Options/guidance for a lazy person to be fit

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
VictoriaF

Re: Options/guidance for a lazy person to be fit

Post by VictoriaF »

pennstater2005 wrote:Everything in moderation, including moderation.
In some cases, the barbell approach is preferable to the middle ground. With diet, abstention works better than moderation.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

I am a fan of weight lifting. By constantly changing up my routine and documenting progress I get motivated by the increase in my ability. My other motivation is that I want to live longer. I want to travel more, I want to be around for my grand kids when they show up. What's the point of saving all this money to then become a fat [(removed) --admin LadyGeek] and die of a heart attack at 55?

Life motivates me the most. If you want to choose life, then you will go to the gym.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

In reference to the comments on page 1, medical advice (which includes diet health claims) is off-topic. See: Forum Policy
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Here's a relevant exercise thread: Pull-ups and Push-ups
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mtbouchard

Post by mtbouchard »

Lots of great replies...but wanted to add my own distillation having gone from 200->175 recently(at around 37).

1) If you don't measure it, you cant control it. Weight yourself everyday. Write it down or use an iPhone App. This provides motivation, (as you make progress) memory of the goal at hand.

2) You body wants to find its balance naturally. If you're overweight, diet will eventually do that. Adding excise expedites that. Cut out sugar and alcohol and you are more than half way. Having even a tiny amount of muscle will burn more calories just at rest - and once you get to a decent shape with a routine, you'd be surprised how much you'll be able to eat and keep the weight off.

3) Exercise in a group...anything that requires meeting people at a certain time; I find I am 100x more likely to make that running group/spin class/bootcamp if its on my schedule, than if I have to think "Its 6pm its time for my jog".

4) The worst day of exercise is the first. Seriously. It gets better and easier as you lose weight and gain muscle. I did 3 half marathons - they were challenging - but at the end I felt great, as opposed to the first time I ran 6 miles when I felt like I was going to pass out and my knees were going to buckle. You body will adapt. I used to tell my self "tomorrow will suck worse" and eventually I got fast and its feels exhilarating, not bad, to run a 5K in 22 mins.

Those are my thoughts.

Matt B.
Greentree

Post by Greentree »

Crossfit, find a gym near you and try it out.

I took about a year of being lazy before I reluctantly tried it. It is so much fun. There are a lot of stereotypes and misunderstandings about it because there are some meat heads but the majority are very flexible, strong, coordinated and have good aerobic capacity. High intensity intervals are so much more fun and research shows just as valuable compared to longer duration workouts.

Olympic lifting, which is one focus of crossfit, is like golf compared to regular lifting which is like moving a stick back and forth. So much more technique to make it interesting.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

livesoft wrote:As I read this thread, I see the usual responses about how to exercise and how to diet which I think the OP knows about. There are some responses directed to motivation, but how does one get motivated to be motivated? Also what about the time commitment?

I ask this because someone close to me could stand to lose a few and also drink less, but claims they have no time. I would think that a dog nuzzling up to you to go for a walk would be motivation enough, but even that is not working. Healthy meals are subverted by unhealthy additions and snacking.

So let's assume that people know how to exercise and know how to eat right, but just cannot get motivated? A dog doesn't do it, so what does? A heart attack? What is the epiphany that leads to real action? Is a shrink called for?
You can't make someone be motivated or interested. It has to come from within. If the person in question is constantly making excuses about why he/she is not changing his/her habits, realize that the excuses may be signs of internal rationalization for not changing, rather than a lack of motivation. And for some people, not even a heart attack is enough to lead to an epiphany. You can keep gently reminding the person that these are rationalizations and that it's not hard to make the changes, but don't expect anything. However, be prepared to offer any desired help if the epiphany does occur.
VictoriaF wrote:
In some cases, the barbell approach is preferable to the middle ground. With diet, abstention works better than moderation.

Victoria
I think I like the essence of penstater2005's idea here though. There are a lot of extremes that one can find "recommended" on this subject. Extremes can burn people out rather quickly. Moderation (e.g. eat better, but it's okay if you don't eat perfectly; get more exercise, but it doesn't have to be extreme) can lead to more long-term lifestyle changes. And getting fit really is about making small, but impactful, long-term lifestyle changes.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

etarini wrote:You'll have to change both diet and excercise habits - it's good that you understand how you're going downhill faster and faster. Read this book:

Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond
by Chris Crowley and Henry S. Lodge

We've bought copies for about 15 people we know, who sound a lot like you, and they've all liked it and it got them going. It's a slow process, but it sure is worth it to get your weight down and your fitness up! You'll not only enjoy your life more, you'll add years to it. But you already knew that.

Eric
In my experience and strong opinion, motivation is the "key" that drives everything else. From a post here 3 years ago (about 1/3 of an 11 month weight loss of about 55 pounds), I got Younger Next Year and a book on how to use a Heart Rate Monitor. Last year, I also got the more detailed diet and exercise followup book "Thinner This Year" - My BMI went from over 30 (obese) t0 about 23 (well into "normal"), got off statins and 2 blood pressure meds. Take nothing for either cholesterol OR Hypertension. Go to the gym almost every day - and aim for 45-60 minutes aerobic exercise per day, alternating/rotating rowing, stationary bike, elliptical machine, versaclimber (arms/legs) and treamill/brisk walking. These books, and some others, were correct in how to build up exercise capacity EXCEPT it took me a bit longer and slower - but I got there. Since it is probably the case that different people are (or are not) motivated by the same things in the same ways, I suggest trying to find what works for you.

In my case, keeping track of time on each activity for each day (minutes, calories, etc.) really helps me keep up with the nearly every day schedule/routine.
tigerman3

Post by tigerman3 »

I second the mentions of Fitbit and MyFitnessPal. I bought a recumbent stationary bike and a Withings Wifi scale as well. I lost about 30 lbs in 9 months.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mudpuppy wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I think I like the essence of penstater2005's idea here though. There are a lot of extremes that one can find "recommended" on this subject. Extremes can burn people out rather quickly. Moderation (e.g. eat better, but it's okay if you don't eat perfectly; get more exercise, but it doesn't have to be extreme) can lead to more long-term lifestyle changes. And getting fit really is about making small, but impactful, long-term lifestyle changes.
My suggestion is not universal, and so I used a clause "in some cases" and referred to a diet. The problem with "moderation" in diet is that it's all too easy to trip, particularly with snacks, deserts and alcohol. If you keep snacks or deserts at home for the sake of moderation, you stress your willpower to destruction. Recent research of willpower shows that it gets depleted by the end of a day and something gives. Abstention from dangerous foods at home is much more effective.

With exercise, I would NOT recommend a barbell approach. (I mean it figuratively; physical barbells are fine.) Exercise should be done at the level one is motivated for and capable of. It should be on a continuum, with gradual increases.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
fposte

Post by fposte »

I don't know if there's any actual science supporting this, but there's a lot of conversation currently about some people being moderators (find it easier to cut down than to cut out entirely) and some abstainers, who, as VictoriaF suggests, can't have the stuff in the house. Probably worth exploring whether one rings truer for you than another.
brian2013

Post by brian2013 »

I would highly recommend yoga. My wife convinced me to go with her about five years ago while i was struggling with the stress and anxiety of a job that was not going well, and i quickly fell in love with it. It really does provide extraordinary benefits to the mind, body, and spirit. A good "vinyasa" or flow class a couple of times a week will give you a good cardio and strength workout. If you get into it, yoga will also change your thinking. You become much more aware of your body, how you feel after you eat this or that; how not to "react" to stresses throughout your day, etc.

I combined that with a "natural food" diet and dropped enough pounds that people commented on it. I highly recommend reading "omnivore's dilemma" or one of Michael Pollan's other books to change your thinking as far as your diet.

A turning point for me with yoga was this: after practicing for maybe six months or more, i went skiing in colorado for the first time in years. I was not the least bit sore after several hours of skiing. I remembered always being sore after taking to the slopes after a long hiatus.

best of luck
BrianJM

Post by BrianJM »

To increase stamina, muscle growth, energy, improve sleep, and lose weight, there is no better exercise routine out there other than resistance training (IMHO).

Many will suggest that beginners starting out solely on machines, but I do not. I recommend using free weights (dumbbell over barbell, when possible) for most areas of the body. If you start with low weights, you are less likely to injure yourself than on machines (they force unnatural movement patters and don't rely on smaller supporting muscles). The key is using proper form picking the correct weight (just enough so that you cannot complete the last set). Don't strain yourself; stay in control. Form is the most important aspect, second to selecting the right weight.

For 45-60 minutes, 3-4x a week, focus on resistance training. If you have a decent diet, this is all that is necessary for great results. Over the course of the first 4-18 weeks, you will see and feel a dramatic change in your life. The first 2-3 weeks, you will be very sore. If you feel too sore to work out, skip the day entirely and taking an ibuprofen or alike. Before you know it, you will be over this hump. This is about the same time you will start to have more energy. You should start sleeping better almost immediately.

In the past, I have achieved exceptional results using a basic routine like on this website (https://web.archive.org/web/20110208075 ... _forms.htm. Click the "Cycle 1", "Cycle 2", "Cycle 3" and "Cycle 4" links.

For "Day 1", use only dumbbells except the preacher curl (barbell).
For "Day 2", use only cable machines or barbells/dumbbells.
For "Day 3", use only machines.
For "Day 4", do as instructed.

Just google the exercise to see the proper form. If you are concerned or struggling, hire an inexpensive resistance trainer to help you with form and picking the correct weight.

By the time you get through "Cycle 2", as long as there are no underlying health issues, you will feel like a new man/woman.
swaption

Post by swaption »

There are no options for a lazy person to be fit.

First thing is you need to convince yourself that you're not a lazy person. Once you do that, you'll apply the same standards to yourself as you would other people. Discipline is not easy for others either. But you will likely find out is that the challenge makes it all that much more rewarding, besides the obvious physical benefits. The mind set then follows until you can't imagine being another way.

For years I would say that there was no way I could ever work out in the morning before going to work. But then there was no other option, so I did it, and then I kept doing it. And then I was a different person than I was before. Necessity is the mother of invention. How necessary is this for you?
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Every time you read this thread, you have to do 25 push-ups.

1, 2, 3, …, 23, 24, 25, keep going, …, 49, 50. Done.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

# 1. Cut out all soda and diet soda
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

+ [a moderate #]
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

surfstar wrote:
+ [a moderate #]
This thread is moderately moderated by the moderators.

Victoria
gtmn

Post by gtmn »

I've felt very unmotivated and out of shape, and here's how I turned things around.

1. Start low and go slow. Just doing 25 squats without weights every morning got me out of a serious hole. Because I was moving my body's biggest muscles, my energy increased. As my legs strengthened, I soon felt like walking. You don't need to go all the way down like a weight lifter, just go as far as you comfortably can go. Other easy exercises you can do at home are toe raises and bicep curls. If you start with high repetitions (25) you reduce risk of injury until you're ready to add weight. By doing this first thing in the morning, I start my day with more energy and an "investment" in my health that incentivizes me to keep my diet healthy too. Add a 15 minute walk onto this and you'll be amazed at how good you feel after one or two weeks. When you're confident that your back and joints can handle it, you can add more body-weight resistance exercises like pushups and crunches.

2. Have fun. My son is in excellent shape, but he dislikes "workouts". His exercise consists of his favorite outdoor activities like skiing, biking, and long-boarding. By doing things he enjoys, he does them more intensely and more frequently. My wife also does things she enjoys. She likes variety and socializing, so she walks, runs, and bikes with friends. If you can't do what you think is fun now, make it a goal of yours to get there. When I was at my worst shape, my son told me I was going skiing with him the next winter. There's no way I could ski, but my motivation to join him helped me stick to my workouts.

3. Be consistent. Small, consistent efforts are much more effective than infrequent bursts of activity followed by days of inactivity.

4. Track what you eat for 3 weeks. You can keep a simple journal of everything you eat or you can use myfitnesspal.com to track calories precisely. My wife loves myfitnesspal.com, but I just like writing things down. For me, just knowing that I'm going to have to write down "potato chips" and knowing that it won't look good to me when I review it later on makes it easier for me to skip the chips. After a few weeks of journaling food intake you'll be much more mindful of what you're eating and have formed better habits.

5. Read about the impact that fitness has on longevity and vitality after 50. The book I recommend for everyone - even those under 50 - is called "Younger Next Year". It emphasizes the importance of a balanced workout that includes resistance and aerobic training. After reading it you will know you have to change and you'll know why and how. It's a fun read.

6. Don't let setbacks demoralize you. When I miss a planned workout because I'm busy or exhausted, I have a small workout I do so I keep my habit strong and don't feel so bad about it. My quick workout is squats, pushups, and 7 Pilates exercises. It takes 15 minutes, but it keeps me on track.
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

1. I was extreme (my definition) runner for 10 years or so. 91 miles a week. Now I can't stand longer than 20 minutes without knees pounding pain. Running can be good in moderation. Nothing beats a running buzz. I still miss it.

2. If your plan involves going to a gym before or after work that will last 2 weeks. You must exercise at home. It saves time and eliminates excuses.

3. Get a machine, bike, eliptical etc.. and put it in front of spare tv in other room. I can do 2 miles on ellipical and watch netflix and it flys by.

4. Even though I put on so many thousands of miles earlier in my life and was super fit (once giving blood had nurse tell me she had never seen a resting heart rate as low as mine), it is twice as hard at 40 to take it off.

5. Do not buy any junk food or soda. None, zilch.

6. Premake breakfasts and lunch for work to kill hunger urges.

7. Get cholestrol tested. If that doesn't wake you up, nothing will.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

7. Get cholestrol tested. If that doesn't wake you up, nothing will.
My "wake up" was fasting blood sugar at 119, and Dr said, "Hmmm. 119 - pre-diabetes?" Scared the hell out of me - even though it went down to 100 in a few weeks - That got me started in weight loss, eating healthy and daily exercise. :happy
rallycobra

Post by rallycobra »

It's at least 80% diet. Exercise is only a small part. You can consume more calories in 60 seconds than you can burn at maximal exertion in an hour.

Cut out alcohol and carbs for a month. Learn about nutrition, and gradually introduce healthy carbs. Stay out of the middle of the supermarket. Get a trainer and do strength circuit training 3x a week for 30-40 minutes a session. You will be back in top shape in three months.
75% Total Stock Market US VTI | 20% Intermediate Treasury VGIT | 5% Gold GLDM/AAAU
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Many moons ago, I was a Director of Dietetics at a midsized medical center. We had a number of dietitians and dozens of doctors who each had their idea of what needed to be done.

The chief dietitian who was retired military and was approaching 70 and in great health had a lot of great ideas among them were:

1) Sending any patient home on a diet they cannot live on is doomed to failure. She refused to send patients home on 900-1200 calorie diets because they would not be followed.

2) Exercise is important BUT any exercise recommendation has to be realistic as to where the person is now. That means that you start out painfully slow until certain goals are met. Asking a 400 lb diabetic to run is unrealistic; walking 10 minutes one or twice a day is a good start.

3) Setting realistic goals like weight loss of 1-2# a week helps the patient to gain confidence to stick with the program.

4) Everything in moderation. If the patient eats bacon and eggs seven days a week, asking the patient to give it up cold turkey won't generally occur. Limit it to 1-2x per week.

=====================================

My advice. Find physical activities that you enjoy and do it. Our latest activity in the past month has been hiking a local closed golf course and keeping track of our local coyotes. In generally, we hike 2.5-4 miles nightly through the desert. On nights when we don't get out walking, we head to the pool and swim laps for 20-30 minutes.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Great thread. But...

While I see many excellent suggestions regarding diet and exercise, I'm still skeptical about how one person can successfully motivate another person.

The phrase "Motivated From Within" has been a mantra in my own life, but in all my adult years, I've had very limited success motivating others. And God knows, I've tried!

Recent studies showing that people with large weight loss generally put it back on again was discouraging. Yet, one must try.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesity-r ... -1.2663585

Finally, I'm waiting for Jerrybaby, the OP, to weigh in on what this community is suggesting.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
saladdin

Post by saladdin »

Jazztonight wrote:Great thread. But...

While I see many excellent suggestions regarding diet and exercise, I'm still skeptical about how one person can successfully motivate another person.

The phrase "Motivated From Within" has been a mantra in my own life, but in all my adult years, I've had very limited success motivating others. And God knows, I've tried!

Recent studies showing that people with large weight loss generally put it back on again was discouraging. Yet, one must try.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/obesity-r ... -1.2663585

Finally, I'm waiting for Jerrybaby, the OP, to weigh in on what this community is suggesting.
The truth is, you are 100% correct. I added my 2 cents above but really if asked my honest advice I'd tell the op "Don't worry about it because you won't follow through with any of the advice." Once you get to say, 40, you realize your mortality. Maybe, we/I have 25 more semi quality years left after hitting 40. We know it and still would eat pizza for breakfast if it was in front of us. Some of us will put up half a fight, excercise 30 minutes a day 3 times a week or start drinking diet sodas thinking that will help but that's not enough. If OP is a mature adult and a self proclaimed "lazy" than he knows what ever he does will last 2 weeks. Everyone posting here knows that. If you are 40ish and have a family you know you have to take care of your self for the kids and spouse but only 1 in so many people will do it. If kids don't motivate you, nothing will. If knowing you will die years before your spouse (as male statistically do) doesn't motivate you, nothing will.

There is so much worthless advice that sets people up for failure. Anyone that recommends cross fit (or whatever the fad of the day is) or PX90 or yoga or telling someone to cut out all carbs to a person who has never exercised since becoming an adult is wasting their time. It sets them up for failure. Watch those weight loss reality shows. They throw those people into "boot camps" and they lose all this weight, feel better about their self, told how pretty/handsome they now look, have family/spouses crying over how proud they are and what happens? Most go back to putting it back on.

So here is my 100% honest advice. Go to doctor and get tested for blood pressure and cholestrol and when they test high go get your medicine. Buy the cheapest excersise equipment you can because you will not use it after 2 weeks so save the money. Don't sign up for a gym because eyou will be paying a contract for someplace you will forget the address to.

I hope you prove me wrong but we both know the truth. I'll happily eat my words if you post some type of before pics and after pics in 6 months but we both know that time will be spent on taking some diet pills that don't work. Honestly, good luck.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The OP asked for the community suggestions and he has received a wide range of suggestions. Some suggestions are contradictory, but if at least one of them works for him--or others reading this thread--the community will have succeeded making its members healthier.

At the 20 July 14, D.C. Bogleheads meeting, a local member has recommended to me a book
The South Asian Health Solution: A Culturally Tailored Guide to Lose Fat, Increase Energy and Avoid Disease
by Ronesh Sinha, M.D.

I might buy this book even though I think I already know everything {laughing}. Based on the reviews Dr. Sinha recommends the following "metabolic 6-pack":
(1) Trim your waist circumference to less than 90 cm (35 inches) in males and 80 cm (31 inches) in females
[Remaining 5 of 6 metabolic suggestions removed, as they were specific medical thresholds (heart related blood components, blood pressure, glucose levels). See my post at the top of this page about medical advice. --admin LadyGeek]

Victoria
beachplum

Post by beachplum »

What works for me is doing an activity I love (contra dancing) 2x a week for a total of 5 hours plus cutting back on sweets. When not dancing I luv to walk or go for a bike ride and strength training in the past has always helped. No matter the opinions expressed here diet and vigorous exercise works best for me. I've thrown away money buying books on how to loose weight thrown money away on gym memberships and got bored with exercise classes. I found using an elliptical to be the most boring of all. Now I get to dance to live bands and with cute guys and the weight is fast falling off, and most importantly I'm not bored anymore. So op the hardest part is just getting started. Take it one step at a time and find an activity/s you enjoy. Was there something you used to love to do when you were younger? If you have no idea how to cut calories or you need group motivation, I would also suggest joining a reputable weight loss program to learn. Years ago I found weight watchers helpful. Keep in mind it's a lifestyle change not a quick fix.
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

OP -- you must be at least a little bit motivated, otherwise you wouldn't have posted here. Now you need to manipulate your schedule & living environment to maximize the likelihood that you'll exercise regularly. I agree with the posters who advised you to link exercise with activities you enjoy, whether that's watching TV, meeting friends, or being outdoors with your family. If you watch a lot of TV, buy a stationary bike, elliptical or treadmill and put it in front of the TV. Ask one or more friends to go running or play tennis with you, and any time you meet friends for dinner or drinks, try to add a walk beforehand or afterwards. If you spend a lot of time in the backyard BBQ-ing etc, buy a trampoline or put up a badminton net. You get the idea.

And don't expect too much too soon. Anything you end up doing on a semi-regular basis that you didn't do last year will be a massive improvement.
Lifut

Post by Lifut »

Admittedly, I've not read all the replies in this thread and similar things may have been mentioned multiple times. As I recall there was a large thread last year that was discussing the book, Body by Science. I'm not necessarily advocating that you go out and purchase this book and stick to it. What I am saying is that a big theme of this book is sticking with something that is sustainable and has science behind it. I lost a lot of weight and, if I do say so myself, started looking pretty darn good with a year of 3 runs a week coupled with a body building style of weight lifting also 3 times a week. That was all good while I was interested in it and motivated. I eventually started getting interested in other things (like investing!) and that was simply not sustainable for me, I'm sure it is for some. At this point, I lift weights 1 day a week for 15 minutes like the book I mentioned suggests. Yeah, the SO and I walk when it's a nice day and I might go for a run or hike occasionally for fun. The only scheduled, rigid, I gotta do it sort of thing is my one day a week, 15 minute, fairly brutal weight lifting session. My SO and I have been sticking to this for quite a long time. I'm sometimes very lazy and this seems totally sustainable. I hope this helps.
telemark

Post by telemark »

VictoriaF wrote: The OP asked for the community suggestions and he has received a wide range of suggestions. Some suggestions are contradictory, but if at least one of them works for him--or others reading this thread--the community will have succeeded making its members healthier.
There are many paths to fitness, even more than there are roads to Dublin :)
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

telemark wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: The OP asked for the community suggestions and he has received a wide range of suggestions. Some suggestions are contradictory, but if at least one of them works for him--or others reading this thread--the community will have succeeded making its members healthier.
There are many paths to fitness, even more than there are roads to Dublin :)
When in Rome do as the Romans do: get fit by becoming a gladiator.

Victoria