Deck - Best Method of Treatment

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Set40

Deck - Best Method of Treatment

Post by Set40 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:19 pm

I have a deck that was built new 1 year ago that was never stained or weatherproofed. We have harsh winters & am afraid of the wood getting weathered if I don't treat.
I am looking into various deck stains and it sound like stain needs to be re-applied every 3 years or so. :shock:

My question is does anyone have experience with products such as Deck Restore or Gaco Shield? Are these products worth the extra money & effort? Should I stick with regular wood stain? My main concerns are cost, longevity, & easy of application.

I don't necessarily enjoy this type of project so I want to get it right the first time & am willing to invest more in a superior product.

Toons

Re: Deck - Best Method of Treatment

Post by Toons » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 pm

I Have had excellent results with Flood Products(deck stain)harsh winters,hot summers :happy
Reasonable price ,Excellent Quality :happy

http://www.flood.com/wood-care-solution ... /2/details
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Green Nut

Post by Green Nut » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:43 am

Finally something I can contribute to on this wonderful forum, I tend to learn more than I can share...anyway.

I have tried Behr, Cabot, Thompson's, clear, tinted, semi-transp...etc...but the one I've tried and will keep using is One Time Wood http://onetimewood.com/. I just applied my second app and I'm in year 4 or 5. I never believed it would last the advertised 8yrs, but hoped for at least 3. There are a lot of haters of the product online, but I tried it anyway. Heck I had some apps of Cabot that wouldn't last the summer. My deck gets full sun from late morning to sunset, and that afternoon sun is outright brutal. Snow cover seems to be the #1 deck stain killer, so I try to keep it clear after every snowfall. Even after the initial color (natural is the darkest I use) has worn a bit it still fights water absorption in future years. This spring I reapplied, but only to rejuvenate the color, the boards were still protected fairly well. My deck is 15 years old and I see no need to consider replacing any time soon.

oh, its ~$80/gallon. It covered my 14x16 deck and rails with a tad bit left over.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 am

I have relied on the Consumer Reports reviews, based on field tests, for these choices. The tradeoff is between transparent stain which shows off the wood grain better and looks more natural, but needs reapplying very frequenty; and opaque or semi-transparent, which looks more artificial but lasts much longer.

As usual with such things, good (and time-consuming) prep pays off.

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:13 am

I can't speak to the durability yet, but I applied Behr's DeckOver (Home Depot) to a 17-year old, very weathered, pressure-treated, southern yellow pine deck last year. The result was an astounding improvement. And a year later it still looks great.

I have a two level deck. I removed a spa from the lower level at the same time and replaced the decking boards with new kiln dried PTSYP. Just last week I coated the lower deck with DeckOver as well. That's how impressed I was with the product.

plannerman

Set40

Post by Set40 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:19 am

Thanks for the replies.

plannerman wrote:I can't speak to the durability yet, but I applied Behr's DeckOver (Home Depot) to a 17-year old, very weathered, pressure-treated, southern yellow pine deck last year. The result was an astounding improvement. And a year later it still looks great.
plannerman

Do you get snow & full sun on your deck? There were some aweful youtube reviews where this product peeled off after a year. Glad to hear you had a good experience. I like the look of this product.

Green Nut wrote:I have tried Behr, Cabot, Thompson's, clear, tinted, semi-transp...etc...but the one I've tried and will keep using is One Time Wood http://onetimewood.com/. oh, its ~$80/gallon. It covered my 14x16 deck and rails with a tad bit left over.

Can I find this product at HD or Lowes?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:21 am

Green Nut wrote:Finally something I can contribute to on this wonderful forum, I tend to learn more than I can share...anyway.

I have tried Behr, Cabot, Thompson's, clear, tinted, semi-transp...etc...but the one I've tried and will keep using is One Time Wood http://onetimewood.com/. I just applied my second app and I'm in year 4 or 5. I never believed it would last the advertised 8yrs, but hoped for at least 3. There are a lot of haters of the product online, but I tried it anyway. Heck I had some apps of Cabot that wouldn't last the summer. My deck gets full sun from late morning to sunset, and that afternoon sun is outright brutal. Snow cover seems to be the #1 deck stain killer, so I try to keep it clear after every snowfall. Even after the initial color (natural is the darkest I use) has worn a bit it still fights water absorption in future years. This spring I reapplied, but only to rejuvenate the color, the boards were still protected fairly well. My deck is 15 years old and I see no need to consider replacing any time soon.

oh, its ~$80/gallon. It covered my 14x16 deck and rails with a tad bit left over.

Wow you wrote the same thing I was going to write. What convinced me to try it was that almost all of the bad reviews came from outspoken deck "professionals" who were set in their ways about a single method to protect decks. All of the good reviews were from people that had claimed to use it. There is some disappointment with the "natural" color which seems to fade quickly.

My deck has about 1 more year left on the horizontals after my first treatment of one time wood 4 years ago. I live in the pacific northwest, 2/3 of the deck is under open sky and gets mostly sun, 1/3 is under a tree with a good amount of shade. I also don't require a perfect looking deck...it would probably look better if i swept the leaves off more during the fall and didn't let them sit all winter.

I prepped by stripping and brightening and used the red cedar color. There was some peeling where I put it on too thick but it was minor and the the wood underneath still picked up the color.

Whatever you do don't use a film forming product, it is guaranteed to peel and look terrible.

fondawjef

Post by fondawjef » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:07 am

I have been happy with the products from TWP (Total Wood Protection). They have a complete line of strippers, renewal products and stain formulas in several color choices. They will send sample colors for a small fee which is subtracted from the purchase price if you choose their product. As others have said you probably want a stain and not a film/coat like product. Stains which penetrate into the wood can be easily renewed. Products which coat can peel and be difficult to renew/refresh.

sdrone

Post by sdrone » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am

As someone above said, Consumer Reports recommended Flud (Flood? I can't remember) products until the last year or so. They now recommend BEhr products.

I've used both and been happy with the results. Wood will still dry out when it gets a ton of sun, though you can help that by applying more often. We used the Behr "transparent" stain product early this summer and have been happy with the results.

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:04 am

Toons wrote:I Have had excellent results with Flood Products(deck stain)harsh winters,hot summers :happy
Reasonable price ,Excellent Quality :happy

http://www.flood.com/wood-care-solution ... /2/details

I used Flood a couple years ago. Didn't hold up worth a darn. Stuff was worthless.

My next deck "refinish" will be this stuff http://www.zometek.com
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:12 am

DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT USE BEHR STAIN. Their paint for indoors is ok. Their stain for outdoors is awful. Peeled within a year.

plannerman

Post by plannerman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:42 am

Do you get snow & full sun on your deck? There were some aweful youtube reviews where this product peeled off after a year. Glad to hear you had a good experience. I like the look of this product.

We are in Western NC and the deck faces north. Some, but not much, snow and about half of the deck is in direct sun in the summer.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:45 pm

1) Is your deck cedar or pressure-treated or something else?

If it's cedar and you want to preserve the color and transparency, more or less, then you'll probably want a lighter/more transparent stain, and unfortunately such stains don't seem to last as long.

If it's pressure treated and has that greenish-hue, then you may want a darker/more opaque stain, as that wood isn't so beautiful (to my eyes anyways).

2) The stain on my deck lasts longer on the vertical surfaces than on the horizontals. On my most recent re-stain cycle (and I think on some previous ones), I mainly restained the horizontals and left the verticals alone. (Verticals are the poles and supports and such)

3) Different surfaces may soak up stain, and change color, at different rates. i.e. My horizontals are fairly smooth, and soak up relatively little stain, and I think my original color testing was on them. When we stained everything, the more rough-hewn verticals soaked up a lot more stain and came out darker than I would have preferred. When you think you know what stain you want, get a small quantity and do a small test on a few different areas of your deck.

4) Direct sunlight and foot traffic seem to be the major contributors to stain wearing/peeling away (and thus the need for quicker restains). But the parts that actually rot, in my experience, are not so much either of those. Rather, the primary correlation with rot is lack of sunlight, and places that can trap water/moisture. i.e. If an area gets wet and stays wet/damp, it will probably rot (or get soft) sooner.

FWIW, we are in St. Louis County, Missouri. Our deck faces southeast-ish, and most of it gets a fair amount of sun (and some snow in the winter). The way it's laid out, the steps probably get the least sun, and we've had to replace most/all of the steps and support materials, but that may have been in part due to some less-than-optimal original construction. Our deck is cedar (though I think some of the supports are pressure treated) and was built in about 1997.

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Also, if you *DO* make a mistake and want to change out your stain for something else after a year or two, that *should* be possible. I've removed stain from large areas of our deck with both chemical products and pressure washers. I think in at least the latter case, it was helpful that the stain had been on the surfaces for a couple of years (i.e. it flakes off more easily).

One time I went through an elaborate system of chemical strippers and reconditioners (from Behr, I think), before restaining. IMO, that whole process was unnecessary, and in later restains, I've generally just pressure washed things (somewhat imperfectly removing the old stain), let things dry, then put on new stain. Again, I haven't done the verticals every time - often only the horizontals need it.

Downeastah

Post by Downeastah » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:37 pm

I live in Maine and get a ton of snow, and full afternoon sun, but that's not my problem. I have two very active German Shorthaired Pointers, and their claws scratch the heck out of my deck finish. I have only used Cabot but hesitate to go with anything else until I can find something that will stand up to constant dog traffic! Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." George S. Patton, Jr.

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:47 pm

I used to work for a company that supplied raw materials for these products. We used to hold up Thompson's Water Shield as an example of what not to do to our customers.

Sorry I can't recommend a current product - only not to use Thompson's.

mrehal

Post by mrehal » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 am

Has anyone used the rustoleum restore products for wooden decks?
I have a 4 y/o deck that needs to be either stained or coated. I have read the coating provides a nice, non slick finish which would be good for kids around the pool, but may chip after the winter.

kmb727

Post by kmb727 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:33 am

I definitely would not recommend the Deckover type products for a brand new deck! These are solids that completely cover the beautiful wood and really are designed to give old, beat up decks a new life.

We just went through the process of restoring our 15 year old deck. It was amazing what a cleaner and brightener could do. I will be staining the deck, and after doing a lot of research on stains, have decided to use Ready Seal stain. It has very good reviews, and I was able to order online from Home Depot with free shipping.

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that horizontal wood surfaces are going to require some upkeep. But with proper prep and application of a quality stain, you can stretch the time between applications.

PS - I'm in NC, too!

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:25 pm

I also recommend TWP products. I used cheapy Olympic stain for several years and was reapplying every single summer. The Olympic product would peel after just one winter. I went with TWP after a lot of online research and forum reading and I am hoping to get at least 2-3 years out of it. I think it was about $30/gallon, but it is oil based and is supposed to actually soak into the wood and not coat it like the garbage water based products do.

derosa

Post by derosa » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:00 pm

Pressure treated wood decks = on going, regular maintenance. Can't avoid it. Period.

If use kiln dried on new deck you stain right away. If not then you should wait, maybe not a year, but give it time to dry out.

As with anything like this, preparation is absolutely critical. If you skip or minimize those steps you will get little value. My guess is many of the people that complain about a product didn't prep properly and apply properly. IMO.

Semi transparent stain means you might get 2 years out of it.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm using the Deckover from Behr.

Let me tell you - you do not want to use this stuff if you don't have to. It is thick, glopy, expensive and takes forever to put on (although I'm faster now). It will have you wondering if it would be cheaper and easier to just replace the boards.

That said, our deck is 20 years old and gets a lot of heat and sunlight and rain. It has cracks, and knots, and some splintering. The Deckover is making it look halfway decent and hopefully will protect it from further deterioration, although I suspect I'll be adding a second coat next year.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:39 pm

We have a 10x30 ft deck made out of pressure treated pine. It was installed 28 years ago, and it still does not show any wear except for a few longitudinal cracks which have been filled in with stain by now. I use Behr solid deck stain every 3 years, it never peeled. This deck receives 4 hours full sun and full rain and snow. We live in upstate NY which has harsh winters. I understand that you should select a solid stain to cover the wood fibers against destruction by sun rays.