildly funny. Rotten Tomatoes had it at 62% "fresh" so I thought "How bad can it be?"

I found out pretty quickly, like within fifteen minutes. But then I made a serious mistake telling myself "Maybe it will get better."

It didn't.

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 539
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Nicolas » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:39 pm

Fallible wrote:
joe8d wrote:
Looking for a holiday classic? Only one holds up for me: Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge (1951) ["A Christmas Carol"], starring the inimitable Alastair Sim.


Could not agree more :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup


Also liked the '51 version and Sim, but a '38 version is also quite good, with Scrooge played by Reginald Owen.


I like the Geo. C. Scott version from 1984. In fact, we bought a copy.
Ad astra per aspera.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 1917
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby telemark » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:23 am

steve roy wrote:
digarei wrote:
steve roy wrote:"The Night Before"

Two hours of mirthless incoherence, where none of the depicted human beings behave much like actual people who inhabit planet earth.

Outside of that, a new holiday classic!

I'm not sure why you would select this film to watch—certainly not based on the critical reception of the director's prior offerings—but I love your concise review. I can't wait to use the phrase "mirthless incoherence" ... in some other appropriate context.

Looking for a holiday classic? Only one holds up for me: Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge (1951) ["A Christmas Carol"], starring the inimitable Alastair Sim.


Why did I watch this? I got suckered. I was looking for something mildly diverting, at least mildly funny. Rotten Tomatoes had it at 62% "fresh" so I thought "How bad can it be?"

I found out pretty quickly, like within fifteen minutes. But then I made a serious mistake telling myself "Maybe it will get better."

It didn't.

Ah yes, the sunk cost fallacy. :oops:

Fallible
Posts: 5932
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Fallible » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:21 am

Nicolas wrote:
Fallible wrote:
joe8d wrote:
Looking for a holiday classic? Only one holds up for me: Brian Desmond Hurst's Scrooge (1951) ["A Christmas Carol"], starring the inimitable Alastair Sim.


Could not agree more :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup


Also liked the '51 version and Sim, but a '38 version is also quite good, with Scrooge played by Reginald Owen.


I like the Geo. C. Scott version from 1984. In fact, we bought a copy.


I'm glad you mentioned it. I saw it many years ago and liked Scott very much, so I'll plan to watch it again.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

denismurf
Posts: 532
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:29 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby denismurf » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:34 am

I'm considering The Good Dinosaur as something an adult might like.

Anybody see it?

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 38202
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby LadyGeek » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:17 pm

^^^Not quite related, but I just watched Jurassic World. I knew what was going to happen, but it was still entertaining. The plot isn't exactly deep, but there were some unexpected twists to keep you interested.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11267
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby abuss368 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:37 pm

We started "Prison Break" series on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

User avatar
market timer
Posts: 5763
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:42 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby market timer » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:52 pm

"Submarine" (2010) - British coming-of-age comedy about an alienated high school kid. Surprisingly good film, with a soundtrack from the Arctic Monkeys. Recommended to people who liked "Rushmore" (1998).
Last edited by market timer on Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Van
Posts: 574
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:24 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Van » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:55 pm

Spotlight. Very good. Will appeal to all secular logical thinkers.

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:10 am

The Silver Lining Playbook. 2012. +++. Comedydrama, chick flick with Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawerence, and De Niro. A Weinstein production. Made 5x production cost.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:13 am

LadyGeek wrote:^^^Not quite related, but I just watched Jurassic World. I knew what was going to happen, but it was still entertaining. The plot isn't exactly deep, but there were some unexpected twists to keep you interested.

Plot? Humans are smarter than lizards. But only by a scream.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

wilson08
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby wilson08 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:41 am

Suffragette

A window on early 20th century British society in which
women were not only denied the right to vote but
subjected to brutal social/workplace conditions with
few or no rights or recourse regarding sexual harassment
and exploitation.
This is not a "propaganda" movie but in my view a honest
look at an unjust era and the courage and perseverance
summoned to bring change to an entrenched social system
prevalent at the time.
Among an excellent cast Carey Mulligan particularly stands
out with superb acting.

Wilson

Barefootgirl
Posts: 2099
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Barefootgirl » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Spectre, the most recent James Bond film.

Although I see the Bond films trending away from plot and moving toward special effects (not drastically so, but noticeable IMO), Daniel Craig is just so easy on the eyes.

BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:39 pm

Need light fare. Romantic for the mood.
Empty nest syndrome compounded by wife not a movie person. Last theater movie together was on a date, mid 70s. :annoyed
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 9950
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby HomerJ » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:32 am

itstoomuch wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:^^^Not quite related, but I just watched Jurassic World. I knew what was going to happen, but it was still entertaining. The plot isn't exactly deep, but there were some unexpected twists to keep you interested.

Plot? Humans are smarter than lizards. But only by a scream.


No, that's the problem with the Jurassic World movies... The humans are all idiots, and are only saved by luck. These movies could be awesome if humans actually used their superior brains to defeat the dinosaurs.

I LOVE the visual effects of dinosaurs, but it's very hard for me to get past how stupid the people in these movies are.

User avatar
HomerJ
Posts: 9950
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:50 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby HomerJ » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:38 am

kaudrey wrote:
blacktupelo wrote:The Martian. Good rendition of the book and the Mars scenery was excellent. Pretty good science and engineering though I doubt that the Earth-Mars transport would provide as much room as shown for the crew. More space = more material = more fuel needed. Compare to what the ISS interior spaces look like for more realistic situation.

If China and the USA and Europe could cooperate Mars exploration might become a reality but right now Congress has decided NASA can't do any cooperation with China.


I saw this over the weekend, too. I very much enjoyed it (I haven't read the book).

My DH recapped it as "Castaway on Mars". :D


The book is even better. Probably the best book I've read this year... I couldn't put it down.

stoptothink
Posts: 3459
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby stoptothink » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:42 am

HomerJ wrote:
itstoomuch wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:^^^Not quite related, but I just watched Jurassic World. I knew what was going to happen, but it was still entertaining. The plot isn't exactly deep, but there were some unexpected twists to keep you interested.

Plot? Humans are smarter than lizards. But only by a scream.


No, that's the problem with the Jurassic World movies... The humans are all idiots, and are only saved by luck. These movies could be awesome if humans actually used their superior brains to defeat the dinosaurs.

I LOVE the visual effects of dinosaurs, but it's very hard for me to get past how stupid the people in these movies are.


I watched Jurassic World this past weekend - you took the words right out of my mouth. The ending was terrible.

User avatar
deanbrew
Posts: 1099
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:05 pm
Location: The Keystone State

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby deanbrew » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:57 am

HomerJ wrote:
kaudrey wrote:
blacktupelo wrote:The Martian. Good rendition of the book and the Mars scenery was excellent. Pretty good science and engineering though I doubt that the Earth-Mars transport would provide as much room as shown for the crew. More space = more material = more fuel needed. Compare to what the ISS interior spaces look like for more realistic situation.


I saw this over the weekend, too. I very much enjoyed it (I haven't read the book).

My DH recapped it as "Castaway on Mars". :D


The book is even better. Probably the best book I've read this year... I couldn't put it down.



I also liked the book a lot. I read the book before watching the movie, and thought the movie suffered considerably in comparison. I won't give away any spoilers, but there was a lot more detail and drama and backstories in the book, as well as a different (better and more believable) ending. Frankly, I was a bit disappointed in the movie after reading the book.

My son, on the other hand, saw the movie first, and then read the book. He came home and raved about the movie. But once he started reading the book, he was hooked and couldn't put it down. Afterwards, he agreed that the book was much better than the movie. I suppose the movie stands on its own if you haven't read the book as a reference point, but in this instance, I would watch the movie first, and read the book second.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

User avatar
bengal22
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 6:20 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby bengal22 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:35 pm

gkaplan wrote:Holiday classics? I wouldn't call these "classics," in the sense that they are not fifty years old or so, but Love Actually and, dare I say, Home Alone.


(Edited for clarity.)


Love Actually - where we get to see what Rick did before the zombie apocalypse.

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:49 pm

Chef 2014. Netflix.
We are foodies. Light comedy drama. A chef rediscover his family, his roots and reasons. Made money over costs.
3.5/5.0
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

Flashes1
Posts: 788
Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 7:43 am

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Flashes1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:10 pm

Just saw Sideways last night. I can't believe I waited this long....a classic.

wilson08
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby wilson08 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:42 pm

Flashes1 wrote:Just saw Sideways last night. I can't believe I waited this long....a classic.



Great performance by Paul Giamatti, one of
his best roles to date.

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:36 am

Mockingjay part2,. 2.5/5. Like part 1, better.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:49 am

white God, Netflix. 2014. A Dog story. A strawdog type. I was hoping for Beetoven. :annoyed
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

User avatar
riptide
Posts: 675
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:38 pm
Location: Coastal, South Carolina

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby riptide » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:27 pm

A walk among the Tombstones. Excellent, with a great story about an recovering alcoholic police officer. The 12 steps are shown clearly in a suspense movie.
Brokerage account 65/35 | VG total Market 35% | VG total Intl 12% | VG small cap value 12% | VG Reit index 6% | VG Total Bond 35% | TSP Account 75/25 | C Fund 45%, S 15%, I 15%, G 25% | EE Bonds = Emergency Fund

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:34 am

Leap Year 2010..Amy Adams. A near 30s girl who thinks she needs to nail it down but realizes the one she's with is not the one. Not recommended for long dating or unmarried couples because of the enormous pressure to ask the !Question?. :annoyed
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

jginseattle
Posts: 656
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:33 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby jginseattle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:08 pm

Legend. Tom Hardy gives a brilliant dual performance as the Kray brothers in this violent gangster film. Good period detail.

Creed. Familiar and satisfying. Directed by Ryan Coogler who made the excellent Fruitvale Station. Very well done.

reggiesimpson
Posts: 1526
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby reggiesimpson » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:55 pm

No Escape.
Think of the attack on the Tunisian resort recently as a reality check.

wilson08
Posts: 321
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:37 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby wilson08 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:40 pm

Brooklyn

Delightful story of a young Irish girl who comes
to American in the early 1950's to start a new life
for herself. Homesickness and adjusting to a new
country are difficult but people enter into her
life that make profound changes in her circumstances
and outlook.
Captures the essence of the 1950's beautifully.


Wilson

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4187
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby joe8d » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:49 pm

wilson08 wrote:Brooklyn

Delightful story of a young Irish girl who comes
to American in the early 1950's to start a new life
for herself. Homesickness and adjusting to a new
country are difficult but people enter into her
life that make profound changes in her circumstances
and outlook.
Captures the essence of the 1950's beautifully.


Wilson


Read the book.
All the Best, | | Joe

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 38202
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:21 am

Mad Max - Fury Road. Nothing but action-packed chase scenes with a trite plot. If you just want to watch non-stop thriller action and don't have to think about anything, this is a good movie.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

User avatar
Munir
Posts: 2264
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Munir » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:53 am

"The Painted Veil"- a touching love story that includes charitable medical work in China long ago. Excellent acting by all the actors including Naomi Watts and Edward Norton. Won the Golden Globe for best screenplay.

Levett
Posts: 4102
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: upper Midwest

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby Levett » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:50 pm

That is a terrific movie, Munir. My wife and I have watched it both when it was at the cinema and at home.

Lev

amateurnovice
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:56 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby amateurnovice » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:54 pm

Christmas with the Kranks (2004) Tim Allen, Jamie Lee Curtis. This movie centers around a couple that wish to escape from the normal Christmas celebrations by going on a vacation. Instead, they're coaxed into staying home and doing the usual. Very boring, unfunny movie filled with punchlines that don't land ever. 1/5

Trading Places (1983) Dan Aykroyd, Eddie Murphy, Jamie Lee Curtis. Weird that I forgot this had Jamie Lee Curtis in it after just watching Christmas with the Kranks (or maybe my subconscious knew). Anyway, I haven't seen this whole movie since I was much younger. Some nudity, lots of foul language from Murphy mostly. Funny at times, other times it appeals to the audience that will pretend the scene is funny. The premise is more funny than the movie depicts it. 3/5

gkaplan
Posts: 6813
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby gkaplan » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:11 pm

I have watched the following two movies on Netflix the past two nights:

About a Boy stars Hugh Grant, Nicholas Hoult, Toni Collette, and Rachel Weisz, and is directed by Chris Weitz and Paul Weitz. Hugh Grant stars as Will, a rich, child-free and irresponsible Londoner in his thirties who, in search of available women, invents an imaginary son and starts attending single parent meetings. As a result of one of his liaisons, he meets Marcus (Hoult), an odd 12-year-old boy with problems at school. Gradually, Will and Marcus become friends, and as Will teaches Marcus how to be a cool kid, Marcus helps Will to finally grow up. The 2002 film is based on a novel by Nick Hornby. The movie is pretty good. Grant and Hoult have a nice thing going.

The Rape of Europa In addition to being some of the worst war criminals in history, Hitler and the Nazi regime were also among the most prolific art thieves. During World War II, the Third Reich ordered the destruction of thousands of pieces of art from "inferior" cultures and the theft of thousands more. This 2007 documentary explores the effects of the cultural destruction perpetrated by the Nazis across Europe and examines the ongoing struggle to recover and return the stolen art. It is based on the 1994 Lynn H. Nicholas book, which I read when it first came out.
Gordon

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:36 pm

Moonrise Kingdom , 2012. Light story about early teen love, quirky boy and girl, at the end of summer. The boy and girl acting was fine. Bruce Willis, Ed Norton, BillMurry, and Frances MacDormand were things comic reliefs. ###. :happy
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

itstoomuch
Posts: 4045
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby itstoomuch » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:45 pm

Seeking a friend for the end of the world, 2012. Steve Carell and Keira Knightley. A light stoiry developing when another meteror destoys Earth. Great for one night stands. :beer Wifey didnt understnd the story. :oops: ##//. :mrgreen:
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 863
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby htdrag11 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:47 pm

King Rat starring George Segal, written by James Clavell who was a POW during WWII in Singapore. James Fox played as George's only friend. It's Upstairs and Downstairs with a very bleak environment. I was glad to catch it though the film deserved a lot more recognition.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 11267
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Postby abuss368 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:15 pm

MacGyver on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: csm, danaht, FWFamily, Sleepy..., tigerdoc93, tup45678, Volkdancer, vtjon and 95 guests