Robin Williams

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Toons

Robin Williams

Post by Toons »

RIP.

He made us laugh for decades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr1DSLoHni0
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
jeff1949

Re: Robin Williams

Post by jeff1949 »

That is one big bummer.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Sad - definitely a defining comedian for the generation. Bi-polar can be brutal but is often associated with the talent.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

RIP.

Great comedian and fine actor.
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Why ? Why? I loved that man. I watched "Dead Poet's Society" just last night... What a loss. He gave so much joy. He had so much more to give.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
cfs

Post by cfs »

Movie Patch Adams.

Many moons ago I wrote a college paper reviewing the movie Patch Adams. Philip Seymour Hoffman was in the same movie. Both actors died in 2014.

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
denovo

Post by denovo »

One of my favorite comedians, but who had a flair for dramatic acting too.

This one hurt.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Levett

Post by Levett »

A creative genius. An American treasure.

Lev
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I am very sad. I am confused about the third wife's statements that they were great friends etc and where was she? I am not trying to offload blame here but why wasn't he better watched over if in such a state -- where was she and where were the loved ones? I am greatly disturbed by how everybody now is saying that he was "severely depressed" and yet he died apparently alone in his house. Not a hotel like Philip Hoffman, Why wasn't he getting more attention and if suicidal, where was everybody. I am angry as I loved this man and he didn't need to die.
Last edited by Calm Man on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

No!

I remember him on "Mork and Mindy."

As I was writing this my wife called from the other room and said "Hey, honey--did you know Robin Williams apparently committed suicide?"

Great comic, very high humor-to-hostility ratio.
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TRC

Post by TRC »

Shocking and totally sad. I loved him in Good Will Hunting.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry, but this is off-topic. I understand this is a sad situation, but it does not relate to personal investing or consumer issues. It's a general comment. See: Forum Policy

This topic is locked.

Personal Consumer Issues

This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Thread unlocked, see below.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Sorry for the delay. Upon further thought, this thread can be made on-topic by discussing the movies of Robin Williams. This thread is now unlocked.

These two movies made a lasting impression on me:

- Good morning, Vietnam
- Moscow on the Hudson
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

He was great in Aladin.
I will miss him.
I hope this sad situation might perhaps raise awareness of others who need help and perhaps prevent other tragedies...
RIP Mr. Bogle.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

He was a comic genius, no, strike that, not just a comic genius, his performances in Patch Adams and Good Will Hunting prove he was a genius in all aspects of acting. It is tragic he didn't find help when he needed it. I am praying for his family.
gatorman
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I had "Dead Poets Society" on my list of films to watch. Now, it will be a more sad, but also a more profound, experience.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Taylor Larimore

Re: Robin Williams -- "Dead Poet's Society"

Post by Taylor Larimore »

VictoriaF wrote:I had "Dead Poets Society" on my list of films to watch. Now, it will be a more sad, but also a more profound, experience.

Victoria
Victoria:

I seldom have time to watch movies anymore, but "Dead Poets Society" was one of the best movies I've enjoyed.

How tragic to lose such a kind and gifted gentleman.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
chaz

Post by chaz »

Very sad. "Good morning Viet Nam".
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I am so, so sad. I always like to think of some good coming out of everything although this one is hard. I guess maybe I can find something. And I think it's OK for the forum because it is actionable and not medical advice, although it is spiritual type advice !! We all have loved ones and we all have sensed some of them to be "in trouble" at times for reasons maybe their fault or maybe not. So if you have somebody like this in your life or will in the future, maybe give him/her that extra gift of love. And maybe see to it if you can that they not be alone like this poor soul was in his own house when he did harm to himself. I keep saying to myself: where were "they"? Could this have been prevented?
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

Surprisingly, I thought RV was a really funny movie. Definitely didn't expect it to be.

By the way, I'm interested to see how his will/estate will play out. For those of you who followed the James Gandolfini's case, it's definitely a case study in making sure you have your financial/estate/trust affairs in order..
Allan

Post by Allan »

I actually liked Robin Williams in the movie Popeye, I remember taking my daughter to it 30+ years ago. He really was a pretty good actor.

Allan
greg24

Post by greg24 »

His range was pretty amazing. RIP.

For some reason, comics dying early really hits home. John Candy, Phil Hartmann, now Robin.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Terribly sorry to hear of his death. I liked him in Good Will Hunting, Good Morning Vietnam, and Dead Poets Society, but also when he was interviewed. He usually started off calmly, but it was the calm before the storm when he'd get a mischievous look and then explode into another character and then another and in just seconds. A.O. Scott in the NYT referred to it as "inspiration" or "compulsion" or both. Probably both.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
GenXer

Post by GenXer »

Marc Maron just reposted his 2010 WTF interview with Robin Williams: http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episodes/ ... n_williams

If you're new to WTF, this is a great podcast. In it, Williams talks about his career, the "business," his relapse, etc. Besides his comedic genius (and I don't use that word lightly), what amazes me about Williams is his profound humility and compassion for others.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

I always enjoyed Good Will Hunting. He was close friends with Christopher Reeves and I always enjoyed the story of when Robin Williams came to see him after the accident and pretended he was a Russian doctor who was there to perform a rectal exam.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/the- ... re#3l2mzag
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

I can think of few things more cruel than blaming his family for this, as some in this thread have done. I suppose you think they should have had him in a cage.
parsi1

Post by parsi1 »

I always loved his movies and his style of comedy, my favorite movie was The Fisher King.
People like him never die. :(
bluelight

Post by bluelight »

Thank you for reopening this thread.

I can count on one hand the times I have cried over the loss of a celebrity. Robin Williams joins that short list. He was one in a million. I loved him in Good Morning Vietnam, watched it again a few weeks ago. And of course The Birdcage, The World According to Garp, Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting.

He will be sorely missed. RIP Robin.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

RIP Oh Captain, My Captain
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

bluelight wrote:Thank you for reopening this thread.

I can count on one hand the times I have cried over the loss of a celebrity. Robin Williams joins that short list. He was one in a million. I loved him in Good Morning Vietnam, watched it again a few weeks ago. And of course The Birdcage, The World According to Garp, Dead Poets Society and Good Will Hunting.

You're welcome. I should have reopened it earlier, but got delayed by my day job. Sorry.

The World According to Garp - Yes, I remember the opening and closing scenes most vividly.

The opening scene - An airplane crashes into a house. We'll take it. Why? Nothing bad can ever happen to it again. Hilarious.

The closing scene - He's in a helicopter. Look, I'm flying... Very emotional, especially after today. (Title of the scene: "I'm flying")
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

An Excellent Talent.So Sad.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

He was truly one of the great ones. I can still hear him saying nano-nano while watching him on the big square box.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-
sambb

Post by sambb »

dead poets society was a good drama for him. I liked it.
He was a unique comedian.
david99

Post by david99 »

A great entertainer. Wonderful standup comedy and many great movies. We were so lucky to have him. RIP
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Very sad. Here is a man with more money than he could ever spend.

He could buy an island in the Caribbean and just live. But some just can not turn "it" off.

Stars getting divorced and then immediately married again. It can't fathom how crazy the life must be.

Too crazy to handle I guess.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

"Gooooooood morning, Vietnam!" :happy

:(
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

chaz wrote:Very sad. "Good morning Viet Nam".
Great movie but the one thing that bugged me was that not much was made about the fact that the character he played, Adrian Cronauer, was based on an actual Army radio DJ. Though no doubt Robin went over the top to deliver such a great performance...
Williams did other movies based on real folks like Dead Poets Society and Patch Adams.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Truly a unique talent. He made it look so easy. For those that are interested today on Fresh Air an interview with Robin from 2006 was replayed. It was entertaining and insightful. Also some great interviews with Johnny Carson and Robin are on You Tube. A sad, sad day.
Code Commit

Post by Code Commit »

"Understanding poetry ...

... that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq_XBP3NrBo (jump to 3:35 only if you must)
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

LadyGeek wrote:
bluelight wrote:Thank you for reopening this thread.

You're welcome. I should have reopened it earlier, but got delayed by my day job. Sorry.

The World According to Garp - Yes, I remember the opening and closing scenes most vividly.

The opening scene - An airplane crashes into a house. We'll take it. Why? Nothing bad can ever happen to it again. Hilarious.

The closing scene - He's in a helicopter. Look, I'm flying... Very emotional, especially after today. (Title of the scene: "I'm flying")
Great movie

John
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Personally, Lauren Bacall's death affects me more. It's the passing of an era. Humphrey Bogart was one of my favorite actors, and Lauren Bacall and he had a special relationship and together made several unforgettable films.
Gordon
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

In spite of all his great movies I still liked Mork and Mindy best.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

This thread has run it's course. Let's get back to discussing investing.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi