Home Siding Options

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BrandonBogle

Home Siding Options

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Due to a recent hailstorm, I am undergoing a complete roof and siding replacement. My homeowners policy is picking up the tab (full replacement cost policy). I had traditional 3-tab shingles and on Monday I will be looking at colors and options for the new roof. The house had aluminum siding and the contracting company is recommending to replace it with a premier vinyl.

I see some comments in other threads about using cement fiber or Hardiplank siding. I haven't seen either in my neighborhood. I will take a closer look this weekend, but it appears most homes around me are vinyl or aluminum.

What are everyone's thoughts about vinyl siding?

BTW, I am in North Carolina (not the mountains) and have a brick veneer front home.

dpc

Re: Home Siding Options

Post by dpc » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:33 pm

We replaced our old siding with Hardi board several years ago. It is the only way to go in my opinion. It is used on virtually every new home built in this area. Holds paint well, handles moisture well, and looks better than vinyl IMO.

You do have to prime and paint it, but the paint holds up very well. I'm a very satisfied customer. Not so happy with the contractor who installed it, but that is another story.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

timmy

Post by timmy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:35 pm

These days... all of the above offer fine protection from the elements. Cement board and pressed woods are alternatives generally to wood. So if you are looking for an arguably higher end finish, go with the wood replacements. If you were fine with vinyl before, then use the premium vinyl for a slighly nicer look.

Cement board requires a very specific installation method, so make sure your installer has the right experience.

Good luck!

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:01 pm

2 years ago, after studying all the alternatives, replaced the siding on my house with hardi plank. looks great; pleased with my decision. went with the factory prepainted option as it lasts longer. applying paint in temperature and humidity controlled conditions in a factory gives a better result than can be achieved on site.

August

Post by August » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:16 pm

Personally I prefer fiber cement siding over metal or vinyl, but that is a personal preference. The Carolinas are not a huge hail area, I think the last storm prior to the one this year was in 2011 or so. Keep in mind that your insurance will probably only pay up to the cost of the siding you had (aluminum). Premium vinyl is usually similar in cost to aluminum, but cement board will be more expensive and thus most likely result in additional out of pocket costs to you.

The biggest drawback to vinyl as opposed to other sidings is its tendency to crack, fade, and puncture (rocks from lawnmowers is a huge culprit). The pro's are it is relatively low maintenance.

Edited to add: I only bring up NC not being a huge hail area because vinyl siding is not usually recommended in hail/wind prone areas (Omaha, Denver, etc).

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:57 pm

Yeah. The last one in my neighborhood was back in 2010 or so. And we are far enough south (and just above sea level) that we barely get any snow in the part of the state. Even in the dead of winter, we rarely get a ground freeze, so climate is not nearly as hard on stuff here.

I'll get the estimates tonight/tomorrow, so I will see the ballpark I'm already at. The contractor did originally indicate that premium vinyl should be roughly on par for the layout of aluminum. So we would be looking at an out-of-pocket upgrade here.

webslinger

Post by webslinger » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:20 pm

I agree with all of the previous comments regarding HardiePlank We replaced the cedar siding on our home over 3 years ago and have been very pleased. It still looks like the day it went up. I don't like the look and feel of either vinyl or aluminum siding.

As others have said, it is very important to make certain your installer is experienced.

There have been previous posts on this topic in the past - do a search.

Webslinger

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:07 am

+1 Hardie, have it, like it
Also, there are higher end asphalt shingles that are designed to do better with hail. I have HP Weatherguard
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:27 am

Definitely doing the upgrade on the shingles. Got traditional 3 tab now and will go with one of the "architectural shingle" upgrades. Love how it looks on the next door neighbors house.

Driving around the neighborhood, I'd say the other houses are 60% aluminum, 30% vinyl, and 10% other materials like brick veneer (all 4 sides). I will see if I can find some "in person" examples of Hardiplanks since everyone speaks so highly of them.

If not, I'm looking into cedar shake style vinyl and other stuff other than traditional long planks.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:54 am

I like my hardi plank siding. It came with the house so I didn't pay the bill directly...

TRC

Post by TRC » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:13 am

Another vote for Hardi Plank siding. We resided our faded and cracked vinyl 2 years ago and it looks awesome. It's more than 2X the cost of vinyl, but worth it IMO if you plan on staying there for a while.

jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:46 am

I've been looking into the pros and cons of what to use to replace the original ticky-tacky siding on our home. Many of the houses in the neighborhood have already replaced the siding with all three types. From what I've seen and learned, so far it looks like Hardi plank is the way we'll go, though it is more expensive than vinyl.

One thing worth considering is fire resistance. As I recall several years ago there was a house fire somewhere in the Atlanta area in a neighborhood of relatively big houses on small lots with little distance between houses that all had vinyl siding. The heat of the fire caused the vinyl siding on the adjacent houses to catch fire too. As I seem to recall the other houses were severely damaged or perhaps even burned down too. I have actually seen vinyl siding that was melted and the house scorched in my area because of a house-fire next door, so I do know it could happen.

That's not gonna happen with Hardiplank or aluminum siding, so that's worth thinking about if your house is close to others, or perhaps in a heavily wooded area where a tree or brush fire might make your house more vulnerable.

Hardi plank also costs more than vinyl siding for material and labor. So while vinyl might be a consideration if your budget is tight, I'd go with replacement aluminum or Hardi-plank-like siding if the insurance is going to pay all of it.

One disadvantage of Hardiplank/cement board is that it must be caulked extremely well, and does require periodic repainting. On the other hand, vinyl and aluminum siding eventually fades and is difficult to impossible to paint. Aluminum siding which is prone to denting too. So if a piece of either is damaged and has to be replaced after a few years it won't match the other siding well. SInce you have to paint Hardi plank or similar material anyway, matching the color is not a major problem. And it's not as likely to need replacement because it's pretty sturdy stuff.

Another consideration with Hardie plank or equivalent is the credentials of the installer. I'd suggest shopping for an installer who knows how it should be done. Because the caulking is so important, it can make or break whether the manfacturer's warranty applies to the materials. And lack of adequate caulking can let moisture in that can damage the structure. From what I've been told, the Hardie company "certifies" some installers and may even send out an inspector to make sure the job is being done right. That might be worth some more research for you, too.

One other point to consider with Hardi or other fiber plank. I've talked to a number of contractors, and the ways of estimating labor and material varies widely. Some charge for the square footage of the walls including the windows, some don't. Some charge extra labor for the windows, some don't. I thnk it's reasonable to pay for the material that is wasted because of size and trimming etc of pieces that can't be used, but --like some roofers-- some installers give quotes for labor including the waste material they don't actually install. In your case, that would seem to be the insurance company's call, but it can make a difference for someone paying for it out of pocket.

Incidentally one other thing that has come through from several of the contractors I believe to seem trustworthy is that they do not recommend the pre-painted variety -- for a number of reasons that do seem to make sense to me.

jimb.

Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:52 am

Check the appearance of butted joints on hardi plank installations done by your contractor. Some homes in our area appear to be missing material that fits between planks to avoid the house wrap from showing. This is most apparent in cold weather when materials have contracted. In warm weather the joints are not so noticeable.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:46 pm

I am not sure what I think of vinyl. I have hardiplank.

A principal in a local vinyl installation company lived in a brick house when I was there years ago.
4nursebee

Runaway

Post by Runaway » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:26 pm

+ Hardie, Colorplus we also have it and like it. Go to the James Hardy web site and find lots of information on installation. Our experience with contractors is that some did not want to to use the per-painted (colorplus) option but IMO it was because it requires a certain amount of experience to get it right as caulking with colored caulk (instead of just painting it) and covering nail heads is all on the install crew not the painters. A Hardie trained installer should not have a problem with the colorplus system.