Best Coffee Maker? What do you have?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
shokwaverider

Best Coffee Maker? What do you have?

Post by shokwaverider »

I got to thinking, I have a Delonghi Magnifica Coffee Maker. Brilliant Machine! 1 very annoying flaw, you have to keep filling up the water tank. It only makes 3 to 4 cups before you need to take out the tank and fill it. Nice part is it uses those standard mini aquarium floats that you can get off eBay for $5.

So, being and engineer and owning a 3D Printer, I CAD'd up a custom bracket and installed a float system. It works brilliantly. I can give you details if interested but here it is. It is now the Best Coffee Maker I have ever owned.

Here is a picture of it all installed. With a few notes I made when a friend asked about it.

prn27

Re: Best Coffee Maker? What do you have?

Post by prn27 »

For a single cup, this is a great option: Aeropress
I have been using it every morning for the past 3 years and absolutely love it.
Toons

Post by Toons »

I can't leave home without it,,,,,,strapped down in the RV.... :happy
Hamilton Beach
K-Cup or Regular cup

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hamilton-Beac ... 5/21130276
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Somewhat recent thread where I was looking for coffee maker ideas. I had a Bunn And ended up replacing it with the same one.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=137583
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." A.E.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

A French press.
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

I have one of those $10 coffee makers.

And as a further sign of my frugality, I buy the jumbo can of the house brand at WallyMart for $5.99.

One tip for you aficionados: Sprinkle cinnamon on the grounds before brewing. Tastes just like that $10/lb Dunkin Donuts coffee.

With the money I've saved on coffee over the years I put my kid through Generic University.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by HardKnocker on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

That was a fast edit :)
I was going to ask why would you want your coffee taste like Starbucks :)
HardKnocker wrote:I have one of those $10 coffee makers.

And as a further sign of my frugality, I buy the jumbo can at WallyMart for $5.99.

One tip for you afficianados: Sprinkle cinnamon on the grounds before brewing. Tastes just like that $10/lb Dunkin Donuts coffee.

:mrgreen:
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Erhan wrote:That was a fast edit :)
I was going to ask why would you want your coffee taste like Starbucks :)
Hold on, I'm thinking!

More coffee!

:annoyed

:happy
Last edited by HardKnocker on Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
billern

Post by billern »

I started doing cold brew coffee. All you need is coffee grounds, a jar, something to filter the coffee when it is done, and 48 hours to let it sit.

If you want to get fancy, you can order this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UEPGFY/. It holds the coffee grounds while brewing. It makes clean up much easier.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

$25 Clever Coffee Dripper - works better than the much more expensive machines I've had in the past, provided the instructions are followed (wet the filter, use fresh ground, wait 4 minutes +/-

Excellent cup of coffee

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
aude

Post by aude »

Bonavita BV1800TH

hot water makes better coffee!
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

OP - fancy mod, nicely done.

I'm happy (until it breaks?) with http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach-49 ... ton+coffee

especially since I got it for under $40 at Kohl's during a coupon/discount deal.
Very quick way to have a single cup and not pay/waste resources with K-cups.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Brilliant idea!

I use a mokka express. $25 and it beats the $600+ kits out there.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

hicabob wrote:"Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." A.E.

Hi,

I have two of this. But, I would add a Hario hand grinder to grind my coffee fresh.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Mill ... io+grinder

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
newkidontheblock

Post by newkidontheblock »

I have Technivorm Moccamaster and like it a lot.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

[picture of a Miletta manual-pour cone]
That's what I use, in artful combination with a whistling kettle and my stovetop. There's lots of info on lots of makers on pennstater2005's thread s/he linked to.

To save OP time, the upshot was everybody decided what they had already decided on was the best decision for themselves, including pennstater2005 who went with replacing h/er/is old unit with a new one from the same manufacturer.

What is the intellectual effect of no minds changing?

PJW
midareff

Post by midareff »

Great idea.....
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Mr Coffee basic, it's all in the personal choice of coffee
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
peppers

Post by peppers »

Keurig
Mr. Coffee
Regal 36 cup < For those long weekends when I am too lazy to make a fresh pot.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am quite content with my Kurig. I live alone and the single cup brew is fine for me. I am not into the exotic blends of K Cups and enjoy just a plain old French Roast. I buy in quanity and a cup of coffee costs me about 25 cents.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

I have this:
http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Glass-Stovet ... ker&dpPl=1

and find it makes a very fine cup. I think if you look around you can find it for ~$20 less than Amazon's price. Siphon coffee makers are a little more work to use and clean up, but the quality of the coffee is outstanding.
gatorman
noktem

Post by noktem »

Another vote for either the aero press or clever. Either one of these will make better coffee than any machine :)
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

The dimensions you can control are the beans, the grind, and the preparation. So you have the making of an efficient frontier of sorts. Each person will have a combination of choices that is optimum for them -- and deviation on any dimension, either down or up the scale, reduces the cost/pleasure balance.

Some people say how you boil the water matters too, but I suspect they are insane.

In my personal case, I care most about beans, a fair amount about grind, and very little about preparation. I admire all of you who are happy with canned coffee from Walmart, but I'd suffer enormously if I had to drink it every day. In fact, when I used to visit my mother who had only Folger's in the house, I'd have to go out every couple days to satisfy my craving for decent coffee. I pay $12/pound for beans at Fairway that are roasted fresh and are extremely good. I've tried cheaper, and I've tried more expensive; this is the sweet spot for me. I can't stand the stuff Starbucks sells. I suspect it is because the beans sit around for too long after roasting -- I believe Fairway sells the beans within a week of roasting..

For grinding, I have a strong preference for grinding them just before brewing, but I don't give a hoot about about the expensive ways this can be done. A simple blade grinder works just fine for me. If I were a gazillionaire I'd probably spring for a burr grinder -- I do notice the difference at coffee shops that use them -- but the difference doesn't justify the price for me.

When it comes to prep, a plain, cheapo drip coffee maker works just fine for me. I notice better taste when I use the French press, but it isn't worth the hassle to do it every day. I have a small DeLonghi for making espresso occasionally, but I'd never bother with it for the daily brew.

But these are all intensely personal perceptions. I suppose we could craft some Morningstar style boxes and compare them.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: What is the intellectual effect of no minds changing?
My guess is that there are untapped improvements in coffee enjoyment, available to people willing to experiment with new things. And I don't think we are all too terribly set in our ways. Collectively, Americans have completely changed the way we drink coffee pretty fast. We went from percolators to drip brewing in practically the blink of an eye.

People don't change how they drink coffee based on message boards. The change when they experience something directly and discover how much they like it and how within-reach it is.

In my generation, our parents started driving high-quality cars when they drove around in their adult children's cars and realized how sensible they were. Not because a magazine told them it was better.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:
[picture of a Miletta manual-pour cone]
That's what I use, in artful combination with a whistling kettle and my stovetop.

Me three!
Phineas J. Whoopee wrote:There's lots of info on lots of makers on pennstater2005's thread s/he linked to.

To save OP time, the upshot was everybody decided what they had already decided on was the best decision for themselves, including pennstater2005 who went with replacing h/er/is old unit with a new one from the same manufacturer.

What is the intellectual effect of no minds changing?

PJW
This is a value in confirming that there is no clearly better option available than the one you have chosen.
dore

Post by dore »

AeroPress.
Siwash

Post by Siwash »

This is a FIVE STAR thread!

I've been frustrated in recent years by machines that simply blink out, having run a year or two.

I've used Mr. Coffee machines, and I have successfully bellyached to their customer support about the machines and received one or two free replacements.

C'mon. Sure, it's an appliance, but back when I was a kid, these things would last much, much longer.

In dealing with this, I've wondered a good bit about what makes the best engineered machine. . . and why isn't it being built?
midareff

Post by midareff »

I'm using a Cuisinart which replaced the 8 year old one that stopped working properly. Tried a Calphalon but the water seal under the water line of the tank leaked so back it went for the Cuisinart I have now.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

Cousinart Grind and Brew here. It grinds the beans and makes the coffee. I wake up every morning to the sound of the beans being ground. Better than an alarm clock!
mcblum

Post by mcblum »

It's is sort of interesting, but my favorite discussions on this blog, after financial, are ones about coffee and coffee tech. marty
supertreat

Post by supertreat »

Freshly ground good coffee and aeropress for me. If I get the water temp right I can make the best filtered coffee I've ever had
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)
coffeehubcap

Post by coffeehubcap »

What is the ideal temperature for water in making a cup of coffee?
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

supertreat wrote:Freshly ground good coffee and aeropress for me. If I get the water temp right I can make the best filtered coffee I've ever had
Same for me. I use a $25 hand burr grinder and a $25 aeropress.

Pros: Great coffee, inexpensive setup, portable for travel, easy cleanup, no electric parts. Put it in a thermos and the coffee stays hot and doesn't get bitter.

Cons: I wouldn't want to do this more than once per day.
steadierfooting

Post by steadierfooting »

I use the $15 mr coffee cheapo thing. We registered for a $90 Mr Coffee maker that had a thermos but no hot plate, but it never kept the coffee hot enough, so we returned it to BB&B after a year of frustration, and they had no issues that it didn't have the box. Our first $15 mr. coffee maker lasted 10 years before it stopped working. I also use the cheapest coffee I can find at costco (usually maxwell house). And once a year buy 2 pounds of a seasonal starbucks blend that I really like.

When we remodel the kitchen (in like 10 years) I absolutely want to get a model that you can hook up the water line to. I'm sure I could run it now since we have a line that comes to the fridge, but... Maybe I'll think about it when this coffeemaker stops working.

I also highly recommend contigo travel mugs. I bought mine at williams sonoma, but I've seen them other places now. It keeps the coffee insanely hot for a good 4 hours, and holds around 2 mugs of coffee. Best 'investment'. I never understand why people use the cheap plastic things that don't keep the coffee hot at all.
Sbashore

Post by Sbashore »

I have a Zojirushi now. Got it to replace a Cuisinart. I'll probably go back to Cuisinart when this one goes, although it makes good coffee. Key for me is a coffee maker that gets the water hot enough to get a good brew.
Steve | Semper Fi
supertreat

Post by supertreat »

coffeehubcap wrote:What is the ideal temperature for water in making a cup of coffee?
It depends on the particular bean you're brewing. For my aeropress I use a general rule of thumb: light roasts I use 185F, medium I do 180F, and dark roasts I do 175F. I also use a normal blade grinder and grind it fairly fine. I only steep for about 10-15 seconds prior to initiating the plunge process.
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I use a Cuisinart right now, although I am still a very big fan of percolators.
Don
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Ketawa wrote:A French press.
Loving my frech press, I bought this as an "automatic" french press. Absolutely love it!!

http://www.google.com/url?url=http://ww ... 86yJIfnLOg

Edit to add: I bought that from Costco for $70 while it was on sale. And I use a burr grinder to grind my beans right before brewing. I haven't gotten far enough to do my own roasting though. So far, Costco whole beans are providing me great coffee with a selection of beans.
daave

Post by daave »

My fiancée gave me a Chemex for my birthday and I think it's fantastic. But in my experience the biggest difference in taste between chemex/aeropress/french-press/etc. comes not from the apparatus, but from the beans. I've been drinking lots of Toby's Estate Brooklyn Bend lately.
scottjspencer

Post by scottjspencer »

I'm with the Melitta people. I bought a pair of travel mug/pour-over filter cones (one for me, and one for my partner), for less than $12 a couple of years ago. (They're more expensive now: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049D3UBA)

Easy to use, cheap (!), and does the job.
LongerPrimer

Post by LongerPrimer »

Paper filter, Militia Funnel and boiling water.
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

After being a French press aficionado for many years, I've recently made the leap to espresso. Got a Breville machine, a Baratza burr grinder and started pulling my own shots. Never looked back.

I've also discovered the world of artisan coffee roasters.

Less is definitely more :beer
Last edited by smackboy1 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

I've been a french press guy for 16 years and counting, and probably will be for the rest of my life. I even have a stainless steel model which I can take on camping trips.
stratton

Post by stratton »

I just have to post this...

Latte Literature: The Girl Who Played with Fire
Journalist Mikael Blomkvist searches for the troubled, but intrepid, Lisbeth Salander. Upon entering her apartment he “admires in awe the espresso machine on its own table. She had a Jura Impressa X7 with attached milk cooler. Blomkvist knew that a Jura was the espresso equivalent of a Rolls Royce—a professional machine for domestic use that cost in the neighborhood of 70,000 kronor. He had an espresso machine that he had bought at John Wall, which had cost around 3,500 kronor—one of the few extravagances he had allowed himself for his own household, and a fraction of the grandeur of Salander’s machine.”
The X7 appears to not be manuf. any more, but Amazon has a Jura Impressa X9 for a cool $6495. :P

Too much for my caffeinated wallet!

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

newkidontheblock wrote:I have Technivorm Moccamaster and like it a lot.
Ditto, but I would warn others that it is more of a hands-on, manual process than the fancy things you can get today. Despite its simlicity, it manages to have a bunch of fiddly pieces. Also I find that, often, one needs to manually mess with the grounds container and the water dispenser a minute or so into the process in order to get all the grounds wet and participating in the process.

I does make really good coffee.

I would say that if you don't go to the bother of grinding your own beans then this coffee maker is probably not for you.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

gatorman wrote:I have this:
http://www.amazon.com/Yama-Glass-Stovet ... ker&dpPl=1

and find it makes a very fine cup. I think if you look around you can find it for ~$20 less than Amazon's price. Siphon coffee makers are a little more work to use and clean up, but the quality of the coffee is outstanding.
gatorman
I have one of those and find that it can make a very good cup of coffee. Unfortunately, I never mastered the secret of consistency. I just couldn't get it to behave the same way every time. My guess is that it is extremely critical at two points:
  1. When to put in the grounds. If I put the whole thing together, including grounds, before turning on the heat the water would go to the top slowly and before being hot enough to brew properly. If I waited for a near boil before sticking on the top piece (already loaded with grounds) other things went wrong that I now can't remember -- it's been over a year since I messed with this.
  2. Exactly when to remove from the heat
Anyway, I got wildly varying results. Some times the water would suck down almost immediately after removing from the heat and finish up quite quickly. Sometimes it would sit for quite a while before the water sucked down. Sometime is would stop while there was water still in the top section.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
quercus

Post by quercus »

+1 for Cuisinart. Biggest selling point for me was the adjustable brew temperature and adjustable carafe temperature. Many of the less expensive drip coffee makers just don't get the coffee hot enough.

My french press does taste better, but it's too much hassle if I want multiple cups throughout the day.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LongerPrimer wrote:Paper filter, Militia Funnel and boiling water.
http://www.ncausa.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=71

<< Water Temperature During Brewing

Your brewer should maintain a water temperature between 195 - 205 degrees Fahrenheit for optimal extraction. Colder water will result in flat, underextracted coffee while water that is too hot will also cause a loss of quality in the taste of the coffee. If you are brewing the coffee manually, let the water come to a full boil, but do not overboil. Turn off the heat source and allow the water to rest a minute before pouring it over the grounds.>>

LongerPrimer,

For proper temperature, you may want to let boiling water cool down for one minute before brewing. Or else, you may burn the coffee powder.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
newtojc

Post by newtojc »

+1 for aeropress