Here's another "where should I retire" thread

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Here's another "where should I retire" thread

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I might be premature in posting this, but the chance exists that my wife might decide to retire. I have not worked for a paycheck for many years. Realistically, I don't think that we'd move until our youngest heads off to college, two years from now. We are in the lucky position that retiring almost anywhere is financially feasible.

I don't want to have the tax tail wag the lifestyle dog, but a brief blurry snapshot of our financials:
- We don't have a mortgage or other debts. Should be able to easily sell home for $1.5M.
- Kids' college accounts are sufficient.
- Tax deferred and taxable accounts roughly 50/50; total is in the middle 7 digits.
- SS will be roughly $65k per year. I'm already drawing.
- Pensions will be roughly $65k per year, not indexed to inflation.
- Once each year a window opens up wherein my wife is entitled to announce a "career retirement" (which requires her to not work for a competitor). This vests her in her involuntarily deferred comp (nearly 7 digit amount) and pays for lifetime medical (once a big deal, but ACA has minimized the effects of pre-existing conditions).

My wife continues to work for complicated reasons having less to do with money than her identity, satisfaction in solving complex problems, etc. I would enjoy spending more time with her, but it is her choice when to retire.

Where to live is the question I'd like some help with. When possible in my list of preferences, I've already made compromises (e.g., her beach house and my mountain home became a lakefront home), but let me be clear, her wishes trump mine (I.e., she likes lakes almost as much as the ocean).

Lakefront home, probably one that prohibits jet skis and loud motor boats.

Access to town, but enough outside of town for privacy. Good running trails are a big plus (my wife loves to run, and has many times trained for and run in events where nobody has the sense to stop her before she's run 26.2 miles). Her perfect end to a run is to jump in a pool, lake, or ocean. My perfect morning, by contrast to my wife's 7 mile run, is to sit out back with our dogs, drinking coffee, listening to the birds, and reading the paper.

Neither one of us likes hot & muggy, but we are open to having two homes (Maine and someplace warm?). Hot and dry is okay.

I think 3 bedrooms is probably acceptable, 4 is fine also. Amenities are appreciated.

I like to observe people, interact with them, and eavesdrop. I'd prefer to eavesdrop on and interact with college students rather than old people with a catalog of medical complaints. We're not politically active, but we'd probably be more comfortable in blue surroundings than red.

Proximity to an international airport is a plus, proximity to a good airport is a must. Our family is 80/20 east / west coast (kids are all east coast); international travel is much more likely to Europe than Asia (that could change, but that's been our history).

I want something turnkey. My father gave his "handy gene" to my sister. Low or no maintenance, or a local supply of reasonable handymen and contractors, are necessary.

I know it's early but I wanted to at least Google some areas. FIL lives in Bucks County PA and we like the old stone houses. Sister moved to Eugene OR and tells me to not make a decision before visiting.

Ideas welcomed.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.
midareff

Re: Here's another "where should I retire" thread

Post by midareff »

While family is a major consideration so is climate. I think I like fewer rainy and snowy days and warmer weather. Without recommending a location why don't you and wife focus on the things you like to do recreationally. Perhaps, make a list. Then find an area, or maybe two areas, that provide greatest access to the things you like to do. As an example, if you like to walk the beach and ride bicycles in the mountains maybe you want a Florida beach community and a home in the mountains of NC.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Clearly, you have to live in at least 3 places. I suggest Montreal, a country estate in the UK, a nice expensive part of San Diego and a condo in Hawaii. You might as well get shore property in Maine as well.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

livesoft wrote:Clearly, you have to live in at least 3 places. I suggest Montreal, a country estate in the UK, a nice expensive part of San Diego and a condo in Hawaii. You might as well get shore property in Maine as well.
If you can get all of that on our assets, we might have to hire you as our real estate maven.

I looked briefly into moving to Canada -- it's much easier for someone working in one of their desirable professions than as a retired couple (investor class). FIL and MIL were Montreal residents, but gave up their citizenship some years ago. I didn't look into it as a 4th home :D

Re country estate in the UK: I've thought of Scotland. Wonderful scenery, flinty but friendly people, I'd consider it for a part-time but not 12 months / year.
Last edited by TomatoTomahto on Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Ithaca NY - has the lakes, the colleges, the beauty, the quirkiness. Big enough to have things and people, small enough to feel like you got away.
You will need somewhere else to spend the winters though
spartanap

Post by spartanap »

www.findyourspot.com is a pretty comprehensive website that might help give you some ideas.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

@midareff, I like the mountains and riding a bike, but I much prefer riding on relatively flat ground :D

My parents spent the second half of their retirement in Florida. It seemed crowded to me.

But, I take your point, rather than a particular location, consider what we want to do and then think of where that's close at hand.
irishbear99

Post by irishbear99 »

If you can tolerate the rain, Portland, OR, might be a good spot. You have Mt. Hood to the east, Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier to the north, the Sisters to the south, and the coast to the west. Not lakes, but the Willamette and the Columbia Rivers intersect in Portland. Lots of hiking and bike trails; tons of indoor and outdoor stuf to do; PSU is right there for your eavesdropping enjoyment; very nice international airport; summers are gorgeous and it snows very little (in the city itself, that is) in the winter. It is extremely blue, which may or may not be within your comfort level. My husband and I lived there for six years and loved it. As long as you can put up with the rain and the naked bike ride, it's a fun city.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

spartanap wrote:http://www.findyourspot.com is a pretty comprehensive website that might help give you some ideas.
I answered all of their questions, but could not pass the CAPTCHA test at the end. They asked a lot of sensible questions; I was looking forward to the answer.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Retirement does not have to be in a secluded place. The best retirement is in major cities, when you finally have time to explore everything they have to offer. If you accept this premise, let me position Washington, DC, as a candidate for your upcoming retirement.

1. Major cities along the East Coast include: DC, Philadelphia, NYC, Boston, and Montreal. DC is the South-most of these cities meaning that it has the warmest winters. In summer, you will travel to Europe and other places, thus avoiding DC summers.

2. If you live in Georgetown, you will have a university, a hill, a waterfront, and a biking trail, a 184-mile flat path along Chesapeake & Ohio Canal.

3. DC has a good public transportation network, good hospitals and well-connected airports. You are a couple hours away from NYC by train.

4. DC has many unique attractions. The Smithsonian is not just several superb free museums but also an organization offering fantastic lectures, courses, and trips. Embassies have numerous programs. Thinktanks offer a wide variety of lectures.

5. DC has highly educated population and is very international.

Best wishes with your decision,
Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
midareff

Post by midareff »

TomatoTomahto wrote:@midareff, I like the mountains and riding a bike, but I much prefer riding on relatively flat ground :D

My parents spent the second half of their retirement in Florida. It seemed crowded to me.

Depends on where.... I've been in Miami for 50 years and looking for relocation now that I'm retired. Too crowded here but many places in Florida have the weather and a much quieter community :D

But, I take your point, rather than a particular location, consider what we want to do and then think of where that's close at hand.
Exactly, the location we have zeroed in on is a fit for what we like to do and the lifestyle we want. Good luck with your search, moving isn't easy.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
spartanap wrote:http://www.findyourspot.com is a pretty comprehensive website that might help give you some ideas.
I answered all of their questions, but could not pass the CAPTCHA test at the end. They asked a lot of sensible questions; I was looking forward to the answer.
I filled out all the questions until they required my name, address, email, and other information before they'd give me a suggestion. They should have warned about that in the beginning. No thanks.
Alskar

Post by Alskar »

A few suggestions come to mind:

1. Grants Pass, Oregon. Combines the mountains you enjoy with the Rogue river and a few lakes.
2. Sisters, Oregon in Central, Oregon.
3. Bend, Oregon near sisters, but a larger city
4. Ashland, Oregon. Many of the Microsoft millionaires retired in Ashland. Similar to Grants Pass.
5. Summit County, Colorado. Mountain lakes and lots of fresh air.

None of these are close to an international airport, but have commuter flights to Portland, OR and SFO.

Hope that helps!
Lagom är bäst
cfs

Post by cfs »

I found the place.

Take a look at Imperial Beach, California (San Diego County).

Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

@VictoriaF, I lived in and around DC for ~15 years (DuPont Circle, Kalorama Triangle, Adams Morgan) and also Rockville, Arlington, etc. I've lived and worked in and near NYC for almost 30 years. I'm done with cities -- they can be great, but I'm done with them as a place to live or work. Vive le Internet!
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

@Irishbear99, I thought I could tolerate the rain, but then I watched The Killing. Highly recommended show available on Netflix, but just about every scene takes place in heavy rain, which might just be for dramatic effect. I like rain (the sound of it on the roof in the evening is wonderful), but I like to dry out every now and then.
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

Aaarrrrggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer their questions - which takes quite awhile - and once you are done they REQUIRE a LOT of personal information about you before they tell you anything.

The answers to their questions gives them A LOT of information about you which along with the personal information they then require will give them an amazing amount of personally identifiable personal information - which I assume they get a lot for when they sell it.
I don't know anything.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

Here's what FindYourSpot came up with:
Charleston, West Virginia
Frederick, Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Washington, District of Columbia
Eugene, Oregon
Corvallis, Oregon
Danbury, Connecticut
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Salem, Oregon
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Providence, Rhode Island
Medford, Oregon
Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Hartford, Connecticut
Reno, Nevada
New Haven, Connecticut
Worcester, Massachusetts
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut

Some make sense, some are "not in this lifetime." I guess I overstated that I like college towns. :D
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

No advice on location but I would advise to please not move into an area and try to make it the way you think it "should" be.

I have seen and heard of quite a few people who retire from HCOL areas (chiefly blue state cities) into LCOL areas (chiefly red state rural) and spend the vast majority of their time not liking and being a thorn in each others sides.

Don't move next to a farm and complain about the tractors and smell of farm animals and try to get laws changed.

Don't move into an area with high firearm ownership and hunting traditions and complain about gunfire/hunting and try to get laws changed.

Don't move into an area with public outdoor use areas and complain about the vehicle noise.

Don't buy a small piece of land and put a huge expensive home on it and complain about what your neighbors do on their property.

It works out much better for both groups. :D
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

We relocated in retirement a few miles south of Charlotte NC in Union County. My wife and I grew up in NYC and lived in the DC Metro area for 35 years (Alexandria, Fairfax, F'burg and Arlington). So we had similar concerns about not living in another big metropolitan area but we wanted some cultural amenities of a decent sized city. You might want to check out Lake Wylie or Lake Norman, west of Charlotte and very close to CLT, a growing international airport (we're actually flying out from CLT to Paris and flying back from Barcelona to CLT this Sept and our kids have flown from CA to CLT this summer to visit us). The area seems to attract lots of sports enthusiasts, runners and bikers. The cost of living is cheap compared to DC or NYC so you can have an outrageous mansion on the Lakes. The area surrounding Charlotte is more Purple than Red or Blue with a huge influx of transplants. But make no mistake this is the South, not Northern Virginia or Montgomery County.

If you really want Blue in NC and hang out with transplanted retired flower people and artists from the 1960's, try Asheville NC. Your wife can also run ultra marathons in the Mountains there and affix a 100.0 to her car! :sharebeer
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

ChrisC wrote:We relocated in retirement a few miles south of Charlotte NC in Union County. My wife and I grew up in NYC and lived in the DC Metro area for 35 years (Alexandria, Fairfax, F'burg and Arlington). So we had similar concerns about not living in another big metropolitan area but we wanted some cultural amenities of a decent sized city. You might want to check out Lake Wylie or Lake Norman, west of Charlotte and very close to CLT, a growing international airport (we're actually flying out from CLT to Paris and flying back from Barcelona to CLT this Sept and our kids have flown from CA to CLT this summer to visit us). The area seems to attract lots of sports enthusiasts, runners and bikers. The cost of living is cheap compared to DC or NYC so you can have an outrageous mansion on the Lakes. The area surrounding Charlotte is more Purple than Red or Blue with a huge influx of transplants. But make no mistake this is the South, not Northern Virginia or Montgomery County.

If you really want Blue in NC and hang out with transplanted retired flower people and artists from the 1960's, try Asheville NC. Your wife can also run ultra marathons in the Mountains there and affix a 100.0 to her car! :sharebeer
I live in Charlotte area and second this area for the reasons cited. The lakes are great, you are 2 hours to the mountains and 3 hours to the coast. Charlotte is in the south, which is hot and muggy in the summer. But if your wife can run marathons, I think she will adapt easily and you probably can too. The hot and muggy weather usually is about 2 months from mid June to mid August. Fall and Spring weather is great and winters are relatively mild. Check us out.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

My only suggestion is to avoid two homes. You can travel more to make up for not having the second home. I know that sometimes you sort of fall into owning a second home and it may be be convenient to sell it, at least in the short run. Or you might buy a second home early for various reasons, in preparation for retirement. But to go out and intentionally create the situation where you're just living in two geographically distant places for the long term can definitely complicate your life.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

@johnep and ChrisC, I will add the Charlotte area to my list. 2 months of hot and humid is tolerable for us, and most likely we would use some of that time to travel.

We wound up rescuing a pit mix puppy recently (long story, but fwiw, I was anti pit until very recently) and she has more difficulty with the heat and humidity than I do!
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

@tibbitts, talk to livesoft; he wants me in 4 or 5 houses! I would not be surprised if we lived in one place and took extended vacations in various places with climates different from what we are getting sick of at home. The logistics of more than one house are not something I want to deal with; my view is that's what rental apartments are for.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Since Maryland came up on your list, I hear that Columbia, MD is one of the original master-planned communities.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

@alaskar, thanks for those, I'll run them past my sister.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Have you factored in the possibility of grandkids in the future? I know someday, per my wife, it will factor into where we move :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

pennstater2005 wrote:Have you factored in the possibility of grandkids in the future? I know someday, per my wife, it will factor into where we move :D
I would factor it in if I knew where my kids were going to wind up. Right now it appears they'll mostly stay on the east coast, but who knows? Wanting extra bedrooms and being near an airport is partially to allow for them to conveniently visit us.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

ChrisC wrote:. The area surrounding Charlotte is more Purple than Red or Blue with a huge influx of transplants.
What does Purple Red and Blue refer too?
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

fmzip wrote:
ChrisC wrote:. The area surrounding Charlotte is more Purple than Red or Blue with a huge influx of transplants.
What does Purple Red and Blue refer too?
Political terms which forum rules prohibit an explanation.
All the Best, | Joe
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

pennstater2005 wrote:Have you factored in the possibility of grandkids in the future? I know someday, per my wife, it will factor into where we move :D
If you have a very attractive home in a good surrounding area that has good recreational activities and things to do, your kids and grandkids will either move to your area or visit you more frequently than if you lived in their areas. Seriously, I would not move to any of the places where my three kids are planting some roots (NYC, San Fran, or Los Angeles), especially since during the course of their lifetimes I'm sure they will move several times. And how would you decide that it's best to move to one child's area as opposed to another child's area -- seems like that would be problematic for a family with multiple kids-- I know it would be in my family where each child believes in parity among children and where there are no favorite children.

I think the best thing to do is to make yourself happy and content with your place of residence. If you're happy, I'm sure your kids will be happy about that if you've raised them to be happy and responsible adults.
Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata »

TomatoTomahto wrote:@Irishbear99, I thought I could tolerate the rain, but then I watched The Killing. Highly recommended show available on Netflix, but just about every scene takes place in heavy rain, which might just be for dramatic effect. I like rain (the sound of it on the roof in the evening is wonderful), but I like to dry out every now and then.
Don't believe it. Seattle doesn't have a lot of rain, it just spreads out what it has over nine months. It's overcast a lot, and if that's a problem, it's probably not a great fit. But the rain is more like drizzle, and real downpours are not common. Hard, consistent rain is actually something I miss from my days in Boston, which gets more annual rainfall than Seattle. Boston just gets it all in small, intense bursts.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Suggestions all relatively small college towns.
with international airports with an hour's drive.

Ames , Ia. Des Moines airport 30 min away
Get to see lots of pres. candidates state half red/ half blue
Is that purple?

Lawrence, Kansas. Kansas City airport about one hour away
Red state I believe

Boulder , Co. Denver airport just over one hour away
Close to skiing not much water though , but also
low humidity.
Liberal town in a red state or maybe libertarian , depends on
who you ask.
Don't know how you stand on wacky weed though.

With all three you may want a southern home if you don't like snow
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

I have dear friends who retired in Williamsburg, VA. They love it. William and Mary College, Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown, etc. I live on the west coast, and if it weren't for family here, I'd retire there in a heartbeat.
l2ridehd

Post by l2ridehd »

My thoughts and rational trying to make the same decision. I am in a similar situation with somewhat less assets, but close. Lake house. NH vs Maine. Much more tax friendly. Love the lakes in Maine and owned a place on Sebago for a while, but moved to Ossipee lake NH to be more tax friendly. Place where it's warm. This was a tough one for me as I have lots of diverse warm weather desires. Golf, sailing, running, hiking, and like to stay busy. I looked at island living and decided it was fine for vacation but not long term. Ended up in The Villages, Florida. Lots to do, lots of golf, lots and lots of activities, close to a major airport in Orlando and close enough to the ocean to make frequent day trips for beach and sailing. Plus another tax friendly state.

At some point in the future the back and forth travel each season will be onerous and I will stay in Florida. I actually don't mind the summers there. Humidity is less than where I lived in VA and the breezes seem to come through every day. Plus the ability to go everywhere in your golf cart sold me.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

Check out these...you've got the lakes, near college towns and airports within a short drive.

http://www.lmoavoice.org/ -- Lake Monticello (near Charlottesville, VA)

http://www.lakeannaguide.com/ -- Lake Anna (near Richmond, VA)

http://www.smithmountainlake.com/ -- Smith Mountain Lake (near Lynchburg/Roanoke, VA)

Good luck with your choice!
travellight

Post by travellight »

I was just visiting a friend on Peaks island near Portland, Maine. I could envision having waterfront property anywhere in that area. We went to a dinner party (lobster bake) at a grand home in Cape Elizabeth which would be a dream retirement house to me.

I also thought of Lake Tahoe on the no tax Nevada side but it is not on the east coast. lake Arrowhead is similar and is near LA.
gks

Post by gks »

TT,

Before you commit yourselves and move, you might want to rent a place in the area for a few months to see if you really like it. I once thought it would be nice to live on the ocean, but after staying on Padre Island 100 yards from the surf, we couldn't see out of the windows of our 5th wheel after a week and the bikes rusted because of the salt spray. We decided we much preferred fresh water.

Greg
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

fmzip wrote: What does Purple Red and Blue refer too?
You might have to ask the OP.
We're not politically active, but we'd probably be more comfortable in blue surroundings than red.
ks289

Post by ks289 »

TomatoTomahto wrote:Here's what FindYourSpot came up with:
Charleston, West Virginia
Frederick, Maryland
Baltimore, Maryland
Gaithersburg, Maryland
Washington, District of Columbia
Eugene, Oregon
Corvallis, Oregon
Danbury, Connecticut
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Salem, Oregon
Sheboygan, Wisconsin
Providence, Rhode Island
Medford, Oregon
Boston, Massachusetts
Portland, Oregon
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Hartford, Connecticut
Reno, Nevada
New Haven, Connecticut
Worcester, Massachusetts
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
Cambridge, Massachusetts
Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut

Some make sense, some are "not in this lifetime." I guess I overstated that I like college towns. :D
Living right in those New England cities may not be the most desirable thing- cost, convenience, safety, etc. whereas inner suburbs of those cities may be preferable. Essentially instead of living where the undergraduates/grad students live, you live where many of the professors live.
Yes there are certain neighborhoods in any of these cities which may give you the best of everything, but often that comes at much higher cost.

for example
Boston -Newton
Cambridge -Lexington
Worcester -Shrewsbury
Providence -Barrington
etc
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

travellight wrote:I was just visiting a friend on Peaks island near Portland, Maine. I could envision having waterfront property anywhere in that area. We went to a dinner party (lobster bake) at a grand home in Cape Elizabeth which would be a dream retirement house to me.

I also thought of Lake Tahoe on the no tax Nevada side but it is not on the east coast. lake Arrowhead is similar and is near LA.
In the past, my kids went to camp in Maine, and one of the highlights of the year was dropping them off and picking them up. How much lobster can one family eat in a few days? Quite a bit as it turns out.

In my eavesdropping mode I quite like what the older Maine folks talk about -- they don't seem to be in everyone's business as the stereotype of small town people would have it.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ks289 wrote:Essentially instead of living where the undergraduates/grad students live, you live where many of the professors live.
I like the sound of that. Close enough to drive to a hockey game, far enough away to have a bit of land.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

sscritic wrote:
We're not politically active, but we'd probably be more comfortable in blue surroundings than red.
Good gosh, sscritic, don't get me in trouble :oops: . I thought about it before I wrote it, and figured that it was sufficiently low-key while still making the point I wanted to make about my preferences.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I missed the part about what you don't like about where you live now. Is moving a requirement?

How do the suggested cities rank in terms of what you don't like, rather than what you do?
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

TomatoTomahto wrote:
sscritic wrote:
Good gosh, sscritic, don't get me in trouble :oops: . I thought about it before I wrote it, and figured that it was sufficiently low-key while still making the point I wanted to make about my preferences.
I saw nothing wrong with your statement. It was not political. Many people like to find like minded people to live among (although some claim that is a problem for our society). Note the suggestion not to move near gun owners if you are not comfortable around gun owners. That wasn't political advice, just common sense. Now I have never picked where I live based on colors, but then I live in California and don't want to live in the Central Valley. Basically, I never had a choice.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I'll put my vote for NW Phoenix. We have stayed in and love Anthem, AZ. Population 21,000. About 25 miles north of Phoenix, it is a quiet community just before you start heading up the mountains toward Sedona.

Easy access to Phoenix, very reasonable house prices and cost of living. Lots of flight options in and out. Gorgeous weather. We have visited different times of the year. We even went in July to see if it was "too hot". I loved the warm and dry heat. This is not your high humidity, feel sticky when you walk outside weather. Long time residents may say it is "too hot", but I will take too hot over a long winter any day.

4 bedroom, newer houses for $200k, add a pool and it might go up to $230k. I love the surrounding mountains. Amenities, quiet and golf courses. Worth checking out.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

There are lots of good suggestions here about college towns near lakes on the east coast, from Ithaca/Finger lakes to Charlottesville/Lake Monticello. My wife and I initially thought about relocating to a college town area (we have very good memories of Ithaca/Cornell, Annapolis/USNA and St. John's College, Williamsburg/Virginia Beach-William and Mary College) and we actually set our sights on Chapel Hill/UNC-Duke with a realtor, but in the end we decided that we'd probably not take great advantage of the college town atmosphere and we rather age in neighborhood with a mix of children, working adults, and retirees, near a city, with cultural amenities, good medical facilities, good transportation access to an airport, rail or the interstate. And not too far from colleges and universities (and Charlotte has many, including a Johnson & Wales which has a culinary arts school which I plan to take good advantage).

The place we settled into is probably not our forever home (though it will be our forever home for my MIL moving in with us this October). But I think for the next 10-15 years we'll get our money's worth and enjoy it immensely. But I do think this area, barring unforeseen circumstances will be our forever area.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

sscritic wrote:I missed the part about what you don't like about where you live now. Is moving a requirement?

How do the suggested cities rank in terms of what you don't like, rather than what you do?
I don't dislike where I live, and my wife has a very strong attachment to the house. But, taxes are high (property is $38k/year, NJ income taxes, NJ sales tax, etc.), and the living is generally very expensive for no particular benefit unless you commute to NYC. The house was built in the 1920s and we doubled its size over the past 20 years; it is more upkeep than I would like. I like 20% of our townsfolk, but we are surrounded by many people I don't so much care for (people who were born on third base and think they've hit a triple).

I will have to research a bit on the software-suggested cities (if that's what you were referring to). Overall, the forum responses made much more sense -- I wonder if the chamber of commerce for those cities make a contribution. For example, my daughter got her Masters in Baltimore; nothing she told me about the city (or that I've seen driving through) would make me want to live there.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

The mountains of western NC would be a good fit, at least for the lakehouse part. Plenty of lakes not too far from Asheville with large international airports within an hour or two depending on where exactly you are. Doesn't get to hot and muggy at altitude.
Topic Author
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

As a first pass, with only a few reasons for what I don't like. More generally, I think the forum members have given thoughtful suggestions that address my preferences in a way that, for all of its questions, the software didn't. I think a lot of the software generated cities would not pass the Turing test.

Charleston, West Virginia -will research
Frederick, Maryland - nah, been there, done that
Baltimore, Maryland - how did this get on the list?
Gaithersburg, Maryland -nah, been there, done that
Washington, District of Columbia - nah, been there, done that
Eugene, Oregon - my sister insists that I check it out
Corvallis, Oregon -will research
Danbury, Connecticut - probably not, wife partially grew up in CT
Fayetteville, Arkansas -will research
Cape Cod, Massachusetts -will research
Salem, Oregon -will research
Sheboygan, Wisconsin- i will look into it, but it seems random
Providence, Rhode Island -will research
Medford, Oregon -will research
Boston, Massachusetts - nah
Portland, Oregon -will research
Santa Fe, New Mexico -will research
Hartford, Connecticut - nah, wife would probably not want to
Reno, Nevada -will research but it seems random
New Haven, Connecticut - son attending Yale, would think we are hovering :D
Worcester, Massachusetts -will research
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois -will research
Cambridge, Massachusetts - that's where The Yale of Massachusetts is, right? I don't think so :twisted:
Stamford-Norwalk, Connecticut - meh