Options/guidance for a lazy person to be fit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jerrybaby

Options/guidance for a lazy person to be fit

Post by Jerrybaby »

The weight where I feel fit and healthy is from 195 to 200 lbs. Family calls me skinny at that weight. Up until I was forty or so, I stayed in this range and felt motivated to exercise periodically to stay in that range. I could go out and jog two miles and still feel fine. Fast forward almost a decade, and I have been over 220, and sometimes nearing 230 lbs. and feel sluggish and really unmotivated. I can feel my body slowly degenerating, and even mowing the grass now really wears me out. I know I've got to put a stop to this and reverse course, as I think I'm doing damage to myself, but getting out of this rut is a struggle. Has anybody else ever been in this place in life and found a way to break through the malaise?
denovo

Re: Options/guidance for a lazy person to be fit

Post by denovo »

First, if you don't so in a while , get a physical with the blood panel test to make sure they aren't some underlying issues.

That being said, two things that have helped me, may not be an issue with you, but is worthwhile examining. How regular is your sleep? I have more energy when my sleep is regular. Two, start off gradually. Start off at 20 mins a day for the first week and scale up.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
ogd

Post by ogd »

Jerry: I have two big tips for losing that amount of weight when motivation is the big issue:

1) Find something to do at the gym while you burn calories. You can read a book on the bike or watch something on the other machines, like a sports game or Netflix on a tablet or smartphone. Then you can even look forward to that time of your day. You do need to be there a lot, maybe 3-4 times a week.

Jogging won't do it, I think. At your age or even quite a bit younger, it's hard to get enough mileage out of your joints to burn enough calories. And it's hard to keep yourself entertained, easy to give up early so you can make it back.

2) Eat good food, basically anything you want, but small portions. A juicy steak will leave you more satisfied than a big salad which might have you back for a snack in a few hours. Speaking of snacks, try drinking a big glass of water instead of one, often times it does the trick.

Kudos for wanting to do something about the problem. The weight won't get rid of itself and you'll need both exercise and diet, but it can be done.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I recently lost 80 pounds after becoming a couch potato and eating everything in site for way too long. The factor that did it for me was when I realized that I was closer to 300 than to 200 pounds. That really motivated me to do something. I did it using calorie counting using the MYFITNESSPAL app and web site. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/ I found that if I ate a little something every few hours, an apple, a handful of almonds, etc, it kept the hunger at bay.
I used Scoobys Calculator to figure out my caloric goal. http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
Disclaimer: Always conult a doctor before starting an exercise program.
I joined a gym. I knew that in order to get fit I would need a combination of aerobic exercise and resistance training. For the aerobic, I chose the elliptical as I have some foot problems that make the treadmill too painful. I started at around 20 minutes on the elliptical, and gradually increased my time there until I could do an hour. I did this every day except one day off a week.
For the resistance training, I was initally a little scared of the free weights, so I started with the machines. Basically did a round of the machines every other day, 3 sets of 10 reps. After I became a little stronger and started getting over my fear of the free weights, I started Stronglifts 5x5 program. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/ I did that with good results. I also did ALL PROs beginner routine for while, http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843 both are great programs for the beginning lifter.
SInce I like gadgets, I got a Fitbit to help count my daily steps, and I got a Polar heart rate monitor to help ensure that I kept a good heart rate during my aerobic exercise.
If you can't afford to join the gym then I would recommend starting out with something like couch to 5k program to get in some running . http://www.c25k.com/ If you don't want to run, then walking is the best exercise you can do.
For weight training at home, I would recommend something like You are Your Own Gym. http://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own- ... 0345528581 They also have an app.
The biggest thing is to realize that while it is difficult to start, once you get into a good program you will much better and be much healthier.
Good Luck.
Mike
Last edited by mhalley on Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 »

sorry ogd, I disagree. Jogging will do it. I've jogged over 30 years now. Started originally to lose weight, which came off rapidly, then got hooked on the buzz I got from it. I've been able to keep the weight off all these years by doing so. At your age, 10 years less than mine, get a stress test, first. Then get into a routine. Also there's security in numbers. I run with a bunch of men and woman 4 times a week ( once a week I go solo), and the good hearted peer pressure and social interaction, and laughs, keeps you going. The thought that running is hard on your joints is a myth. Obesity and inactivity, along with family history, are what detroys joints.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

After many years of not exercising (my 30s, basically) I've recently found as I crested 40 that the weight goes on much easier than it comes off.

I don't know if you've played sports in the past, but I used to play tennis. I recently got back into game after quitting out of frustration in my late 20s over persistent and painful tendonitis in my elbow. I've found the 90 minute clinic I'm doing once per week right now to fly by...I'm having a lot of fun and the workout is secondary.

If playing sports was something you used to do, why not think about getting back into it?
ogd

Post by ogd »

bcboy57 wrote:sorry ogd, I disagree. Jogging will do it. I've jogged over 30 years now. Started originally to lose weight, which came off rapidly, then got hooked on the buzz I got from it. I've been able to keep the weight off all these years by doing so. At your age, 10 years less than mine, get a stress test, first. Then get into a routine. Also there's security in numbers. I run with a bunch of men and woman 4 times a week ( once a week I go solo), and the good hearted peer pressure and social interaction, and laughs, keeps you going. The thought that running is hard on your joints is a myth. Obesity and inactivity, along with family history, are what detroys joints.
Maybe it works for you, but it might depend on your body type. I'm in the same weight range as the OP and I find that even at the healthy end of that range the load on the joints becomes the limitation on both the length of a jog and the willingness to do it the next day. At the unfit weight it's quite a bit worse, and it's there that it matters most. Workout length should ideally be limited by heart / aerobics, to push those in the right direction.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

bcboy57 wrote:sorry ogd, I disagree. Jogging will do it. I've jogged over 30 years now. Started originally to lose weight, which came off rapidly, then got hooked on the buzz I got from it. I've been able to keep the weight off all these years by doing so. At your age, 10 years less than mine, get a stress test, first. Then get into a routine. Also there's security in numbers. I run with a bunch of men and woman 4 times a week ( once a week I go solo), and the good hearted peer pressure and social interaction, and laughs, keeps you going. The thought that running is hard on your joints is a myth. Obesity and inactivity, along with family history, are what detroys joints.
Sorry bcoy57, I respectfully disagree. Running is hard on the joints, even for people who are physically fit and not overweight. Some people tolerate the constant pounding on their joints better and may be able to continue for a lifetime. Many others eventually have wear and tear that force them to quit jogging and result in conditions and pain that plague them for the rest of their lives. I jogged for more than 30 years (typically 3 to 4 miles 5 times a week) and eventually my knee cartilage wore out and back problems ensued, making it very painful to jog. I have always been physically fit and maintain a healthy weight (currently 5'8" and 150 lbs). My orthopedic (who has a national reputation and treats many famous athletes) claims that jogging wore out my cartilage and caused my lower back problems. I know marathoners who had to quit running for similar reasons.

I now walk, do elliptical, swim and use bicycle. I do one or two of these daily to maintain fitness. My advice to those who jog is to find other ways to stay fit. The long term consequences for most who jog are simply not worth it.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

I highly recommend the Couch to 5k program to get started: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
Jogging alone might not be enough to lose a bunch of weight, but it sure helps me feel better. I've noticed that the energy I get from regularly jogging 5k allows me to do other exercises with less difficulty - and it makes me less lazy in general. :happy
windaar

Post by windaar »

The 35 year old low-fat diet message, which has accompanied a substantial increase in obesity and diabetes, is being rethought by many authorities. As people cut out fat they replaced it with carbs and sugar. And the "fat free" label lets some people eat with abandon - my dad eating a whole package of Snackwell's back in the day, me eating a whole bag of "baked" potato chips. Why not eat less of the real thing? My "aha" moment was when I looked at the ingredients of our "fat free half & half" and found that it was mostly HFC. When we stopped buying all "lite" and "lowfat" products I lost 5 lbs in a month. Several friends have lost weight with the rule of thumb to reduce (not eliminate) "white" foods such as bread, pasta, rice, potatoes. Crash and fad diets never have long-lasting results, and unpleasant exercise regimens never last either. A 30-minute walk every night instead of TV or computer would be refreshing to both your mind and body, and it is a habit you could keep. Why not make August an experiment month? Beginning on Aug 1, consciously reduce carbs and sugar and replace with real food, and take that walk every day. I bet after 30 days you will look and feel better. Good luck - the fact that you have posted your concern shows that you can make the change.
Nobody knows nothing.
bcboy57

Post by bcboy57 »

anhttp://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0#d

sorry, johnep and especially your orthopedist....I respectfully disagree with both of you. See the NY Times article included and Google jogging and arthritis for more..
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

johnep wrote:
Sorry bcoy57, I respectfully disagree. Running is hard on the joints, even for people who are physically fit and not overweight. Some people tolerate the constant pounding on their joints better and may be able to continue for a lifetime. Many others eventually have wear and tear that force them to quit jogging and result in conditions and pain that plague them for the rest of their lives. I jogged for more than 30 years (typically 3 to 4 miles 5 times a week) and eventually my knee cartilage wore out and back problems ensued, making it very painful to jog. I have always been physically fit and maintain a healthy weight (currently 5'8" and 150 lbs). My orthopedic (who has a national reputation and treats many famous athletes) claims that jogging wore out my cartilage and caused my lower back problems. I know marathoners who had to quit running for similar reasons.

I now walk, do elliptical, swim and use bicycle. I do one or two of these daily to maintain fitness. My advice to those who jog is to find other ways to stay fit. The long term consequences for most who jog are simply not worth it.
+1

At 5'8" 140# and I had to quit running.

However, I think that with a proper gait and no prior injuries, one could run for lifetime without damage. Most of us are not as fortunate.

OP, Our body is like a savings account in reverse. You want more withdraws (burning calories) than deposits (eating). Of course, until you hit your number. :sharebeer
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

This is a good website for heath in general: http://www.berkeleywellness.com/fitness
I subscribe to their newsletter. There is a lot of good information for you to improve your health.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

For weight loss, you obviously have to burn more calories than you consume. The calorie in side is typically the biggest challenge. And especially challenging are calories from alcohol. With alcohol, you get lots of relatively useless calories, an appetite stimulant, and reduced self-control. And if you over consume, you'll likely sleep poorly and not workout the following day. So try to cut way back on any regular alcohol consumption.

That said, exercise helps a lot with creating the calorie deficit, speeding the process and having the additional benefits of stress reduction, better sleep, and cardiovascular health.

I find strength training with some high intensity exercises between sets is great. You get your heart rate up and build some muscle mass which really helps with increasing metabolism.

Social interaction / peer pressure can help keep you motivated and accountable.

Hire a trainer or join a boot camp type program. Or get a friend or two together, so long as you don't hit the bar for a couple beers after the workout!

Don't recommend those programs that focus on how many reps you can do quickly (crossfit?) as proper technique is important to avoid injury and setback.

Disclaimer: I'm not a professional. See your physician. Don't rely on anything I write.
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
junior

Post by junior »

For me, what works is a combination of a Fitbit one pedometer (to calculate how many calories I burn in a normal day from walking) the linked web site myfitnesspal (where I log everything I eat) and walking more (both outside sometimes but also at home on a treadmill in front of the tv)

It's a lot easier to do some treadmill walking in front of a treadmill desk for a lazy person like me than go to a gym. The fitbit one motivates me to walk more and tells me how much I need to walk in the evening to burn off any over consumption during the day.

You don't need to jog or do anything beyond walking and monitoring food consumption to lose weight, though jogging may have other health benefits.
Last edited by junior on Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Without getting into the pros/cons of the Weight-Loss Diet Food Fight, no "diet" will work if someone can't stick to it.
So that's the first thing in terms of what you eat.
There IS interesting new research on the "low fat" vs "low carb" debate, and there are MANY ways to implement each type - or any other choice - anyway.

As for "getting started" with exercise, what we did quite some time ago was to meet after work at a gym 2-4 evenings a week, and to "watch the news" while on a treadmill or elliptical.

We would have watched the news as couch potatoes anyway, so this seemed like a good place to start, without feeling like it was interefering with other activities or evening work-at-home, etc.

That led to more exercise and working out, something we continue to this day.

Sure, we had some "lapsed" times, and also gained some weight on vacations.
Now, we just figure, "we'll enjoy the vacation", gain a bit if it happens, but we'll get right back to exercising and regular diet when we are home, and get back to regular weight within a week or two (longer if the vacation was a "real winner" ;-) )

RM
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I'm in a similar position, and have been there from time to time. I'm having some trouble getting motivated to do something about it as I age, although the importance of doing it is probably increasing.

But when I have been motivated, I've found that a good thing to do is to head to the HS track in the evenings (or whenever is convenient), and then start out walking about 120-200 yards, and then jog slowly for about that same distance. Then walk the next 1/4 lap, and jog a 1/4 lap. Cover a mile or two if you can this way, and start doing it 3-4 times a week.

What should happen is that in a couple of weeks you'll increase the ration of jogging to walking. After 8-10 weeks you should be in shape to add some more distance, and possibly reduce the walking time. What I've found is that everything dovetails together. Once Im in shape enough to do a half-hour of steady "work" (jogging), it has an effect on my calorie intake and Im not as hungry, and not as likely to have a cocktail in the evenings either.

Jeff Galloway in Runners World has a whole philosophy of training for everyday people that relies a lot on walking rather than running (he was a world class middle distance runner).

In terms of weight loss, my practice has always been to start monitoring your weight and keep a chart. If you simply weigh yourself accurately every day and write it down in a calendar-like organization that allows you to compare your weight on the same day over a period of weeks, you'll get information about your body and your health that most people don't have. It requires a good scale----preferably a doctors type balance scale, which you'll be able to find on Craigs list used for less than $100, (and it will never break). I've never understood how people can control something that isn't ever measured, so that's my take on it.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Jerrybaby--

I think one key is minimizing the psychological obstacles to working out. Are gyms even good for you, or is getting to the gym a bigger obstacle than exercising? Is there a time of day when you can best slip a new routine onto your current life? (I work out at home, and my workout clothes are right by the door I come in, blocking me before I get to the sofa.) There's a lot of back and forth upthread about running, but walking gives you a ton of benefit too--are you someplace where you can develop a walking habit, or can you go someplace, like a park, to walk? While you're exercising, what feelings are reinforcing you? Do you like a chance to let your mind wander, do you want to feel like you're multitasking, do you groove on the numbers for weights and reps?

In general, it's less about how effective any particular workout is than the ways you find to make it part of your own routine--the exercise you do is always more effective than the one you don't.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tell us how much time you have to exercise each day or in a week. If you have no time, then you are not going to exercise no matter how much advice you get.

And as long as you are cutting out "white" food, cut out all the "brown" food, too. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Another suggestion is to get accustomed to walking "more" in general.

Instead of taking an elevator up 1 or 2 flights, take the stairs. Then up 3 or 4 flights.
This can become self-reinforcing, as you start to enjoy knowing you can dash up a couple of flights of stairs easily.
It can become a "personal best" kind of thing.

And especially in good weather, when parking in a lot, park FAR from wherever you are going, not "the closest spot".

Each little extra like this doesn't add much, but over time they all add up, and - more importantly - it all gets you into at least a bit of a different lifestyle and mindset, of generally being more active rather than less.

RM
Investapreneuer

Post by Investapreneuer »

I lost 50 pounds last year by abruptly switching my diet to nothing but fruits and vegetables. I went into "detox mode." For the first several weeks, no alcohol, beans, or nuts. Just fruits and vegetables. I dropped 27 pounds in month 1. 13 pounds in month 2. And 10 more pounds in the next two months. No exercise, just diet. I'm 6-foot-6 and weighed 265, so there was a lot to lose. I'm now 215. Have kept it off for over a year.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

fposte wrote: In general, it's less about how effective any particular workout is than the ways you find to make it part of your own routine--the exercise you do is always more effective than the one you don't.

Totally agree with this. Figure out what you enjoy doing and it will be easy to stick with it.

For me, I play sand volleyball twice a week with a regular group. I look forward to the banter, the people, the competitiveness, and the exercise. I find it easy to keep that habit. I also rock climb twice a week in the mornings. This is also an easy appointment to keep, because I have partners to climb with. The other weekday mornings I either take spin class (if I'm motivated to get up really early) or swim (we have a pool at work). Since neither of these is very social, they are harder to keep so I end up waffling a bit and sometimes need to settle for a quick swim.

And then you need to eat well too, of course.

So figure out what you enjoy doing. If it's a group activity, it makes it easier to stick with it. Pick up hoops? Hiking? Rollerblading in the summer and cross country skiing in the winter? Squash? Yoga?
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

For me, walking/hiking/biking are the cardio base (I have just never managed to be efficient enough to sustain running/jogging and swimming), combined with strength/higher-intensity conditioning workouts at the gym.

If you are lazy (I am) try to do walking/biking as part of your normal daily routine. I biked to the grocery store and walked to the library yesterday. A Fitbit has been super helpful for walking. I aim to get 15K steps per day and 25 floors... a good day is 20K steps and 75 floors...

I mainly work with a personal trainer for the strength/conditioning workouts, an expense my extra-frugal wife wouldn't consider but supports me doing as being far cheaper than the costs of me having a heart attack or stroke. :P
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

A trainer advised me treat 6 times a day. I tried it, and the weight just came off.
I eat only fruits, vegetables, beans, nuts, seeds. (Almost) no processed foods.
But the switch to eating constantly made the difference for me.
tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar »

You might want to try the Tiny Habits concept to help you get going:

http://www.success.com/article/tiny-habits
telemark

Post by telemark »

First, some general principles:
  • Investing should be boring, but exercise should be fun. If it feels like a chore you will start finding ways to avoid it. Look for activities that keep your attention focused, as opposed to ones so mindless that you feel the urge to multitask.
  • Buying a gym membership is a bit like hiring a financial manager: to put it kindly, their interests are not the same as yours. Educate yourself and learn to manage your own fitness. The best program is the one you can stick with, even if some expert says it isn't optimal.
  • As with investing, anything that promises quick results is probably bogus. But if you can stay the course, time is your friend :)
Personally, I recently took up skateboarding (or longboarding as the kids call it now). I don't recommend this for everyone or even most people, but I'm having a blast, and I've lost ten pounds. And I keep a couple of kettlebells at home where I can play with them whenever I feel like it.
walkabout

Post by walkabout »

Go for low hanging fruit first:
1. Try to cut all of the junk out of your diet that you can.
2. Cut back on alcohol. If you normally have two or three beers per day, cut back to one.
3. Watch the snacking! Watch your portion size!
4. Make some healthy substitutes. If you eat bacon and eggs for breakfast, try a healthier cereal.
5. Drink lots of water.
6. Increase your activity. Walk more. Park farther away. Take the stairs. Use work facilities (restroom, coffee, refrigerator) farther from your office.

Challenge yourself:
1. Start intentionally exercising. Increasing your incidental activity by some of the tips above will only get you so far. Walking is easy. Minimal equipment (good shoes, maybe some exercise-specific clothing). As soon as you walk out of your house, you are doing it.
2. Find a time that works and stick to it. Walking in the morning is nice because it helps start the day off right. Unfortunately, it can be hard to get up early enough (if you are still working). Afternoons can be good, but hot in the summer. Plus, do you want to walk before supper or after? If you walk before, that might mean supper happens later. Your family may or may not like that.
3. Weekends are great for adding a longer walk. Maybe just walking farther in your neighborhood. Maybe driving to a walking trail or greenway or some other walking destination (eg historic district, "rich" area, college campus).

Make it enjoyable:
1. I listen to audio books, podcasts, and Great Courses. I can really burn through my backlog when I am walking a lot. Plus, it gives me something to look forward to, in addition to the actual walking.
2. Music is always a good accompaniment to exercise.
3. I like to notice what kind of projects other people in the neighborhood are doing: remodeling, landscaping, etc. What service people are they using. What flowers/plants are they growing that I might like to grow.
4. I don't have to shoot the breeze with my annoying neighbor because "I can't stop, I'm walking!"
5. Don't be afraid to take a day off if you need one or want one. On the flip side, try to squeeze in some exercise when you are "too busy". If traveling, try to squeeze in some walking. If working a lot, try to exercise early so that you don't put it off.

The right equipment:
1. Prefer synthetic fabrics over cotton, especially for socks, shorts, and undergarments. Cotton absorbs and holds sweat, leaving you open to blisters and chafing. 100% synthetic socks, no cotton. I prefer boxer briefs (Champion, Under Armour) for breatheability, no chafing, and support.
2. Good shoes. Consider getting fit at somewhere like Fleet Feet. Be careful about ramping up mileage too quickly, especially with new shoes.
3. Fitbit (or other fitness tracker). I'm lazy so I don't use any of the non-automatic functions. I don't enter my food or water or sleep. I just let it count steps.
4. Headphones/earbuds. I have been using Bluetooth earbuds by LG (700 I think). I like them a lot. Light weight and unobtrusive. No cord to get in the way.
5. Hat. If you are walking in the sun, consider a hat. A wide brim hat might make you look like a doofus, but it keeps a lot of the sun off of your face and neck.

After you've seen some results, consider branching out:
1. Add in some body weight resistance, like push-ups, sit-ups, etc.
2. Consider joining a gym for a broader range of equipment and exercise classes.
3. Consider getting some equipment for home use, especially if you have a real winter where you live.
4. Consider biking (safely: helmet and no headphones).
5. Train for an event, like a 10k or a walk for charity.
6. Take up, or rediscover, a sport.

I should probably do some resistance training, but I don't yet. Walking and trying to eat better has worked well for me so far: 25 lbs lost in 10 months. That actually came pretty quickly. I've plateaued for a couple of months.

Good luck!
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

If you want to be fit, as opposed to simply lose weight, you have to exercise. Over decades (I'm older than you) and I have really come to appreciate the need to mix things up. I simply can't do the same thing day after day without getting hurt (other than maybe something really easy like going for a walk). I have also come to appreciate the need to add resistance training. I should have done more resistance training all along (I did some in some periods and not others).

I suggest something like the following, each a different day

Jog for 40 minutes (might have to work up to this)
Hard short intervals (run, bike, rowing machine is especially good as it is pretty well whole body)
Weights of some sort (machines, free, body, etc)
walk (active rest)
Hard short interval
Jog
walk

repeat

So each week has two long slow aerobic, two short anaerobic, one weights and two rest days

Of course there are an infinite set of similar permutations on this sort of theme, could be a different order, etc. But this gives a good mix of slow and fast, easy and hard, etc.

I like the train for an event idea if motivation is a challenge.

Best of luck
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I did not see if this had been mentioned, but could you also have sleep apnea?

I'd always snored somewhat most of my life, even in my 20's when I was pretty fit.

However, it got much worse in my late 30's and early 40's, as I was gaining weight slowly. I was starting to snore continuously, then waking up tireder than I was before.

My wife insisted I get checked out several years ago, and after a sleep test at my doctor's office, yup, it was sleep apnea.

I've used a [medical advice removed by admin LadyGeek] since then, and my life has greatly improved - much higher energy levels, no midafternoon nodding out (unless I eat a lot of carbs), and no more occasional drowsy spells while driving :shock:
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
telemark

Post by telemark »

wageoghe wrote:I like to notice what kind of projects other people in the neighborhood are doing: remodeling, landscaping, etc. What service people are they using. What flowers/plants are they growing that I might like to grow.
The other day when I was walking home I saw that one of my neighbors has a realistic looking fake owl on a balcony, and there was a real pigeon perched about three feet away, completely unconcerned. Priceless :D
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Rodc wrote:If you want to be fit, as opposed to simply lose weight, you have to exercise. Over decades (I'm older than you) and I have really come to appreciate the need to mix things up. I simply can't do the same thing day after day without getting hurt (other than maybe something really easy like going for a walk). I have also come to appreciate the need to add resistance training. I should have done more resistance training all along (I did some in some periods and not others).

I suggest something like the following, each a different day

Jog for 40 minutes (might have to work up to this)
Hard short intervals (run, bike, rowing machine is especially good as it is pretty well whole body)
Weights of some sort (machines, free, body, etc)
walk (active rest)
Hard short interval
Jog
walk

repeat

So each week has two long slow aerobic, two short anaerobic, one weights and two rest days

Of course there are an infinite set of similar permutations on this sort of theme, could be a different order, etc. But this gives a good mix of slow and fast, easy and hard, etc.

I like the train for an event idea if motivation is a challenge.

Best of luck
I would also suggest adding even 20 minutes into your morning routine of stretching, situps or other core exercise, push ups, pull ups, yoga etc. That can be done in conjunction with the other items I mentioned if you don't have time in the morning, but unless you have to be somewhere very early this would help round out the fitness routine without too much disruption of your schedule.

Also start slow. Better to take more time than needed to ramp up than ramp up too quickly and end up hurt and thus back to square one.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

telemark wrote:The other day when I was walking home I saw that one of my neighbors has a realistic looking fake owl on a balcony, and there was a real pigeon perched about three feet away, completely unconcerned. Priceless :D
A neighbor has a fake owl on his fence. I think I will go buy a fake pigeon and mount it next to it. :)
kingomri

Post by kingomri »

Here's what's been helpful for me. I myself am somewhat lazy. I've never really enjoyed being active that much - especially running, which I hate.
  • Exercise - lifting heavy on big full body lifts has been something I've enjoyed, and for a short 45 minute-1 hour workout 3x a week yields a lot of calorie burning. Since you're on the Bogleheads forums, you may enjoy numbers like I do. The biggest thing here for me was enjoying competing against myself and seeing the numbers I can lift going up. You may not lose a ton of weight, but you'll gradually transform fat into muscle and look way better. Look into Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength if you're unfamiliar with big lifts like Squat, Bench, Deadlift, Overhead Press - form is critical so you don't injure yourself.
  • Diet - if you drink soda, get off of it. That's probably the biggest and easiest change to make. Try to stay away from things with added sugar. They add calories but don't fill you up. Protein and fat make you feel full more easily than carbs, so focusing on higher protein and fat foods can help some (side note: research suggests that saturated fat isn't actually bad for you and has been unfairly maligned).
  • Appetite - Drinking a glass of water before each meal is an easy and healthy way to decrease appetite.
  • Walking is incredibly healthy. If you can find a way to work in a daily walk (or even less frequently), it can help tremendously. Sitting too much isn't healthy (sitting too much is one of those things I feel like I'll always have to actively fight.).
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

As I read this thread, I see the usual responses about how to exercise and how to diet which I think the OP knows about. There are some responses directed to motivation, but how does one get motivated to be motivated? Also what about the time commitment?

I ask this because someone close to me could stand to lose a few and also drink less, but claims they have no time. I would think that a dog nuzzling up to you to go for a walk would be motivation enough, but even that is not working. Healthy meals are subverted by unhealthy additions and snacking.

So let's assume that people know how to exercise and know how to eat right, but just cannot get motivated? A dog doesn't do it, so what does? A heart attack? What is the epiphany that leads to real action? Is a shrink called for?
skeptical

Post by skeptical »

Get a border collie.

You either will get the exercise you need by going out on long hikes, or you will get the exercise you need by fixing up the damage caused by a bored dog.

Seriously, has worked well for me.
etarini

Post by etarini »

You'll have to change both diet and excercise habits - it's good that you understand how you're going downhill faster and faster. Read this book:

Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond
by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge

We've bought copies for about 15 people we know, who sound a lot like you, and they've all liked it and it got them going. It's a slow process, but it sure is worth it to get your weight down and your fitness up! You'll not only enjoy your life more, you'll add years to it. But you already knew that.

Eric
Jodi

Post by Jodi »

livesoft wrote:As I read this thread, I see the usual responses about how to exercise and how to diet which I think the OP knows about. There are some responses directed to motivation, but how does one get motivated to be motivated? Also what about the time commitment?

I ask this because someone close to me could stand to lose a few and also drink less, but claims they have no time. I would think that a dog nuzzling up to you to go for a walk would be motivation enough, but even that is not working. Healthy meals are subverted by unhealthy additions and snacking.

So let's assume that people know how to exercise and know how to eat right, but just cannot get motivated? A dog doesn't do it, so what does? A heart attack? What is the epiphany that leads to real action? Is a shrink called for?
I have been motivated by a few things. I had let myself go in medical school and was my all time heaviest (except for pregnancy). I saw a picture of myself in a dress and voila! Lost 40 pounds in 6 months. I'm also a very competitive person. Signing up for races (from 5k to ironman) has been my best source of motivation. Just recently I had motivational problems since I just had a baby, up several times per night to nurse and working more than full time. I hired a coach. I know if she tells me to run I will get it done. It helps a lot that my husband throws the baby in the running stroller and comes along. Now I'm thinner than pre-pregnancy and can run sub 8 minute miles again. In the end motivation has to come from within. But knowing how your own brain works will help you choose your best motivational aid. Trying to motivate someone else is a much more tricky scenario because when done wrong it can backfire.

Jodi
Zapped

Post by Zapped »

@Jerrybaby - because you asked for guidance "to be fit" rather than "to lose weight", many replies have been focused on helping you get active. That's great because exercise is known to improve skeletal muscle insulin sensitivity, reduce stress (which in turn reduces appetite), burn glycogen stores so they doesn’t turn into fat, increase cardiovascular fitness, and improve cognition (reduce dementia). But exercise is not the primary lever you want to pull to lose weight - diet is.

Speaking anecdotally (as we all are), what's worked for me as a permanent change in nutrition (not a temporary diet) is...
* eliminate all added sugar (and no fruit juice as well)
* no grains or cereals including "whole" grains
* no starches (no flour, no rice, no pasta)
* no starchy vegetables (e.g. no potato, no slow-cooked beans, no corn)
* no beer (but dry wine or occasional distilled liquor ok)

A typical lunch or dinner is roughly 1/3 meat/fish/fowl, 1/3 green salad with lots of interesting veggie bits and a nice vinaigrette dressing, and 1/3 cooked vegetable (e.g. broccoli, cauliflower, green beans) with butter and salt/pepper to taste. What's missing are the old standards - rice or potato, or big crusty hunks of bread. Breakfast is usually eggs with sausage or bacon, coffee or milk as a beverage (no more orange juice), maybe some fruit on the side in season. The breakfast alternate is whole milk greek (strained) yogurt with vanilla and frozen organic berries added, plus some stevia or sucralose as a sweetener.

Does this mean I don't have a piece of cake on my birthday? Or even a waffle and maple syrup on Christmas morning? Or a pint of beer on vacation? For me, the answer is "of course not" - I do enjoy those treats on special occasions. But the prohibition list above keeps me more on track than prior attempts where I allowed myself any or all of those foodstuffs as a "reward" for a few days or a week's worth of good behavior. That's the way, in the past, I've allowed my weight to creep back up again. By internalizing this prohibition list I don't allow myself to let the fattening foods creep back into my diet as a regular thing, so when I veer off the path I also get a nice shot of "naughtiness" as a bonus ;)
- Jim in Austin, TX
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Jerrybaby wrote:The weight where I feel fit and healthy is from 195 to 200 lbs. Family calls me skinny at that weight.
Unless you're taller than 6'3" this is a problem. We tend to share the same habits of the people we hang around with. Ditching your family is probably off the table, so you're going to have to pay continual attention to eating less than everybody around you. This is a lot of work.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Paste an unattractive picture of yourself in very little clothes on the fridge door or mirror where you brush your teeth.

Hire a personal trainer and task them with hounding you.

Find a friend and make some sort of bet based on fitness (minutes per week of exercise, weight lost, strength gained, whatever).

Get a friend and make a pact that they pester you and you pester them to exercise.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

livesoft wrote: A dog doesn't do it, so what does? A heart attack? What is the epiphany that leads to real action? Is a shrink called for?
It's been my experience (not me personally) but from watching some of my coworkers that yes, the heart attack usually gets them motivated...
hiddensee

Post by hiddensee »

Losing weight is mostly a matter of diet.

Some people have a very fixed diet, so if they exercise, the additional calorie expenditure translates directly to weight lost. Others eat more because exercise makes them hungrier, and it doesn't make a lot of difference. The amount of exercise needed to make the calorie deficit impractical to bridge with additional food is not sustainable for most people.

I would focus on reducing calorie intake until you are at a comfortable weight, then ramp up the cardio once at that point. It will be hard to maintain motivation to train cardio if you feel hungry and weak all the time.

My personal opinion is to not go overboard taking all the alcohol, sodas, chocolate, etc. out of you diet. Sure you don't "need" these things, but you're not a machine, and consistent weight loss is more important than speed of weight loss. It's more sustainable to eat a similar sort of diet to now, but reduce portions across the board by 10-20%. Habits need to be built gradually and hammered home, so that they last for life.

Motivation really has to come from within. Just keep thinking about what you need to do, and the consequences of not doing it. If you need external motivation you will fail quickly or revert after you get comfortable again.
dpc

Post by dpc »

Losing weight is mostly a matter of diet.
+1. Your OP seems to equate getting fit with losing weight. These are related, but not the same thing. It's very difficult, if not impossible to lose weight just by exercising. I have a loved one who developed a major weight problem so I did a lot of research and reading on obesity. There is no really compelling scientific evidence that shows exercise helps you lose weight. You have to change what you eat. Exercise has a lot of benefits, but weight loss is not one of them. If someone has a peer-reviewed study that shows otherwise, I'd like to see it.

I read a story regarding an old football coach in Texas who was concerned about how overweight his assistants were getting. He said "I had them start running 5 miles a day, but unfortunately, they were still eating 10 miles a day".
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Motivation is a quandary. Certainly I knew I was fat and out of shape before I finally decided to do something about it. As a physician, I knew how unhealthy my sedentary lifestyle and poor diet was. Everyone has that final straw that pushes them over the edge, whether it is weighing yourself and being aghast at the number, seeing what you look like in that swimsuit, getting out of breath playing with the grand child, your doctor telling you that your blood pressure is getting to the point that you will need medication, etc etc. You can only do it from within, I don't think anyone in this day and age doesn't know that being a couch potato and a junk food junkie causes numerous health problems. I often hear on the Doctor Radio show that if everyone took up a healthy life style, 70% of health care costs would vanish. More and more studies are showing the truly amazing benefits of exercise on numerous diseases.
Check out these infographics:
https://www.google.com/search?q=benefit ... B450%3B300
One thing to remember, is that while it is difficult to get started, once you get into the groove you will really miss it when you have to miss your workout for whatever reason.
Mike
Dave_M

Post by Dave_M »

I also recommend this book:
Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond
by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge
Someone gave my wife a copy of this several years ago (for me, not her :twisted: ), but I basically ignored it. Two years ago I finally got tired of the slow but steady weight gain (5'11", 227lb at my heaviest), and decided to read it. An eye opener. We started actually counting calories, but more importantly, accounting for all intake.

The single largest item that jumped out was the 1000 to 1200 calories a day I was drinking (soft drinks, green tea (hey, that's better for me :oops: ) and of course alchohol (my 'medicinal' one glass of wine per day had become 2 (or half a bottle :!: ), one or two beers with lunch, drinks with the neighbors, etc. (Not all of these every day of course, but way too often)

So I quit drinking any calories. I was amazed how quickly I felt better, and the weight started coming off.

Second step, I weigh every morning and record it.

We bought a kitchen scale, and got serious about portion control.

We had always walked some, but got serious about working out, and got back into swimming (neither of us had swum a lap since college).

This morning's weight: 184.

Still losing slowly, and of course there have been some periods of backsliding, but overall the direction is good.

In addition to the book, having my wife fully on board (ok , she hounds me :D ) is critical.

Good luck, you can do it.

Dave
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Dave_M wrote:In addition to the book, having my wife fully on board (ok , she hounds me :D ) is critical.
Now there's a gender difference. Wives can hound husbands about weight and fitness, but can husbands hound wives about weight and fitness?
Gropes & Ray

Post by Gropes & Ray »

OP has a similar weight profile to my father, who lost 40ish lbs with paleo/primal diet. You could check out http://www.marksdailyapple.com to learn about it. It's basically eating nothing but fresh meats and veggies, while watching total carb intake.

I'll offer a +1 for the others who suggested lifting weights. If you want to lose weight quickly, there is no better way to crank up your metabolism, even when resting. Lift heavy weights this morning and you'll burn calories like a machine all day, even when sleeping.
rayout

Post by rayout »

What worked for me (195 lbs with no muscle to 170 lbs with muscle):

Diet:
I focused on food quality versus quantity. Have not counted calories or restricted intake during my entire fitness journey. Went low-carb for a while but have since increased carb intake but am still below 100 grams per day. I eat a higher fat diet along the lines of the Perfect Health Diet. 3 eggs per day, liver once a week and a bowl of home made soup (typically beef broth) once a day. Fresh fruit to refuel after work outs. No sugar other than my dark chocolate habit (a few squares per day).

Work outs:
Twice a week minimum, trying to go for three times a week.
1. 1 hour boot camp in a local park (sponsored by my park district). Light jogging followed by body weight exercises (squats, burpees, push ups). I stick around for 15 minutes afterwards to do some hanging exercises off of the monkey bars (pull ups, deadhangs, leg lifts, dips).
2. 30 minutes of jogging around the neighborhood
3. Pull ups, dumbells at home.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

1. It's easier to lose weight through diet than through exercise.
2. Exercise is highly beneficial for ALL aspects of your well-being. But it's less effective for weight loss than a diet.
3. A good approach is to do both exercise and diet--by emphasizing diet in the beginning and over time shifting the balance towards exercise.
4. The easiest way to diet is to cut off the carbs, including fruits.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Everything in moderation, including moderation.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson