Subaru Blues

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
SamB

Re: Subaru Blues

Post by SamB » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:08 pm

I have a 1995 Legacy L wagon AWD with about 155kmiles on it. I can see why many people like the Subaru, but AWD is basically twice as much trouble as 2WD, and the Subaru engine is prone to engine seal leaks. So in the 20 years I have owned the car, all of the wheel bearings have been replaced and I just had the clutch replaced. The car has a timing belt so that is the usual timing belt/water pump scenario every 50-60K miles. Oil leaks from seals are pretty much off and on over the life of the car.

If I had it to do over again, I would never buy an AWD car; I just don't need it. I think most people that pay the extra money for AWD cars don't really need them in terms of avoiding getting stuck in snow, etc. I keep the Subaru because it was the family station wagon, it has a low center of gravity and handles well, and I can fit all of my bicycles inside it. Also, I can still get parts for it without any problems.

My opinion is keep it simple unless you really need the extra drive train capability. I only drive the car about 3K miles per year, so the last thing I would consider is gas mileage. If you drive a lot of miles then you need to avoid AWD.

tc101

Post by tc101 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:33 pm

if you buy one you should consider the VIP program below. 2% below dealer invoice on the car and options. Few can match that level of discount w/o serious shopping efforts.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 8eOxEVIrYw

Is there anything similar to this for Honda or Toyota?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:32 pm

I've had two Subarus and will never have one again. Both had multiple major mechanical issues around 100K miles despite regular oil changes etc. Each cost around $5k. My current Subaru is a 2006 outback. At a little over 100K I had to redo the shocks and struts, The head gasket is leaking oil and the main bearings are also leaking. The air conditioner broke. Also the radio doesn't work because the antenna wire broke. The antenna wire is built into the hatchback door and the dealer said it would be $700 to replace the wiring harness. I fixed the shocks and struts for safety and the ac for comfort. The radio and the oil leaks I am living with. Meanwhile I have a Honda pilot with 170K miles on it and zero issues. I'll stick with Honda in the future.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Latest model years 2.5 liter subaru engines get great gas mileage partially because of low friction/pressure piston rings that they use. This also results in increased oil consumption because oil gets past the rings and gets burned during combustion. Long term this excess oil consumption can cause fouled plugs, coked valves, and downstream issues with O2 sensors and the cats. I'd avoid any 2013 and newer 2.5 liter subarus until there is well documented proof that the engines no longer burn ANY oil.