Home Exchange

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LaMD

Home Exchange

Post by LaMD » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:10 pm

Anyone here have experience with home exchanges as a way to save $ on travel accommodations? There are a few sites out there that facilitate the exchanges (I've been perusing HomeExchange.com, which seems to be the most prominent one), and there are tons of very nice homes around the US and abroad that people are offering for swaps. It sounds like a really fun way to travel and experience the local culture, and perhaps best of all could reduce the cost of a trip by 1/3 to 1/2.

Of course, there's the unease about letting strangers stay in my home while I'm not there. And also some concerns about insurance and liability. Would most homeowner's insurance policies deny a claim for fire or injury if a couple I "met" on homeexchange.com was staying at my house? If no money is exchanged, it's not the same as a short-term rental, but it's also not perfectly honest to say that they are "friends" staying there. I'm assuming that if I call my insurer they would just say "no", even though it's not explicitly stated in my homeowner's policy.

Curious if anyone here has done home exchanges, what your experiences have been like, other concerns, etc.

6miths

Re: Home Exchange

Post by 6miths » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:23 pm

We haven't but it is definitely something we hope to do down the road.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

August

Re: Home Exchange

Post by August » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:38 pm

I can't say for sure on your insurance question without reading your specific policy, but many HO policies would cover the building, other structures, and contents from damage by a guest. I'm not sure on the liability part as I have no experience with that side of HO's claims.