USPS Shipping Problem Again

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
eucalyptus

USPS Shipping Problem Again

Post by eucalyptus »

Five or so years ago my elderly mother-in-law sent my wife a valuable, heirloom necklace via USPS. She sent the package from a post office in California, underinsured it and, when asked, told the clerk the package contained jewelry. Tracking later showed the necklace left the originating post office, then disappeared.

A week ago, my elderly father sent a new tablet computer to me via USPS. Knowing he was about to ship the tablet, I sent my Dad an email warning him not to use USPS. Unfortunately, my warning reached him on his return from the post office in Maryland. Not knowing the tablet's value, he underinsured it and, when asked the package's contents, told the clerk the truth. Tracking shows the package left the originating post office and then disappeared.

I learned from bad experiences in the 90s not to use the USPS for anything beyond paying small, routine bills (if that). The alternatives aren't perfect, but IMO they are far, far better than USPS roulette. FWIW.
cheese_breath

Re: USPS Shipping Problem Again

Post by cheese_breath »

I'm no USPS fan, but for many items they still seem to be the least expensive alternative, at least where I live. BUT anyone who doesn't insure expensive items for their full value is living dangerously.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
shorvath

Post by shorvath »

I try to avoid USPS shipping, but often the decision is taken out of my hands. Amazon has been using the Fedex/UPS smart post services to save money. This is where they ship to the local post office, and the the package is delivered by the postman. About 50% of the time, the package is processed as delivered by the USPS system less than a minute after it is received from UPS :( . This means that the package never gets delivered, and no amount of talking to the USPS "customer service" people can fix it. This leads to me informing Amazon that the package was stolen by USPS (yes, I actually say this) and replacements being shipped, hopefully through a real package delivery service.
Drunken Roboticist
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I've had excellent luck with USPS. I almost exclusively use Priority. It includes free boxes, pickup, tracking, and insurance.

I have heard of horror stories. In one case an elderly family member misaddressed the package. In another case they skimped on tape and the box opened en route.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

In many years of shipping many packages via USPS, domestic and international, I have never lost one. I use them for packages almost exclusively. However, one that was coming to me was lost. It was minor.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
RunningRad

Post by RunningRad »

I have shipped hundreds of thousands of dollars of collectibles via the USPS and never lost one.

For valuable items, like heirloom jewelry and such, registered mail is the best bet. It is slow and expensive but can be insured up to $25k.
Few decisions in life motivated by greed ever have happy outcomes--Peter Bernstein, The 60/40 Solution
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

(Shrug) I've personally never had a problem with USPS, and I've had two problems with Fedex, one a real nightmare. Stuff happens.

(Correction. I HAVE had problems with USPS, but only with the strange hybrid "UPS mail innovations" ultracheap service that sends packages part of the way by UPS and then hands it off to USPS for local delivery. Watch out for any organization that offers "free shipping" but ships via Mail Innovations. To be fair, they are very vague about shipping speed. The problem is that if the package doesn't arrive and you try to "track" it, they can't tell anything except "we delivered it a week ago to a post office twenty miles away from you.")

(Fedex story. At work, I ordered two computers from Apple. One arrived, one didn't. Fedex played hardball. Produces signature images for both packages. The package that arrived had the signature of someone in our receiving department, the one that didn't had a legible signature, and it wasn't the name of anyone working at my employer. The package was eventually located, through help from Apple and some sleuthing on my part, at a college receiving department five miles away. When eventually we received the package, the label on it showed our address, i.e. the correct address, NOT the address it had been delivered do. The best part is that when we explained the situation to Fedex, they initially refused to send out anyone to retrieve the package and deliver it to us. The general picture is that Fedex simply refused to "take ownership of the problem.")
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Sheepdog wrote:In many years of shipping many packages via USPS, domestic and international, I have never lost one. I use them for packages almost exclusively. However, one that was coming to me was lost. It was minor.
I don't recall ever losing one either. But I have experienced many, many late deliveries. Pay extra for priority shipping and it takes as long (or maybe even longer) than parcel post.

Has anyone had bad experiences with the local mail carriers? (I bet the answer is 'yes'). My wife orders a lot of pictures and things that shouldn't folded, and some of them ignore the 'Do Not Fold' messages on the outside and cram them into the mail box anyway. Complaining to the local PO does no good at all. (Occasionally we'll get a good carrier who will bring these to the front door. Really appreciate them, but it seems they are few and far between.)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

We haven't used USPS for years for anything "important", because... it just isn't reliable.
We get mail addressed to many of our neighbors, and thus assume that many of our neighbors get mail addressed to us.
Worse, if it isn't something we are expecting - such as an invitation (yes, some are still "real" invitations, and not emails) - then we haven't a clue it was sent but didn't arrive...

The few times in the past we needed to send something that HAD to arrive, we used USPS... is it certified or registered? The service that takes a much longer time, but every time it changes hands, the USPS person "accepting custody" has to sign on the increasingly long list of handlers.

We had to send some expensive jewelry, so we asked a local jeweler and also FedEx. And our insurance company.
ALL said to use this method with USPS and of course to insure it.

Tricky about the insurance, however. Insuring for a high value makes it more tempting.

Don't know if this is true, but when I was [much] younger, we knew one of the curators at the Smithsonian.
He claimed that when custody of the Hope Diamond was transferred, it was decided the best way was USPS in a "plain brown wrapper", no bells or whistles or publicity, no hint it was anything more than something mundane, boring, and of little/no value. (This was obviously before FedEx, so the choice was USPS or courier, I guess.)
It obviously got there, however the delivery process went.
NOT recommending this, however.

We've only had two problems with FedEx, and one was the shipper's mistake.
1) Important papers didn't arrive across country. FedEx claimed it was never deposited locally.
Next day, a phone call. FedEx driver FOUND envelope at bottom of drop box. Ooops.
2) Saturday delivery, urgent, didn't arrive by time specified. Many calls to FedEx who put us in touch with local distribution center. They found parcel, but it was not marked for Saturday delivery. A Supervisor offered to drive it over when she got off her shift that afternoon. You betcha a NICE letter was sent to her manager and to FedEx HQ.

RM
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I've never had a problem with USPS either and have used them extensively for package mailing.

I suppose that the local post office may have something to do with the chances of a package going missing. If a worker at the local office is told what's in the box it would probably be easy enough to scan it into their system as having left (loaded on truck) and then put it aside to take home with them. Anyone down the line would need the opportunity and time to open many boxes in order to find items of interest which seems much less practical.

I think all the local P.O. needs to know when mailing is that there's nothing hazardous inside the box and whether or not you want it insured. They shouldn't be asking (and you shouldn't be telling them) exactly what the box contains.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Only problem I've had with any carrier was a Dell laptop new, shipped from Dell using FedEx. We weren't home, then left a tag that they tried, the computer showed they'd tried once but not delivered it.....and it was never seen again as far as I know. FedEx searched their facility twice, according to them, with no luck.

Thankfully all signs were that it was not delivered, so all were on the same page. However, parts were now back ordered a month later the new (2nd) laptop arrived.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

ResearchMed wrote: Don't know if this is true, but when I was [much] younger, we knew one of the curators at the Smithsonian.
He claimed that when custody of the Hope Diamond was transferred, it was decided the best way was USPS in a "plain brown wrapper", no bells or whistles or publicity, no hint it was anything more than something mundane, boring, and of little/no value.
WOW!!! I would have taken this for an urban legend for sure. Who would believe they wouldn't use a bonded security firm to carry it personally? But look at this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hope_ ... l-1958.jpg

and this

http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/museum/1 ... amond.html
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

My mailing history via USPS is filled with tales of loss and delay, both incoming and outgoing. And I've received my neighbors' valuables, and they've received mine.

From here, USPS "Overnight" services routinely take 2-3 days. The good news is that a refund is promptly issued for a tardy "overnight" (unless the delay deemed to be caused by weather). So 2-3 day shipping nets free.

If something really needs next day delivery, I choose FedEx or UPS, depending on the guidance of the recipient and where it's going. But insurance options are limited.
RunningRad wrote:For valuable items, like heirloom jewelry and such, registered mail is the best bet. It is slow and expensive but can be insured up to $25k.
+1 From personal experience, I'll confirm Registered mail is THE way to ship and insure high value items, like heirloom jewelry. Each day of its journey, the 'Registered" parcel is logged in and out, signed by a worker, and it sleeps in a safe, rather than some sorting bin. So it moves slowly but very securely. All of my inherited diamonds (and a >$5k watch, true Bogleheadian!) and baubles have made this Registered trip, taking 8-10 days to go 2000 miles.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

cheese_breath wrote:
ResearchMed wrote: Don't know if this is true, but when I was [much] younger, we knew one of the curators at the Smithsonian.
He claimed that when custody of the Hope Diamond was transferred, it was decided the best way was USPS in a "plain brown wrapper", no bells or whistles or publicity, no hint it was anything more than something mundane, boring, and of little/no value.
WOW!!! I would have taken this for an urban legend for sure. Who would believe they wouldn't use a bonded security firm to carry it personally? But look at this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hope_ ... l-1958.jpg

and this

http://www.postalmuseum.si.edu/museum/1 ... amond.html
Wow indeed!!

Thanks cheese_breath!

I was never sure if the story was accurate, but our family friend was curator of the section that had the gem and mineral collection, and at about that time, so that did add *some* credibility.
But either his story or my memory isn't quite right, because obviously it wasn't "just a box in a plain brown wrapper".
It had a prominent "Harry Winston" label, for one thing. And because of the ceremony involved, obviously lots of people knew it was en route.

But still...

I can't imagine anyone doing it that way these days.

RM
Topic Author
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

Glad, I guess, to see there's anecdotal evidence that the USPS can deliver valuables. My anecdotal evidence is that USPS employees steal from elderly, honest patrons. Again, FWIW.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

eucalyptus wrote:Glad, I guess, to see there's anecdotal evidence that the USPS can deliver valuables. My anecdotal evidence is that USPS employees steal from elderly, honest patrons. Again, FWIW.
Yes, a real, REAL problem.
(Although I suspect those are equal opportunity thefts, and affect the younger and less honest alike.)

But using the registered option, where *everyone* handling the parcel must sign when they take custody... that does eliminate just about all of the chances for some anonymous thief. Costs a bit more, and takes a LOT longer. But it does seem to work.

RM
Topic Author
eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus »

My experience with USPS has been so bad that I honestly was surprised to learn from this thread that obviously bright people use the mail (successfully!) for anything that matters.

My Dad's mistake was not researching the value of the tablet he sent (priority mail) and underinsuring it; the tablet is an easily replaced commodity. My wife's necklace was a very different matter; it was long promised to, and then bequeathed to my wife by her grandmother. My mother-in-law apparently cheerfully told the USPS clerk exactly what was in the package and the sentimental story behind it, then insured the necklace for maybe a fifth of its value. She forgot to write "Please Steal This" on the package but, happily for someone, her oversight didn't matter.
alex11

Post by alex11 »

I have shipped well over 5,000 packages with USPS over the past 5 years and not a single package has been lost. For lighter weight items they are the only affordable way. I do have my complaints with packages being delivered well after the quoted dates and their tracking system is not near as good as UPS or Fedex.

With that being said, due to tracking and insurance claims I would much rather ship high end items with UPS.

And as another post mentioned it is none of their concern what is in the package, they should only be asking if the package is fragile or perishable.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

I've had problems with all three, USPS, FEDEX, and UPS. Biggest problem was with UPS. Insure to proper value and use track able service if it's valuable. If it's truly heirloom, irreplaceable, reconsider shipping at all.
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (general rant) . See: Forum Policy
...General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.

Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
General complaints continue without purpose (except to complain). It's more productive to keep this forum focused on specific topics.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.