Riding Mower Help Needed

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Re: Riding Mower Help Needed

Post by Valdeselad »

pennstater2005 wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Which Kohler engine? I believe the Command is one of their better engines. The Courage is in most of the entry level models.
It just says "23HP/725cc Kohler V-Twin OHV Engine"
I believe that is the Kohler Command Pro. This is a great forum (link below) to peruse using the search function. I looked here quite a bit before purchasing my Husqvarna with Kawasaki engine. This is a link involving a discussion of all the different levels of Kohler motors.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=216354

And another good thread comparing Kohler vs Kawasaki engines. I went with the Kawi based on reputation for low maintenance and longevity.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/gene ... ki-vs.html
@pennstater2005 - thank you for those links, very helpful. Why do you believe this is a Kohler Command Pro?
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Anybody try one of the new electric ride ons?
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

Valdeselad wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:
Valdeselad wrote:
pennstater2005 wrote:Which Kohler engine? I believe the Command is one of their better engines. The Courage is in most of the entry level models.
It just says "23HP/725cc Kohler V-Twin OHV Engine"
I believe that is the Kohler Command Pro. This is a great forum (link below) to peruse using the search function. I looked here quite a bit before purchasing my Husqvarna with Kawasaki engine. This is a link involving a discussion of all the different levels of Kohler motors.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=216354

And another good thread comparing Kohler vs Kawasaki engines. I went with the Kawi based on reputation for low maintenance and longevity.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/gene ... ki-vs.html
@pennstater2005 - thank you for those links, very helpful. Why do you believe this is a Kohler Command Pro?
To follow up,I called Ariens and spoke to a rep. The Kohler is a 7000 series Twin which is essentially a stripped down Command -- still has the same Command architecture but is not a full spec version. The Kawasaki is a FR series engine. Both considered Prosumer versions.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

^
So which one are you leaning towards? It's amazing how many different models there are of engines…..

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecata ... 0%20Series

Upper left portion of page shows "browse by series"…..that's quite a few to browse through :o

Good luck.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

pennstater2005 wrote:^
So which one are you leaning towards? It's amazing how many different models there are of engines…..

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecata ... 0%20Series

Upper left portion of page shows "browse by series"…..that's quite a few to browse through :o

Good luck.
Leaning towards the Ariens...would save me $800 bucks and is basically an identical mower.

On other other hand, I think the Gravely would hold its value better for any potential resale down the road and I do place a high value on supporting the local business and workers.

Darn, I thought I was close to making up my mind! :oops:
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

The thing that pushed me towards the Kawasaki motor was that I have had multiple Kawasaki "small motors" on different pieces of equipment. For the most part they have all run flawlessly and still start with relative ease. I can't speak to Kohler because I've never owned one but I don't see why it wouldn't run fine.

As far as the Gravely holding it's value better, I'd say you are right.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Gravelys last forever. I have a 1987 Model 5665. That's actually a 2 wheel walk behind that takes a variety of attachments (finish mowers, snow blowers, plows, rotary mower, etc) with a 12HP Kohler engine and its even got a steering brake so its almost a zero-turn. The walk behinds are no longer made but there are still lots of used ones available, mostly East of the Mississippi. They got sold to Ariens several years ago and the quality has dropped off somewhat since then but the originals are great products.
Topic Author
Valdeselad

Post by Valdeselad »

OP here...to close the loop on this, I ended up purchasing a used 2012 JD z920A. Great ZTR mower that *should* last a really long time and perform well with the big yard. For the same money I would have spent on mid-range new, I felt I was getting a mower with top of the line components that are made to last.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

pshonore wrote:Gravelys last forever. I have a 1987 Model 5665. That's actually a 2 wheel walk behind that takes a variety of attachments (finish mowers, snow blowers, plows, rotary mower, etc) with a 12HP Kohler engine and its even got a steering brake so its almost a zero-turn. The walk behinds are no longer made but there are still lots of used ones available, mostly East of the Mississippi. They got sold to Ariens several years ago and the quality has dropped off somewhat since then but the originals are great products.
Ariens bought Gravely in 1982....so, that Gravely of yours is an Ariens.
shanefairman

Post by shanefairman »

I would say f you want something that will last you want an older garden tractor.

A garden tractor is a lot different from a lawnmower. They are much more heavy duty and will last for decades not years. I just recently purchased a 1975 Cub Cadet 1450 and look forward to using it for a few more decades.
“You must not only think for yourself, you must plan for yourself, and you must plan ahead, and you must live up to these plans. You must know exactly what you want to do.” -George Carlin, Boston Rant