Trip to OKC, what attractions to visit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Trip to OKC, what attractions to visit

Post by LateStarter1975 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:58 pm

DW and I will be going on a road trip this weekend to Oklahoma City from Friday to Sunday. Been checking TripAdvisor for attractions to visit. I was wondering if Bogleheads who have visited or live in OKC have any recommendations. I would certainly appreciate it. Thanks
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful

livesoft

Re: Trip to OKC, what attractions to visit

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:05 pm

I visited the airport once. It was very nice and small. It's the only airport I've seen pumping oil out of the ground.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:06 pm

I guess that I would recommend the Oklahoma City Memorial was worthwhile and would take about four hours.

Also, the stockyards were also pretty interesting as was the wide variety of steakhouses and BBQ joints that are around town.

There is a museum of free enterprise attached to one of the local Christian colleges ... it was one of the most bizarre museums that I have been to and I would aboid it.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:14 pm

Myriad Gardens is great! Have a burger and shake at Nick's while you are there. If you like dive bars, hit Bricktown after dark.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:47 pm

Norman is a nice college town.

The Memorial is very striking. I went there one evening near dusk and just walked around--hardly anyone was there. I found it quite moving. If I would go back I would definitely visit this again.

I had dinner in Bricktown, and Bricktown was pleasant, but it had a sort of...fake-y feel to it. I don't know how to describe it, but it felt almost generic in the "lots of cities now have these gentrified/rehabbed areas so you've seen it all before kind of way." Which isn't to say to avoid it, but it didn't feel as interesting to me as I hoped.

Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Ok, it looks like the City Memorial is a must-see. It kinda aligns with what TripAdvisor recommends..it is the number one out of 62 attractions recommended there.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:11 pm

The Cowboy Hall of Fame (or whatever name it goes by nowadays) might be worth a few hours of your time, if you find that sort of thing interesting. I recall the exhibits being pretty good (but my visit occurred over 12 years ago, so things might have gotten stale), although there was a room full of barbed wire examples, which was a bit much in my view.

Honestly, I don't think that OKC has much going for it. I doubt you'll get to partake in one of the few things that OKC is truly known for: tornadoes.

ww340

Post by ww340 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Certainly the memorial. I also recommend the National Cowboy Hall of Fame, the Omniplex (especially if you have kids, but fun for adults,too). I agree that Myriad gardens is nice.

Bricktown might be fun for you if you are young. Otherwise, there are better choices.

Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Random Poster wrote:The Cowboy Hall of Fame (or whatever name it goes by nowadays) might be worth a few hours of your time, if you find that sort of thing interesting. I recall the exhibits being pretty good (but my visit occurred over 12 years ago, so things might have gotten stale), although there was a room full of barbed wire examples, which was a bit much in my view.

Honestly, I don't think that OKC has much going for it. I doubt you'll get to partake in one of the few things that OKC is truly known for: tornadoes.
Yeah, I'm not definitely looking forward to any tornadoes. I also live in the tornado belt, so we see several around here too

Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:34 pm

As others have said, the Bombing Memorial is an amazing and touching attraction. It's just north of downtown and Bricktown, so I would recommend seeing the Botanical Gardens and walking Bricktown while you're there. You should have dinner lakeside at Lake Hefner (RedRock Canyon Grill, Mama Roja's and Hefner Grill are all nice). Norman is about 20 minutes south of downtown and you could walk around the campus and football stadium. There are numerous malls and an outdoor outlet mall (The Outlet Shoppes).

If you are wanting to do certain things or need meal suggestions, let me know.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:04 pm

ww340 wrote:Certainly the memorial. I also recommend the National Cowboy Hall of Fame, the Omniplex (especially if you have kids, but fun for adults,too). I agree that Myriad gardens is nice.

Bricktown might be fun for you if you are young. Otherwise, there are better choices.
+1 bricktown ... near the OKC Thunder basketball arena, is where all the bars and restaurants are (Mickey Mantles if you want to splurge)... otherwise not much else out there
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Boomer01 wrote:As others have said, the Bombing Memorial is an amazing and touching attraction. It's just north of downtown and Bricktown, so I would recommend seeing the Botanical Gardens and walking Bricktown while you're there. You should have dinner lakeside at Lake Hefner (RedRock Canyon Grill, Mama Roja's and Hefner Grill are all nice). Norman is about 20 minutes south of downtown and you could walk around the campus and football stadium. There are numerous malls and an outdoor outlet mall (The Outlet Shoppes).

If you are wanting to do certain things or need meal suggestions, let me know.
Thanks a lot, your post is quite helpful. What meal suggestions would you recommend?

rozie

Post by rozie » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:14 pm

OKC has really taken off the past several years with quite a few new districts popping up in the City core. Bricktown is nice to visit but tends to be more touristy. For a more local experience, you might want to check into the Plaza District, Midtown, Deep Deuce, Automobile Alley, Uptown 23rd Street, and the Paseo.

If you are looking for a nice dinner place, RedPrime on Automobile Alley is one of the best steakhouses in town. Kitchen 324 in downtown is also a great weekend brunch spot, and since you'll be in OKC this weekend you might want to check out H&8th in Midtown. It's a big food truck festival held on the last Friday of each month.

If you want more suggestions, look around at www.okctalk.com. Everyone on that site is super friendly and will give you a ton of suggestions if you ask. Have a good trip!

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:34 pm

If you are looking for BBQ, Earl's Rib Crib will not disappoint. It is nothing real formal but the meat is very good.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:36 pm

The Boulevard Cafe is a must lunch. If you like great food, this is like Furr's on steroids.
You might catch the governor, and law makers right at noon, so go in early, 11am, or late, after 130pm. The line is long.
Fantastic food. American style buffet cooked right behind the counter in front you.
My wife and I eat there when in town. Stuffed with fresh good food. Chicken, fish, beef, salads, veggies, fruits, breads, sweets...etc. etc.

Now I'm hungry.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm

For food, there's always Van's Pig Stand. Might not be in OKC proper, but they aren't too far outside of town.

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:06 pm

If you stay downtown eat at Red's try the flash fried spinach with your steak. Take in a ball game and eat at Mickey Mantle's place.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 2018 no. 175 2019 no. 144 6 year average 157.83. Proves I am just an average investor.What do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

DireWolf

Post by DireWolf » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:09 pm

Chihuly collection at the OKC Museum Of Art

banjo

Post by banjo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:13 pm

The American Banjo Museum is right down in Bricktown on Sheridan Avenue. They have hundreds of 4-string banjos on display. I play the banjo so it was interesting for me. If you don't like banjo, well then it is right next door to a brew pub that is pretty nice.

BTW, the American Banjo Museum is all about 4-string tenor banjos, so if you are a 5-string player, it might not appeal to you.

Dave_M

Post by Dave_M » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I don't think anyone has mentioned it (and given all the food suggestions, you may not be able to move), but there is a worls class rowing center in OKC. In fact, it's one of the official Olympic Training Centers. There is almost always something going on on the weekends, either training or competitions - fun for a couple of hours if you're into that.

And I second Van's Pig Stand; best collard greens outside of Georgia 8-) (and my wife insists on having chicken, and says it is the best, but get there early or they'll run out)

dave

Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:32 am

For prime steak, I would go to either Boulevard (Edmond), The Ranch, or RedPrime.

Another nice dining option with a twist would be to eat at Vast on top of the Devon tower downtown. It's 50 floors up and you can see forever. You might have to call in a reservation though.

A few other casual dining options around downtown would be Urban Johnnie, The Wedge, Deep Deuce Grille, KD's (partially owned by Kevin Durant), or Toby Keith's I Love This Bar and Grill.

Another cool area is called Classen Curve with a few restaurants/bars and shops.

If you're looking for something else (ie. kid friendly, specific type of food, etc.) let me know and I'll try to help you.

You should also check out the boathouse district: http://boathousedistrict.org/ They have all sorts of activities and even sunset cruises.

Topic Author
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:41 am

Thanks everyone...I have taken notes and will check out some of the recommendations.

laughlinlvr

Post by laughlinlvr » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:07 am

The National Cowboy Hall of Fame is much more than just cowboys. It's got great western art as well as exhibits on all aspects of cowboy culture (from rodeo rules to a barbed wire "library").
Investing - The hardest way to make an easy living.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:25 am

laughlinlvr wrote:The National Cowboy Hall of Fame is much more than just cowboys. It's got great western art as well as exhibits on all aspects of cowboy culture (from rodeo rules to a barbed wire "library").
Yep, it's great if you like Western Art. I think they have more Remington's and Russell's than any other museum (except maybe the Amon Carter in Ft. Worth). OKC also has a pretty good trolley system that hit's all the major stops. As others have said, the OKC Memorial is very powerful and should not be missed.

Ivygirl

Post by Ivygirl » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:40 pm

St. Joseph's Old Cathedral is a small but lovely church adjacent to the bombing memorial. It is open to visitors during the day.

If you think skeletons are cool, visit the Museum of Osteology in south Oklahoma City. Many, many assembled skeletons of every creature you can imagine, including whales, seals, primates, and tigers.