Kroger for Gasoline

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Leeraar

Kroger for Gasoline

Post by Leeraar » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:39 pm

We don't buy enough of anything to worry about credit card points or cash back, but we do get groceries at Kroger (SE Michigan). The deal is something like spend $100 in the store in a month (easy) and get 10 cents a gallon off a tank of gas.

Today I paid $3.199 per gallon (after the 10 cents off) at a new station they have put in at our local Kroger store. At Costco the price is $3.429 and at Speedway $3.599.

The price spread is surprising to me.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

livesoft

Re: Kroger for Gasoline

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:46 pm

Don't worry because it won't always be this way. New stations will typically have a lower ppg in order to attract new customers. Once the attraction is finished, the price will match demand. But you have contributed to the buzz to get people to try the new station out which is exactly what the lower price was supposed to do.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:05 pm

My regional supermarket (which also operates their own gas stations usually not located right at the market) gives me 10 cents for every $50 I spend on groceries. My local bank debit card gives me 3 cents more when I use it.

I rarely pay even half the normal price for gas. I've gotten full tanks for free when they offer double for gift cards purchased at Christmas time.

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:14 pm

We do the same thing and then use our Chase Freedom card to get an additional 5% off. :D

My wife usually times it so that she can fill up the truck and fill up a couple of gas cans for the mowers/ATVs at the same time. :twisted:

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:58 pm

We have Kroger gas, sold here under the Kroger/QFC/Fred Meyer brand. The way it seems to work is that I get 3 cents off per gallon when I use my loyalty card, spending $100 in a month gives me another 7 cents off for a total of 10 cents off per gallon. Right now the Kroger gas station nearest to me is selling gas for $3.88 a gallon before any discounts, Costco is a few miles down the road and they're selling it for $3.76. I usually buy my gas at Costco, using their AMEX card gives me another 3% off.

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 am

The wife and I are going to fill up our vehicles today over at out local Kroger. If the price has remained what it has been - $3.29 - then after we get our $0.30/gallon rewards discount and use our credit card that gives us an additional 5% off, our cost/gallon for today will be: $2.84.

UPDATE:

Actually recevied $0.40/gallon rewards, taking the cost/gallon down to $2.75. Filled my wife's car up completely and my F-150 was about 40% full at the time. We ended up saving ~$16.00 vs. the original $3.29 figure.

David
Last edited by TnGuy on Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

stupidkid

Post by stupidkid » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:27 am

We have King Soopers, a subsidiary of Kroger. I do like to work for credit card points and cashback and as such have the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred which yields 6% cash back at grocery stores. Using this card, I purchase gift cards (usually amazon) at King Soopers when you get 4X Fuel Points. $250 in Amazon gift cards gets me 1000 fuel points, or $1 off per gallon, in addition to the 6% cash back, so my $250 in gift cards costs $235 initially. The $1 off per gallon gets me $25 off per fill-up (I have a 26 gallon tank in my truck) plus the 3% cash back at gas stations the blue cash preferred card yields. I buy some groceries at King Soopers, but mostly it's for gift cards, makes for a lot less pain at the pump...

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:05 am

I think I'm gradually breaking the code on Kroger/KingSoopers gas reward program.

Fill up at the pump. (Don't know how folks in Oregon and NJ do this.)
-Present your reward card before your cash-back CC.
-Reward fill up limited to 35 gallons: automatic pump shutoff. (Forget flatbed trailer and 55-gallon drums.)
-Maximum of $1/gallon discount.
-Reward points/months do not roll over/accumulate, they expire if not used.
-You get the highest of last month's or this month's current reward points when you fill up.

Gas reward points for purchases.
Kroger/KingSoopers gives 10 cents off per $100 spent per month.

Gas reward points for online survey.
-Complete online survey to get additional 10 cents off gas reward points for that month.
-On grocery receipt, find customer online survey info. Survey takes 5-10 minutes, requires receipt info.
-Online survey limited to once every 7 days, not grocery purchase dated: mark survey(s) on calendar.
-You must enter your reward card number to add points to it: use number on card back, not front.

(Edit) Gift cards.
No grocery gift card is eligible for reward points when purchased. A Visa gift card is eligible for the reward program, can be used to purchase groceries, but carried a 5% activation fee.

Shell.
Shell stations here give 10/gallon discount if I present my KingSoopers card at the pump.

Buying gas at Shell does not diminish card reward balance; I do this when I only need one quick little can of gas and want to save my gas reward points for later fill up.

(Edit) Gas/grocery cards.
One of the Amex Blue CCs--$75? annual fee--offers 6% on groceries, 3% on gas, 1% everything else. Enough extra cash-back---over 1% cards---could offset the annual fee.

Checked my Managing Your Money program for annual spending on gas/groceries and it looks to be worthwhile to apply for it.

Possible problem. On the Amex website, some reviewers said Amex CC did not recognize gas purchased from Fred Meyers as eligible for 3% cash back: treated at other. Need to double check for KingSoopers/Krogers before applying.

I'm going today. Will take my vehicle and 3 gas cans.
Should get 50 cents off/gallon (purchases + online surveys) and will use my Freedom card for another 5%.
$3.57 at the pump should translate into $2.89 in the tank ($3.57 - 0.50 - .15x3.57 = 2.89).

Last month was the first time I tried to time my pantry restocking and online surveys to maximize my gas reward points for use this month: just draining gas tanks this month, so using last month's points to fill up. With a full tank and gas cans, can go ~2 months between fill ups. Plan to do this again in September to take advantage of the Freedom card's last promotion month.

Next time I'm shooting for $1/gallon off (normal purchases + pantry restock + surveys).

That's as much as I've figured out.

Update.
Just back from buying gas.
No grocery gift card is eligible for the reward program at purchase.
Don't go on the last day of the month: long lines, slow pumps.
Don't go at lunch hour.
Be aware of hours of operation. Went by late last night attempting to avoid lines. No joy.
Everything else worked as expected.
Last edited by dratkinson on Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:14 am

livesoft wrote:Don't worry because it won't always be this way. New stations will typically have a lower ppg in order to attract new customers. Once the attraction is finished, the price will match demand. But you have contributed to the buzz to get people to try the new station out which is exactly what the lower price was supposed to do.
Kroger has been doing this for over two years. Even if you don't accumulate any points Kroger customers get a discount compared to others. I've been racking up the points this month because I do my MIL's shopping for her every other week, and Kroger is giving double points in July for Fri, Sat and Sun purchases. I just went this morning to get a couple more things to put me up to the $1.00 per gallon discount on my next gas purchase.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:35 am

I use a Walmart credit card for gas purchases only .Local stations @ Walmart in Tennessee with card are .15 off per gallon.
Last regular fill was 3.10 :happy
Diesel for the RV 3.30 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm

Stop and Shop (New England) also does this. Each $100 of cumulative spending gets 10 cents off per gallon (good for 30 days). They do have special deals in addition every week; get 5X the gas points on certain purchases, buy 7 of a number of specified items and get 40 cents off per gallon. Best deal is 5X the gas points on Gift Cards (Best Buy, restaurants, HD, Movies, Itunes, Amazon, etc, but never their own S&S Gift card and the cards are different week.) Use your AX Blue to pay and get an additional 6% reward (on the groceries + gift cards) from AX. Got $2.20 off (the max) per gallon on 28 gallons last week (23 gallons in my pick up and 5 in a gas can to mow grass). Max is 35 gallons. (I've come close a few times)

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:49 pm

Ah, so I'm not the only boglehead at the stop & shop gas station with 3 six gallon cans and a 20 gallon tank running on fumes, huh?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:08 pm

We have been shopping only at Kroger, and actively using their gas program, since we moved to TN in 2010. We drive a reasonable amount so the program is helpful. Oftentimes we get 4x the points for buying gift cards as well. 100 points equals $.10/gal, so if you buy $100 of gift cards when it is 4x, that is 400 points or $.40/gal x 35 gals, or an immediate savings on your $100 of $14. I then buy the discounted gas using my H-D Visa and I get an extra 5% back in rewards. We do this as often as 3x per month if we did a lot of shopping and gift card buying. Since you can use up to a $1/gal each time with a maximum of 35 gals, that is $35 per fillup, and three times per month on a good month would be saving $105 just from Kroger's. Sweet program and many thanks to Kroger's.

BTW, I make sure we get the $35. I have multiple 5 gal gas cans for anything over what the truck or SUV might need. That way I fill up the wife's SUV in the garage when it gets low, or use them on the lawn tractor.

ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:12 pm

pshonore » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:43 pm
Use your AX Blue to pay and get an additional 6% reward (on the groceries + gift cards) from AX.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We use Blue at the checkout, and also get 5% when we use the pump from our H-D Visa. As you know, Amex Blue will not give you 6% at the Kroger gas pumps, only at the store checkout when you buy the cards.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 pm

cheese_breath wrote:roger has been doing this for over two years.
I do use Kroger reward points when I buy gas. That was not my point.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:25 am

I am always fascinated by those who sacrifice quality in order to save a few pennies at the pump (and may spend dollars at the shop fixing problems caused by low quality gas).

http://www.toptiergas.com

Be sure to check out the "retailers" tab to see the list of top tier suppliers.

... Fletch
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 am

Fletch wrote:I am always fascinated by those who sacrifice quality in order to save a few pennies at the pump (and may spend dollars at the shop fixing problems caused by low quality gas).

http://www.toptiergas.com

Be sure to check out the "retailers" tab to see the list of top tier suppliers.

... Fletch
When port fuel injection was introduced in the 1980s, fuel injector clogging became a major problem. Very soon (but after a lot of finger pointing) gasoline additives became a competitive issue for gasoline companies.

By the way, at GM we tested gasoline for quality of the additive package and other issues. The best gasoline we found is not anywhere in the list of "Top Tier" retailers.

And, by the way, the EPA requirements for additives are for emissions and are not the same as the requirements to prevent mechanical issues like carbon buildup in the intake system components.

And, by the way, the gasoline you can buy locally likely comes from a regional refinery. It's all the same, except for the claimed secret sauce (and ethanol) added (or not) after it is branded by the distributors.

L.

MnD

Post by MnD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:18 am

Costco is always priced under Kroger in our part of town.
We also get the 4% off with the Costco Amex, but that works at Kroger also.

We usually accumulate about 40-cents off per gallon at Kroger which would make Kroger cheaper for one fill, but about 1/2 the time forget to use them and they expire. :annoyed

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:30 am

MnD wrote:Costco is always priced under Kroger in our part of town.
We also get the 4% off with the Costco Amex, but that works at Kroger also.

We usually accumulate about 40-cents off per gallon at Kroger which would make Kroger cheaper for one fill, but about 1/2 the time forget to use them and they expire. :annoyed
One thing to note is that the Kroger discount is just that: A lower price. It is not a card rebate you have to wait for.

Another thing we did for our teenager: Get a Speedway gasoline only card. We load it with our Costco credit card, getting a rebate, and when he uses it the price is 3 cents per gallon off. (At least that is the way I think it works.)

L.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:42 am

Steelersfan wrote:My regional supermarket (which also operates their own gas stations usually not located right at the market) gives me 10 cents for every $50 I spend on groceries. My local bank debit card gives me 3 cents more when I use it.

I rarely pay even half the normal price for gas. I've gotten full tanks for free when they offer double for gift cards purchased at Christmas time.
Agreed, though ours has a station right next to the grocery store. The 3 cents off when using the advantage card but not FuelPerks is also night, though I liked the now retired % off food for 10 gallons better but agree it was confusing.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:05 am

Steelersfan wrote:My regional supermarket (which also operates their own gas stations usually not located right at the market) gives me 10 cents for every $50 I spend on groceries. My local bank debit card gives me 3 cents more when I use it.

I'm also in Steeler Country and do the same deal...lots of free gas. But I don't celebrate it cuz it means my wife is spending too much on groceries!

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 am

My wife typically buys gas at Kroger and saves $0.10-$0.20 /gallon. She probably only fills up every 3-4 weeks though (which is nice).

I'm fortunate enough to have company car/gas so I don't worry about it....I just get gas when and where I need it.

MnD

Post by MnD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:42 am

I know several parents who have teen kids that "steal" their Kroger discounts by entering the home phone number when they fill up. :mrgreen:

frenchje

Post by frenchje » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:16 pm

My wife and I use the points regularly. We usually time it out so both cars are near empty and fill both at the same time (~32-34 gal usually).

We also have the Amex Blue Cash card with 6%/3%/1% that we use for these purchases.

It was really nice during the Fri-Sun double points we got up to $.80 off per gal at one point.

Sometimes I've seen them advertise 4x points on gift cards (usually around holidays I believe) though I haven't actually bought them to make sure you get points for gift cards.

You also don't get points on any alcohol purchases :(.

Funny story related to points. For while it seemed like we would build up points and every time we would go to use the points to fill up they would be gone. We canceled our cards a couple times and it kept happening. Someone was stealing our points and we were getting mad! Eventually we closed down our account and opened a new one with no phone numbers or email addresses linked since apparently it kept linking to an old account automatically in their system that someone else was using. Shortly after we completely closed the account my father-in-law told us about his latest experience shopping at Kroger. He had gotten a whole cart full of groceries, gotten to the checkout and before finalizing the sale, he tried to use his card to get the points. His card no longer worked and when he asked they told him his account no longer existed. He was so mad he walked out and left all of his groceries right at the register and went home without them. When we put two and two together my wife's parents were the ones who kept "stealing" our points and apparently because she had linked her phone number to their account every time we opened a new one their system automatically connected ours to theirs. It was hilarious once we figured everything out.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:58 pm

So here’s one of those stupid occasions where my emotions are fighting my reason. I have a $1.00 per gallon discount I can use this month. My Silverado has a 26 gallon gas tank but only gets so-so mileage. My Impala has a smaller tank but gets better mileage. I don’t drive enough in a month to drain both tanks. So do I drive the Silverado down to empty so I can get a better bang for the buck even though it will cost me more than the Impala? Or do I drive the Impala down to empty so I can pay less, but I won’t get as much discount?

rhoptry

Post by rhoptry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 pm

I have taken as many as three cars to use up the 35 gallons. One person holds the pump nozzle while the other two move cars up the line. Rules don't allow more than one car, but "That's not posted on the pump". Seems unfair that a large-tanked vehicle can put in 35 gal without "bending" the rules, but I can't. Guess I'll get some 5-gal gas cans, too.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Just make sure your 5 gallon cans can fit in your trunk. I have a nice big 6 Imperial gallon can that's so tall it won't fit into my Impala. I have to take it in the truck.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:36 pm

cheese_breath wrote:So here’s one of those stupid occasions where my emotions are fighting my reason. I have a $1.00 per gallon discount I can use this month. My Silverado has a 26 gallon gas tank but only gets so-so mileage. My Impala has a smaller tank but gets better mileage. I don’t drive enough in a month to drain both tanks. So do I drive the Silverado down to empty so I can get a better bang for the buck even though it will cost me more than the Impala? Or do I drive the Impala down to empty so I can pay less, but I won’t get as much discount?
Solution. You have 2 vehicles. Both need gas. Your biggest bang for the discount buck is to fill the vehicle that will hold the most at fill up. Or fill both at the same time to get the 35 gallons. Or take some 6-gallon cans with you when you fill up which every vehicle.

Refueling a vehicle from 6-gallon cans can be done but it's cumbersome, messy, and quickly gets old. So I built a refueling station.

My refueling station. A garage workbench sits beside my vehicle. Built a wooden tray to sit on top of workbench and under a 6-gallon can that holds it at an angle so one corner is lowest point. A *siphon hose with attached bulb hand pump easily starts fuel transfer. A stiff piece of copper wire inserted into the hose intake end keeps hose stiff and intake end positions in the lowest point of the fuel can so it empties almost completely. The few drops remaining after refueling are poured into a 2-gallon can for mower/snowblower. Between refuelings, the tray and siphon hose hang on a garage rafter nail.
  • * Siphon hose left over from a failed experiment to siphon gas from my '90 vehicle. Plan was to use vehicle as tanker for generator during power outage. Learned you can't siphon from newer vehicles and it's dangerous to attempt to splice into vehicle fuel line: high pressure fuel/pumps required by fuel injection and possible damage to pump computer controls. Too many problems to attempt.

Only safe way to access modern tank's gas is to drop tank and install new top-tank fitting allowing siphoning. Also too much trouble, so 6-gallon cans it is.
Refueling tray. 1/2" plywood and 3 2x4s (scraps). Plywood tray sized to hold 6-gallon gas can and 2x4 lips. 2 2x4s form top tray corner lips at the lower point to hold can in place. 1 2x4 under tray to provide tilt to create lower corner/bottom on held can. Drywall screws through plywood tray attach 2x4s. Hole (opposite lower corner) in plywood tray for garage rafter nail.

Harbor Freight clear siphon hose (can see fuel flowing) with attached bulb fuel pump. A piece of 14-gauge copper electrical wire (insulation removed) inserted into hose intake end. Wire long enough to extend out of can top so I can control placement of hose end into tilted can's lower corner/bottom. Small formed hook in wire end on hose intake end, grips hose, prevents wire from sliding into hose and provides small clearance to keep hose end off can bottom: can jam hose on can bottom and know clearance exists.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:52 pm

dratkinson wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:So here’s one of those stupid occasions where my emotions are fighting my reason. I have a $1.00 per gallon discount I can use this month. My Silverado has a 26 gallon gas tank but only gets so-so mileage. My Impala has a smaller tank but gets better mileage. I don’t drive enough in a month to drain both tanks. So do I drive the Silverado down to empty so I can get a better bang for the buck even though it will cost me more than the Impala? Or do I drive the Impala down to empty so I can pay less, but I won’t get as much discount?
Solution. You have 2 vehicles. Both need gas. Your biggest bang for the discount buck is to fill the vehicle that will hold the most at fill up. Or fill both at the same time to get the 35 gallons. Or take some 6-gallon cans with you when you fill up which every vehicle.
That's the issue. They both don't need gas. I don't drive that much in a month. I will probably go through almost a tank in either one, but not both.

Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 pm

So throw a few gallons to a friend.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Our local Kroger gas station has a sign on the pumps that prohibits fueling more than one vehicle on a single purchase.

Given the lengths that people will go to to get the discount, I am reminded of the saying, "We will save money, no matter what it costs".

L.

shawcroft

Supermarket Gasoline

Post by shawcroft » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:13 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Ah, so I'm not the only boglehead at the stop & shop gas station with 3 six gallon cans and a 20 gallon tank running on fumes, huh?
Jack:
No, you are not the only Boglehead that does stuff like that.....I'm in Connecticut and I see folks doing that!
Shawcroft