What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jmoroney

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by jmoroney »

Last night we watched Lone Survivor. It was outstanding. It was a graphic movie based on a true story about four soldiers in Afghanistan. If you do not want to see how devastating war is, do not watch it. It was ON DEMAND so it was free to us.
Lon

Post by Lon »

Just saw "Unbroken" Amazingly true story of survival but I enjoyed the book more. The scenes in the ocean and prisoner of war camp drug on and were burdensome.

Watched the controversial "The Interview on You Tube last night and found it BLAGH. Mel Brooks should have done the film.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I've been watching quite a bit on Netflix during the holidays. Last night I noticed that Heart and Souls (with Robert Downey Jr) would be disappearing in the new year, so I watched it. Re-watched, actually. A fun film with lots of good actors. Shows off Downey's talents.

Also, the other day I watched Starbuck, a French-Canadian film about a 40-something slacker who discovers that he has fathered hundreds of kids as a result of his youthful income-producing activity at a local clinic. I think there is a US film with a similar plot. Don't know about that one, but this French-language one is good.

Also, not on Netflix, Bride and Prejudice, a Bollywood-style musical based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. A lot of fun.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Foxcatcher. It's very good, but it may be too deliberately paced for some.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Based on recommendations in this thread we have watched:

Short Term 12
Nebraska
The Babadook

All 3 were really good and I'd recommend them. Much better than the fare available at the local theater for the past year.

Tonight we're going to watch Boyhood and tomorrow night The Skeleton Twins.
Macmungo

Post by Macmungo »

Earlier this week we watched "The Grand Budapest Hotel". A bit arch and 15 minutes too long but an unexpected pleasure. When I was young I could not bear the Austrian writer Stefan Zweig. on whose material about pre-World War II Central Europe the film is based, but director Wes Anderson has made at least a cashmere purse out of Zweig's unlikely material. And last week we saw "Possession", a film based on A.S.Byatt's novel of the same name. The book is overly clever -- stories within stories, swatches of bad poetry written by a central character, and so on. I got halfway through it an gave up. But I noticed that it been made into film, with a script written by Byatt. So we decided, Why not? The film turned out to be a fluid delight, with none of the clanking machinery that put me off the book. (It's about two contemporary scholars who discover one another while uncovering surprises about a starchy Victorian writer who as their researches progress is revealed as anything but starchy.)
Last edited by Macmungo on Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

GerryL wrote:I've been watching quite a bit on Netflix during the holidays. Last night I noticed that Heart and Souls (with Robert Downey Jr) would be disappearing in the new year, so I watched it. Re-watched, actually. A fun film with lots of good actors. Shows off Downey's talents.

Also, the other day I watched Starbuck, a French-Canadian film about a 40-something slacker who discovers that he has fathered hundreds of kids as a result of his youthful income-producing activity at a local clinic. I think there is a US film with a similar plot. Don't know about that one, but this French-language one is good.

Also, not on Netflix, Bride and Prejudice, a Bollywood-style musical based on Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. A lot of fun.

How does one notice that a movie will be disappearing on Netflix (or on Amazon Instant Video, for that matter)?
Gordon
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

gkaplan wrote:
GerryL wrote:I've been watching quite a bit on Netflix during the holidays. Last night I noticed that Heart and Souls (with Robert Downey Jr) would be disappearing in the new year, so I watched it. Re-watched, actually. A fun film with lots of good actors. Shows off Downey's talents.

How does one notice that a movie will be disappearing on Netflix (or on Amazon Instant Video, for that matter)?
There are 3 ways to know [edit: on Netflix. No idea about other services]:
1) and 2) If you have a title on your list of movies, you can see that it is scheduled to be removed by either mousing over the title (the goodbye date will show up near the bottom of the pop-up window) or looking at your selected movies in 'list' format (you can scan down the list and see if any are flagged to go away). Scanning a list is obviously more efficient than mousing over everything you may have selected.
3) The middle of each month I do a quick search of the news (e.g., news.google.com) for news about what is coming and going in the coming month. Not all disappearances with show up in the news articles, but popular and well-known films are likely to be called out.

There used to be some websites that had this info, but Netflix cut off their access to the database.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Watched Unbroken today. It was OK but would have been hard to follow if I had not read the book. I'm sure it was hard to try to squeeze that much story into 2 hours...
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Snowpiercer. I you can make it past the first 30 minutes, you may as well watch the whole thing. This is a standard post-apocalyptic survival plot, except it takes place on a train.

I don't understand why this movie got such good ratings; perhaps it was for the quality of the directing and production. It certainly didn't get any awards for plot-line or dialog.

My impression is that this movie has hints of Quentin Tarantino's style, as there are a lot of subtle inferences and symbology embedded into the scenes. The director made the movie tolerable and kept my interest.

Recommendation: If you have friends or relatives that you want to get rid of, invite them over to watch the movie. You'll never see them again (or at least for a long time).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Watched 'The Gambler'. May have been the worst movie I have ever watched. I would try and summarize it for you but the trauma of recalling the experience would be too great.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

Chan_va wrote:Watched 'The Gambler'. May have been the worst movie I have ever watched. I would try and summarize it for you but the trauma of recalling the experience would be too great.
While you're trying to recover watch Dumb and Dumber To... It is SO bad.....
health teacher

Post by health teacher »

LadyGeek wrote:Snowpiercer.

I just watched this last night. It was good enough to hold my attention at 11:30 PM.
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

An oldie but goodie Ill Met By Moonlight with Dirk Bogard. This is the story of two British commandos capture of a German general on Crete during WW2
Great!
Marty
chaz

Post by chaz »

Chan_va wrote:Watched 'The Gambler'. May have been the worst movie I have ever watched. I would try and summarize it for you but the trauma of recalling the experience would be too great.
Glad for the review - I'll skip it now.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
LynnC

Re: What Movie Have You [Recently] Watched?

Post by LynnC »

The529guy wrote:Her. Weird, but recommended.
Tried "HER" last night and had to turn it off about 45 minutes into it. I found it be really depressing and VERY weird.

Switched over to "The Heat" with Mellisa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock. Always good for a laugh, but beware the language, if easily offended.
Howard Donnelly

Post by Howard Donnelly »

+1. I walked out after an hour.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I saw Unbroken. I also read the book.

I thought the movie was very well done, and well-directed. I was thankful the violence was kept at a PG-13 level. I highly recommend it.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

I saw the Grand Budapest Hotel last night. Very offbeat film from the director of Rushmore. One of the strongest casts I have ever seen in any movie. It's a good rent, and is worth watching if you like films like Rushmore and Napoleon Dynamite.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
peppers

Post by peppers »

Mockingjay Part 1

We had some of the grandchildren spend a few days with us and they wanted to see it. The theater had the surround sound and vibrating seats to get a feel for the explosions in the movie. I wasn't aware of this and my grandson explained it all to me. Grandpa doesn't get out much.

The story line continues with the rebellion against the evil empire. At times, I thought I was watching an updated version of Star Wars.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Kiter

Post by Kiter »

Last night the 1954 made Robinson Caruso , at Christmas ..Rare Exports ,truly a twisted xmas. tale
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

K2 on Netflix. Crazy mountain climbing!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I saw Rachel Getting Married on Netflix last night. I never got a chance to see it when it first came out. Directed in an improvisational style by Jonathan Demme, the whole cast was good. The two leads, Anne Hathaway and Rosemary DeWitt, were particularly good.
Gordon
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

jginseattle wrote:Foxcatcher. It's very good, but it may be too deliberately paced for some.
Agree, and I thought it was really good too.
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Wife and I saw The Imitation Game last night. It is about Alan Turing and code breakers during WWII. We thought it was very good.
TradingPlaces

Post by TradingPlaces »

I vote for locking this thread. This has absolutely nothing about investing, and it can add absolutely nothing to this forum.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

We watched Nightcrawler tonight. It was well acted and had a pretty good creep factor.

If you like dark and creepy you'd enjoy this one.
camptalcott

Post by camptalcott »

TradingPlaces wrote:I vote for locking this thread. This has absolutely nothing about investing, and it can add absolutely nothing to this forum.
Jeez

I took kids to see the hobbit part 3.

Movie ticket prices can really kill a budget. (There, now its related to personal consumer issues)
"He who dies with the most toys is still, nonetheless dead"
poker27

Post by poker27 »

TradingPlaces wrote:I vote for locking this thread. This has absolutely nothing about investing, and it can add absolutely nothing to this forum.
Then its a good thing this is posted in the 'personal issues' index.

I've been going redbox and Netflix crazy lately since I've had a few days off and have been sick.

22 Jump Street- I couldnt handle it. I didnt think much of the first one, so not sure why I even tried to like this one.

When the game stands still- Decent football movie, taken from a different light. Happy I watched it, but doesnt compare to some of the better football movies.

If I stay- Decent, sad, and a little bit different. I think all ages can appreciate it

Philadelphia (yes, old one with Tom Hanks)- These are the movies I love, even though I've seen it multiple times.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I just finished watching Almost Famous on Netflix. I saw it when it first came out in a cold, dank, dreary rundown, cut rate theater on a cold, dank, dreary, rainy night. It was the last showing of the night, and I was freezing, even wearing a heavy jacket, as I watched the trailers for upcoming attractions. I told myself that I was going to walk out of the theater if the movie (Almost Famous) didn't grab me within the first five minutes. It grabbed me. In my opinion, it's the best rock movie ever made.
Gordon
black jack

Post by black jack »

Took daughter and niece to see Into the Woods (they chose, but perhaps without quite realizing what they were getting into). I enjoyed it; a musical, twining four classic fairy tales together and changing them around a bit. Since the stories deal with love, loss, and bearing up, there was something for all ages, and I left the theater humming the tunes.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

LadyGeek wrote:Snowpiercer. I you can make it past the first 30 minutes, you may as well watch the whole thing. This is a standard post-apocalyptic survival plot, except it takes place on a train.

I don't understand why this movie got such good ratings; perhaps it was for the quality of the directing and production. It certainly didn't get any awards for plot-line or dialog.

My impression is that this movie has hints of Quentin Tarantino's style, as there are a lot of subtle inferences and symbology embedded into the scenes. The director made the movie tolerable and kept my interest.

Recommendation: If you have friends or relatives that you want to get rid of, invite them over to watch the movie. You'll never see them again (or at least for a long time).
This short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05TDsoSg2Y might help explain why critics rate Snowpiercer very highly. It's more for the symbolism than the plot.
I certainly didn't find the movie that great, but after watching the above video re-evaluated it.

If you enjoyed that short video, I would highly recommend the following videos https://www.youtube.com/user/everyframeapainting/videos.
That reviewer made only 14 videos but once I started watching them I finished all of them in one sitting. Especially loved the ones about Jackie Chan and The Silence of the Lambs.
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 »

12 Years A Slave. I've seen thousands of movies, by far the saddest movie I've ever seen.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. About a young engineer who is too near-sighted to be a pilot who then goes on to design the Japanese Zero fighter plane.

Lots of insight into engineering culture and pre-war Japan. Most notable were the Great Kantō earthquake scenes which are utterly brilliantly done.
Ged

Post by Ged »

LazyNihilist wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:Snowpiercer. I you can make it past the first 30 minutes, you may as well watch the whole thing. This is a standard post-apocalyptic survival plot, except it takes place on a train.

This short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X05TDsoSg2Y might help explain why critics rate Snowpiercer very highly. It's more for the symbolism than the plot.
I certainly didn't find the movie that great, but after watching the above video re-evaluated it.
The problem with Snowpiercer is that while it may be laden with symbology, most of it is done in a quite clumsy fashion. I mean is this a martial arts movie or a sci-fi film? The result is just another take on the generation ship, and not a one I am likely to watch again.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

The Wolf of Wall Street. I wonder what Scorsese was trying to accomplish and I wonder when Hollywood will do a film about the real Wall Street, the one that causes global financial crises.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
market timer

Post by market timer »

Fallible wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street. I wonder what Scorsese was trying to accomplish and I wonder when Hollywood will do a film about the real Wall Street, the one that causes global financial crises.
Isn't that the premise of Inside Job?
JLJL

Re: What Movie Have You [Recently] Watched?

Post by JLJL »

HoosierJim wrote:Recently saw Begin Again - highly recommend.
We just caught Begin Again last night and I agree, it was great. Enjoyable, good music, not overly-dramatic... Mark Ruffalo is one of the best. Now I see some good reviews of Foxcatcher on here so that will be next on the list.

Saw Gone Girl while wrapping Christmas presents last week. We'd already watched Xmas vacation 2X this season and grinch/elf 10X so.... Anyway Gone Girl was worth a watch but not great IMO. It was too... polished maybe? My wife and bro-in-law peferred the book. I only read personal finance :) and other non-fiction (pulled much of my current reading list from the non-fiction thread on here). I prefer to watch any fiction intake.

Skeleton Twins, The Theory of Everything, Venus in Fur are in the queue as well. I know almost nothing about these movies but I just did a quick 2013/2014 Rotten Tomatoes search to find some highly-rated recent rentals. Found the other two this way as well. I don't have TV service otherwise so I never know what movies are out there.
market timer

Post by market timer »

Just saw a popular Thai romantic comedy, I Fine.. Thank You.. Love You. Cute movie about struggling to learn a new language.
atwood

Post by atwood »

I saw the original with James Caan and thought it was the worst movie I had ever seen. Good to know they've been faithful to the original.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

market timer wrote:
Fallible wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street. I wonder what Scorsese was trying to accomplish and I wonder when Hollywood will do a film about the real Wall Street, the one that causes global financial crises.
Isn't that the premise of Inside Job?
Inside Job is excellent, but I didn't think of it here because it's a documentary.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

nisiprius wrote:The Wolf of Wall Street, with Leonardo di Caprio. I loved it. My wife hated it so much she didn't even like to be in the adjacent room overhearing it, and is seriously annoyed with me for thinking it was funny.

Brilliant direction, brilliant acting. After watching the scene where di Caprio's character (Jordan Belfort) demonstrates how he can sweet-talk a rich guy into buying stock from him--building trust with the guy over the phone while simultaneously mocking him, making faces, and snide side remarks to the group of people clustered around the desk listening--I've thought just maybe I shouldn't own any stocks at all.
I think you're referring to the scene where he begins selling penny stocks and I remember it because it was one of the few times the voice of a sales victim was heard. And the victim's lines perfectly express the naivete, the herd instinct, the greed, the overall stupidity that allows him to be taken by a crook like Belfort and, of course, makes the movie possible.
Toons

Post by Toons »

2 movies,The Fantastic Voyage,The Man From Planet-X :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Strangers When We Meet.
Kim Novak...............hot, hot, hot!
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

Noah ... pretty good flick. Not your normal biblical epic from the fifties.
GolfGuy123

Post by GolfGuy123 »

Gone Girl...loved it.

Someone mentioned Grand Budapest Hotel, I saw this a few months ago and thought it was awesome. It just had a different "feel" than the majority of movies today, hard to explain without actually seeing it. The aesthetics and cinematography really made it stand out.
market timer

Post by market timer »

GolfGuy123 wrote:Someone mentioned Grand Budapest Hotel, I saw this a few months ago and thought it was awesome. It just had a different "feel" than the majority of movies today, hard to explain without actually seeing it. The aesthetics and cinematography really made it stand out.
The feel is very similar to other Wes Anderson films. If you liked Grand Budapest, check out some of his other work. Rushmore is one of my favorite movies.
GolfGuy123

Post by GolfGuy123 »

market timer wrote:
GolfGuy123 wrote:Someone mentioned Grand Budapest Hotel, I saw this a few months ago and thought it was awesome. It just had a different "feel" than the majority of movies today, hard to explain without actually seeing it. The aesthetics and cinematography really made it stand out.
The feel is very similar to other Wes Anderson films. If you liked Grand Budapest, check out some of his other work. Rushmore is one of my favorite movies.
Thanks! I will do that. I think it may be the only Wes Anderson film I have seen. Have to take a look the list of his work but def. have not seen Rushmore and will be checking it out.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Took my wife and the girls to see Into the Woods. They all loved it, for me, it was two hours of my life that I will never get back.

I watched This is Spinal Tap later that evening which allowed me to regain my mental equilibrium.

If that's possible.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Ged wrote:Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises. About a young engineer who is too near-sighted to be a pilot who then goes on to design the Japanese Zero fighter plane.

Lots of insight into engineering culture and pre-war Japan. Most notable were the Great Kantō earthquake scenes which are utterly brilliantly done.
I've been waiting for that to hit the Library.Check out his "Grave of the Fireflys "
All the Best, | Joe