Roof replacement

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
arrbee

Roof replacement

Post by arrbee » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:35 am

Good morning Friday!
This morning I was informed that we need to replace the roof on our rental.
As of now, we plan to continue to rent this house out (and not sell).

House costs ~$400K. (similar to other houses in the area).
Based on previous threads, I called our insurance company and they do not offer a discount for using a certain manufacturer, but mentioned that once the roof is replaced that a discount on the insurance premium for renewal might apply.

As I understand it, I'll need to capitalize the improvement.

1. Would love to hear recommendations on architectural vs 3-tab (and how you reached that decision/recommendation)
2. Recommendation on shingle manufacturer. As I understand it, the installer typically has a tie-up with a manufacturer and provided a longer warranty if said manufacturer is used. (Any preference for Atlas or CertainTeed)
3. Anything else I am overlooking :-)

Thanks.

WhyNotUs

Re: Roof replacement

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:52 am

regular asphalt three tabs are not a good value unless you are disposing of the property.
So much of the job is labor, spending for long wear shingles adds value.
I used Owens Corning HP Weatherguard for my house and have used ELK and OC on other jobs so cannot speak to CT or Atlas). Minimum 12 year warranty.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

bnes

Post by bnes » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:56 am

arrbee wrote:3. Anything else I am overlooking :-)

It's a good time to consider solar, or at the very least the mounting brackets. You can sell the solar energy back to the tennants, or count it as a perk.

Metal roofs last far longer than any asphalt shingles: are you investing in your house with a timeframe like you invest in stocks?

In some cases a layer of XPS foam under the roof can reduce heating/cooling costs. Check locally for advice based on your climate and moisture issues.

agent13x

Post by agent13x » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:18 pm

You're looking at a rental, so your value proposition may be different, but when my roof comes up for replacement I plan on switching to a metal roof. Save money on heating/cooling, and much longer lasting. Available in any color you want. Higher upfront cost but lasts so much longer and higher resale.

stickman731

Post by stickman731 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:28 pm

I would recommend visiting www.gaf.com. They have a lot of information on their website. I actually have Timberline American Harvest and used one of their MasterELite contractor based on a colleague recommendation. They did an outstanding job.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:34 pm

i replaced my roof 2 years ago with architectural because it looks sooo much better. the price difference was tiny. get quotes on both - i bet you'll be pleasantly surprised.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:48 pm

I am about to begin a roof replacement in another two or so weeks. This is an insurance covered replacement on my primary home, so there is a different value set here.

That said, I agree with others that the biggest cost is labor. And then, given that my insurance is paying for a full 3-tab replacement, going to architectural shingles (my plan) will be only a small cost for me. Many of my neighbors did the same upgrade when changing their roofs (rooves sp?). Additionally, the insurance is replacing my siding and looking into similar options there too.

What do the houses in the area of your rental have? Going top of the line in an area where every house only has three-tab will not nab you as much of a difference than an area where some/most houses have metal, architectural, or other roof types.

Abe

Post by Abe » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:59 pm

I recently replaced the roof (shingles) on my personal residence with 30 year architectural shingles.
I have been replacing shingles on rentals with 25 year 3 tap shingles.
I have a contractor who does this for $160.00 per square for 3 tap or $180.00 per square for architectural. This includes all labor and materials, taking off the old shingles and hauling away and installing new shingles and felt.
Slow and steady wins the race.

August

Post by August » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:32 pm

I prefer the 30 year laminates over the 25 year 3 tab. Generally, the 3tab is more labor intensive while the material for the 30 year is slightly higher. I would get quotes on both and compare several roofers and quotes. If you are in a high wind or hail area, the advantages of the 30 year are even greater.

Mind if I ask why you need to replace the roof? If it is due to hail or wind damage, your insurance company may cover some or most of the cost.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:51 pm

Architectural all the way, especially if you do it yourself. With 3 tab, alignment is critical, or it looks bad,
with architectural, you'll never see how it was laid.

Architectural weighs more, but lasts longer. I also don't believe that you can lay a second or third layer of shingles
over architectural like they used to with 3 tab, but I don;t think the modern trusses used on roofs will support the load
that the old heavy roof joists did anyway. I just do a full tear-off, replace any damaged roof sheathing, and lay a single layer of
architectural.

Make sure you or the installers apply ice and water membrane along the bottom edge of the roof (the eaves) to minimize
water damage from ice dams. I also like to use it in any valleys. It's about 2 foot wide $1 a linear foot, but well worth it.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:31 pm

Make sure you hire a good quality roofer.

Not someone who just picks up people at Lowe/Home Depot parking lot every day because they can pick up a hammer.

Even high quality shingles will leak and/or blow off if they are "high nailed" or or otherwise incorrectly installed. :annoyed

arrbee

Post by arrbee » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:03 am

Huge thanks for the replies and suggestions.
Crow Hunter wrote:Make sure you hire a good quality roofer.
Not someone who just picks up people at Lowe/Home Depot parking lot every day because they can pick up a hammer.
Even high quality shingles will leak and/or blow off if they are "high nailed" or or otherwise incorrectly installed. :annoyed

Plan to work with licensed, insured and bonded roofer.
MathWizard wrote: Make sure you or the installers apply ice and water membrane along the bottom edge of the roof (the eaves) to minimize
water damage from ice dams. I also like to use it in any valleys. It's about 2 foot wide $1 a linear foot, but well worth it.

Thanks will do.
August wrote:I prefer the 30 year laminates over the 25 year 3 tab. Generally, the 3tab is more labor intensive while the material for the 30 year is slightly higher. I would get quotes on both and compare several roofers and quotes. If you are in a high wind or hail area, the advantages of the 30 year are even greater.

Mind if I ask why you need to replace the roof? If it is due to hail or wind damage, your insurance company may cover some or most of the cost.

The roof is old and has now leaked in a few different places over the last year. No damage from hail or wind. Plan to get multiple quotes, comparison tends to get trickier. From what I see the gross profit is about 40%.
BrandonBogle wrote:What do the houses in the area of your rental have? Going top of the line in an area where every house only has three-tab will not nab you as much of a difference than an area where some/most houses have metal, architectural, or other roof types.

Everyone has 3-tab and and I don't think anyone will get architectural shingles. Yet another consideration for me.

The metal roof is a good suggestion, as is the solar, but there is no uptake for either in the area. Given rental, I think I will follow rather than lead.

Many thanks folks.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:43 am

How many square is your roof?
What is the installation rate per square?
Are you near the rental that you can oversee the work?
Who informed you it needs replacing? Based upon what?
How much longer do you plan on keeping the property?
Where is the property and how do you feel about filing insurance claims on the next roof problem?
Are there restrictions on what you can put on the roof?
Is payback a concern?

I buy off brand 30/lifetime roofs, try to make sure they get proper number of nails for the warrantee.
I know others that put the cheap stuff on.
Labor can kill the costs, I like 40-50/sq kind of guys, but I watch the work.
4nursebee

kksmom

Post by kksmom » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:31 am

Didnt read all the replies

A possible option is..
"Repair" half the roof this year.
"Repair" the other half next year.

It aint a capital expense any more, but more of a repair expense that you can deduct instead of depreciate.