What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Toons

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by Toons » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:10 pm

"White God"
Netflix
recommend :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

moshe

Post by moshe » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:19 pm

!2 years a slave. Meh. Could have been improved with narration.

Book was much better and more emotionally impacting.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams

tredd351

Post by tredd351 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:13 pm

The new MAD MAX movie. Wild and just great special effects.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:25 pm

Several nights ago on Netflix, I watched Broken, an excellent 2012 British coming-of-age drama.

http://www.netflix.com/search/eloise%2520la/person/30172767?jbv=70243239&jbp=0&jbr=0

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_%282012_film%29
Gordon

pezblanco

Post by pezblanco » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:42 pm

moshe wrote:!2 years a slave. Meh. Could have been improved with narration.

Book was much better and more emotionally impacting.

~Moshe

Agreed. That's almost always the case, isn't it? The book is better than the movie. An exception that comes to mind is The Godfather ... the book is a turgid pot boiler that was turned into a great movie.

slapstix

Post by slapstix » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:09 am

JDot wrote:Absolutely loved Ex Machina. Disclaimer: I like slightly weird and disturbing films. I think this one has enough mainstream appeal as well though.

+1

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:38 am

"Island at War" on Netflix. Very good.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Dave55

Post by Dave55 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:58 pm

"Mission Impossible - Rouge Nation"
Excellent Entertainment
Dave

theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:48 pm

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, newly available on Criterion Blu Ray. A very interesting film.

Very much in the vein of Jodorowsky's El Topo and The Holy Mountain, roughly contemporary to it.

I didn't know that LSD was still legal in Czechoslovakia in 1970 (but it was based on an earlier book, so that could be a moot point. It was legal in the US until 1966.)

Oh, you see it too? Whew!

I could also recommend Oliver Sacks' wonderful book "Hallucinations" as a companion piece, or a "reality check" (pun intended.)

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:12 pm

slapstix wrote:
JDot wrote:Absolutely loved Ex Machina. Disclaimer: I like slightly weird and disturbing films. I think this one has enough mainstream appeal as well though.

+1

Ex machina was very good
Fury- bad
Imitation game- pretty good

Mad max- had to be seen in theaters I think. It was awesome at the theatre that sells beer
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:05 am

I have watched several movies on Netflix in the last several nights.

Mostly Martha: Directed by Sandra Nettlebeck and starring Martina Gedeck, Maxime Foerste, and Sergio Castellitto. Martha (Gedeck) relies on her culinary skills as her primary means of communication. She lives for her work and presides with obsessive care over her spotless, precise kitchen.
When a fateful accident leaves Lina (Foerste), her 8-year-old niece, in her care, Martha's orderly life begins to come undone. When the owner is consequently forced to bring in help, Martha and the new charming and carefree Italian chef (Castellitto) are instantly at odds. Made in 2002, this nicely done German romantic drama will remind many of Kramer vs. Kramer. It was remade into a 2007 American film, No Reservations, starring Catherine Zeta-Jones. I haven't watched the American film, but I doubt if it's as good as the original.

Up in the Air: Directed by Jason Reitman and starring George Clooney, Vera Farmiga, and Anna Kendrick. An idea from a young, new co-worker (Kendrick) would put an end to the constant travel of corporate downsizer Ryan Bingham (Clooney). Bingham takes her on a tour to demonstrate the importance of face-to-face meetings with those they must fire. While mentoring his colleague, he arranges hookups with another frequent-flier (Farmiga), and his developing feelings for the woman prompt him to see others in a new light. Terrific performances by the three leads.

Jane Eyre: Directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga and starring Mia Wasikowska, Michael Fassbender, Jamie Bell, and Judi Dench. Beautiful scenery and terrific performances by everyone, particularly Wasikowska. This 2011 movie is considered by many as the best screen adaption of the Charlotte Brontë novel.

Above and Beyond: A fascinating little-known historical tale is recounted in Roberta Grossman's documentary about Jewish-American fighter pilots who volunteered to fight for Israel in its 1948 War of Independence. The movie features a combination of archival and recreated footage. The film's heart is the interviews with the pilots themselves who recall their exploits with infectious bravado. One, describing how the ramshackle airplanes smuggled into the region were "flying Molotov Cocktails," recalls his 11 ½ hour solo flight over water to get there. They recount their clandestine recruitment and secret training in such places as Panama, Italy and Czechoslovakia. "I was risking my citizenship and possibly jail time," says Gideon Lichtman. One such figure who suffered the consequences was Al Schwimmer, who had served for the U.S. Air Transport Command during the war and who was responsible for smuggling about thirty surplus planes to Israel. He was later indicted for violating the U.S. Neutrality Act and lost his citizenship, relocating to Israel where he started an aircraft company. He was pardoned in 2001 by President Bill Clinton. Among those interviewed, surprisingly enough, is actor Paul Reubens, talking about his father, the late Milton Rubenfeld, who flew on a critical mission against the Iraqi Army. Produced by Nancy Spielberg (Steven's sister), Above and Beyond pays homage to these men who helped create the Israeli Air Force and ensured the survival of the burgeoning nation. (The above summary is compiled from a review in the Hollywood Reporter of 01/15/2015.)
Gordon

Rattlesnake

Post by Rattlesnake » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:40 am

In Their Own Words on PBS: Muhammed Ali...
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:31 am

8 Action Movies, Echo Bridge Home Entertainment. The Blu-ray cover has a picture of Steven Seagal, so I thought it was 8 Steven Seagall movies. Nope. Just the first one, "Ruslan".

It's a collection of odd-ball B-grade action movies, but they're produced well and entertaining.

Ruslan and Road of No Return were OK.

I just watched Silver Hawk. This is a Chinese film made in English (except for a few scenes). After watching a few minutes, it became clear that this was a mimic of Batman - but with a female lead role. If you've ever watched the Batman TV series, it's a creative interpretation. I'd call it action-packed light entertainment - a movie you'd watch to chill out and don't have to think too much.

My husband thought it was "meh".
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:36 am

The Short Game on Netflix. A documentary about the top 7 and 8 year old best in the world golfers who compete each year at Pinehurst in North Carolina. Really good.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

rixer

Post by rixer » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:47 am

The Age of Adaline.
Not the kind of movie I'd pick but the wife rented it and it was very good.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:43 pm

rixer wrote:The Age of Adaline.
Not the kind of movie I'd pick but the wife rented it and it was very good.

thats funny, i just logged on to add this.

watched it last nite and enjoyed it. about a 29 y/o female who stops aging. 7.3/10 on imdb and that seems about right.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:10 pm

Not a movie, but a new series on Starz, Blunt Talk, starring Patrick Stewart of ST-NG, X-Men, and Shakespeare on stage and much more. He's a Brit talk show host in Los Angeles with idiosyncrasies on and off stage, with a back story of the Falkland War thrown in. My wife hated it. I thought it was quite good and will watch more. If you do catch the first episode, watch for his contorted face as he responds to a fan in a bar. It is NSF in language, situations, brief nudity, etc.

SGM

Post by SGM » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:43 pm

Not yet seen but looking forward to seeing "Bridge of Spies." Tom Hanks stars as the attorney who defends Rudolph Abel and whose idea it was to make the exchange U-2 pilot Francis Gary Powers.

I am looking forward to seeing if the arrest of Rudolph Abel is similar to how I heard it happen from former special agent Ed Gamber. I have also reviewed an interesting oral history which discusses the pursuit and special agent Gamber's thoughts about the spy given in 2009. http://www.nleomf.org/assets/pdfs/nlem/ ... erview.pdf

Special agent Gamber was one of our heroes growing up. DW and I will be seeing the film with Ed's son when it opens on around October 18th.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:26 pm

This afternoon, my brother, his wife, and I saw Phoenix at a local theater. Phoenix is a German drama directed by Christian Petzold and starring Nina Hoss, Nina Kunzendorf, and Ronald Zehrfeld. Nelly (Hoss), a German-Jewish nightclub singer, has survived a concentration camp, but with her face disfigured by a bullet wound. After undergoing reconstructive surgery, Nelly emerges with a new face, one similar but different enough that her former husband, Johnny (Zehrfeld), doesn't recognize her. Rather than reveal herself, Nelly walks into a dangerous game of duplicity and disguise as she tries to figure out if the man she loves may have been the one who betrayed her to the Nazis.

The movie has received excellent reviews, but my brother and his wife thought it was implausible. They couldn't believe that the husband wouldn't recognize his wife, even with her disfigured face, because she still would have the mannerisms, voice, and so on that he would have remembered. I guess I was able to suspend belief and overlook the apparent implausibility and just enjoy the movie for what it was.
Gordon

seeshells

Post by seeshells » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:28 pm

"FOOD MATTERS" by Gerson & Rogers, "you are what you eat" a self-for-filling catchphrase. Gerson's body healing mechanisms are discussed extensively. I do eat for fuel*, little else. I'd suggest people discharged from a hospital are more malnourished than those going into a hospital, knowing hospital food. I've developed additional skepticism of the USAs healthcare & food industry.

geekpryde

Post by geekpryde » Mon Sep 14, 2015 8:19 am

Saw Cinderella (2015) last night with wife and kids and that is was FANTASTIC!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1661199/

Highly recommended.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:05 am

Upstream Color (2013). Shane Carruth. Written, directed, and starring Carruth who also did Primer (2004). Nearly lacking narrative, all but cerebral in story-telling. Compelling but ethereal. Requires full attention but in the end worth it. Beautiful film. 4.5/5

Beginners (2010). Ewan McGregor, Christopher Plummer. Easy-going romantic-drama about a son learning a secret of his father's late in life that serves to answer questions regarding his past and helps him through a new love interest. 4/5

oc4boxer

Post by oc4boxer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:27 am

I watched Mad Max: Fury Road. I didn't like it. 30 minute long car chases do nothing for me.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:52 pm

"The High and the Mighty" (1954). The plot (an airplane about to crash) was mildly entertaining, but I was fascinated with the flying customs and behaviors a half a century ago.
- A guy had a gun and wanted to kill another guy. The other passengers convinced him that it was a bad idea, and so he just put his gun back into his pocket.
- There was a single stewardess (now she would be called a flight attendant) who was serving five male crew and all passengers. She was wearing 5-inch heels throughout a very long flight.
- At some point it was necessary to throw extra weight from the plane. A second pilot has opened the airplane door (in flight!) and asked a passenger to hold him so that he would not fall out.
- People were smoking in the cabin and the cockpit.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Birdman - quite a disappointment after the hype

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:33 pm

slapstix wrote:

+1

Saw it last night and would NOT recommend it.
All the Best, | Joe

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:30 pm

new2bogle wrote:Birdman - quite a disappointment after the hype

I have to agree with that assessment

rikki

Post by rikki » Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:35 pm

In theaters: Meru

It is a 90 minute documentary about 3 men obsessed with scaling the "shark's fin" like mountain of that name in the Himalyas. They failed twice in 2003 and 2008 before their third attempt in 2011. The failed attempts were as riveting as their third climb. All 3 climbers had very interesting (a bit horrifying) back stories which emerged bit by bit. Cinematography (amazing) was done by the climbers (as was explained by the documentary, Meru is a mountain without sherpas so everything must be carried by each climber).

Fascinating and gripping. Great score.

amateurnovice

Post by amateurnovice » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:19 am

JonnyDVM wrote:

What hype? I think the awards were justified, maybe Boyhood deserved Best Picture. Edward Norton was hilarious, Naomi Watts was great, and Keaton was perfect. What were you expecting it to be?

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:31 am

War Room best movie to come out ofHollywood in a long time!
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:14 pm

love & mercy which is now at redbox. this is the movie about brian wilson of the beach boys. i really liked the movie, but i grew up with the beach boys and really like their music. a must watch for fans, probably not so much if you're not. 7.6/10 on imdb

theunknowntech

Post by theunknowntech » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:36 pm

amateurnovice wrote:
JonnyDVM wrote:

What hype? I think the awards were justified, maybe Boyhood deserved Best Picture. Edward Norton was hilarious, Naomi Watts was great, and Keaton was perfect. What were you expecting it to be?

For anybody who has ever held a camera, this movie was an absolute tour de force. I would love to have been a fly on the wall during many of those shots, and that's the only way you could have been in on it. (There was no room otherwise.) Technically amazing.

Shades of the opening sequence from Orson Welles' 'Touch of Evil', which if you haven't seen it is worth a look. Certain people are always fighting the last battle. Generals, mechanics, directors, and investors.
Last edited by theunknowntech on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 pm

"Hostage" with Bruce Willis on Netflix.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:15 am

"lee daniels - the butler" and i was disappointed in it. i had the impression that it was going to be the story of a butler who served 7 presidents, the relationships he forged with them, and the history he saw being made up close and personal. instead, it was story of a butler who observed the history of civil rights during his life. kinda like when ya turn on the tv to watch the baseball game but its rained out and they're showing andy griffith reruns instead. andy griffith is great but not what you were expecting. perhaps my impression would be different if i knew what i about to watch. oh well, had a boatload of stars in it.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:02 pm

Black Mass. The portrait of a monster. The entire cast is excellent, but this is a very grim true crime story.

Everest. Great climbing scenes highlight this true adventure story.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:38 pm

i just got back from black mass myself. good movie. i was somewhat aware of the history of whitey bulgar from when he was captured a couple years ago, but this movie really expanded my knowledge. 8.2/10 on imdb.

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:46 pm

"Terms and Conditions" on Netflix citing how 4th amendment protections are gone via a third party loophole.
Last edited by snowshoes on Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snyder66

Post by snyder66 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:37 am

Cowspiracy. Wow! I must watch for anyone who cares about our planet.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:47 pm

Caught on Netflix:

Remembrance (2011). Original title: Die verlorene Zeit.

A couple escapes from a concentration camp in 1944. Thirty two years later the woman, living in NYC, discovers that the man she believes died in the aftermath of the war may still be alive in Poland.

As the cliche goes...*based on* a true story.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_%282011_film%29

Highly recommended.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:58 pm

Just caught Back to the Future Part II.

Have seen it several times already. Evey time, it surprises me how good all the BTF movies (especially I and II).

There are a few unintentionally funny things in the the 2015 scenes:
  • People running to a phone booth to make an urgent phone call.
  • Everyone watching small-screen, 4:3 CRT TVs, despite there being gigantic moving 3D images projected into the middle of the air over the town square!
  • And one that was supposed to be funny, but was funny not in the way intended: A new car with $39,999 price tag.
These movies are very entertaining and the convoluted time-travel plot is used to build some interesting tension. I have read a few analyses that go onto great detail about the overall consistency and integrity of the plot with respect to the time-travel paradoxes and how the movie deals with them. This movie is fun on several levels, including the excellent acting by all involved. Many of the actors need to play the same person on various alternate time-lines and give them different personalities on each. Jobs well-done!

MINOR SPOILER (select with mouse to see):
Each of the first two movies ends with a bit of a cliff-hanger leading into its sequel. My favorite is the end of the first. Much of the first involved the difficulties of getting power to the DeLorean. At the end, Doc comes crashing back from 2015 to 1985 and refuels by dumping household garbage into a "Mr. Fusion" machine (much like a Mr. Coffee). If things were that easy in he first movie it would have been a short movie! The cliff-hanger part is where Marty asks what the problem is "Do we (Marty and his girlfriend) turn into a couple of assholes in 2015?" Doc says "Oh. you're OK but your kids are a mess!"
END OF SPOILER
Listen very carefully. I shall say this only once.

a

Post by a » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:21 pm

I never noticed that. That is very interesting. (Regarding
the thing about how the first movie ends being somewhat
ironic.)

nbseer

Post by nbseer » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:50 pm

"Everest". Dramatic recreation of one of the deadliest climbs ever on Mt. Everest, happened in 1996. Eight climbers died caught in a blizzard. Jon Krakauer was on that climb and wrote 'Into Thin Air" based on the tragedy. Film stayed true to the events without "hollywood-izing" it up.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:27 pm

Yeah, it was pretty good, but not as good as Boyhood. Every time I re-watch Boyhood, I'm blown away.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:49 pm

Scorch Trials .. entertaining enough. Black Mass is next.

market timer

Post by market timer » Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:12 pm

Pawn Sacrifice, a film about Bobby Fischer's 1972 match against Spassky. I thought Tobey Maguire was a bad casting choice for the role of Fischer. Nicholas Cage would have been a better choice, though maybe he's too old now. Decent movie for chess fans.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:29 pm

"Keith Richards: Under the Influence"
8-)

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:40 pm

Netflix : Divorce corp. Biggest reason for divorce is marriage ! Times change.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:14 pm

Hart's War on Netflix.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 pm

Just watched Saint Vincent. Better than I had anticipated based on somewhat mixed reviews. Found it worth watching.

Hypersion

Post by Hypersion » Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:21 am

miles monroe wrote:"lee daniels - the butler" and i was disappointed in it. i had the impression that it was going to be the story of a butler who served 7 presidents, the relationships he forged with them, and the history he saw being made up close and personal. instead, it was story of a butler who observed the history of civil rights during his life. kinda like when ya turn on the tv to watch the baseball game but its rained out and they're showing andy griffith reruns instead. andy griffith is great but not what you were expecting. perhaps my impression would be different if i knew what i about to watch. oh well, had a boatload of stars in it.

I agree, considering the cast and the hype we got a lifetime movie of the week or something i would watch in civic class about the civil right movement. What was even more jarring is I watched "Malcom X" the next weekend. "Malcom X" aged very well and still feels like a modern movie and is the best civil right movie ever made.