Google Voice - ring lag problem

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

Google Voice - ring lag problem

Post by Browser » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:22 am

I'm using GV with my cellphone and have an annoying problem I can't solve. GV allows just 5 rings. The caller to my GV number hears all 5 rings but I only get the last 1 or 2 rings on the receiving end with my cellphone: not enough time to answer. Wondering if anyone else using GV has had this problem and if there is a fix.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

BrandonBogle

Re: Google Voice - ring lag problem

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Doesn't GV on the regular, desktop website have a setting for how long to wait till voicemail picks up? I thought the default is 25 or 30 seconds, but you could increase that to let your phone ring more often. It's been a LONG time since I set mine up, so I can't recall for sure.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Nvm. Seems changing the delay is not an option. It is fixed at 25 seconds before GV voicemail takes it. The other options would be to disable GV voicemail and then your destination phone would ring until it's voicemail picks up.

Browser

Post by Browser » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:09 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:Nvm. Seems changing the delay is not an option. It is fixed at 25 seconds before GV voicemail takes it. The other options would be to disable GV voicemail and then your destination phone would ring until it's voicemail picks up.
Thanks. I believe you're right about the delay setting. I'm going to try disabling GV voicemail and see what that does.

Rocketfella

Post by Rocketfella » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:25 pm

Is your cellphone a smartphone? If so you can install google hangouts and hear the extra three rings from the app rather than your phone.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:38 am

Rocketfella wrote:Is your cellphone a smartphone? If so you can install google hangouts and hear the extra three rings from the app rather than your phone.
Only works in iPhone. Android usersare waiting for this almost 1 year.

Mick

Post by Mick » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:23 pm

We had google voice number set to ring on a VOIP phone and had this issue. Nothing I tried could get it to work. This was some 4 years ago. My research then showed that changing the delay was a requested feature still not added. At least you are getting your money's worth, lol.

Browser

Post by Browser » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:42 am

Here's another weirdness with GV. I disabled GV voicemail to allow calls to go through to my phone voicemail. Except GV voicemail is still active after having been disabled. I've run into this before with GV. You make a change in the settings and the old setting still persist. Anybody run into this?

Browser

Post by Browser » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:02 am

Just to update. After spending hours trying to solve this problem, here's where it stands. I've been trying out two different AT&T MVNOs on my Moto-X android phone: H2O Wireless and Consumer Cellular. The ring lag problem occurs when I use H2O wireless. My Moto doesn't start ringing until the calling phone has rung 4 times, and rings only once or twice before going to voicemail -- not enough time to answer the call. I tried everything I could think of and the problem still persisted. However, when I'm using Consumer Cellular the problem does not seem to occur. Typically, the Moto starts ringing on the second ring of the calling phone and rings about 3-4 times before going to voicemail. So, there is still a lag but it is shorter and, while not great, I can usually answer the call before going to voicemail. I have no idea why there is a problem with H2O and not with Consumer Cellular, since both are AT&T MVNOs. I've searched for answers on the web but haven't found anything at all. I'll be willing to buy someone a Starbuck's who can come up with an explanation. I'd rather be using H2O Wireless than Consumer Cellular because it's cheaper. But it seems I'm locked into CC since my GV numbers is my main phone number.

sdrone

Post by sdrone » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:10 am

Browser wrote: I'd rather be using H2O Wireless than Consumer Cellular because it's cheaper. But it seems I'm locked into CC since my GV numbers is my main phone number.
Unfortunately there is often a tradeoff in quality for lower price. You're not locked in to CC; you're locked in to what you're willing to pay for.

Google is relaying your call from their carrier to another carrier. I haven't done my tests for years, but in the past there was no carrier where each google voice "ring" corresponded to a physical ring noise on your phone.

IN your case, I doubt H2O cellular has connections to every other phone company. GV's call is going to their carrier, then to ATT, then most likely to your subcarrier that is using ATT's network.

The cheaper wireless carriers are great ,but keep in mind there are reasons they are cheaper.