Want to buy a used Mini Cooper-> Talk me into it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Gambler

Want to buy a used Mini Cooper-> Talk me into it?

Postby Gambler » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:53 pm

age = 43, single, no kids, live in DC area w/lots of traffic.

i have a 2005 Mazda3 thats beginning to have engine problems so it looks like it's time to buy another car.

I like the Mini Cooper because of the unique way it looks.
But In my head, another Mazda3 or a Civic or an Elantra would be better suited as a daily commuter car.

daily commute = 25miles each way.
because of traffic, the car will be an automatic.

what I'm looking for is reliability, good gas milage, and low cost of ownership.

Talk me into buying a Mini Cooper :P
"Always be thankful for what you have no matter how much or how little" -EternalOptimist

TareNeko

Re: Want to buy a used Mini Cooper-> Talk me into it?

Postby TareNeko » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:02 pm

Ask this question at northamericanmotoring.com forums. It is a MINI Cooper forum.

If reliability is very important, I would get the non-S model. If you will get the S, then I'd suggest 2011 or newer. I do not know much about the reliability of automatic transmission.

I should add, I have a Cooper S, and I am extremely happy with it.

surfstar

Postby surfstar » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Gambler wrote:what I'm looking for is reliability, good gas milage, and low cost of ownership.

Sounds like you should get a 2012+ Mazda3 skyactiv.

fareastwarriors

Postby fareastwarriors » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:41 pm

what I'm looking for is reliability, good gas milage, and low cost of ownership.

That doesn't sound like a Mini...and this is coming from a cooper s owner.

I loved my old Madza 3 before i got my mini

smackboy1

Postby smackboy1 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 pm

Gambler wrote:what I'm looking for is reliability. . . and low cost of ownership.

You're unlikely to find either of those things with MINI/BMW ownership. Wifey has a 2007 Cooper S with 150K+ miles and it's been a fun car, but we've become very well acquainted with the service department. Definitely check out NAM so you go into it with eyes wide open.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Woodshark

Postby Woodshark » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:41 pm

Gambler wrote:

:P

Not going to find any of those those in a Mini. You need to look at Mazda Miata, they have them all.

skepticalobserver

Postby skepticalobserver » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:53 pm

So, what do you think will happen when your Mini Cooper is "t-boned" by the Camry that ran the red light? Some call the Mini Cooper a "coffin on wheels."

If you're looking for inexpensive wheels, try public transportation. Otherwise, get a decent size auto.

Also, biking in traffic is a death wish. Drivers either can't see you or don't care.As much as I like biking, this is a fact of life. Absolutely no margin for error.

jimp

Postby jimp » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:06 pm

I have a Mini Cooper S JCW GP ;) Do you want a fun car? Do you like to zip through traffic, go fast around corners/curves? Are you type A, impatient driver that likes to get around folks that are glued to their cell phones or live in a fog? The Mini S etc, are designed to be fun. Are there some minor trade-offs, sure. There's no perfect car.

bogleblitz

Postby bogleblitz » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:29 pm

Gambler wrote:

Talk me into buying a Mini Cooper :P

I used to own a mini cooper, great car. I recommend buying it.

reliability, mazda 3 or civic is more reliable.
good gas milage, Yes it is. so is the mazda 3 or civic.
low cost of ownership. Mini is expensive in maintenance compared to mazda 3 or civic.

I would buy another Mini cooper if I was still single. It's a great car.

Browser

Postby Browser » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:36 pm

I thought the reliability ratings for the Cooper were pretty poor. I like the looks of it too, but wouldn't touch a vehicle with poor reliability. Setting aside the whole thing about how safe these dink-mobiles are, which may or may not be a concern.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

TareNeko

Postby TareNeko » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:00 pm

MINI's reliability (especially non-S) is not poor. It is not as good as honda/toyota, but it is not as bad as a Triumph either..

Browser

Postby Browser » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:17 pm

Erhan wrote:MINI's reliability (especially non-S) is not poor. It is not as good as honda/toyota, but it is not as bad as a Triumph either..

Can't say I agree. Looking at Consumer Reports, the Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S have worst and next-to-worst overall reliability ratings as far as the eye can see (from 2003 to 2012). The Countryman has the worst rating since it hit the scene in 2011. Things looked up in 2013 for the Cooper and the S, but give them a little more time. I'm looking for my 10-foot pole...

kazper

Postby kazper » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:41 pm

Sorry, I have to tell you the truth...

I owned one in the dc area for a few years. I loved it but my wife was not a fan. Oil changes are extremely expensive (to be done correctly it needs to be taken to a mini dealership) and repairs cost a fortune. I cannot remember what we needed done, but it was nothing special and was going to cost 3k.

HikerNC

Postby HikerNC » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:35 pm

Remember that there are two kinds of buyers:
1. The kind who do a lot of research (reading the latest annual Consumer Reports Car issue which I recommend or reading posts at any of several Internet car sites. and
2. The kind who instead of researching car facts, consider how they feel about themselves driving a given car.

Not to stereotype a typical Boglehead, but I would guess that most Bogleheads fit into the first group. (And by the way, marriages between "type 1's" and "type 2's" often don't work out.) But the answer to your question is: If you're a "type 2," go ahead and buy what makes you feel good; you're going to do it anyway.

But for me, I did a great deal of research, beginning with Consumer Reports, followed by test drives and talking with owners of different brands, before I decided. And it's made all the difference. (Both my wife and i have owned our respective Subaru foresters for over ten years with not one problem)

Good luck.

hmw

Postby hmw » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:50 am

We test drove a Mini Cooper back in 2009 because my wife thought the car looked cool. After testi driving it, we were not very impressed with the ride. Very uncomfortable. Maybe it has improved since then. But consumer report does not give it any good reviews.

kazper

Postby kazper » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:11 am

One other thing, make sure it is a four door if you EVER plan on having someone sit in the back. Those things are a pain to crawl into!! Plus I remember hitting my head on the ceiling when going over bumps, and I am only 5 6. A tall person would not be happy back there.

plantingourpennies

Postby plantingourpennies » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:33 am

skepticalobserver wrote:So, what do you think will happen when your Mini Cooper is "t-boned" by the Camry that ran the red light? Some call the Mini Cooper a "coffin on wheels."

If you're looking for inexpensive wheels, try public transportation. Otherwise, get a decent size auto.

Also, biking in traffic is a death wish. Drivers either can't see you or don't care.As much as I like biking, this is a fact of life. Absolutely no margin for error.

Hi, this is incorrect information-please provide evidence to your claim or remove it.

Here is the crash ratings from IIHS-http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mini/cooper/2013 ; the mini's scores (from 2009 to 2014)were either "good" or "acceptable" for the 4 types of crashes.

Best,
Mr. PoP

fareastwarriors

Postby fareastwarriors » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:18 pm

But it's fun to drive!

Leif

Postby Leif » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:23 pm

I borrowed my sister in laws mini for trip into town.

My recommendation - be short, not much room. Also work out at the gym a few months before purchase. Concentrate on upper body strength. You will need it for the power (ha ha) steering.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

smackboy1

Postby smackboy1 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:54 pm

kazper wrote:Oil changes are extremely expensive (to be done correctly it needs to be taken to a mini dealership) and repairs cost a fortune.

It depends. New MINIs are covered by a 3 year/36K maintenance plan. MINI pays for fluid changes, filters, wipers, belts, brakes, etc.. However, all the maintenance intervals are determined by the on board computer. The car indicated it needed its 1st oil change at around 18K miles. I sent the engine oil out for analysis at and it needed changing at around 10K miles. So I ended up changing my own oil more frequently than MINI's own recommended intervals. Maintenance and repairs at the dealer are not cheap. However, it's pretty easy to learn DIY maintenance online to save some $. FYI MINI oil is actually Castrol Syntec 0W30 (a.k.a. German Castrol).

One more thing. If getting the Cooper S engine with direct fuel injection, google "MINI carbon buildup". Regular carbon cleaning is a hidden $200-400 expense that MINI doesn't disclose.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

TareNeko

Postby TareNeko » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:49 pm

@smackboy1: 2011 and newer Cooper S models have a different engine (N18) that does not have the carbon build-up issue.

emoore

Postby emoore » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:58 pm

kazper wrote:Sorry, I have to tell you the truth...

I owned one in the dc area for a few years. I loved it but my wife was not a fan. Oil changes are extremely expensive (to be done correctly it needs to be taken to a mini dealership) and repairs cost a fortune. I cannot remember what we needed done, but it was nothing special and was going to cost 3k.

I don't think that's correct on the oil changes. I had a mini for 5 years and changed my own oil most of the time. Wasn't any more difficult than any other car. It was a little different because the oil filter had a housing so you just replaced the filter inside. I had it done at an independent shop and no issues.

kazper

Postby kazper » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:19 pm

emoore wrote:
kazper wrote:Sorry, I have to tell you the truth...

I don't think that's correct on the oil changes. I had a mini for 5 years and changed my own oil most of the time. Wasn't any more difficult than any other car. It was a little different because the oil filter had a housing so you just replaced the filter inside. I had it done at an independent shop and no issues.

In order to have something properly reset, it needs to be done at a mini shop. There is a certain tool needed that is apparently customized to minis. I was told this by an independent shop and later at the dealership. The good news, it doesn't need oil changes as often...

Browser

Postby Browser » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:20 pm

I must say that the comments on this thread make me glad I don't own a mini. Very cute car but that's about it from what I can see.

Browser

Postby Browser » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:33 am

Oh -- here's some interesting info about the Mini's reliability for those still misinformed:

http://autos.jdpower.com/ratings/2014-Vehicle-Dependability-Study-Press-Release.htm

Dead Last.

tibbitts

Postby tibbitts » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:46 am

Browser wrote:
Erhan wrote:MINI's reliability (especially non-S) is not poor. It is not as good as honda/toyota, but it is not as bad as a Triumph either..

Can't say I agree. Looking at Consumer Reports, the Mini Cooper and Mini Cooper S have worst and next-to-worst overall reliability ratings as far as the eye can see (from 2003 to 2012). The Countryman has the worst rating since it hit the scene in 2011. Things looked up in 2013 for the Cooper and the S, but give them a little more time. I'm looking for my 10-foot pole...

I have no experience with a MINI, except for having sat in one (seemed very roomy in the front, at least), but am still predicting that any modern MINI will be vastly more reliable than a Triumph.

Omo

Postby Omo » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:21 am

I am replying to this old thread to see if anyone has any more recent experience with Mini's -- cost, reliability of the newer models since the last post in 2014?

tim1999

Postby tim1999 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 am

Try doing a search, I recall there was another Mini Cooper thread in the last few months, I believe someone had one that he/she was considering getting rid of before it basically self-destructed and the consensus was that those cars are junk outside of warranty.

Vanguard Fan 1367

Postby Vanguard Fan 1367 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:42 am

I have enjoyed cars with great reliability ratings from the Consumer Magazines. It sounds like the Mini Cooper isn't at the top of those ratings. I sure enjoyed my Corolla and my Camry.

Leif

Postby Leif » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:14 pm

One of the worst cars I've ever driven. Good thing for me it was a relatives car that I only drove for a day. For such as small car steering is terrible. My relatives agreed with me and later sold it for a Honda Accord.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

FraggleRock

Talk me our of it?

Postby FraggleRock » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Out, not into.
Oil leaks.
Expensive leaks.

jabberwockOG

Postby jabberwockOG » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:03 pm

Many credible reviews say it is expensive to maintain and very unreliable.

BTDT

Postby BTDT » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

skepticalobserver wrote:So, what do you think will happen when your Mini Cooper is "t-boned" by the Camry that ran the red light? Some call the Mini Cooper a "coffin on wheels."

Very well chosen username :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

bardenay

Postby bardenay » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:43 pm

A number of years back I seriously looked at a Mini Cooper and really liked it. On a lark, I called the dealer repair department to see what it would cost to do some typical repairs. At the time a front end brake job was $800! As much as I liked the car, the maintenance cost would have been hard to support with my daily commute.

mrb09

Postby mrb09 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:02 pm

I know you asked about Mini Coopers, but you mentioned you have a Mazda3 now. I absolutely love my wife's Gen 3 (2014) Mazda3 Touring with the 2.5 engine. A practical hatchback that is extremely fun to drive. Gas mileage in the 30's. We both swore we'd never voluntarily get an automatic, but the 6 speed auto with the manual shift made us converts.

obgraham

Postby obgraham » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:34 pm

Daughter has the "Countryman" model of Mini. Black. Looks like a small hearse.

She likes it, but I've borrowed it a couple of times on 150 mile trips. It's a real pain in my back. Feel every nick in the road surface. I recommend a buyer sit in one for a while, and drive it on the roads you will mostly use.

emoore

Postby emoore » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:12 pm

I owned a mini for 5 years. Was a fun car and drove like a go cart. Long trips were brutal though. If you want sports but a better highway ride look at the VW GTI. Best car I've even owned.

lazydavid

Postby lazydavid » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:31 pm

kazper wrote:In order to have something properly reset, it needs to be done at a mini shop. There is a certain tool needed that is apparently customized to minis. I was told this by an independent shop and later at the dealership. The good news, it doesn't need oil changes as often...

The only special tool required is the trip odometer button:

1. Locate the trip odometer button and depress and hold.
2. Insert the key into the ignition and partially turn into the first position.
3. Pay attention to the trip odometer to display the word ‘RESET’.
4. Release the trip odometer button, then press & hold it again.
5. The ‘RESET’ message will flash.
6. Release the button, and then press & release again (once only)
7. The service interval is now reset to 10,000 miles

This is the same as older BMWs, before they integrated the CBS functionality into the turn signal stalk. I assume you could also use the Carly app that I use with my 3-series.

michaeljc70

Postby michaeljc70 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:39 pm

HikerNC wrote:Remember that there are two kinds of buyers:
1. The kind who do a lot of research (reading the latest annual Consumer Reports Car issue which I recommend or reading posts at any of several Internet car sites. and
2. The kind who instead of researching car facts, consider how they feel about themselves driving a given car.

Not to stereotype a typical Boglehead, but I would guess that most Bogleheads fit into the first group. (And by the way, marriages between "type 1's" and "type 2's" often don't work out.) But the answer to your question is: If you're a "type 2," go ahead and buy what makes you feel good; you're going to do it anyway.

But for me, I did a great deal of research, beginning with Consumer Reports, followed by test drives and talking with owners of different brands, before I decided. And it's made all the difference. (Both my wife and i have owned our respective Subaru foresters for over ten years with not one problem)

Good luck.

Well put. A Mini Cooper would not be the most rational choice based on cost of ownership and reliability.

My guess is you already knew this and wanted to be "convinced" because it wouldn't be entirely practical.

2Birds1Stone

Postby 2Birds1Stone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:08 pm

Miata!

helloeveryone

Postby helloeveryone » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:10 pm

beware of cvt transmission issue. was signicant enough there was a class action lawsuit about it. not sure if it applies to recent models but we had a 2009 cooper that required new transmission at 41,000 miles.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:18 pm

plantingourpennies wrote:

Hi, this is incorrect information-please provide evidence to your claim or remove it.

Here is the crash ratings from IIHS-http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/vehicle/v/mini/cooper/2013 ; the mini's scores (from 2009 to 2014)were either "good" or "acceptable" for the 4 types of crashes.

Best,
Mr. PoP

No dog in this race, but this came up on the top of the first search I did.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-opens-p ... -problems/

Didn't look further, so don't know if there is more or all there is.

earlyout

Postby earlyout » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:06 pm

I bought a 2 year old base model Mini in 2013 and drove it 3 years. No maintenance except a few oil changes at my independent BMW/Mini shop. Got pushed off the road by a garbage truck and the Mini was totaled but no injuries. The Mini was a wonderful car for around the city. A lot of fun to drive, responsive, easy to park, good mileage. Would buy another Mini without hesitation.

keaton

Postby keaton » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Bogleheaders actually bring their vehicles to dealership? That's very surprising, the most inexperienced, expensive automotive repairs that exist.

Buying a Mini all depends on year, transmission and engine choice. Anyone that says they are unreliable are probabaly going off the bad years and power trains. Like any manufacture, they have good and bad products. One year can make or break a vehicle in ANY manufacture.

acanthurus

Postby acanthurus » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I have known five individuals who owned Minis. Four admitted to regretting it. The fifth still liked his, but sold it when repair costs exceeded the car's value, with less than 100k on the odometer.

Thrifty Femme

Postby Thrifty Femme » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:29 pm

My 2006 S stick shift is still rolling fine. Only started putting money into it last year for a new alternator and breaks. I am the original owner.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”